Menu

Penn State's Joe Paterno has been *fired*

So far I've not heard a single mention of the two things real men should have done in those situations: 1) *immediately* stepped in to protect the child from the assault and 2) dialed 911 or child protective services. Instead, it sounds like they all dialed up their immediate supervisors to protect their own butts and protect the reputation of the football program.

That was my immediate thought, too. The Grad Asst. who fled while a 10 year old was being abused! Are you kidding me? Stop it right then, call the cops, help that poor child. Sick. I am glad there is some fallout, but I agree it isn't enough. I pray for those children.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

I think the major horror is that adults could stand by and let a predator continue to have full access to vulnerable children for *years*.

Without that complicity, there would not have been so many tragedies.

I am heartbroken that this evil man hurt even one child, but the utterly, disbelieving horror, is that there were multiple pieces of evidence (including the man's admission to showering nude w/ two 11(?) yr old boys and 'fondling' them. *before* the witnessed rape (something the coach knew about.... and which make even the most mild report from the assistant highly actionable)) ... and there was no sense that protecting kids should be the highest priority.

I think it is, in some ways, a greater evil than that done by the rapist himself - to turn away and not act when you see/know such things are happening.

:iagree:

I'm sorry, but "success with honor"? Really? There is nothing whatsoever honorable about allowing a pedophile to run rampant across your university, using your facilities to commit sodomy at every convenient occasion.... There would have been honor in yelling "rape" loud and long at the first hint of it - but there is no honor in covering it up and allowing it to continue for YEARS and to potentially dozens of boys who might have been saved but for the silence....

And do we really believe that Sandusky didn't start this until he was in his 40's? Really?

I'm sorry, but "success with honor"? Really? There is nothing whatsoever honorable about allowing a pedophile to run rampant across your university, using your facilities to commit sodomy at every convenient occasion.... There would have been honor in yelling "rape" loud and long at the first hint of it - but there is no honor in covering it up and allowing it to continue for YEARS and to potentially dozens of boys who might have been saved but for the silence....

And do we really believe that Sandusky didn't start this until he was in his 40's? Really?

I'm stunned at the rioting. Have any of these people read the grand jury report? Do they really not know the first thing about the traumas and deep scars that child rape leaves? Are they that invested in a college football team?

The report shows a very clear pattern of behavior. This has been going on for years and years. It's been covered up for years and years. There is now way I could remotely support anything but the firing off all who knew and didn't go to the police (I don't give a rip about going to the admin at the college. That's not doing anything but covering one's rear.) immediately.

I heard this earlier on ESPN2 radio (I am sure that most of it is public knowledge, but I think worth mentioning) -- The grad Ass't, McQ, was 28 years when he witnessed Sandusky attacking the 10 yr old. McQ WAS NOT a kid -- at 28, one would expect a different response, at least I would.

McQ (who is still listed as the Ass't Penn State Coach two days before Saturday's game) is a LARGE individual. He is a former college football player -- he's not a 90 lb weakling. He probably could have and most definitely should have taken out Sandusky easily in the showers when he witnessed the attack, and he probably could have brought that little boy to safety.

The fact that McQ chose as his response to call his father just smacks of stupidity, a culture of fear on campus, and a generation of men who had already been looking the other way for years.

McQ should be fired before lunch today, imo.

I heard this earlier on ESPN2 radio (I am sure that most of it is public knowledge, but I think worth mentioning) -- The grad Ass't, McQ, was 28 years when he witnessed Sandusky attacking the 10 yr old. McQ WAS NOT a kid -- at 28, one would expect a different response, at least I would.

McQ (who is still listed as the Ass't Penn State Coach two days before Saturday's game) is a LARGE individual. He is a former college football player -- he's not a 90 lb weakling. He probably could have and most definitely should have taken out Sandusky easily in the showers when he witnessed the attack, and he probably could have brought that little boy to safety.

