Menu

I became intimidated in the department store, so I need your help

I was planning on picking out a new perfume that I could wear more for "every day" events. Not everyday, but if I had a meeting or was going out to lunch, that I could wear. I have a perfume I like for "date nights" that is more 'sexy'. So I was just planning on going to the mall and try a few and pick something out. So I froze when i saw all the counters with all the ladies in white coats pushing their products.

So my plan is to narrow it down before I even get into the department store, so I won't freak out and leave again.

I've made a list off of the department store's website. If you tell me your opinions of these scents. Do any of them fit the description - clean, fresh, not too heavy, feminine, not too churchy (you know how one always seem to smell the same perfume in church). If you know a perfume that fits the idea is not on the list below, please suggest it too.

I like to make Christmas shopping easier on my family and thought this would be a great idea. I want something that comes in a eau de perfume (usually less expensive).

Ack. I can't believe I reaction. I think part of it is that I don't even recognize most of these scents. Its like I have to start from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

Dior J’adore

Dior Dune

Pure DNKY Verbena

Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea

Dolce & Gabana Light Blue

Vera Wang Lovestruck

Mark Jacobs Daisy

Mark Jacobs Oh Lola

Burberry London Classic for Women

Clinque’s Perfectly Happy

I vote for being more organic and going without! (Just the view of someone who deals daily with family members who react very badly to people wearing perfumes.) Honest, you do not stink without perfume. Your natural body odor during a meeting is not a bad thing. I can guarantee that at least one person in any event that you are attending would thank you for not wearing a chemical scent if they knew you had passed on the option! My dd would probably kiss your feet for not making her leave the room or pass out.

I wear a Clinique Happy but I don't know which one it is. I don't think it's Perfectly Happy. I only started using it because they sent out a free trial tube for Valentines Day a few years ago, and I liked it. I'm not brave enough to go to the mall and pick one out either.

Do you have a Sephora? They carry many different lines, and the perfumes are all out on the shelf for you to smell. They also tend to have a lot of samples. The website has great product descriptions and reviews. They also carry sets of their best-selling fragrances, which might be a good option until you figure out what you like and what smells good on you (fragrances do not smell the same on everyone).

I wear Lemon Sugar by Fresh.

I vote for being more organic and going without! (Just the view of someone who deals daily with family members who react very badly to people wearing perfumes.) Honest, you do not stink without perfume. Your natural body odor during a meeting is not a bad thing. I can guarantee that at least one person in any event that you are attending would thank you for not wearing a chemical scent if they knew you had passed on the option! My dd would probably kiss your feet for not making her leave the room or pass out.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Guest submarines

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Do you have a Sephora? They carry many different lines, and the perfumes are all out on the shelf for you to smell. They also tend to have a lot of samples. The website has great product descriptions and reviews. They also carry sets of their best-selling fragrances, which might be a good option until you figure out what you like and what smells good on you (fragrances do not smell the same on everyone).

I wear Lemon Sugar by Fresh.

I second Sephora. I love going to Sephora. They are very helpful and let you try everything. If you know what scents you like, you can break it down that way. For a while, I couldn't find my favorite drug store fragrance (Sand and Sable). I smell good in perfumes that contain sandlewood. So, I went and told the Sephora people that and they pulled all the perfumes with that ingredient and I narrowed it down to Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist. Smells so good. Light and clean.

I LOVE D&G Light Blue. It's been my "signature scent" for years now. Very light, very wearable, not over powering. I got tons of compliments when I wear it and I barely wear any at all.

Mar Jacobs Daisy is what my 15 year old DD wears. Also a nice choice.

For the ultimate in daily wear, take a look at the Philosophy 'Grace' line. I prefer Pure Grace....very clean and light, almost like soap and water only more scented. I also have recently found Eternal Grace which I LOVE. Many love Amazing Grace but it's a bit too sweet for my taste.

I am very sensitive to perfumes but one of my dds wears Happy and another wears Pink and I am ok with both of those. They are very light, fresh, clean smells that I can handle. I have another dd who wears something similar but I don't know the name of it. I would suggest that you take someone sensitive to smells with you when you shop. They will let you know if something is too heavy of strong.

I agree - I know too many folks who suffer greatly when exposed to perfumes and scents.

I love perfume. I have about 5 scents that I rotate. It makes me so happy when I'm wearing a fresh, pretty scent. :001_smile:

A couple that might fit your criteria:

Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau de Fresh

Burberry Sheer

Clinique Happy

Coach Poppy

Hope you find one that you love!

Our family agrees! 3 of us seem to have instant reactions to scents. :(

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to make a short list and head to the mall. Or maybe wait till next weekend.

I am very sensitive to those who have perfume/scent sensitivity. My mom is especially sensitive and can't stand scented candles, etc. I usually am very careful and do not use too much or too often - so it usually lasts me a long time.

So, I went and told the Sephora people that and they pulled all the perfumes with that ingredient and I narrowed it down to Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist. Smells so good. Light and clean.

