Menu

YOUR favorite book from your childhood

KristenR

So what books left such a lasting impression on you that you can't wait to share them with your kids. Any kind of book - it can be a living book or textbook or comic book- whatever.

For me I remember being totally immersed in True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi.

Please add your memorable must haves for me to add to my x-mas wishlist!!

The first book that popped into my head was Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink. Also loved and well read would be Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, and all the Chronicles of Narnia.

Dd11 read Baby Island last year and thought it was just ok :glare: She just began The Secret Garden last week, so we'll see. We are reading through the Chronicles of Narnia out loud.

I'll have to give this thought and see if there are others.

ETA: I thought of another one...The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Edited by Angel

No question about it, hands down favorite: "The Diamond in the Window". It is set in Concord, Massachusetts, and it refers to all of the most famous Concord residents of the 1800's, so it has great tie ins with history and other literature. It's also a great standalone book.

I started telling my DD stories from that book (which has fairly discreet chapters) before she could even read. Then when she was old enough, I read the book to her. Then when she was older and we had read all the referenced books, she read it again. Then I designed a monthly homeschooling literature group around it and the referenced literature.

And I still love to read it.

It was my favorite until I read LOTR in 7th grade. I've been hooked on LOTR ever since.

Another obscure fave is "In Place of Katya". And a close third that I only ran across as an adult is "Number the Stars".

Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself, although I intend to wait until Ariel is about 10 before sharing it, as it would just be confusing to her if she read it now.

Ballet Shoes

Anne of Green Gables

The Secret Garden although she's very familiar with the radio theater recording and has seen the movie, so I'm not sure she'll be super-thrilled to read the book.

What age?

Picture Book-

The Big Tidy Up

Raggedy Ann and Andy books by Johnny Gruelle

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace

The Shoe books by Noel Streatfeild

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

A Wrinkle in Tme by Madeleine L'Engle

Gone With the Wind

Emma

Sense and Sensibility

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony

Dune by Frank Herbert

tons by Robert Heinlein

and even, dare I say, trashy though it is...

the vampire books by Anne Rice!

And a ton more. I remember the books I read growing up better than I remember my actually childhood. Of course, that may be because I had the opportunity to read the books again and again.:)

My poor sons! Actually, my oldest loved many of these books. Emma was his favorite for a long time and he says that should he have a daughter he wants to name her Alice.

Mandy

So what books left such a lasting impression on you that you can't wait to share them with your kids. Any kind of book - it can be a living book or textbook or comic book- whatever.

For me I remember being totally immersed in True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi.

Please add your memorable must haves for me to add to my x-mas wishlist!!

The first books I remember reading where the babysitter's club books. They were my gateway to other books.

The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye.

:001_smile: I loved this one too.

And...

Cheaper by the Dozen

The Hobbit

The Borrowers series

anything by E. B. White

Little House series

A Little Princess, The Secret Garden

and Little Women, because my mom read it out loud to me at night...good memories.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

The first book that popped into my head was Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink.

I loved Baby Island! I also loved the Shoes series, Wrinkle in Time, and Narnia series. I remember throwing A Little Princess across the bus and crying when I found out her father died so I must have been really into it. I also remember throwing Jane Eyre across a room in high school when I found out about Mr Rochester's wife.

My all time favorite book as a kid was From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweller, but I also loved The Wolves of Willoughby Chase. Along the same vein is The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

For picture books, I really enjoyed Mousekin's Golden House and Miss Twiggley's Tree.

Edited by FairProspects

The Just So Stories

The Jungle Books

the Black Stallion series

Around the World in 80 Days

I Robot

a collection of H.G. Wells' novels

Born Free books

James Harriot

Crime and Punishment

Though we have a while before they're ready for that. :lol:

I honestly can't recall the before-high-school books as much. I liked Clifford as a young child, and the Pokey Little Puppy (my kids love it too), then later on I was into the Black Stallion series, Babysitter's Club, and Saddle Club. I don't see my boys doing the latter two, but they might read the Black Stallion series, since we have a horse.

For their earlier years, I was excited to share Barbara Cooney's Miss Rumphius. I remember My Father's Dragon from my elementary school years. I also had my old book of nursery rhymes and some picture books.

