Menu

Why didn't I know about TURNIPS?!

They're ridiculous. WOW. Soooooooo good! Ate my first one EVER today, simmered until tender and then mashed with butter, and I just about died. Went out immediately and scammed a few more off my indulgent gardening friend.

A turnip--really??! I knew about the greens, and that's it. But these are high in Vit C and loaded with fiber and are only 35 calories?!

Now I'm worried. What other vegetable out there have I been missing?

LOL. My kids love turnips.

Next up?

Rutabagas

They are even good raw.

:iagree:

My kids love turnips too, and rutabagas are awesome. I love root vegetables. When you get done with all the root vegetables, go through the winter squash. Red Kuri is my current favorite, but I haven't met one we don't like.

OK! Mashed turnips & carrots makes an *amazing* T'giving side dish! It's the same as mashed potatoes, spices, milk, and butter -wise, but tastes a trillion times better. It's a family tradition here.

PS Not that any food smothered in whole milk, butter, salt, cracked pepper and roasted garlic isn't FAB!

PPS They are wonderful roasted! Cut into chucks, toss wilth olive oil, salt & pepper, pop in oven at about 350/375.

I have also diced them quite small, and put them in soups and stews.

Edited by LibraryLover
Just a simple mention of my issues with the Oxford comma.

What other veggies have you been missing? Well, my favourite less popular veggies:

- parsnips (roasted or mashed)

- beets (boiled or pickled)

- swiss chard (sauteed)

- bok choy (stir fried)

- endive (braised)

... and the one that is rare enough that people often don't know what I'm talking about, but is my ABSOLUTE favourite raw, and good in cream sauce too... kohlrabi. They're even easy to grow in my garden. They taste a bit like raw broccoli stem and look like space aliens.

I'm glad someone else suggested rutabaga. I've never tried turnips or rutabaga raw, but now I want to. I got two gorgeous rutabagas at the farmer's market the other day--so much fresher-looking than the ones I usually get at the grocery store.

I love turnips slow-cooked with a pot roast, along with the carrots, potatoes, etc. So good that way!

I've only ever cooked rutabaga the way my grandmother did--boiled til tender, then mashed with a ton of butter, a dash of salt and a good bit of sugar (though I try to use agave, honey or another sweetener instead of white sugar like she used).

So, my dh is from the country in England. Whenever we have a full roast meal with all the trimmings

Roast potatoes, parsnips, and turnips

Mashed rutabaga (swede is its name in the UK) with carrot (so yummy)

brussels, broccoli slightly steamed so still crunchy

cauliflower cheese

All so yummy.

I also love cabbage. I find a lot of people over cook them, I love them crisp!

Savoy (the crinkly green) with butter, salt and pepper

Red, slightly sweet cooked with juniper berries,yum!

They're ridiculous. WOW. Soooooooo good! Ate my first one EVER today, simmered until tender and then mashed with butter, and I just about died. Went out immediately and scammed a few more off my indulgent gardening friend.

A turnip--really??! I knew about the greens, and that's it. But these are high in Vit C and loaded with fiber and are only 35 calories?!

Now I'm worried. What other vegetable out there have I been missing?

Have you tried Rutabaga yet? Prepare similar to turnip. I cook them in soup as well.

Oh, I love braised red cabbage with juniper berries. Yum!

We also eat lots of Cole Slaw (German-style like my Grandmother made it with no mayo, and a dressing of olive oil and apple cider vinegar).

Bill

I grew up eating mashed rutabaga only, for some unknown reason it was called 'squash". I have no idea why, maybe it is a blue collar Irish thing? My mom's whole family does it and says everyone they grew up with did so as well.

Anyway, I love it and turnips as well!

In my town we have the international rutabaga curl competition! :lol:

Not just tasty, but good for sports and meeting with friends on a cold day. They can really bring a community together.

It is a fruit, not a vegetable, but you have not lived until you've eaten baked quince. It is sort of like a baked apple—only way better.

Great plain, but paired with a little high-quality French vanilla ice cream or clotted cream and it is dessert nirvana.

Bill

Bill, should I do anything to the quince before/while baking it, or just stick it in the oven as is?