The fact that McQ chose as his response to call his father just smacks of stupidity, a culture of fear on campus, and a generation of men who had already been looking the other way for years.

How does he sleep at night? If I had seen the eyes of a child looking at me in that situation and I did nothing to help them - right then or actually ever as it turns out - I could not rest. I simply couldn't. I would have probably wound up arrested myself and I can tell you that man would have not had the capability to hurt another child after I was done. At the very least yelled out - STOP! - called the cops.....

I'm glad. You know a child got r@ped and don't do anything about it, you deserve way more than getting fired. There's a special circle of hell reserved for you.

I'm glad to see that he wasn't protected just because he's some sports bigwig. I hate it when the famous are given a pass. And sports fanaticism in this country is at a sick level.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

How does he sleep at night? If I had seen the eyes of a child looking at me in that situation and I did nothing to help them - right then or actually ever as it turns out - I could not rest. I simply couldn't. I would have probably wound up arrested myself and I can tell you that man would have not had the capability to hurt another child after I was done. At the very least yelled out - STOP! - called the cops.....

Precisely! It could have stopped 'there.' It sickens me.

I've had this on my mind all morning. I think I'm still in shock over the vastness of it all. I don't know how many people have been touched in some way by this. Besides the heartbreak for all those poor boys, their families, everyone who knew fact and those who heard rumor, the employees and families of employees, the loyal fans...the whole thing is so far-reaching I can't imagine them finding an ending point. I wonder who will be fired today. At first I thought the school was having a knee-jerk reaction to try and quiet the situation down as quickly as possible, but now I can't see it ever being quiet. It shouldn't be.

I wonder who will be fired today. .

I think Mike McQueary should be fired -- immediately. I think his father should be brought up on criminal charges.mcquearypaternox-wide-community.jpgLook at the size of McQ (even if he wasn't standing next to a shriveled up old man) it is easy to see that he is a BIG man. He could have stopped the attack on that boy easily, imo.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I think Mike McQueary should be fired -- immediately. I think his father should be brought up on criminal charges.mcquearypaternox-wide-community.jpgLook at the size of McQ (even if he wasn't standing next to a shriveled up old man) it is easy to see that he is a BIG man. He could have stopped the attack on that boy easily, imo.

Wow! Disgusting! For some reason, seeing how big he is really does make it worse.

really, he and anyone else who knew about the crime and did nothing should be fired.

The problem is for some reason some people, especially older men, do not view such acts as true crimes. They prefer to ignore it, which is why it has been such a problem for so long. Too many people look the other way.

This, I don't think Paterno should be the end of the firings at all. There are public school officials in the town, police and more.

I'm a huge Joe Pa fan--but this is just plain indefensible.

I do believe he has shown himself to be a good man in other ways, and I hope his heart is so bothered by this and he feels such a heavy burden of guilt that he just can't stand himself--

I know that doesn't sound like enough punishment, and perhaps there should be legal ramifications. But a basically decent, moral man who does something like this WILL feel the weight of the sin of himself and Sandusky and the others, and that is a crushing, crushing burden--and it should be. It should be the biggest regret and even terror of his life. He should do all he can to make some sort of restitution to the families and the boys and the community. It won't take away what he has done, or what was done to the boys. But he should do something.

I feel for him. Maybe that's not PC or even wise, but I do feel for him. I think he might be glad, in a way, that the secret is out, because secrets like that are their own burden.

I'm glad. You know a child got r@ped and don't do anything about it, you deserve way more than getting fired. There's a special circle of hell reserved for you.

I'm glad to see that he wasn't protected just because he's some sports bigwig. I hate it when the famous are given a pass. And sports fanaticism in this country is at a sick level.

Tara

:iagree: I hate to just say I agree to a post, but you summed up my thoughts precisely. In fact, my dh and I were discussing the special circle for them this morning. Can you believe that Paterno was first told about this in 2002? I just read that. They knew something was going on and let it continue for years. How many children could have been spared?

I do believe he has shown himself to be a good man in other ways, and I hope his heart is so bothered by this and he feels such a heavy burden of guilt that he just can't stand himself--

I know that doesn't sound like enough punishment, and perhaps there should be legal ramifications. But a basically decent, moral man who does something like this WILL feel the weight of the sin of himself and Sandusky and the others, and that is a crushing, crushing burden--and it should be. It should be the biggest regret and even terror of his life. He should do all he can to make some sort of restitution to the families and the boys and the community. It won't take away what he has done, or what was done to the boys. But he should do something.

I feel for him. Maybe that's not PC or even wise, but I do feel for him. I think he might be glad, in a way, that the secret is out, because secrets like that are their own burden.

:iagree: I also think the students/fans/alumni just don't know how to reconcile it all. Nobody expects him to be perfect -- it's easy to forgive lesser offenses in light of all the good he has done -- but this is just so BIG and overshadowing.

And sports fanaticism in this country is at a sick level.

You know, our family are HUGE sports fans. Huge. However, I just can not imagine a world where loyalty to a sports program overshadows the desire for children to be safe.

You can bet your sweet bippy that if Ron Washington (Texas Rangers manager) were in the position of Joe Pa, I would be calling for the exact same thing. I has nothing to do with "who" he is and everything to do with what he didn't do. If he doesn't have the judgement to do everything in his power to stop abuse he knows is happening, then he doesn't have the judgement to run any sort of program for young adults.

I've been kind-of in shock since hearing about this. Its just too awful to wrap my mind around.

But I can't not respond to this. I don't know you or how you know JP. Basically decent moral men don't do what JP did. They just don't.

I want to quote so many of you but especially Eliana. Spot on girl.

How McQueary didn't blurt out, "What the he!! are you doing?" at minimum is what I don't understand.

All these men worrying about the chain of command and dotting i's and crossing t's. Holy crap, you walk by the shower and see something you've never seen before, something horrible and don't have anything to say? Really? He's not a man. He's a <insert expletive here>. (PM me if you want the one I"m thinking.)

read the news this morning. Riots on campus by students angry about Joe's firing. They don't want him FIRED!:svengo::svengo:

Those poor kids and their parents who have to hear about students not wanting their precious coach fired and completely forgetting about the true victims. I'm going to have to take a break from the news because it's just becoming too much. I can't believe how people are reacting.

I have no problem with that fact that he called his father. What I do have a problem with is that his father, didn't say something like, "Son, I'm on my way, we're going to take this to the top." Then followed through with it. They BOTH (at that point) had a responsiblity to take care of it.

There is absolutely no excuse for not reporting the rape of a child/children to the cops. Period. Screw winning football games. Raping a child is vile, disgusting, and should NEVER be covered up. Joe Pa had 3 options. He should have a) called the cops immediately, b) taken the guy out behind the building and disposed of him, or c) gelded him as soon as he heard about the incident. Mostly option a. I don't care how classy he seemed to be for so many years. The whole flipping athletic department needs to be fired. And smacked.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out Joe Pa.

The fact this happened almost a decade ago sickens me. A decade!!! I haven't paid attention to all of the allegations, but read enough to vomit. :ack2:

The assaulted young man is now nearing adulthood. Maybe in college. How is he ever to trust those in authority? How is he ever to trust that his voice matters? The good ol' boy club covered it up. for what? The glory of the team?

I hope they all go down.

I don't follow football, but I knew enough that the name Joe Paterno was held in high regard. How many of those parents trusted their young boys to the outreach program because of his reputation? He's just as culpable. He had an obligation to know what was going on, and make sure it was dealt with.

"read the news this morning. Riots on campus by students angry about Joe's firing. They don't want him FIRED"

Silly college children........probably haven't truly followed the facts....short-sighted, as most of us were at that age......not really looking at the BIG picture..the true victims. It's a sad state of our society today when this is their reaction......why did they not come out earlier in the week to riot about 8 or more young boys being molested? They'll be embarassed for themselves in about 10 years, looking back.

