Menu

Let's say you are a great baker and a terrible cake decorator...

And let's also say you are making a killer chocolate cake to take to your MIL's on Thanksgiving. How would you--without a creative bone in your body and nary a decorator's tip to be found (not that you'd know how to use it anyway)--decorate said cake?

Said cake is a two-layer black chocolate cake with a deep chocolate buttercream frosting and a layer of white buttercream in the center, if that matters.

Thank you :coolgleamA:

I make great cakes and awesome frosting but I don't do decorating. Rainbow sprinkles fit all occasions !!!

:lol: Well, that is my fallback plan, but I'm hoping to go slightly more creative if I can. I'm considering doing something with chocolate covered coffee beans, but not sure about that yet. There's coffee in the cake mix, so maybe.

You sound just like me. I'm typically serving people who don't care about the presentation, just the food!

If peanut butter isn't a problem, you could use mini peanut butter cups as your border at the base of the cake and then cut several in half and make a star pattern in the center. I did one and will try to post the pic.

Also, you could just simply make extra frosting, making sure it's very spreadable and make it wavy rather than smooth. There's a picture of one of these in a Betty Crocker book. I can't find a picture for it but basically, you just use your spatula to make waves in the icing.

Make this easy glaze, then pour it over the chilled cake, pushing it over the edge to drizzle down the sides a bit:

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup water

3 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt all ingredients in a micro-safe cup or bowl & whisk till smooth. Allow to cool slightly before pouring over cake.

From Tea Party & Decorating Ideas site

Decorate a cake with doilies. Lay a doily or doilies in a pattern on top of a dark cake such as chocolate, gingerbread or even brownies. Sift with powdered sugar and carefully lift doilies. For the prettiest look, be sure to use a doily that does not have a solid circle of paper in the middle.

cake-decorated-with-doily2.jpg?w=120&h=107

In case you don't have a doily....My dh made a torte for a dessert auction last year. I cut out a paper circle the same size as the torte, and one of the kids folded and cut it into a paper snowflake. Then they unfolded it and put it on top of the torte and sprinkled the powdered sugar. It was really pretty. Several people thought it was from a professional bakery in town. :)

Cat

From Tea Party & Decorating Ideas site

Decorate a cake with doilies. Lay a doily or doilies in a pattern on top of a dark cake such as chocolate, gingerbread or even brownies. Sift with powdered sugar and carefully lift doilies. For the prettiest look, be sure to use a doily that does not have a solid circle of paper in the middle.

cake-decorated-with-doily2.jpg?w=120&h=107

I've done this before and it looks great!

Make this easy glaze, then pour it over the chilled cake, pushing it over the edge to drizzle down the sides a bit:

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup water

3 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt all ingredients in a micro-safe cup or bowl & whisk till smooth. Allow to cool slightly before pouring over cake.

Great minds think alike!

As soon as I read the OP I thought of a nice shiny chocolate glaze!

what julie said! :lol:

With all due respect to those who suggested sprinkles, please don't.

I LOATHE sprinkles. I hate the way they feel on my teeth and in my mouth. Your cake sounds too lovely for sprinkles (jimmies.)

:iagree: maybe sprinkle a bit of cake glitter...much less intrusive than hard sprinkles or as others have said shaved or grated chocolate.

With all due respect to those who suggested sprinkles, please don't.

I LOATHE sprinkles. I hate the way they feel on my teeth and in my mouth. Your cake sounds too lovely for sprinkles (jimmies.)

Let's get together! Non-Sprinkle People, Unite!

This is how I feel about both coconut and any kind of nuts in baked goods. Great way to ruin an otherwise lovely dessert.

I like nuts in baklava. I like coconut in macaroons. But put either of those into cakes, other cookies, or brownies, and it's ruined.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Thanks for the fabulous ideas, everyone. I love the candles, but I won't have time to get them by tomorrow. I think I'm going to go relatively simple and use raspberries if I can find them. If I can't, I may try piping white circles around the top and drawing a toothpick through them...maybe. Or I may just wave the icing like someone else suggested.

I appreciate all the input!