I think this is the one my dh likes and keeps trying to get me to try. But I've been wearing Romance by Ralph Lauren for years now, ever since my hubby first bought it for me. If they ever discontinue it, I won't smell like me! :D

I can guarantee that at least one person in any event that you are attending would thank you for not wearing a chemical scent if they knew you had passed on the option! My dd would probably kiss your feet for not making her leave the room or pass out.

As one who reacts to perfumes and has left more than one venue because of it, I'm in this camp.

I am very sensitive to perfumes but one of my dds wears Happy and another wears Pink and I am ok with both of those. They are very light, fresh, clean smells that I can handle. I have another dd who wears something similar but I don't know the name of it. I would suggest that you take someone sensitive to smells with you when you shop. They will let you know if something is too heavy of strong.

KidsHappen,

I am also very sensitive to perfumes and DD would love to have one I can tolerate LOL You mentioned Happy by Clinique I'm guessing and who makes Pink? Thank you.

I'll second the Marc Jacobs fragrances. Daisy is probably more what you're looking for, but I like Oh Lola, too.

Disclaimer: I have a deep obsession with all things Marc Jacobs. When I win the lottery, I'm going to indulge every bit of it, too.

I LOVE D&G Light Blue. It's been my "signature scent" for years now. Very light, very wearable, not over powering. I got tons of compliments when I wear it and I barely wear any at all.

Hey, D&G Light Blue is MY signature scent. :D And like you, I get compliments on it all the time. I love the way it smells. But more importantly, some perfumes react with my body chemistry poorly, and I wake up in the middle of the night smelling something a bit rank. Not so with D&G!

No perfume/cologne here. I am very sensitive to the stuff. I had to leave church AGAIN this morning because of a lady that had stuff on and I immediately got a migraine. Still have it at 5:40 over 7 1/2 hrs later. My advice is smell clean. You may not only spare someone else but eventually your own health. I would be so thankful if the general public could realize what this stuff is made out of and how toxic it really is.

By the way I used to wear the stuff.

"Happy" is my signature everyday scent so I'd have a hard time steering you from it. I wonder how it's different from "Perfectly Happy." I'm just a little Happy apparently.

DH wear the Happy for men scent and he smells incredible.

I have a couple of other scents. I love Bobbi Brown's "Beach" for the summer and then I have a couple of date perfumes too.

I wear Happy (not Perfectly Happy) every day, whether I'm going out or not. I just LOVE it!

Other than that, the only one on the list I'd recommend is D&G Light Blue because it's TO DIE FOR! LOL Love that one too :)

Ok, you are not the first person to say this so I'm going to check this perfume out ASAP!!!

Many perfumes give me a headache. But, I do love lighter or more natural smells, as well as less traditional ones. Rather than wear a perfume, I tend to use fairly natural shower gels or soaps that I love the smell of. The lingering scent is very light. My favourites are from Lush, like Karma soap or Snow Fairy shower gel. I also like Giovanni shower gels or lotions, which I have in raspberry and vanilla. In the summer, I often like to choose a minty soap or gel--fresh and yummy, but not overpowering at all. I get a lot of compliments when I've showered with my Lush products.

They also carry sets of their best-selling fragrances, which might be a good option until you figure out what you like and what smells good on you (fragrances do not smell the same on everyone).

Thank you for this. I used to be fully on top of it when it came to perfume. I knew each and every one. Then once I stopped buying magazines that carry samples and so on, I really am out of touch with the new stuff. This is a great idea. :)

You might want to try one of these places that sells samples for 5 for $1 with free shipping. I find that there are just too many smells at the perfume counter!

Wow :D. You are gold. Thank you. :grouphug:

I loathe Chanel. Anything by Chanel.

Some of my favorites:

Crabtree and Evelyn Rose

Pleasures by Estee Lauder

Eternity by Calvin Klein

Michael by Michael Kors

Marc Jacobs (not sure which one, maybe it's just the one called Marc Jacobs - had it a few years ago)

Beauty by Kate Spade - sadly, I don't think they make this anymore

J’Adore by Christian Dior

Hot Couture

DKNY Be Delicious

Some more to try:

Lancome Hypnose

Chanel Cristal

Versace Bright Crystal

Davidoff Cool Water for women

Nautica My Voyage

Pucci Acqua 330

Pucci Vivara Variazioni Verde 072

and the brands "Clean" and "Bliss" both carry a lot of clean scents

My personal fave is Prada Infusion d'Iris... but I can only use a tiny bit at a time. I used to love Lancome Tresor, for years, but then it gave me my first ever perfume headache. :'(

L'Occitane de Provence is 100% organic and I love their cherry blossom and verbena scents. Their formulation principles and sustainability links are here: http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Content/About/Formulation.aspx.

I used to love perfume, but now it seems they all give me a headache. The only thing I've been able to wear that doesn't bother me is Amazing Grace by Philosophy. I haven't tried any of the other Grace scents, but they may be as light. Sometimes I wear the lotion instead of the perfume. Love!