Menu

I'm 'due' today...40 week appt less than encouraging...think through this with me.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it when you can't trust or be comfortable around a dr.

I'm just hoping you go into labor and won't need pitocin. I've never had pitocin after a delivery, but my last delivery was nearly 12 years ago. I was induced with my last two pregnancies because my babies are so big.

I'm hoping you go into labor on your own before the induction happens!!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:She'll be here soon! We can't wait to "see" her!!!:001_smile:

When I was GBS positive and was only having small contractions and was dilated to 5cm, my midwife first gave me antibiotics and then broke my water about two hours later. This was done at home. My labour lasted long enough for me to have the second dose just before my little one was born.

I don't know how to refuse the pitocin after birth if they really insist. When I got the hospital records for dd1's birth it said that I was given pit in the iv after the birth. I didn't even notice.

You CAN insist, you CAN refuse any treatment. They don't have any legal right to force any kind of treatment on you. You simply (and I know it doesn't feel simple!) say, "I am refusing this treatment. I will sign a release if need be. Do not administer it to me."

The thing is, of course, that you'll be distracted and weak and in no condition to insist. So, bringing a doula with you to insist for you is probably your best option. Or prepare your partner to do that job, prep him, have him practice against your best insistent-snot-doctor impression.

You can also let every person you see, from the intake nurse to the housemaids, know that you are refusing pitocin and any doctor who administers it is doing it without your consent. That way, by the time it would be automatically administered, every party in the hospital is talking about your refusal so they really know what you'll say if you were to be asked and they might be afraid you'll exercise your legal right to sue their pants off for administering something without your consent.

I did both of those things in order to get what I wanted at my hospital birth. It worked! What we asked was that our newborn not be physically out of touch with us, not lacking the sensation of parental skin on him, at any moment during the first twenty-four hours of his life. No one tried to bring him to the nursery. We were the adamant crazy people and they did what we said.

My guess is that the CNM does not have the AUTHORITY to agree to those options. My guess is that they have strict protocols with their supervising MD. I ran into that during my first pregnancy (in GA).

If I were you, and I could get an appt, I'd switch to the OB if possible. Hopefully they will at least have the authority and confidence to allow for some flexibility.

FWIW, I agree with your instincts. I think you're getting a bad deal.

I am sorry you're struggling with this! So stressful! ((hugs))

Oh, also, maybe this has also been said already, but have you considered a home-made induction? Castor oil? Accupressure? Etc?

I've tried everything under the sun with my 3 late babies, but none of it worked. The only thing that worked was to threaten #1 with Castor Oil. I was 11 days late and going to have to have a hospital induction if I hit 14 days. . . So, dh got the recipe from the homebirth midwife, and bought the castor oil & OJ on his way home from work/school. I went into labor while he was at the store. LOL, I think we frightened her out!

Get some Evening Primrose Oil caplets and apply to your cervix.

I wouldn't go the castor oil route, b/c of the increased chance of baby having a bm, but EPO basically won't do anything unless you're ready.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

My last baby came within 24 hours this way...

You CAN insist, you CAN refuse any treatment. They don't have any legal right to force any kind of treatment on you. You simply (and I know it doesn't feel simple!) say, "I am refusing this treatment. I will sign a release if need be. Do not administer it to me."

The thing is, of course, that you'll be distracted and weak and in no condition to insist. So, bringing a doula with you to insist for you is probably your best option. Or prepare your partner to do that job, prep him, have him practice against your best insistent-snot-doctor impression.

You can also let every person you see, from the intake nurse to the housemaids, know that you are refusing pitocin and any doctor who administers it is doing it without your consent. That way, by the time it would be automatically administered, every party in the hospital is talking about your refusal so they really know what you'll say if you were to be asked and they might be afraid you'll exercise your legal right to sue their pants off for administering something without your consent.

I did both of those things in order to get what I wanted at my hospital birth. It worked! What we asked was that our newborn not be physically out of touch with us, not lacking the sensation of parental skin on him, at any moment during the first twenty-four hours of his life. No one tried to bring him to the nursery. We were the adamant crazy people and they did what we said.

The difficulty is that the doula has no legal standing. And if she is a professional, it can be bad for her to totally alienate the hospital staff. Usually they have to encourage the mom to advocate for herself.

