Menu

Why do people still wear perfume?

First off, I'm not starting this thread because I'm a little defensive about my fake/flameless candles on my mantle.:lol:

BUT, so many here are opposed to everything being "fake", I'm just wondering why people wear scents to make themselves smell like whatever....:confused:

It seems very 80's/90's IMO. I thought most people were trying to be more organic/natural and move away from toxic chemicals.:confused:

There is nothing worse than being at an activity or event, and being forced to smell whatever it is others seem to want to smell like. Some people just have no idea how offensive that is. My mom is EXTREMELY sensitive to perfumes and colognes, and even had to have them stop sending her bills/catalogs that contain sample scents. I've watched her REALLY become very ill from just being around someone wearing certain perfumes.

I know there has to be others that feel the same way, right?:001_huh:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A woman not much older than me (maybe early 50's) at my office believes that everyone in the vicinity should smell her...in fact, they should smell where she's been even after she's left.

She wears Youth Dew, and you can taste it.

Management won't say anything because they're afraid she'll claim sexual harassment. :001_huh:

Subtle scents I can see; people like to have a "fresh" aura. Same reason we use scented shampoo...

But please, we don't want to taste you for the rest of the day!

It's spray and walk through people, it's a simple rule.

You don't need to bathe in it and Axe in any form should be banned. :)

AGREE!!! I wear it only very rarely...I have the original Clinique Happy that I wear for dates/time out with the husband only. Honestly my deodorant (yes I have to wear clinical strength which seems to mean lets over scent it :glare: ) smells stronger than the perfume.

I am so allergic to perfume that I break out in hives just from smelling it on someone else. I have to use everything unscented. For some reason deodorant companies think that it's fine to put scent into an unscented product. :glare: People don't realize that the shampoo, deodorant, detergent, fabric softener, etc. all add up. Then they add perfume onto it.

I dab a tiny bit of essential oil on my neck and often have people chase me down in stores to tell me I smell wonderful. That's not a bad feeling and that's why I wear it. I enjoy walking by others that smell nice. It's usually a musky/spicy perfume or oil.

People who bathe in the stuff are offensive, but I love yummy smells.

First off, I'm not starting this thread because I'm a little defensive about my fake/flameless candles on my mantle.:lol:

BUT, so many here are opposed to everything being "fake", I'm just wondering why people wear scents to make themselves smell like whatever....:confused:

It seems very 80's/90's IMO. I thought most people were trying to be more organic/natural and move away from toxic chemicals.:confused:

There is nothing worse than being at an activity or event, and being forced to smell whatever it is others seem to want to smell like. Some people just have no idea how offensive that is. My mom is EXTREMELY sensitive to perfumes and colognes, and even had to have them stop sending her bills/catalogs that contain sample scents. I've watched her REALLY become very ill from just being around someone wearing certain perfumes.

Perfume has been around since the earliest of human civilizations. It is not something just from the 80s/90s.

Many scents come from plant and animal sources so it could be reasonable that some could be labeled organic. I would not be surprised if someone from this company (or another like it) came out with a truly organic fragrance.

Unfortunately there are some scents that are synthetic. These may be what some people are allergic to.

Edited by Parrothead

Ugh, I like an occasional, subtle perfume once in awhile, but I had a not too recent incident where I wanted to clobber a lady over the issue. This last pregnancy, I was dealing with pneumonia, my stomach was gaggy, and I was at the pharmacy counter waiting for my meds. This lady walks up to the pharmacy counter with two of those imitation perfume sprays. She then starts to spray each of them! Not just a little, but a lot right at the counter! Sniffing the air and everything. I about lost it then and there. I had to walk away and let DH get my meds.

Ooops....(about the candles!). :blush: I'm sure they are lovely and uplifting on your mantle. I'd never say someone shouldn't have them in their own home if that's what they like, but if you have a super-special occasion and a completely safe area, give the real thing a try, ok? :D

As for the perfume, I don't think it's that people wear scents to make themselves smell like another item. It's more about the enjoyment of experiencing a lovely smell--sort of like how walking through a garden or an orchard smells & feels great. It's carrying the smell with you throughout your day. Like constant aromatherapy, perhaps. With that said, I rarely wear perfume, and when I do, it's very *very* understated. And, um, they're not really all toxic chemicals. That might be a bit of an exaggeration...;)

My mom is very sensitive to scents and sitting near someone with perfume will give her a bad headache. As a matter of fact, I got a headache in church on Sunday from a man who was drenched in cologne. The sanctuary was full so I couldn't change seats. A friend of mine has had to change seats in church multiple times in one service due to perfume on others. I think people should be especially conscious of how much they put on when they are going to be in a crowded room.