. How many of those parents trusted their young boys to the outreach program

My guess is there aren't parents. My guess (and please correct me if I'm wrong anyone) is that these boys were put in the program by Moms trying to find a place for their sons to be around men. Maybe because their own Dads aren't around. And abusers aren't stupid. Sandusky and his ilk count on being able to skate because there's no man from the kid's family to choke them to death.

We kinda all know this under the surface. And I think that's why most are so outraged at McQueary and Paterno. As a culture, we really need the non-sicko men to stand up and protect the kids. And they failed so miserably. :sad:

I just read an article that ended with a quote from Sue Paterno:

"You're all so sweet. And I guess we have to go beat Nebraska without being there," she said. "We love you all. Go Penn State."

No outrage. No shame. Her concern is for the game on Saturday. What is wrong with these people???

Edited by Swirl

I have no problem with that fact that he called his father. What I do have a problem with is that his father, didn't say something like, "Son, I'm on my way, we're going to take this to the top." Then followed through with it. They BOTH (at that point) had a responsiblity to take care of it.

I don't have a problem with him calling his father either -- it is that the FIRST thing he did was to call his father. If he walked by a trash can and there were flames coming out, would it make sense for him to call his father and then leave the building and go home; or pull the fire alarm and call 911? THAT is what I am talking about. As it turns out, he called his father and left the building. He and his father went and spoke to JP the next day. I just cannot imagine that a 28 year old wouldn't think of stopping the attack. If he walked by two of his friends in a fight, wouldn't he probably intervene to stop it? Just saying, I found his response odd.

"You're all so sweet. And I guess we have to go beat Nebraska without being there," she said. "We love you all. Go Penn State."

No outrage. No same. Her concern is for the game on Saturday. What is wrong with these people???[/QUOTE]

Response to what I have highlighted in red: These people have had their nests feathered by college football their entire lives. They have bought into the system. It has always taken care of them and they expect that it will now. It sickens me.

I don't have a problem with him calling his father either -- it is that the FIRST thing he did was to call his father. If he walked by a trash can and there were flames coming out, would it make sense for him to call his father and then leave the building and go home; or pull the fire alarm and call 911? THAT is what I am talking about. As it turns out, he called his father and left the building. He and his father went and spoke to JP the next day. I just cannot imagine that a 28 year old wouldn't think of stopping the attack. If he walked by two of his friends in a fight, wouldn't he probably intervene to stop it? Just saying, I found his response odd.

I find it down right bizarre. I do know EXACTLY how my dh would react. He'd be in jail too for assault. But I'd be proud of him.

No outrage. No same. Her concern is for the game on Saturday. What is wrong with these people???

Well, in her defense (and I feel no need to defend anyone involved in this), any public statement at this point is probably heavily doctored by lawyers.

Joe's response is really odd too given his age and ubringing. My Dad was only a year or two older than him. That kind of stuff just didn't fly to most of those men of that generation. It's a really unbelievable response.

I think the opposite could be said about that generation too. I kind of was not surprised, I have always thought that that generation swept stuff like this under the carpet.

My guess is there aren't parents. My guess (and please correct me if I'm wrong anyone) is that these boys were put in the program by Moms trying to find a place for their sons to be around men. Maybe because their own Dads aren't around. And abusers aren't stupid. Sandusky and his ilk count on being able to skate because there's no man from the kid's family to choke them to death.

We kinda all know this under the surface. And I think that's why most are so outraged at McQueary and Paterno. As a culture, we really need the non-sicko men to stand up and protect the kids. And they failed so miserably. :sad:

:svengo: I was not aware of that, which makes it even worse to me. My dad and dh both grew up with their dad's, I've seen the type of scars that alone leaves. And then to take advantage of an already vulnerable your spirit.