I had worse luck than you advocating for myself - I was clear up until I got to the hospital and signed a waiver. But the OB overseeing me (I had a GP for my doctor) was going home and there was another OB. He wouldn't go along with my plan and said he would send me in an ambulance to the big hospital an hour away if I didn't agree to his requirements (a hep-lock and internal monitoring.)

Then she just asked me why I didn't want pitocin and when I said, "Well, because it hurts!" she shook her head no and insisted that the contractions would feel the same as natural ones because the dosage would start off very low (yeah, untl I don't progress as quickly as the on-call OB would like...:glare:). She insisted that wouldn't happen.

Ummmm, yeah. There is no way I could take anything she said seriously after that.

:grouphug:

That is a distressing conversation to have so close to birthing time! :grouphug:

Don't read a word about what I am going to type next. I think you're going to go into labor within 24 hours (4th baby in just a few years and stripped membranes? If everything is fine with this baby, it's not rocket scence! hee hee) Perhaps you will stay home as long as possible and perhaps get in a little too late for them to get the drip set.

After the babe is born, you can very gently palpitate your own uterus/tummy with one hand as you nurse the baby. I've done that and it was amazing-- contracting is painful yes, but not as painful as somone pressing on me. I could feel it shrink right under my palm. It was very cool.

Wishing you all the best, and hoping it won't be long until you are holding your new babe in your arms and trying to get the sibs to stop kissing it already!

Edited by LibraryLover

I have had 4 babies with a midwife in the hospital. The last 3 were all late and I was GBS+ with the last two. With my last baby, I went into the hospital at 13 days "overdue." I had my 2 rounds of antibiotics for the GBS+ and then my midwife popped my water and I went into labor immediately. I was also effaced and dialated like you mentioned. Personally, I would push back. I don't see why you need pitocin unless your water is popped and you are not progressing. If you are very uncomfortable with her, maybe you could ask to speak to one of the doctors? The need to medically control everything is one of the reasons why I decided to use a midwife for my pregnancies and deliveries.

Best of luck to you!

The later the ultrasound the less accurate it is. An early, 6-9 week ultrasound is fairly good at predicting EDD. An 18 week ultrasound is not. Go with the original due date. Then figure that you have up to two weeks after that. Decline any inductions before you are ACTUALLY past dates....and I mean past 2 weeks over your REAL EDD.

Yes, you can decline. You have the right to decline any and all procedures. And they can't kick you out of the practice if you are within 30 days of your due date without transfering your care to another practice.

ick is right!

I would just flat out refuse, honestly. I'll show up when I'm in labor, thanks. It's your body and your baby and there is zero medical reason to induce you on X day, esp with the dates. Ultrasounds are not the way to date a baby after the first trimester!!! :banghead:

:iagree: Just say no.

Oh, and I wouldn't try to induce at home either. The whole point is that if baby isn't ready to come out you shouldn't force it. You aren't even due yet for heaven's sake!!! Refuse to acknowledge the new due date. Period.

Oh, and read up on how a Biophysical profile is scored so you know if they are giving you a load of crap. Perfect doesn't mean perfect. There is leeway on how they score it. And if the only problem is "low fluid" insist on checking it again in 24 hours.

:( You are a person with rights. You can, at any time, deny things like pitocin, internal checks, or induction. They can not tell you otherwise. This is one of the reasons I had my last two at home. I hate it when they pull this. Is there any way to switch providers? Are there more midwives or OBs in the practice that you can ask for instead? Could you "accidently" go to another better hospital if you go into labor if they look like they will make things difficult for you?

1. I think it's good that you're meeting with a different provider. You may find him/her to be more reasonable and have more power to give you leeway with hospital or practice policies.

2. I would avoid a BPP until after your original due date. BPP is used as a way of strong-arming an induction. They will find a reason to induce, even if the baby is in no danger.

3. It's total BS to say pitocin contractions feel the same as natural. I've had both. Night and day.

4. Stay calm and say, "I understand your concern/policy/preference, but I am not comfortable with that. Thank you for respecting my decision." Repeat as needed.

5. Have a list of things to request at your next appointment: restore original due date, no induction unless there is a clear reason or you feel comfortable agreeing to one at 1-2 weeks after your original due date, etc. Bring your dh with you for moral support and so that he can also affirm that he does not want you or the baby to have unnecessary procedures.