Love all the other ideas too. I've had parsnips but they were in a giant bag of frozen mixed veggies so am pretty sure what I tasted was nothing like the real thing.

I've never heard of celeriac--what is that?

I have had kohlrabi at restaurants but haven't attempted it at home. Does it cook up like broccoli or need special treatment?

OK, so talk to me about brussel sprouts. Several of you mentioned those. I have tried them ONCE at an Italian restaurant, and they were so bitter I decided I could finish out my life never trying them again. Are they really worth giving another chance????

As for the turnips, I'm a little frightened to try them raw (it just feels wrong!), but will today. The cooked result tastes a lot like cooked cauliflower.

I came home with more butternut squash too; I'm going to try it roasted with carmelized onions on a white pizza for lunch, I think, since the photo made me drool.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

OK, so talk to me about brussel sprouts. Several of you mentioned those. I have tried them ONCE at an Italian restaurant, and they were so bitter I decided I could finish out my life never trying them again. Are they really worth giving another chance????

Try the recipe I posted. You are roasting them with red onions and basalmic vinegar, it makes them fairly sweet.

I came home with more butternut squash too; I'm going to try it roasted with carmelized onions on a white pizza for lunch, I think, since the photo made me drool.

I have a recipe where you use squash to make a mac-n-cheese type dish. It is so yummy!

http://www.marthastewart.com/339198/baked-shells-with-winter-squash

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My absolute favorite turnip recipe comes from Lane Morgan's Winter Harvest Cookbook. Melt a couple of anchovies in olive oil with garlic and rosemary, add thinly sliced turnips. Saute 8 - 10 minutes. Divine!

Morgan writes "Old, hot, corky turnips are no good for this (or anything else)" which leads me to wonder if this is the problem that the poor turnip has suffered. I encountered large woody turnips in my youth. My CSA provides small ones. The little Japanese ones are great in salads. The yellow French ones are amazing in the above recipe, but small white flats work too.

Another root that I have discovered in recent years is the parsnip. I recently made a pan of roasted roots and converted a friend to the joys of the parsnip. I suggest you try them.

So, my dh is from the country in England. Whenever we have a full roast meal with all the trimmings

Roast potatoes, parsnips, and turnips

Mashed rutabaga (swede is its name in the UK) with carrot (so yummy)

brussels, broccoli slightly steamed so still crunchy

cauliflower cheese

All so yummy.

We have sauteed cabbage here all the time. With olive oil, garlic and salt if I'm in a rush. Sometimes I toss shallots or onions in there, too. It's actually a favorite. It gets so sweet as it caramelizes. But we like it crunchy, too. It's not something you leave on the stove, you need to be there so it doesn't overcook.

The first time I tasted butternut squash was when dd was little and had squash as a baby food. Of course I had to taste it. I had never tasted squash (except summer squash) and I thought it was divine.

:001_smile: When #7 was eating baby food, she ate so many sweet potatoes, carrots and butternut squash, she actually turned a shade of orange. ALL of the kids remember it and call her Oompah Loompah.

OK! Mashed turnips & carrots makes an *amazing* T'giving side dish! It's the same as mashed potatoes, spices, milk, and butter -wise, but tastes a trillion times better. It's a family tradition here.

PS Not that any food smothered in whole milk, butter, salt, cracked pepper and roasted garlic isn't FAB!

PPS They are wonderful roasted! Cut into chucks, toss wilth olive oil, salt & pepper, pop in oven at about 350/375.

I have also diced them quite small, and put them in soups and stews.

Do you peel the turnips before cooking?

My childhood babysitter absolutely RUINED turnips for me. She made them mashed with brown sugar, blech. I can't eat sweet potatoes either though.

They do sound good roasted with garlic though. I always hated brussel sprouts until I recently started making them roasted with oil, garlic, and salt. Yum!

Do you peel the turnips before cooking?

It depends on the turnip variety.

Summer turnips -- the little white ones that often come with greens attached, I just scrub them -- these are probably the ones that were eaten raw in Farmer Boy.

Purple top turnips that you get in winter tend to have tougher, more bitter skins so I peel those.

