1. 1. Where do you/your family vomit?

• toilet
    • bowel
    • bucket
    • bin
    • on the floor
    • wherever, I don't really care where
    • other

I have never done a pole before so hoping it works.

spin off from the dog bowl in the dishwasher thread.

where do you , and your family vomit?

Every single person I know gets their family to vomit in the toilet, children learn from a very young age to run to the toilet to vomit. I have even carried small children ( age 2) through the house at top speed telling them to hold on , to the toilet.

Toilet, but we do have a small trash can w/ a trash bag and a few paper towels in the bottom, that people can take to bed w/ them in case they can't make it to the bathroom.

Yes. This. The trash can (small plastic bathroom trashcan that can be washed out) by the bed. It isn't ideal, but MUCH better than cleaning up vomit all down the hallway.

The goal is the toilet. But we go to bed with a plastic bowl just in case. DD has a weak stomach and for several years it was just everywhere. These days she still hasn't figured out that she needs to be close to the toilet, just standing over it. But at least the mess is contained to the bathroom. Illnesses in the past were very exhausting for mom.

I voted "bucket".

My kids don't have enough warning to get them to the toilet. I would rather rinse the bucket than clean vomit from the carpets and bathroom floor.

I also think they get a lot more rest when they can stay in bed, throw up in the bucket, I wipe off their face, and they can go back to sleep. Sitting by the toilet is *cold* and when you're sick it can take a long time to get warm again.

Growing up, we had a vomit bowl that was placed by our beds in case we couldn't make it to the bathroom. To this day, that color of yellow makes me want to throw up!!! (but, I have to say, I was a little proud the day my then 7 yo threw up and FILLED the yellow vomit bowl at grandma's house!!!!)

:iagree: This is what we do. Toilet is preferred, but they get a bowl in bed with them if necessary. My personal preference is anywhere that can be easily cleaned. If that means a bowl, the toilet, the sink, the tile floor, go for it. Just please don't puke in your bed, on the couch, the carpet, anywhere that isn't easily washable. My DD4 is my favorite child--she almost always makes it to the toilet. The older 2 are more sketchy.

Yep, I canNOT put my face where people's butts have been. No way. No how. No can do. :confused:

:lol::lol::lol: I had hyperemesis with all 3 pregnancies, and I admit that it is just icky being sick in the toilet because it is dirty. I often cleaned it before being sick if I had time. But in those days I couldn't be too picky--the toilet, the sink, the grass, the shoulder of the road...

We have a dedicated recycled plastic ice cream tub, with "SICK BUCKET" in red permanent marker written on the side. And a little red sad face. :(

This is for my daughter. I just dump in the toilet and rinse it out. The ONLY time I've ever had to clean up puke during her childhood is when I accidentally sloshed some over the edge in a hurry to move it back to her (more was coming). I absolutely despise the smell and have dreaded it getting anywhere I can't clean as well as I'd like, such as carpets or mattresses.

She'll transition to toilet within the next couple of years (she's 9). For me, toilet for sure.

Other places I've thrown up, in random order:

hanging out of a moving car (sadly, this was just three years ago)

that is a bad move. I remember when I was a child, we were traveling on a particularly bad road, very windy and no where to pull over, my sister was very sick, Dad told her to stick her head out the window and do it there, We had a van, she was up front, it went all along every single window. We had an hour drive before we got anywhere with 8 children all with their eyes closed so they wouldn't get sick from looking at the window.

toilet and bowl, although I find the bowel misspelling appropriate. :lol:

We had the sick bowl as a kid, I utilize one now.

I also have severe motion sickness, I have learned to vomit wherever necessary. You know those little motion sickness bags on the airplanes? I will never forget the look on the attendants face as I had to hand her a full one. I did seal it first. :ack2:

Toilet is my first preference but we've got trashcans in every room that can be used in case of emergency. My toilet is pretty darn clean because I'm kind of an obsessive person about clean bathrooms so the face/butt thing doesn't bother me.

Edited by aggieamy

I voted other because this is the grossest poll ever! But toilet or bucket.

:iagree:. I totally agree. It's basically an unnecessary TMI poll but I had to vote because I didn't want to be left out.

Is always aim for the bathroom sink. The thought of using the toilet makes me want to puke. :D

Not sure about my kids, as it has been 5 years since we've had those sickies in our house. Yup, if you look at my signature you will see that my oldest was 2 the last time he got the stomach bug. My 4 yo dd has never gotten it. (I am sure I just jinxed my entire family by announcing this on the Internet).

Yep, I canNOT put my face where people's butts have been. No way. No how. No can do. :confused:

You know this thought has occured to me several times in the last few years. If you weren't already needing to throw up, sticking your face in the toilet would make you need to! I guess it is just better than cleaning up vomit from anywhere else. Gag. What a topic we are on tonight!