I think that if I were in your shoes, I'd try to get some inside info about your practice -- call and find out who is more open to a mother calling the shots and letting things happen naturally. Maybe a nurse who works there would help you figure out which doctor would be a better fit for you. Then I'd try to see HIM/HER and switch to being under their care. You wouldn't be switching practices, just doctors.

This midwife doesn't sound like the midwives I have birthed with. Midwives should respect a woman's preferences and the natural process of birth. Your body will birth this baby when it's ready (and I agree that moving up your due date based on baby size was silly). It is unnecessary to start induction with pitocin. I was induced (bag of waters leaking for over 24 hrs, GBS+) by being hooked up to a breast pump. N*pple stimulation alone sent me into labor, no drugs necessary. My midwife started my abx before the breast pump, then got in another dose before I delivered. It sounds like your midwife is locked into one "play book" and is not listening to your or thinking creatively about how to make this work.

I had pitocin once due to heavy bleeding post-delivery and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I hate that they are being cavalier about your desire to avoid pitocin. Stick to your guns. It's YOUR body and it's YOUR baby. I'm praying you go into labor naturally tonight and can avoid all of this! :grouphug:

I want to encourage you to listen to your body and your instincts. I am sorry that I let them induce me.

That is all I really should say. I want to keep it positive. If you feel you should and can wait, then go with your gut on that.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this! :(

Let me first say, that YES you can deny ANY procedure. You could, technically, deny an emergency C-section, walk out, and go home. You always have the power and the right during your birth..keep that in mind. :) I tell this to every client, at every meeting. :)

Like another poster said, I would just flat out refuse anything you do not want. If you have the Non Stress Test and the baby is fine, and she insists on doing an induction...tell her no, you will be waiting until X date. When that date comes around and you and the baby are still healthy, tell her no again. Go into the hospital when you are in labor or when you feel comfortable. Legally, she cannot force you into any procedure, and that includes an induction.

Positive thoughts your way!!

:iagree:

I'm totally in the minority here, but I would vote for taking into account the midwife's recommendations. You've liked her until now, and to my mind what she is recommending is not beyond the pale. You can always discuss or refuse anything, but I would take seriously and consider what she says, because she knows you and your situation better than we can on this board.

That said, I hope you go into labor very soon, naturally! :grouphug:

How are you doing?

Don't forget that your medical professional is not your mother / your boss / God! They can advise you, but it's your right and your responsibility to take that advice (and any other information you want to consider) and make an informed decision about what treatment you will consent to. That's great that your husband is ready to support you in getting your wishes heard.

Hopefully you might go into labor before the induction...

I'm totally in the minority here, but I would vote for taking into account the midwife's recommendations. You've liked her until now, and to my mind what she is recommending is not beyond the pale. You can always discuss or refuse anything, but I would take seriously and consider what she says, because she knows you and your situation better than we can on this board.

That said, I hope you go into labor very soon, naturally! :grouphug:

To me it sounds like instead of a midwife she is acting like a doctor. I think that is why everybody is fussing. Midwives outside of a hospital are more likely to listen to a woman and respect her wishes concerning birth and her body. My midwife was beginning to worry with my last birth not because of me or my baby but because of legislative red tape. If I had gone past 42 weeks she would have had more paperwork.

Have you seen the Business of Being Born? It is very enlightening about birth in America. I don't know the op's history but with my history there is no way I would allow an induction before 42 weeks, my boys are all 41 weeks and some days. 41 wks 1 day, 41 wks 5 days (with prodomal labor for 4 days...), 41 weeks 1 day for the last.

I had a doctor I liked once too. Then he wanted to hosptialize me because my 3 hour glucose test was 1 point outside of normal. I respected his opinion but felt he was over reacting as my numbers weren't that high and it was something that needed to be handled outpatient if at all. I got a second opinion and felt much better with my care giver. Had I stayed I would have had a c-section as the hopsital called to set up my pre-op. I used another hospital to avoid the Dr #1. I later found out he has a very high section rate.

I allowed her to strip my membranes today. I felt like it was a small concession to make even though I didn't really want to have it done. She wasn't pushing it but I knew it would appease her. So far nothing, but maybe it will work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

She is saying that I cannot have my water broken first because I am Group B Strep+. If I am induced I have to start with pitocin, according to her.