HTH

~Moira

Bill, should I do anything to the quince before/while baking it, or just stick it in the oven as is?

Wash it, the skin sometimes has a little "fuzz." I cut then in half length-wise (take care with fingers as they are firm and knives can be prone to slipping). Then, rather like an apple, there will be a small bit of seeds you can remove with a small spoon. Then bake until soft.

To pick a really good quince smell it at the base. It should have a nice spicy-apple perfume. If it lacks smell it won't be a great quince.

They are also good poached in wine. I will sometimes add then to Persian style stews as the sweetness of the quince goes nicely with meat. There is also a paste that the Spanish call "membrillo" that is quince (with sugar) that is cooked down and cooled to become a paste. Membrillo is so good served with soft-cheeses and washed-rind cheeses at holiday gatherings.

I've never heard of celeriac--what is that?

It is also called "celery root." It tends to be roughly the size of a cantaloupe (but less round). They are brownish and white on the outside, pretty ugly actually as there are little roots and fibers sticking out of the thing.

One needs to clean up the celeriac root with a vegetable peeler. The inside is white. Then one can bake it or boil it much like a potato. They are very versatile and have a pleasant celery-like taste.

Do cook the kohlrabi tops, they are delicious and many people throw them way. The kohlrabi root has a tough skin (like broccoli stalks, but more so) that is best to remove with a vegetable peeler, otherwise you will have some tough chewing in front of you. Also watch your fingers cutting unpeeled kohlrabi as they can also make knives slip. One peeled the inside is much like a big piece of peeled broccoli.

Happy eating!

Bill

It is a fruit, not a vegetable, but you have not lived until you've eaten baked quince. It is sort of like a baked apple—only way better.

Great plain, but paired with a little high-quality French vanilla ice cream or clotted cream and it is dessert nirvana.

Bill

You are the first person I found in the U.S. who eats them!!! They are native to my homeland, so yes, baked with some sugar, yam, yam! I finally planted a quince tree in my garden. They also have medicinal properties (great for coughs).

Parsnips, turnip, brussels sprouts and suede/rutabagas:confused: are staple veggies here.:D Now sweet potato/yams and any sort of squash/pumpkin are newer here and many are only available seasonally. In fact, only this last 2 years have there been any squash other than butternut and jack o lantern pumpkins in the supermarkets here.

Try this..

Maple syrup glazed roasted parsnips.

Yum.:D

You are the first person I found in the U.S. who eats them!!! They are native to my homeland, so yes, baked with some sugar, yam, yam! I finally planted a quince tree in my garden. They also have medicinal properties (great for coughs).

I have read speculations that quince may have been "the fruit" in the Garden of Eden. Of course quince-aficionados are so fanatical that one should never suspend disbelief :D

Bill

I have read speculations that quince may have been "the fruit" in the Garden of Eden. Of course quince-aficionados are so fanatical that one should never suspend disbelief :D

Bill

Well, that makes perfect sense. You do know the story about how we got our land? This is how it goes. God was distributing land to all the different nations while my tribe spent the day feasting and forgot to show up for their slice. Finally God saw them drinking and singing and told them sorry, I don't have anything else left. My people told God, but God, we have been drinking in your honor and praising you all day. So God took pity on us and gave us a little slice of land he was saving for himself. :lol: See, makes perfect sense. :lol:

Well, that makes perfect sense. You do know the story about how we got our land? This is how it goes. God was distributing land to all the different nations while my tribe spent the day feasting and forgot to show up for their slice. Finally God saw them drinking and singing and told them sorry, I don't have anything else left. My people told God, but God, we have been drinking in your honor and praising you all day. So God took pity on us and gave us a little slice of land he was saving for himself. :lol: See, makes perfect sense. :lol:

Love it! :D

Bill

And celeriac is delicious.

Bill

:iagree:We love turnips, parsnips, and celeriac!

A couple of other veggies I haven't seen mentioned yet that we enjoy are:

Fennel

Leeks (I don't know how I reached 28 without ever eating these, I love them!)

Delicata squash (absolutely the best, sweet winter squash and easy to peel because they are so small)

Cheddar cauliflower

Kale - we add this to everything