But a lot of books that I am enjoying with the kids are ones that I had never read as a child. And a lot of ones I hope they will read when they are older are ones I didn't get around to until the past few years.

I could list lots of books already mentioned here, but I'm only going to mention two that haven't been mentioned at all.

The original Oz books by L. Frank Baum, all 14 of them (Didn't anyone else love these??)

Under Plum Lake, by Lionel Davidson -This book is so incredibly imaginative, it wowed me when I first read it over 20 years ago. I obtained a used copy from the library later, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Last time I looked, it was out of print, but it looks like it's back in print, as of March. I'm looking forward to reading it again.

I could list lots of books already mentioned here, but I'm only going to mention two that haven't been mentioned at all.

The original Oz books by L. Frank Baum, all 14 of them (Didn't anyone else love these??)

Oh, I forgot about those! I particularly loved Ozma of Oz! I need to find a really wonderful copy of that book. My copy was read so much the cover came off. Actually, I did the same with Ballet Shoes. I couldn't do that with Sally because it was a library book. :lol: I did check it out so many times the librarian dedicated it as a "birthday book" for me when I was in 5th grade, though. The Secret Garden fell in a creek, and I still kept it and read it with the wavy, puffed out pages and all.

Here are 10 off the top of my head, beloved in childhood...

- Dr. Seuss books, especially The Grinch, and "On Beyond Zebra" (the magic of an entire *alphabet* AFTER our alphabet -- it was as good as a "secret passage"! ;))

- Richard Scarry's "A Story a Day: 365 Stories and Rhymes"

- The Tall Book of Christmas (Smith) -- I remember this book was only allowed to us during December, and we LOVED reading and re-reading the story of "Giant Grummer"

- Margery Sharp's Miss Bianca series: The Rescuers; Miss Bianca; The Turret; Miss Bianca in the Orient; Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines -- these are SO well written and amusing!

- Land of Oz; Ozma of Oz (Baum)

- the magic books by Edward Eager: Half Magic, Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle, Time Garden, Seven Day Magic

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll)

- short story "The First Letter" from Kipling's Just So Stories

- The Hobbit (and then, of course, The Lord of the Rings) (Tolkien)

- Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- the ones with the yellow cover

PS - ETA

Another Nancy Drew fan here, along with my dear sister -- we yearned for mysteries and secret passages! We also read some of the Happy Hollisters and Bobbsey Twins, but Nancy was always our favorite!

And how could I forget! I was (still am!) a fantasy and fairytale nut, and LOVED the "Book of ..." series by Ruth Mannning Sanders, illustrated by Robin Jacques -- Trolls, Dragons, Wizards, Mermaids, Giants, Princes & Princesses... ah... that was heaven! :)

Edited by Lori D.

Mine was a book called Andrew Henry's Meadow by Doris Burn. I loved this story about a boy who was always annoying his family with what he invented and built inside the house until finally he ran away and built himself a house in a meadow. Every other misunderstood kid in the neighborhood eventually relocated out there and he built each of them houses especially suited for his or her particular oddity. Finally the parents all tromped out and found them in the meadow and realized how wrong they had been...

I was a misunderstood kid who wanted badly to run away and have a meadow like that. I bought that book as an adult and read it to my kids. I will never get rid of it.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles (AKA the Black Cauldron series) are at the top of my list. I read all 5 of them twice while in elementary school, read them all again in grade 12, and then once during undergrad. Then I finally bought (and read) the whole set while I was in grad school. We have them in the house now, so my daughter won't have to borrow from the library like I did so many times!

I also loved all the books by LM Montgomery, but the Anne books especially. I had been given all of Montgomery's novels as birthday and Christmas presents by the time I was 12, and I have read them all many times since.

Shasta of the Wolves by Olaf Baker is probably the stand-alone book I loved best. I got it as a discard from the elementary school library when I was in grade 4 or 5.

A Dragon for Danny Dennis was probably the book I most loved having read to me as a small child. It was the only book I had with any "extra" features: the dragon images were fuzzy!

The Stephen Cosgrove Serendipity series were also read many times when I was little. Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now? by Dr. Seuss was another favourite.