I don't wear perfume but I make products with essential oils.

This morning, I'm making sandalwood, lime sandalwood and patchouli soap. Friends can smell me before I even enter the room.

I'm apologizing in advance.

Ohhhh. Come sit by me!

Do you sell this stuff?

When people wear certain scents for too long, their own nose become deadened to it so they put on more and more so that they can smell it. I don't think they are aware of how horrible it can be to other people.

Patchouli is one that gets me every time and makes me need to get away from people. However, pungent BO is pretty bad. ;)

I think that ANY smell that precedes or remains after an entrance (or exit) is just horrid. I don't care what it is.

I can get flash headaches for some things and not others, but BO makes me almost throw up.

I wear one perfume occasionally. It is subtle, I don't wear too much, and as no one else ever wears it but me (it is obscure). I found my perfect scent in the 90s. ;)

Sparrow, my oldest started this corporation to pay the feed bill for all of her animals. We are doing a big 8 week fair now.

Here is her website.

http://www.dancingdogdairy.com/apps/webstore/

I'm frustrated this morning because it is so cold that my coconut oil is solid in the 50lb barrel with the little tiny spout on the top.

Grrrrrrrr

I don't wear perfume but I make products with essential oils.

This morning, I'm making sandalwood, lime sandalwood and patchouli soap. Friends can smell me before I even enter the room.

I'm apologizing in advance.

I LOVE those combos! Do you sell the soaps? (Yes, I make my own, too, but that's just so I can keep my pretty smelling soap addiction under control)

ETA, thanks for the link!!

And I love patchouli, not crazy amounts, but when it warmly radiates off a person, yum.

Edited by justamouse

I rarely wear perfume but I do like scented body lotion. It's long lasting but extremely subtle.

I do understand what you are saying though: we use unscented washing powder, and it took husband a while to get used to it because things didn't smell 'clean' (ie scented) they just didn't have a smell. Now it seems strange if clothes are scented: if a piece of my children's clothing is washed by another family, the scent seems odd.

Laura

Perfume and cologne give me a massive headache if I am near them too long. My dh applies cologne after he leaves the house because of my sensitivity.

People want to smell nice so they wear a scent. Most of the time I am fine with it. I do not care for cloying floral scents. I think those make me react the worst.

However, someone walking by wearing some Drakkar Noir. That can still make me weak in the knees as I flashback to college.

I rarely wear perfume but I do like scented body lotion. It's long lasting but extremely subtle.

I do understand what you are saying though: we use unscented washing powder, and it took husband a while to get used to it because things didn't smell 'clean' (ie scented) they just didn't have a smell. Now it seems strange if clothes are scented: if a piece of my children's clothing is washed by another family, the scent seems odd.

Laura

I think that's because each family has their own smell. And there are certain families that I can't stand the smell of-it's not the perfume, it's the combo of their house, their animals, I'm betting their diet.

I hate the way my mother's clothes smell. They don't smell bad, she uses Gain, it's just this underlying person/house smell that makes me cringe.

We call the inability to smell certain scents "candle nose"

Ds is always telling me that the scent has faded in certain soaps, but it is just that he has smelled too much of it.

I don't mind patchouli in blends.

I make one with patchouli, tangerine, black pepper and clove, and one with patchouli and lemongrass, and another with patchouli ceadarwood and Rosemary.

People keep asking for straight patchouli. Yuck. Ill try a small batch and hope it doesn't make me too sick.

We call the inability to smell certain scents "candle nose"

Ds is always telling me that the scent has faded in certain soaps, but it is just that he has smelled too much of it.

I don't mind patchouli in blends.

I make one with patchouli, tangerine, black pepper and clove, and one with patchouli and lemongrass, and another with patchouli ceadarwood and Rosemary.