If she dropped me from the practice I'd still be in the same boat I'm now when delivery rolls around. They are the only practice in town -- all 9 OBs and she work at the same practice. I'll get whomever is on call anyway.

So...I will have the BPP next Friday. If it is reassuring then I'll refuse the induction and tell the provider that I am willing to come back on Monday or Tuesday for another BPP if they want me to. Those are performed in their office. And I had already written it into my birth plan about not receiving routine pitocin following delivery, but maybe I'll go ahead and bold that portion for good measure.

My husband is promising to be my guard dog and question every person who walks within 5 feet of my hep lock. :tongue_smilie:

I hate to say it. But, I think that the problem is they are the only OB practice in town. That means no competition and they capitalize on the feeling that they have women "over the barrel". Like that old saying goes, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely!"

I would be tempted to NOT go to any more appointments.

Stand your ground. I once had an OB try to WILDLY adjust my due date. He was just ridiculous and I finally asked him if he'd been in my bedroom filming our teA because otherwise dh and I were the only ones that knew for sure. He was furious when I accused him of that, but I think I made my point. He was one of 7 OB's in a practice with 4 midwives. I insisted on seeing a midwife from there on out and had it put in the scheduler that a. I was never to be scheduled with him again and b. that if for some unforeseen reason one of the four midwives was not on duty when I went into labor and he was on call, that I preferred the attending physician from another practice. I never had him for a visit again, but I did see him in the hallway a couple of times and he was VERY nice to me. My complaint was long and in letter form and addressed to the entire practice so I think his fellow OB's got wind of it and told him to adjust his bedside manner a bit!

At any rate, the risk of c-section for a pitocin induced labor is much higher than for natural labor, so if this were my call, I'd refuse the procedure. But, I'm a stubborn person. I refused I'V's with my labors so that medical professionals couldn't sneak any drugs into me without my permission. If a nurse entered the room with a shot, dh made her present it to me first and let me read the label. I refused the pitocin after dd because I really wasn't bleeding badly at all (according to both the doctor and the labor nurse but it was "routine" and so they felt I should have it anyway :001_huh:). They didn't like my questioning of their authority, but I really didn't give a rat's rear about their own insecurities.

You might try not only lots of teA, but also walking. I did a lot of walking to jump-start labor and it worked for me. Everytime it got close to my due-date, I began a major waddling plan. Gravity helps!

Faith

I'd tell her to kiss my arse! My body, my pregnancy, my baby, my birth.

They cannot "make" you induce. They cannot "make" you take their drugs.

Refuse it all. Tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Trust YOUR gut on this. :)

:iagree::iagree:

To me it sounds like instead of a midwife she is acting like a doctor. I think that is why everybody is fussing. Midwives outside of a hospital are more likely to listen to a woman and respect her wishes concerning birth and her body. My midwife was beginning to worry with my last birth not because of me or my baby but because of legislative red tape. If I had gone past 42 weeks she would have had more paperwork.

Have you seen the Business of Being Born? It is very enlightening about birth in America. I don't know the op's history but with my history there is no way I would allow an induction before 42 weeks, my boys are all 41 weeks and some days. 41 wks 1 day, 41 wks 5 days (with prodomal labor for 4 days...), 41 weeks 1 day for the last.

I had a doctor I liked once too. Then he wanted to hosptialize me because my 3 hour glucose test was 1 point outside of normal. I respected his opinion but felt he was over reacting as my numbers weren't that high and it was something that needed to be handled outpatient if at all. I got a second opinion and felt much better with my care giver. Had I stayed I would have had a c-section as the hopsital called to set up my pre-op. I used another hospital to avoid the Dr #1. I later found out he has a very high section rate.

:iagree::iagree:

And this is coming from someone who has had 3 c/s!! :lol: I am anti-inducing and c/s for anything but valid medical reasons. I mean VALID. (Not 'we think the baby is too big' - how the heck can they tell that anyway? Every person who I've heard say that and then give a c/s for that reason, the baby has been like 8 lbs. Yeah. Huge. :glare: Meanwhile people give birth naturally to 10 lb babies with no problems. I know it depends on the person, but you don't know unless you try!) It drives me nuts when drs (sometimes on the patients request, I know) schedule inductions 2 weeks before the EDD. Absolutely drives me insane. I think its irresponsible and stupid...of course, that's a whole other topic. :) For that same reason I hate all the moving around of EDD. Just because a baby measured a little big they want to change the due date? Not likely.