:cursing::cursing::cursing: HOW DARE THEY!!!!

In *2002*.

...and all these years since then, this evil man has still had access to kids through his "outreach program".

There were people who *witnessed* him *raping* a ten year old boy - one of whom went to the coach (rather than calling the police then and there), and the coach reported it up his chain of command... and then when *they* didn't report it to the police (who were the people he *should* have called in the first place, morally, if not legally), he let all these *years* go by.

It is horrific.

This wasn't a case of vague rumors or concerns, it was one of eyewitnesses, not to "inappropriate behavior" or "fondling" or any other, also *wrong* molestation, but to actual, unmistakable *rape*.

I try to assume the best of people, but I cannot begin to imagine the smallest shred of an excuse for any adult with any knowledge of this who did not take real, substantial action to protect vulnerable children.

I'm sorry. I sound angry, don't I?

Not at you, my dear, not at all.

I am sickened by this. Someone on the boards yesterday mentioned that their dh couldn't believe the grad student didn't rip that rapist off that child. Even *I* would have done that, as a medium size woman. What is wrong with people!

I find it down right bizarre. I do know EXACTLY how my dh would react. He'd be in jail too for assault. But I'd be proud of him.

I am sickened by this. Someone on the boards yesterday mentioned that their dh couldn't believe the grad student didn't rip that rapist off that child. Even *I* would have done that, as a medium size woman. What is wrong with people!

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! THIS is my point. Scroll up and find my post with the photo of McQ and take a look at the size of him. He certainly could have stopped the attack. I daresay that most of us would have done SOMETHING much less impotent that going to find a phone, tell our parent, and LEAVE THE BUILDING!

McQ had to have known there was a culture of fear and something was being hidden -- why else would he do what he did? Swept under the rug -- oh, yeah, and everyone who participated in that should be called to accountability.

And because a certain generation 'was uncomfortable' with something that was a criminal act, doesn't give any license to look the other way. THAT is stupidity.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7212054/key-dates-penn-state-nittany-lions-sex-abuse-case

He started the program in 1977. They have occurrences from 1994 on. What about before that? Will there be more victims?

They had his admission that he showered with a boy. Mom reported it. He admitted it. DA didn't press charges. Can't tell that the university did anything????

Edited by snickelfritz
Mixed up the dates

And that athletic director never did anything about it. And Paterno never followed up. HOW can you know that a boy just got r@ped in the shower by YOUR EMPLOYEE and NEVER wonder why nothing came of it?? He may have fulfilled his legal responsibility, but he massively failed his moral one.

EXACTLY!!!!!

So why didn't the GA do something?!

Aside from all the other comments, this is the one that gets me the most. This is only my opinion, but the guy didn't say or do anything because he already knew about it! When he walked into that room and saw what was going on, the first thing that entered his mind was probably along the lines of: I guess the rumors are true...and I need to get out of here!

I'm willing to bet that a there were lots of rumors floating around and probably some people that knew more than just rumors. People like the GA and the janitor didn't do anything more because they had already covered this ground somewhere in the dark recesses of their mind. They'd heard enough to know that this was going on, but until then, there was no evidence, just hearsay. But they knew. It wasn't a surprise. That's why they acted the way they did.

I don't see how anything this atrocious could be going on and only a handful of people know anything. Nope. Don't buy it. People knew or at least knew of it. They didn't do anything because it was only hearsay, at first. Then after a few years it became a locker room joke. And when it finally hit them in the face, they were desensitized enough to not act.

The depth of what is being revealed here chills me to my bones.

ETA: This is also why they (esp. the janitor) could discuss this with others--this topic had already been discussed before, just perhaps without the eyewitness.

Not to distract from the actual crime and disgust, but I've been horrified by most reporters' choice of words.