Little Golden Books - The Poky Little Puppy and The Gingerbread Man

Stories and poems by A. A. Milne

Nancy Drew

Little House Series

Anne of Green Gables Series

Little Women

In His Steps

Jane Eyre - all time fav in high school lit.

This is fun to think about and remember. I LOVE books!

RuthAnn

Picture book - Animalia by Graeme Base

For the first time in possibly a couple of decades, a memory of this book came to me in the past week and I had no idea how in the world I would locate it when I could recall nothing but those detailed pictures. The possibility of asking the hive occurred to me but the odds seemed pretty slim considering how little I remembered. Then I read this and would you believe it was some ghost memory of the author's name that made me pause and look again. Totally crazy.

My all time faves that have been read many, many times:

Picture Books:

Classic Golden Books - Pokey Little Puppy, Saggy Baggy Elephant, Yellow Taxi, Scrawny Tawny Lion

Richard Scary Books

Frances Books

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Nancy Drew Series - I don't know what happened to these, most that I read were my mother's and aunt's (60's) and we added new ones (80's).

Wizard of Oz Series

The Borrowers Series

The Black Stallion Series - my mom sent these to me a couple of years ago and I read them all again. I really wanted that horse.

Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates

Swiss Family Robinson - I also read this fairly often (still)

A Wrinkle in Time

All the Frances Hodgson Burnett Books

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - I started the series in 5th grade...it took me a couple of years but I finished it. Since then I read them every year (I'm 38).

I saw someone else list the Ballet Shoes (forgotten about that but loved it as well) I also had Dancing Shoes, I think there was also a third book in that series. But I probably won't be sharing those with my boys.

High School Books:

All time fave: A Separate Peace by John Knowles, no girls, no adventure, it just speaks to my heart. I've read it every year since the 10th grade and cry every time.

Wuthering Heights

Watership Down

Jane Austen Books

Robinson Crusoe

Phantom of the Opera

I loved Whistle for Willie- b/c (i think) my grandmother had a dog just like Willie.

And I loved How Fletcher was Hatched. Not seen that mentioned.

We also had the little Beatrix Potter books that were a favorite though I can't remember if it was more to play with them or read them :lol: I know I loved Where the Wild Things Are too. I had these great records that played stories/songs too; it was like an entire series.

I loved Ramona books, Sheila the Great, Nobody's Girl, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Anastasia, ...so many to list!

Fun thread!

I have so many that I loved, they are like old friends now. The one that stands out to me is:

The Bridges at Toko-Ri. I was in 4th grade and we were instructed to pick out a book for a report from the book shelf. At the time, I had not really enjoyed reading. I picked this book solely on the basis of thickness, or lack thereof in comparison to the others. I read it three times and wrote a huge report, for a 4th grader, mostly about my feelings, not about the book. It sparked something inside me that I will never forget..... I think I need to put that old friend out again. :)

The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye (The princess looks like me.)

The Sword of Shannara Series by Terry Brooks

Bread and Jam for Francis and all the other Francis books

Lyle, the Crocodile books

Madeline series

Mary Poppins (I remember my Mom reading this to us one summer and telling us if it was ever made into a movie, she would take us to see it the same night. Wouldn't you know it, that same afternoon there was a commercial for the Disney version. I still can see her calling my dad to come home early to take all 6 of us kids that night.)

Most of mine have been mentioned but two of my FAVORITES that haven't been (I didn't see them anyway) are:

Among the Dolls by William Sleator (although I just re-read this and think it might freak my kids out. They don't like anything slightly creepy. But I probably read this 50 times as a kid.)

The Dark is Rising (series) by Susan Cooper for when they are a little older.

I'm just so glad they liked the Little House books as much as I did! :D

The first book that really hit me in a deeply emotional way was Tornado Jones by Trella Lamson Dick.

At the time I read this I was a big reader, but it was most happy books in the Henry Huggins and Encyclopedia Brown vein. But this novel, about a family that was going to lose their farm to a dam/electrification project was the first time I was really touched reading a story on my own. It sort of changed my ideas about literature when I was a little boy.

Bill