I think it's all such silliness. Don't get me wrong, I've had serious medical interventions with my kids, but I don't like this whole idea of pushing things on people. Especially inductions and c sections.

I think the midwife was very wrong to move up your EDD like that. I would refuse the induction/not go in for the induction, refuse any biophysical profiles until after the original EDD, and get myself a labor advocate - either a doula, or make my wishes extremely clear to my husband and make sure that he was prepared to be in that role. That way, when I was incoherent because I was in labor, someone else would be fully alert and able to keep doctors from doing unauthorized procedures.

I would also make it extremely clear on any and and all consent forms, birth plans, etc. that I did NOT consent to anything I did not want.

I hope this all ends up being a non-issue and that you have a wonderful, uninduced, labor and birth. :grouphug:

She can't force you into an induction ( well she can try). It's your baby. Just be polite and firm or "forget" to show up on the 17th. I highly suggest writing up a birth plan now stating that you dont want to be induced, don't want pictocin etc. Bring copies with you to your doctor visits and to the hospital.

Edited by Quiver0f10

I can so relate to your post. With my third, I told them before hand that I did not want pitocin after delivery. I was told that if I didn't accept the pitocin that they would rub my fundus so hard that I would regret not cooperating. :glare: Seriously? They actually threatened me with physical harm if I did not cooperate. How people get away with stuff like this, I have no idea.

I would quit arguing in advance. You aren't going to change anyone's mind. And, even if you do, chances are you will wind up with a different doc at delivery. I would just say "okay, okay". And then do whatever you want. Don't show up for the induction. Forget. Say you had a bad cold and didn't feel up to it. Oversleep. Or, just tell them sorry. You said you weren't being induced for no reason.

It concerns me that they do the BPP in the office. If they want you to go ahead and be induced, you aren't going to score 8/8.

This sort of thing infuriates me. The way they treat pregnant women as if you get no say and no choice as to what happens. It's terrible. Keep us posted. Maybe you'll go into labor and it will be a moot point.

Were your last babies early/late/on time??

Just throwing this out there..... dd, almost 18, was born one day early. I was dilated 5 one month before due date, and had very strong BH contractions regularly. I tested positive to Strep B. I had very strong contractions a week before I had her, but they stopped. But when I had her, she was very "overdone." Lots of meconium in the water, very shriveled cord, and she was almost 9 lbs. and broke my tailbone. She was also in distress during labor, and came out blue. Then at six days had to be hospitalized because her breathing rate was twice as fast as it should be. Luckily that came out fine. But my back won't ever be right again. I am a small person and had no business delivering an almost 9 lb. baby with an almost 14" head! I don't think they had as accurate ways of measuring back then, the week I had her the doctor said she was 7 or 7 1/2 pounds. After I had her I screamed to the doctor "you lied!!!" I delivered quickly with no help with the pain. And they never got the IV antibiotic in for the strep B.

I remember being very adamant that my labor be natural, but in hindsight (which I know is always 20/20) it would have been better to have her a week earlier. I didn't do any of the tests you are mentioning, maybe they didn't exist, or maybe I didn't get them because I had her before my due date.

I would ask the midwife if there are specific reasons why she feels you need to deliver. I do remember that movement of my baby had slowed a lot, much more than my previous pregnancy.

I would ask the midwife if there are specific reasons why she feels you need to deliver. I do remember that movement of my baby had slowed a lot, much more than my previous pregnancy.

Thanks for sharing your story, Susan.

The only reason she has given me for pushing the induction is that I have passed her revised EDD. Baby's heart rate is good, she is active, BH contractions are still coming regularly, and I progressed 2 cm within the last week.

I'm not sure that letting her strip my membranes did any good -- I was very crampy and spotted a lot last night but it's tapered off today. Still, I figured it was done and I might as well give this my all, so we took the kids downtown for a fall festival today and walked several miles. Maybe that will get things moving.