People keep asking for straight patchouli. Yuck. Ill try a small batch and hope it doesn't make me too sick.

that one would be a hands down favorite here.

For me, perfume wearers are as bad as cigarette smokers in terms of endangering my personal health. I really get frustrated when I can't breathe and have to grab my inhaler because somebody wants to emit personal clouds of noxious odors in public. No matter how nice it might smell (the perfume, not the cigarettes) it isn't pleasant for me when I'm gasping for air.

I grant that that issue is in fact my problem, not yours, though. But there are times when I grump that it's unfair that I cannot walk down a sidewalk, into an office, or into church without wondering whether someone's personal choice will put me in danger.

How much worse is it for people with peanut allergies? Some things you have to live with and pray for the common sense of others while taking care of yourself.

I have one elderly friend who all but bathes in perfume. I think she's trying to conceal the fact that she secretly smokes. My house reeks for days after she visits, and my eyes water the whole time she's in the house.

I don't know anyone else who overdoes perfume, but the smell of most detergents and fabric softeners makes me want to barf. Clothes washed with either (or worse, both) smell like cat pee to me.

I don't wear perfume out of respect for the many people with allergies. It's not like you can prevent it from spreading.

My husband used to work in an office with about 40 women. Every morning they'd walk in reeking of perfume and he'd spend the rest of the day with a migraine and sneezy nose.

I don't wear perfume out of respect for the many people with allergies. It's not like you can prevent it from spreading.

My husband used to work in an office with about 40 women. Every morning they'd walk in reeking of perfume and he'd spend the rest of the day with a migraine and sneezy nose.

Yep - I didn't wear any when I worked in an office. The closed circulation there - it's like an airplane. I remember getting eadaches from perfume in the building and I am not sensitive at all.

It's spray and walk through people, it's a simple rule.

You don't need to bathe in it and Axe in any form should be banned. :)

:lol::iagree: I have one type of perfume that I LOVE. It's too pricey for me to buy, though. I use a very tiny amount because I just love the smell of it. But I never wear too much because perfume can give me a headache. The kind I like does not, though.

I disagree with your first statment. Maybe most people you know are going toward organic/natural. And it seems like there are a lot of peolpe on this board that are more crunchy than most. But most people I know IRL are not because it requires a lot of effort and sometimes cost. Or they might not think of perfume as toxic (at least I don't).

I do and I don't feel the same way about perfume. I feel bad for people with allergies but I'm not sure what to do about that. I mean the smell of my hair spray could set some people off, I suppose. I find over perfuming, smelling strongly of the food you cook, and BO equally offensive. But a light perfumed scent of choice that comes off with movement or a hug is usually not offensive to me. I don't understand the movement where people are offended by something that is supposed to smell good. It might not be your preference for scent but we all vary on that one. Again, I'm not talking about someone who has overdone it.

I used to wear perfume because it elevates my mood. However' date=' I've heard of so many people with sensitivities to it, that I rarely wear it when going out anymore. It saves me money too,because I liked the expensive stuff.[/quote']

:iagree: I actually thought the idea was frowned on and I was surprised to see the other thread about scents, I didn't realize so many people still wore perfume. That's a good sign, most are not wearing to much!(because I don't usually notice) :)

I love subtle scent and fragrances. The ones I prefer smell clean and natural...almost soapy. I don't wear fragrance everyday, but when I do, it makes me happy.

My MIL on the other hand, marinates in Georgio...that gosh-awful scent from the 80s...topped off with a heavy dose of AquaNet. :glare: And she will. not. stop. Even though we've asked her to tone it down repeatedly. We have to open windows in the dead middle of winter when she does her morning "hosing herself down" routine. It seriously makes my lungs burn. Or as my youngest says, "All the hair in my nose just melted."

My MIL on the other hand, marinates in Georgio...that gosh-awful scent from the 80s...topped off with a heavy dose of AquaNet. :glare: And she will. not. stop. Even though we've asked her to tone it down repeatedly.
I was thinking about that perfume after I wrote my post. The only perfume that was possibly more obnoxious was Poison, IMO.

I love fragrance for a number of reasons including I live in a dark, wet or snowy climate (especially winter but this year all year). Fragrance seems to help lift my spirits.

also I work in a musty older building. I smell better than the building :).