You know this thought has occured to me several times in the last few years. If you weren't already needing to throw up, sticking your face in the toilet would make you need to! I guess it is just better than cleaning up vomit from anywhere else. Gag. What a topic we are on tonight!

And, btw, I agree that this is a gross disgusting poll and I am TRULY grateful to the OP for starting it. I almost started a thread like this two weeks ago because, as I stood up from my sink-barfing episode I pondered, "I wonder where the Hive pukes, anyway?", but thought I'd be run outta' town on the next horse. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, OP! :lol:

ETA: My oldest dd and I are LITERALLY L'ing OL at the related threads at the bottom of this page. :lol:

And, btw, I agree that this is a gross disgusting poll and I am TRULY grateful to the OP for starting it. I almost started a thread like this two weeks ago because, as I stood up from my sink-barfing episode I pondered, "I wonder where the Hive pukes, anyway?", but thought I'd be run outta' town on the next horse. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, OP! :lol:

:lol:

I am actually meant to be writing up my Uni assignment but it is incredibly boring. Much more interesting reading this thread. I have had quite a laugh.

some things I have learned.

1. check spelling before posting a poll

2. Americans call a bin a trash can

I voted "bucket".

My kids don't have enough warning to get them to the toilet. I would rather rinse the bucket than clean vomit from the carpets and bathroom floor.

I also think they get a lot more rest when they can stay in bed, throw up in the bucket, I wipe off their face, and they can go back to sleep. Sitting by the toilet is *cold* and when you're sick it can take a long time to get warm again.

:iagree: with this completely. We also have dedicated buckets. They are thoroughly cleaned and at the ready whenever needed.

This poll reminds me of the last time DS5 was sick. He came to me in the middle of the night and I put him in bed with me. I rinsed out one bucket and gave him another. He didn't get sick for the remainder of the night, which was incredibly fortunate because in my exhausted state, I had actually handed him the base of our beverage dispenser instead of a new bucket. It had no bottom. The kids got a big laugh over that the next morning. :lol:

It also reminds me of a time when DD was three and I had all three kids with me at the grocery store. I was almost finished shopping when DD told me she felt sick. I thought no, but looked at her and there was no doubt. Fortunately, I happened to be in the aisle with the Rubbermaid containers and grabbed the first one handy to give to her. She promptly filled it and I stood there a little dumbfounded. Then I grabbed another identical one and immediately went to check out. I handed the clerk the clean container and told him to ring up two. He looked at me funny and all I could say was, "Trust me. You do NOT want to see the other one." :lol: Those are both dedicated bins now. I did feel bad continuing with check-out but I had a full cart, a deployed husband, an Old Mother Hubbard situation at home, and a 4 yo, 3 yo and 1 yo who could have been down for a week for all I knew at that point.

No joke, the kids' ability to vomit into a container was a happier milestone for me than potty training, by quite a margin!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I am actually meant to be writing up my Uni assignment but it is incredibly boring. Much more interesting reading this thread. I have had quite a laugh.

some things I have learned.

1. check spelling before posting a poll

2. Americans call a bin a trash can

yep,

here we call a bin something to keep CLEAN stuff in-We have a shoe bin (we put shoes in there!), a book bin (you'll never guess what we put into that one!~), etc. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: with this completely. We also have dedicated buckets. They are thoroughly cleaned and at the ready whenever needed.

This poll reminds me of the last time DS5 was sick. He came to me in the middle of the night and I put him in bed with me. I rinsed out one bucket and gave him another. He didn't get sick for the remainder of the night, which was incredibly fortunate because in my exhausted state, I had actually handed him the base of our beverage dispenser instead of a new bucket. It had no bottom. The kids got a big laugh over that the next morning. :lol:

It also reminds me of a time when DD was three and I had all three kids with me at the grocery store. I was almost finished shopping when DD told me she felt sick. I thought no, but looked at her and there was no doubt. Fortunately, I happened to be in the aisle with the Rubbermaid containers and grabbed the first one handy to give to her. She promptly filled it and I stood there a little dumbfounded. Then I grabbed another identical one and immediately went to check out. I handed the clerk the clean container and told him to ring up two. He looked at me funny and all I could say was, "Trust me. You do NOT want to see the other one." :lol: Those are both dedicated bins now. I did feel bad continuing with check-out but I had a full cart, a deployed husband, an Old Mother Hubbard situation at home, and a 4 yo, 3 yo and 1 yo who could have been down for a week for all I knew at that point.

No joke, the kids ability to vomit into a container was a happier milestone for me than potty training, by quite a margin!

Oh my word! That is hilarious!