I'm feeling like this is the week, so maybe she'll do her thing before Friday rolls around. If not I a may just call and reschedule Friday's appt. for early next week...that would buy me a few more days, anyway.

DS#1 was induced 3 weeks early because the OB insisted that he was 9+ lbs...he was 7 lbs.

DS#2 came on his own 3 days before his EDD.

DS#3 came on his own the morning after his EDD; I was in labor on the EDD.

DS#4 came on his own one day before his EDD.

You've gotten a lot of good advice, and I don't have anything real to add, but I just wanted to say that it really stinks that you have to deal with all of this at the end of your pregnancy. I'm sorry they had to go and make things even more stressful than they would otherwise be. It's not like preparing to birth a child isn't enough to handle, why not add on a bunch of bureaucracy, right? :glare:

I hope your little one is ready and comes before the appointment so you don't have to worry about it.

Did you have a first trimester ultrasound? If so, if that date supported the earlier date she would have reason to move it. But I've never heard of an OB changing dates based on an 18-week ultrasound. Have you talked to the other OBs in the practice about that? If you could that problem resolved, everything else would probably take care of itself.

I agree that stripping membranes with GBS+ wasn't a good idea either.

Pitocin after delivery, on the other hand, is good preventative medicine. Dr. Amy talks about that here

Just throwing this out there..... dd, almost 18, was born one day early. I was dilated 5 one month before due date, and had very strong BH contractions regularly. I tested positive to Strep B. I had very strong contractions a week before I had her, but they stopped. But when I had her, she was very "overdone." Lots of meconium in the water, very shriveled cord, and she was almost 9 lbs. and broke my tailbone. She was also in distress during labor, and came out blue. Then at six days had to be hospitalized because her breathing rate was twice as fast as it should be. Luckily that came out fine. But my back won't ever be right again. I am a small person and had no business delivering an almost 9 lb. baby with an almost 14" head! I don't think they had as accurate ways of measuring back then, the week I had her the doctor said she was 7 or 7 1/2 pounds. After I had her I screamed to the doctor "you lied!!!" I delivered quickly with no help with the pain. And they never got the IV antibiotic in for the strep B.

I remember being very adamant that my labor be natural, but in hindsight (which I know is always 20/20) it would have been better to have her a week earlier. I didn't do any of the tests you are mentioning, maybe they didn't exist, or maybe I didn't get them because I had her before my due date.

I think these things, even now, are impossible to predict. You can look at the aging of the placenta to get some general idea of when a baby is going postdates. They can check for that in the u/s. But, size is really a guessing game at best. Meconium in the water can be from the stress of labor.

My first dd was born at 41 weeks and 3 days. She showed no signs of being postdates and was only 6 and a half pounds. I cringe to think of what would have happened if I had gone ahead with the scheduled induction the OB insisted on at 38 weeks. She wanted induction because my due date was on Christmas. :glare:

The typical opinion of obs is to induce sooner rather than wait it out. Every day in utero is a day things can go horribly wrong. Rather a few days in NICU or a painful pit induction for mom than to take that risk. However, I wonder what the long term results are of inducing babies before they would have come on their own. Studies have found that even late preterm babies (35-36 weeks) are more at risk for learning disabilities than those born at full term. But, those sort of things don't matter to an OB that is only at risk if something goes wrong in utero or with delivery itself.

What are my options here? Can I just flat out refuse an induction on the 17th (one day after my original due date) if I don't want one?

You absolutely have the right to refuse any procedure that you don't want. They may try to scare you into induction, but that's all it is, is scare tactics to get you to be a "compliant" patient.

Say it with me, "No."

Would there be something wrong with "stripping the membranes"? I realize there is an issue with breaking the bag of waters, but do those same issues apply for stripping? I know that for me, when I was close, my midwife stripped the membranes and I was in labor within 12 hours. It was essentially a slightly "rough" exam, but was far from painful.

There are ways for dh to help you with that, if your midwife won't.

With GBS, stripping the membranes raises the risk of infection. In fact, with GBS, I would refuse everyone (except your husband during tea) access to your vagina.

Did you have a first trimester ultrasound? If so, if that date supported the earlier date she would have reason to move it. But I've never heard of an OB changing dates based on an 18-week ultrasound. Have you talked to the other OBs in the practice about that? If you could that problem resolved, everything else would probably take care of itself.