I am very conscientious about other people so limit the fragrance to minute amounts.

I don't agree that fragrance is a thing from the 80's.

I am a tom-boy mom. I was in the military for a lot of years. I live in Life is Good t-shirts, Mountain Hardware pants, sweatshirts, and sneakers.

But, I love perfume. LOVE it. I don't wear it often but I love it. Most scents give my DH a headache, so I wear them when he's not around. I also love all things shower gel and stinky. I like fruity scents and some flowery (gardenia). I love Happy and DKNY Pure right now. I hate the musky, heavy scents (think 80s, LOL).

I guess it's like auditory versus visual learners - some of us are scent people.

I enjoy walking by others that smell nice. It's usually a musky/spicy perfume or oil.

People who bathe in the stuff are offensive, but I love yummy smells.

Perfume has been around since the earliest of human civilizations. It is not something just from the 80s/90s.

I think perfume is an outward, personal expression of your emotional state.

People wear certain scents when they feel happy, or sexy. People who wear it tend to think of it as an expression of themselves. It's not just about being fake and covering up stench. :001_smile:

I find over perfuming, smelling strongly of the food you cook, and BO equally offensive. But a light perfumed scent of choice that comes off with movement or a hug is usually not offensive to me. I don't understand the movement where people are offended by something that is supposed to smell good. It might not be your preference for scent but we all vary on that one. Again, I'm not talking about someone who has overdone it.

:iagree:with all of the above. It seems 2 things happened in recent years. One is that people started wearing too much scent. Maybe when spray bottles became so common it was easier for people to wear too much. Spray bottles used to be the exception. The norm was a bottle of perfume or cologne that you had to dab on. I think most people would say they don't like overpowering perfume scents, even if the stuff smells wonderful in the right amount.

The second thing is that somewhere along the line, any attempt to smell nice suddenly became "unnatural". The fact is, as Chucki already pointed out, we humans have used scents since our earliest days.

I love subtle scent and fragrances. The ones I prefer smell clean and natural...almost soapy. I don't wear fragrance everyday, but when I do, it makes me happy.

My MIL on the other hand, marinates in Georgio...that gosh-awful scent from the 80s...topped off with a heavy dose of AquaNet. :glare: And she will. not. stop. Even though we've asked her to tone it down repeatedly. We have to open windows in the dead middle of winter when she does her morning "hosing herself down" routine. It seriously makes my lungs burn. Or as my youngest says, "All the hair in my nose just melted."

This is my mother, except that she is still rocking Jean Nate. Gag.

I don't wear perfume just yet, but I wear deoderant which is very nice smelling and works better than any perfume I know of, I wear a very nice body mist spray when I go out, I use nice smelling all natural soap, and I have very nice smelling shampoo. So I guess that amounts for a perfume? I don't know, but I am allergic to a lot of perfumes because I have sensitive skin and nose, so strong perfume will give me skin irritation and a major headache.

What is it with people wearing loads of perfume, it smells nasty!:tongue_smilie:

I wear perfume every day. I wear Amazing Grace by Philosophy and it is a very soft, subtle scent. I like to smell nice. It's not strong at all. I layer it as I use the body wash, lotion and then a small spritz of the perfume. I've had several people make comments as I walked by about how nice I smell. I was worried that maybe it was too much, so I asked a lady who told me I smelled good if it was too strong and she said she didn't notice the smell until I walked past her and even then it was very light. Whew!

My mom wears the most obnoxious perfume and has for years. She wears Imari from Avon and it is just awful. She does bathe herself in it. Ick. I can smell her before she enters a room.

I hate patchouli and anything with vanilla in it. I've never understood wearing vanilla. Why would anyone want to smell like a cookie with too much vanilla in it?

Has anyone seen the bacon perfume? Gag.

I like perfume occasionally - like for church or special occasions. Sometimes I use some just to make me feel a little better.

I have to be careful with scents, though. I can only wear a few perfumes. I will get congested or a headache.

I love candles, but I have to be careful with their scents, too. I don't burn/use scents every day, so I don't think I am polluting my environment too much. Everything in moderation!

But... nothing beats good, clean, fresh air!