Menu

Disney parks poll!

Which Disney parks have you been to?  

1. 1. Which Disney parks have you been to?

• Disneyland California
    • Disney World in Florida
    • Tokyo Disney
    • Disneyland Paris
    • HongKong Disneyland
    • Shanghai Disneyland
    • None, but we have a trip planned
    • None, but hopefully some day
    • None, it's not our thing
    • Other

Disney World and Disneyland. Love them both, but if I have to pick, WDW's my place. My observation is that people generally prefer whichever one they went to first or whichever one's their "home park." I would LOVE to go to Tokyo Disneyland and (especially) Disney Sea.

I went to Disneyland as a kid and we both attended early in our marriage (we were stationed in CA), but the kids haven't been there. We have done the Disney World thing a few times now, which I love! We went to Disneyland Paris a couple of times when we lived in Germany.

It is fun to compare the various parks. I hope we get to the other parks some day!

I want to drive the Jungle Boat. Can you apply for that specific job?

:iagree: I would totally drive the Jungle Boat!

The gentleman that boarded us on the Wildlife Express in AK told us he had retired to FL to work at WDW and was going to be retiring from WDW to Aulani, the new Disney resort in Hawaii. Yes, I could totally see doing something like that :D.

:iagree: I would totally drive the Jungle Boat!

The gentleman that boarded us on the Wildlife Express in AK told us he had retired to FL to work at WDW and was going to be retiring from WDW to Aulani, the new Disney resort in Hawaii. Yes, I could totally see doing something like that :D.

That resort was near where we lived in Hawaii. We went to the beach there all the time and saw it slowly building up. It looked pretty amazing, but was still unfinished when we moved of course.

I'm answering your poll from the Bay Lake Towers, aka the BLT. :D.

My kids call DisneyWorld their second home. ;)

My DH was so happy that our Jungle Cruise driver had new jokes this time! The funniest part, though, was our 4 y.o., who took every thing she said so seriously. Every time she yelled, "Get down!" he ducked down as far as he could with this expression of total seriousness/slight terror.:lol: I half expected him to declare himself done with that ride for the rest of the trip, but instead he exclaimed, "I love that ride!"

We love DisneyLand, too, but "the World" is ours. And the cruise. We've done that so often some of the cast members recognize us. Love it.

We've been to both Disneyland and Disney World multiple times. I love them both for different reasons. I prefer Magic Kingdom in Disneyland over the one in Disney World. It's more intimate and has Walt's personal touch all over it. However, Disney World is a vacation with a capital "V". We're going for two weeks in May. I would move in if they'd let me. :lol:

I grew up within a mile of Disneyland, watching the fireworks every night from our alley. Bedtime for all of the kids in the neighborhood was "after the fireworks". So I've been there many times.

After living here for more than a dozen years, I finally got to go back. It was barely recognizable! I liked Downtown Disney but wasn't too impressed with California Adventures.

Isn't Shanghai Disney not even open yet?

That was a very awkward sentence, sorry :P

eta: 2016 is the planned opening date, so if someone actually picks that choice, we can suspect they are from the future ;)

Edited by Ailaena

Well, I am at Disney right now! WDW. When we lived in CA we almost always had annual passes to DL.

I wanted to go to the one in HK when we were there a couple of years ago, but we ran out of time.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

We live internationally so when we travel we try to make a way through some Disney park. Dh wants to see them all. We've been to Hong Kong, Paris, WDW (many times), and CA. We are going to Tokyo in about four weeks on our way home for Christmas.

They are all great. I mean even a bad day at Disney is a pretty good day. But my favorite is still WDW. :)

I've only been to Disneyland, but I went twice, and that was waaaaaay back when I was 12 and 15yo. At 12yo it was a school trip for 6th graders, so a huge deal. At 15yo we took a rare (as in 1 of only 2) family vacation. No one else in my family has ever been to a Disney park. My mom thinks we're totally depriving our kids by not taking them. :glare:

I've been going to WDW since the year it opened, and it still hasn't lost any of its charm for me.

It opened 2 years after we moved to Florida. Every relative we never knew we had suddenly wanted to visit us (read: free hotel) while they checked out WDW. The magic just isn't there for me, but I'm not a big fan of Disney anyway. I don't mind going, but I won't pay to get in anymore. We have a number of ways to get in free.

I have told dh we should retire in Florida so that we can work at Disney. :D

I understand they're not fun to work for.

my favorite is Universal Studios.

We're still hoping to go to Universal sometime in the next few months. We haven't been in 3 years, and are really looking forward to Harry Potter World.

I chose None, it's not our thing.

But my real answer is: I will consider motherhood a success if I never step foot on Disney property.

My sil/bil offered to treat us to a Florida/Disney/Epcot vacation a few years ago. We turned it down.

Waaaaay too overwhelming.

Well to each their own, I say. I will consider motherhood a success if my family does things together and in happiness. For us, Disneyworld fits that equation. I can see it's not for everyone- but for us--- there has been many magical memories made there. I have many fond memories of being a kid and experiencing it with my parents and siblings. I enjoy it even more as an adult and re-experiencing it through my children's eyes. (And my parents claim going with grandchildren is the absolute best. ) :D

We're still hoping to go to Universal sometime in the next few months. We haven't been in 3 years, and are really looking forward to Harry Potter World.