I agree that stripping membranes with GBS+ wasn't a good idea either.

Pitocin after delivery, on the other hand, is good preventative medicine. Dr. Amy talks about that here

I don't consider Dr. Amy a reliable person. She is a scare mongerer who is dedicated to seeking out anyone on the net who might be considering a home birth to harass them. She exaggerates the risks of natural birth and downplays the risks of interventive birth.

While having Pitocin (or similar drugs) on hand to stop hemorrhaging is necessary, actually giving it to every birthing woman is not. There are many physiological process built into the normal process of giving birth that help control bleeding. When these processes are interfered with or when, for some reason, the mom's body is not working properly, we say "Thank God for these drugs!"

But for every story there's another one that has the opposite outcome. We can all trade stories all day. I could say that all of my babies have been "overdue"- the longest was 11 days. I was GBS+ with my last pregnancy. He was 9 lbs and I am 5"1' 110 lb pre-pregnancy. I have had 3 homebirths. I did not have antibiotics for my GBS+ delivery and I was in labor for 22 hours. I did use Hibiclens and my water didn't break until an hour or so before he was born. (And we did not break it ourselves or strip membranes). He was very healthy and I had not one complication and no pitocin and no bleeding issues. This has been the case for me with 5 deliveries- small mom, big "overdue" babies, no complications for mom or babies.

Why don't women trust in their own bodies anymore? I understand that there are some (far fewer than most people would have us believe) cases where help is needed. But most often, our bodies know when the baby is ready and everything comes together to start labor.

We have been so brainwashed in this country in the way we look at birth. It is not a medical event. I am appalled that the OP is being told how she will give birth and given no say in the matter. But what I find even more appalling is the number of women who will defend unnecessary medical intervention during birth based on fear and anecdotes.

I don't consider Dr. Amy a reliable person. She is a scare mongerer who is dedicated to seeking out anyone on the net who might be considering a home birth to harass them. She exaggerates the risks of natural birth and downplays the risks of interventive birth.

While having Pitocin (or similar drugs) on hand to stop hemorrhaging is necessary, actually giving it to every birthing woman is not. There are many physiological process built into the normal process of giving birth that help control bleeding. When these processes are interfered with or when, for some reason, the mom's body is not working properly, we say "Thank God for these drugs!"

I don't like her style either but much of her info is good and should not be ruled out simply because she's relating it. It's fairly easy to follow her links or google her concerns and references and come up with good quality information on the subjects she tackles.

Wasn't there a recent Duke study linking pitocin to post partum hemorrhage? I haven't followed up to see the responses but I saw that piece when it first hit.

I agree that people can share anecdotes all day. I am a small framed woman, 5'2" and my third birth was a 9 lber. It wasn't a difficult labor or delivery. I think inducing for size (provided baby looks okay otherwise) is often misguided.

If I was sure of my dates, I would not allow them to move my date based on an 18 week US. I have had dating USs in early pregnancy with all 3 babies because I have irregular cycles (PCOS). My understanding was that they are more accurate for dating purposes, but I could be mistaken. I think there's less variability at that stage which can make dating easier. I personally would be okay with having a biophysical profile if things went on a bit past my EDD, but inducing just because my due date was adjusted by an ultrasound, with no other indication? I personally would say no (only speaking for myself) unless there were other indications or concerns.

I'm surprised there is NO leeway at all; most people have told me their doctors will go 1-2 weeks over without trouble, but not after that.

My children have all been over. The first was 12 days over. Number 2 was 14 days over. Number 6 was exactly 44 weeks. Number 3 was 3 weeks over. I just figure at LEAST 2 weeks over.

Thankfully, I've had an understanding midwife.

My biggest baby was 8 lbs 8 oz (#3). The rest were much smaller. I KNOW when I got pregnant. I know most people don't know conception dates, but some of us DO.

Good luck! I personally might not show up . . .

I would go for another opinion. I ended up going past my due date with my third daughter and that was the worst thing my midwife ever did. Though I didn't know I was carrying an almost 10 pound baby either. She was being clocked as a 8lber.

Anyways I was walking around 5cm dilated and just nothing was happening. They did start the pitocin first before breaking my water. I think its to cover their butts so to speak. Sometimes labor can be delayed if you just break the water.