When ds and his friend were about 6 we were traveling down a windy road. I heard a moan and looked in the back seat to see her clearly about to lose it. I grabbed a Wal-Mart bag and twisted my body around, putting it under her mouth just in time. She filled it up! I was so grossed out I was screaming! My husband pulled over and I got out with the bag full of vomit, on the side of the road in the middle of a very wooded area. I was all, 'what shall we do with this plasic? I can't litter!' Husband says, 'Give me that!' And he hurls it into the woods. :001_huh:

I will admit I did not go retrieve it and properly dispose of said plastic bag.

Oh, sure, judge me!

When ds and his friend were about 6 we were traveling down a windy road. I heard a moan and looked in the back seat to see her clearly about to lose it. I grabbed a Wal-Mart bag and twisted my body around, putting it under her mouth just in time. She filled it up! I was so grossed out I was screaming! My husband pulled over and I got out with the bag full of vomit, on the side of the road in the middle of a very wooded area. I was all, 'what shall we do with this plasic? I can't litter!' Husband says, 'Give me that!' And he hurls it into the woods. :001_huh:

Oh, sure, judge me!

:lol: If it makes you feel better, I won't even let DH discard an apple core or a banana peel on the side of the highway and I still don't judge your story! I can picture the look on my own DH's face in a similar circumstance. He would have chucked it too and I admit I wouldn't have complained. :lol:

Obligatory other here. The kids aim for the toilet and sometimes make it and sometimes not.

However, I don't quite know what to put for myself. The last time I threw up was in the kitchen sink on May 9,

And I was 11 then. It was so disgusting (the taste and all that) that I said, "I am NEVER going to do that again." Of course, at 11, I had no idea that people just don't say, "I'm not going to barf again" and simply don't. But that was my plan. And so far, despite some rough roads, a few rounds of general anesthetic, other people being ill in the house, and four pregnancies (not to mention an afternoon of high school drinking that just about did me in -- yes, I learned my lesson), I have kept to my word to myself.

I'm 46 and figure I've not done it in 35 years. Another 35 years and I might just be done with this world -- wonder if I'll make it that long...

Obligatory other here. The kids aim for the toilet and sometimes make it and sometimes not.

However, I don't quite know what to put for myself. The last time I threw up was in the kitchen sink on May 9,

And I was 11 then. It was so disgusting (the taste and all that) that I said, "I am NEVER going to do that again." Of course, at 11, I had no idea that people just don't say, "I'm not going to barf again" and simply don't. But that was my plan. And so far, despite some rough roads, a few rounds of general anesthetic, other people being ill in the house, and four pregnancies (not to mention an afternoon of high school drinking that just about did me in -- yes, I learned my lesson), I have kept to my word to myself.

I'm 46 and figure I've not done it in 35 years. Another 35 years and I might just be done with this world -- wonder if I'll make it that long...

You sound like my mom. She would stay still for 3 days before she would vomit. She went through chemo for breast cancer and only vomited ONE TIME.

Me? Eh. I'd just as soon get it all out and over with.

Oh, sure, judge me!

good catch!

reminds me of some friends, they were way out in the woods and their baby had the most disgusting nappie ever (DIPER) It was a cloth one.

they hung it in a bag on a fence with full intentions of picking it up on their way home. But, they went home another way. I have always wondered what the framer thought when he found the bag hanging on his fence.

Toilet, but at night if the kids are sick, I line a waste basket with multiple plastic shopping bags so you can just lift one out, chuck it in the garbage, and another liner is there.

This is brilliant!

This is Hilarious! You and I are the SAME. I've got a pact going with God for mine though. ;)

You sound like my mom. She would stay still for 3 days before she would vomit. She went through chemo for breast cancer and only vomited ONE TIME.

Me? Eh. I'd just as soon get it all out and over with.

I'm like your mom,and you're like my DH. He says the same thing. I'd rather be amputated then be throw up.:tongue_smilie:

Generally, I'd think the bathroom is preferable. Then trash can, then sink.

Then there is my 19yo and my 3yo. My 19yo will NOT make it to the bathroom at night. Never has. I'm assuming never will. But she's able during the day. My 3yr old is a behavioral vomit-er. In the six months he's been here, I don't think he's ever vomited out of necessity so I don't know what he'd do in that case. And of course, behavioral vomiting is done on the spot, so far, usually at the table <sigh>.

The toilet is the designated area but we do have problems with it. The only bathroom is upstairs. Trying to climb a flight of stairs when one is about to be sick is difficult.

Bedtime generally gets one a trash can beside the bed. I like trashcans because they are tall. One can aim better if one can feel the rim of one's receptacle.

I've cast up my accounts in the sink, on the floor and outside before. Sometimes one just has to do what one has to do.