Really? I never heard that. I have tons of friends who worked there out of high school while they were going to college. They all loved it and had awesome experiences. 6 of them ended up staying with the company to this day.

I had some friends work out of Universal and a handful of them hated it while the rest had no problems with it. Those that hated it though seemed to have issues with other individuals there and not the company itself, for the most part.

That really depends on what kind of work you plan to be doing.

DH worked for Disney for over 2 years in CA in the tax department. He was in a real office up in Burbank but got Disney benefits. It was fine.

We have a couple of friends who have worked for Disney and loved it. One did productions in corporate and the other did animation in the IT department developing Disney online computer games.

Now, working as a cast member and telling people, "lines 2 and 3 please" over and over again does NOT sound like fun, but there are jobs that would be more appealing to me.

I even considered at one point working as a teacher on the studio sets, but I wasn't willing to give up my tenure in my district nor was I willing to work the longer hours necessary to do the job. There is no guarantee on those jobs.....if the show goes under, you may not be needed any longer.

They also preferred Elem. Ed. teachers and I taught HS so I wasn't sure I would even get a job.

Dawn

I'm a huge Disney fan, we own DVC and go to either CA or WDW once every 18 - 24 months (next trip is in January and will be 26 months from the last one)...

For those who don't like Disney for whatever reasons, I think a lot of this has to do with how it is approached.

It is what it is. It is not an authentic cultural experience, although Epcot is awesome. It is commercialized, but you don't have to buy the t'shirt.

Many of my in-laws were adamantly anti-Disney because of how "fake" it all was, etc., etc., until I sucked them in to my pro-Disney world. Now they are converts.

Again - it is what it is, and if you don't expect something else, and go with the flow, and just try to have fun and not analyze it, it is a blast - and a really wonderful way to spend a week with family.

No matter how one feels about it, I think trying it once - just once - so that at least there is a "been there, done that, still don't like it" aspect to the rejection is important. But go during off-season, stay on-site, and take some days to just relax without going to a park, or you'll probably hate it.

The people I have known who have worked for Disney as *adults* have liked it. I have a friend (who is a mom and everything) who currently works at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and loves it. It is probably also a personality thing. By the time dh actually retires, we will (both of us, even though I don't get paid) have been working really hard for a long, long time. I really think we will be ready for a non-taxing job.

Really? I never heard that. I have tons of friends who worked there out of high school while they were going to college. They all loved it and had awesome experiences. 6 of them ended up staying with the company to this day.

I had some friends work out of Universal and a handful of them hated it while the rest had no problems with it. Those that hated it though seemed to have issues with other individuals there and not the company itself, for the most part.

Yes, really. I have a number of friends who worked there over the years, and very few have good stories. The ones that do, worked there in the 70's, when WDW was still young, there was only one park, and working there was a decent job. The ones I know that currently work there are just putting in their time until they can leave with decent benefits.

is about how some cast members are treated today.

No matter how one feels about it, I think trying it once - just once - so that at least there is a "been there, done that, still don't like it" aspect to the rejection is important.

Definitely! It took many trips, and hearing a lot of insider information before I decided I was done paying to go. Notice I said "done paying to go". I'll still go if there's a way to get in free(a friend who works there, parade taping, etc.). I'll still have memories of E ticket rides. I just don't idolize the Disney Empire. I have friends who are total Disney lovers, buy annual Florida resident passes and go almost monthly. To each their own, but at least go if you have the opportunity. Then decide if it's for you or not.

Yes, really. I have a number of friends who worked there over the years, and very few have good stories. The ones that do, worked there in the 70's, when WDW was still young, there was only one park, and working there was a decent job. The ones I know that currently work there are just putting in their time until they can leave with decent benefits.

is about how some cast members are treated today.

Most of those stories are complaints about insurance costs and low wages. Those problems currently exist with many, MANY companies. It certainly isn't just Disney. Left to themselves most corporations do not do the right thing by their employees. eta: In our case, we'll have insurance and retirement pay. This would be an extra job for us.

Mrs. Mungo, does your dh have a job in the army that doesn't translate well into civilian life? My dh wants nothing better than to continue working in his field- though which particular specialty is up in the air- and I am sure he will be able to. I have brought up with him that I would be fine if he retired and went to making his hobby his new career but he doesn't want that. He likes his work and his hobby (actually he has hobbies but only one that is a potential money maker).

We live in Canada and our family has been to WDW many times. We consider the Polynesian to be our "home away from home". When we step off the bus into the hotel we always give a big relaxing sigh. We know what to expect and where to find everything.

We went to Europe this summer and did stay just outside of Disney Paris. We decided not to go into the actual park. The outside are (small and akin to Downtown Disney) was fun but just not the same. As Disney does not own the area in front of the train station (almost attached to the parks), it was dirty here with sidewalk vendors trying to sell us souvenirs. We really didn't like the feel and we felt that we would be comparing everything to WDW so we stayed away.

Mrs. Mungo, does your dh have a job in the army that doesn't translate well into civilian life?

He is in logistics, it translates perfectly into civilian life. We know lots of people who have gone on to Fortune 500 companies or contractor jobs. When I say, "retire," I mean retire from whatever second job he takes after he does his 23 years or whatever he decides to do. I didn't just mean retire from the military. :)