"Sex scandal" is reserved for politicians having affairs and celebrities living with porn stars. This is about child rape. How dare ANYONE diminish that reality?! People aren't comfortable with that? Good. It's supposed to offend our sensibilities. That's what separated us from the monsters.

If you (general you) can prettify the words to satisfy your own discomfort, how different are you inside from them?

While I agree that those who covered this up should be punished I'm not sure that this isn't a situation where public opinion and emotions might have taken over and caused a rush to judgement. If the articles online are correct the grad student who called Joe Pa said he thought he saw something inappropriate. That's a far cry from what that same student said to the grand jury about what he witnessed where he specified that he saw a crime. If all Joe Parerno was told was that there was potentially something inappropriate going on it seems notifying his supervisor was the proper response. In hindsight it is easy to seehe didn't do enough but should he be judged based on hindsight? Where's the outrage towards the grad assistant. If he really saw what he says he saw why didn't he call the police immediately? Why at the time would you reference possibly seeing something inappropriate but now provid specifics. Something just seems off about the whole thing to me.

It is the grad student that saw and didn't step in during the incident and then call police-immediately that should be penalized. Reports so far say Jo Pa wasn't told specifics at the time and he passed that info up the chain. I think people want to find someone big to hang and Jo Pa is it... We'll see what ends up shaking out of the case.

Not to distract from the actual crime and disgust, but I've been horrified by most reporters' choice of words.

"Sex scandal" is reserved for politicians having affairs and celebrities living with porn stars. This is about child rape. How dare ANYONE diminish that reality?! People aren't comfortable with that? Good. It's supposed to offend our sensibilities. That's what separated us from the monsters.

If you (general you) can prettify the words to satisfy your own discomfort, how different are you inside from them?

very well put. If we aren't appopriately horrifed, then we aren't paying attention.

Exactly. Exactly why I used the word RAPIST in my previous post. Ugh.

Aside from all the other comments, this is the one that gets me the most. This is only my opinion, but the guy didn't say or do anything because he already knew about it! When he walked into that room and saw what was going on, the first thing that entered his mind was probably along the lines of: I guess the rumors are true...and I need to get out of here!

I'm willing to bet that a there were lots of rumors floating around and probably some people that knew more than just rumors. People like the GA and the janitor didn't do anything more because they had already covered this ground somewhere in the dark recesses of their mind. They'd heard enough to know that this was going on, but until then, there was no evidence, just hearsay. But they knew. It wasn't a surprise. That's why they acted the way they did.

I don't see how anything this atrocious could be going on and only a handful of people know anything. Nope. Don't buy it. People knew or at least knew of it. They didn't do anything because it was only hearsay, at first. Then after a few years it became a locker room joke. And when it finally hit them in the face, they were desensitized enough to not act.

The depth of what is being revealed here chills me to my bones.

ETA: This is also why they (esp. the janitor) could discuss this with others--this topic had already been discussed before, just perhaps without the eyewitness.

ITA. It is the only thing that explains the GA's odd response. his father had filled him in prior.

Well, except we aren't explaining this to our kids and we watch a lot of ESPN and Fox Sports. I don't really want headline news to use "child r@pe". Once we know it's coming on, we change the channel.

It is the grad student that saw and didn't step in during the incident and then call police-immediately that should be penalized. Reports so far say Jo Pa wasn't told specifics at the time and he passed that info up the chain. I think people want to find someone big to hang and Jo Pa is it... We'll see what ends up shaking out of the case.

Well, sure, JP is saying he wasn't told specifics. However, just this morning I read that the GA is currently saying that he DID INDEED tell the specifics, that the child was being raped anally.

Not true at all - Joe knew plenty. Enough that any moral human being wouldn't have stopped until a police investigation took place. Oops, there was one in 1998 - right before Sandusky 'mysteriously' retired. There is no way I don't believe they didn't interview his boss at the time of the 1998 investigation - especially since the incident took place in the Penn State shower.

If Joe didn't know it's because he didn't want to know.