This happened with my 2nd daughter. My water broke with her. Went to the hospital, they tested it , said it wasn't, the heck it wasn't. And sent me home. It took me until the evening of the next day for labor to finally hit. So this maybe what your midwife is thinking in those terms.

I really don't think they like to manually break your water if they don't have to until the very last minute. Because once it is broke, and labor isn't going well you are at a risk for infection too.

Needless to say my third daughter was to big for me to pass because I held on to her longer than I should have. I was able to push her til she crowned but that was the end of that. The cord wrapped around her neck( she was breech for a long time during my pregnancy) and they had to manually pull her out because she was down way to far and her heart rate plummeted. She ended up with a brachial plexus injury, and did swallow a little meconium but she was alright with that. She is now 8 , my quitest child , didn't start talking until the age of 4.5. Smart as a whip though I do think she has mild cerebal palsy from it all.

My whole point? If you don't feel comfortable with what your midwife is doing. Get another opinion.

The later the ultrasound the less accurate it is. An early, 6-9 week ultrasound is fairly good at predicting EDD. An 18 week ultrasound is not. Go with the original due date. Then figure that you have up to two weeks after that. Decline any inductions before you are ACTUALLY past dates....and I mean past 2 weeks over your REAL EDD.

Yes, you can decline. You have the right to decline any and all procedures. And they can't kick you out of the practice if you are within 30 days of your due date without transfering your care to another practice.

This. I am really surprised your midwife adjusted your EDD based on an 18 week ultrasound. That is NOT standard, in my experience. I've had my EDD adjusted based on early u/s, but when I go back in for the 16-18 week one, all of my midwives have declined to adjust the EDD based on it, saying there is too much natural variability at that point. And we've moved around a lot, so these were 4 different care providers and all shared the same understanding.

My inclination in your situation would be to see another OB in the same practice for a regular prenatal visit, not a Biophysical Profile. Then, I would not even bring up the midwife's recommendations. It may very well be that the OB checks you out, sees all is well and sends you on your way to continue the wait. IF he brings up the midwife's recommendations, I'd laugh them off, saying yes I know she said that, but of course that's not based on my REAL EDD. So, if I go to say, 41 weeks (based on the original EDD), then let's talk about a BPP.

I'd tell her to kiss my arse! My body, my pregnancy, my baby, my birth.

They cannot "make" you induce. They cannot "make" you take their drugs.

Refuse it all. Tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Trust YOUR gut on this.

Refuse, refuse, refuse. Refuse the induction (here in TX, it's illegal for an OB to drop you less than month before you give birth IIRC). Refuse the pitocin. Refuse to acknowledge their new EDD. Your body knows what to do. Just give it a chance to do it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Wholeheartedly. Your body. your baby. Your intuition.

The thing is, of course, that you'll be distracted and weak and in no condition to insist. So, bringing a doula with you to insist for you is probably your best option.

If I ever had to give birth in a hospital again, I would absolutely insist on a doula. Heck, I insist on a doula now, for natural births with friendly midwives. A doula can be a fabulous advocate for your wishes, when you are feeling emotionally unable to fight.

Also, if you are inclined to try any self-inducement techniques, besides some of the great ones already recommended, I highly recommend a prenatal massage. With my last three births, I have scheduled a prenatal massage toward the end of my pregnancy, and have gone into labor within 24 hours all three times! I think it just really relaxes me, and also there are several accupressure points that help stimulate labor. With you being at 3 cm already, it could be just enough to tip you over the edge into labor. Orif not, at least it would be a great way to relieve some of this tension you are dealing with and go into labor more relaxed and limber. :001_smile:

Best of luck to you! I hope to read your positive birth story very soon!

I haven't read all the responses, but I will tell you that I've had pitocin and it does hurt. She's an imbecile if she says it doesn't. I've had it with one of my 4 deliveries so I know of what I speak.

Can you ask the other provider at your next appointment if they can sweep your membranes to try to induce instead of using pitocin? Doctors here are a lot less invasive during pregnancy and a lot more willing to let nature take its course. When I was 9 days late with my 4th, the dr actually gave me the option of having my membranes swept to get things going, but didn't insist on it. I chose to go ahead with it because I wanted to have the baby before dh had to go out of town, and it worked for me.