Menu

Have you heard about this Federal Emergency Alert Test on Wednesday?

I read about this last week, after my mother became upset when she saw a very brief TV announcement about it. Today my dh got this email that was being circulated through his company (cellular telephone). Just an FYI so you can be expecting it.

<<

Please make others aware that on November 9th at 2pm EST . There will be a test of the Federal Emergency Alerting System . This is a test of national preparedness . There has been little media coverage of this and there is a possibility of great confusion and panic . All radio and TV stations will be taken over by the government for a 3 minute test . Then they should return to normal programming . The total exercise will run for 30 minutes across the country .

Most people are not aware of this event and we can expect the possibility that our systems may overloaded with calls ...

I wanted to let everyone to be aware of the possibility .

http://www.fema.gov/ >>

My cable company sent out an email- they said to expect to have to unplug/replug in our cable box, modem, etc. in order to reset it after the test. I think they're hoping people will remember to do this instead of everyone calling them to report their cable and internet are out.

I've heard about it and even saw a tv commercial a few days ago. The commercial was kind of weird. Just a slightly older guy saying this will happen. I know stations have done "tests" for years, but don't know about all the hype for this one. Don't watch tv at 2 pm anyway, so I don't mind!

I've seen the commercials on Ion for at least the past week. Interestingly, it is the station (we get OTA from MD, DC, and NoVA) that routinely uses the alert for weather emergencies. I don't think I have ever (in my lifetime) seen the alert system activated otherwise. The first few times it completely freaked me out. Now, I pay attention, but it's usually flash flood warning in Loudoun County or something else I don't need to act on.

Why? Doesn't your PBS station ever do this? I'd say once every few months, we get a test of the emergency broadcast system on PBS; I'm assuming this is similar, just on a larger scale.

Yeah, I was under the impression all broadcast stations were required to conduct a test on a regular basis ("this is a test... Beeeeeeeeeeeeeee... This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system. In the event of an actual emergency..." I may have heard it once or twice. ;) ) the same way radio stations are required to give their call sign hourly or something.

I would assume cable stations aren't required to test because it's normally used for local emergencies? So they're leveraging an alert system already in place for federal emergencies and extending it to national (i.e. cable) stations?

The only odd thing is that they're all doing it at once.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I've heard about it and even saw a tv commercial a few days ago. The commercial was kind of weird. Just a slightly older guy saying this will happen. I know stations have done "tests" for years, but don't know about all the hype for this one. Don't watch tv at 2 pm anyway, so I don't mind!

:iagree: I probably would not think much of it even if our tv was on during that time.

So long as the voice of Orson Wells does not come across the airwaves, then I think that we will be OK.

:D Or if I hear the deep booming sound from the modern version, or if I see Tom Cruise running down the street...

I don't know what's creepy about it.

But,....I am picturing a War of the Worlds type situation in which a bunch of pundits decide that it is some sort of government conspiracy. :glare:

Yes, I should alert certain members of my family. :lol:

They test our sirens here (small town) on a regular basis. The TV on a weekly basis, we usually don't have it on anyway.

As long as they don't mess with my internet. Although I can see them trying, as many people are not using TV/radio during the day. It's for your own protection. :tongue_smilie:;)

Is it creepy when the normal emergency alert system is tested? The only difference is that this one will happen nationwide all at the same time, right?

YES, YES IT IS!!! :D

Ft. Belvoir broadcasts over the loudspeakers for tornado warnings--wonder if they will for this test.

I think it's creepy, but not in some "The Government is taking over!" kinda way--it's just the low male voice and serious tone that make me a little creeped out.

YES, YES IT IS!!! :D

Ft. Belvoir broadcasts over the loudspeakers for tornado warnings--wonder if they will for this test.

I think it's creepy, but not in some "The Government is taking over!" kinda way--it's just the low male voice and serious tone that make me a little creeped out.

I do agree with that. I always feel a little unsettled when they test the EBS.

Since it doesn't effect the Internet, I wonder how many people will actually notice the test. I haven't listened to the radio or had cable TV for years. I certainly didn't hear about the test from those sources.

We have a weather radio, and we hear the test every week, without having the tv or a regular radio turned on.

All radio and TV stations will be taken over by the government for a 3 minute test .

My cable company sent out an email- they said to expect to have to unplug/replug in our cable box, modem, etc. in order to reset it after the test. I think they're hoping people will remember to do this instead of everyone calling them to report their cable and internet are out.

I was under the impression all broadcast stations were required to conduct a test on a regular basis ("this is a test... Beeeeeeeeeeeeeee... This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system. In the event of an actual emergency..." I may have heard it once or twice. ;) ) the same way radio stations are required to give their call sign hourly or something.

?????

If it requires resetting the modem, cable box, etc, it is more than a required announcement, and therefore different from the Emergency Broadcast System we have had for the last 50 years. Requiring an announcement and "taking over" the stations are very different.

The FEMA blurb didn't really give enough details.

I normally have my tv on at 2pm. I have one of the music channels on. Of course, this Thursday at that time, we will be at the orthopedist office anyway, so who cares?

I think November 9th is this Wednesday, though. :D

We rarely watch (regular) TV - Netflix streaming, yes, and some cable channels (like dh's SciFi channel, or ds's History Channel), but that's it. I haven't listened to the radio, except Pandora, in years.

The way to reach so many folks now would be to interrupt the internet, but that sounds like a scary proposition to me.

hmm isn't this the same day the asteroid is going to be coming close to us.

:confused:

;)

What!!??? What asteroid? I dont' have cable or the paper. Now I'm a little freaked out...and my husband is on the other side of the state hunting, out of cell coverage. I need to go pray now.:001_unsure:

What!!??? What asteroid? I dont' have cable or the paper. Now I'm a little freaked out...and my husband is on the other side of the state hunting, out of cell coverage. I need to go pray now.:001_unsure:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203733504577024023220331032.html

Oh sorry it is coming by on Tues, looks like by wed it wll be too late

okay I'm kidding

;)

It is totally going to miss us. It is supposed to be just a little closer than moon. :grouphug:

It is totally going to miss us. It is supposed to be just a little closer than moon. :grouphug:

yes yes, I didn't mean to freak,

But I did hear some one musing about the 2 events happening so close together. I thought it was a bit funny.

any way I's just being a bit silly.

:001_smile: