Menu

How Often do You Go Out for School?

kathy_overman

There are lots of neat homeschool classes, and activities in our area. When we recently started HS'ing, I envisioned us doing a Science class at the museum, Art class at the 'center', and natures studies at the arboretum - I thought we would do these things several times a week. Well that is not happening.

I find our days get filled schooling and doing everythings that needs to get done around the house, that cramming in a class at the museum sounds like more work than fun.

I am curious how often others 'go out' for classes, and other 'schooling' activities during the week? Do you do something outside the house regularly?

We do go out most days around 4pm for sport activities, but I am talking about non-sports things. Just curious what others' weeks are like.

DS is in two homeschool sports classes that meet in the mornings. These are not year-round programs, but 4 or 8 week sessions. He also takes a nature class 2 days a months and an art class at a gallery 1 day a month. In the past, he has also taken another outside class on a weekly basis but I am limiting our outside classes right now so we have time for the two sports that he enjoys.

For us, it really varies by season/month. Spring and fall tends to be much busier, as there are so many opportunities. We school year-round so we have the freedom/flexibility to take advantage of outside classes when they are available.

We go out every Wednesday, for theater class, and also to work at the library for a couple of hours. We have girl scouts a couple times a month, on Friday afternoons, and we meet friends for park days or museum trips once or twice a month as well. The girls also have religion classes once a week and karate/ballet classes, all of which takes us out just about every afternoon and evening of the week.

Other than that, we stay home and get work done. I have become quite protective of our time at home to work. It's far too easy to say yes to all the extra social stuff: movies, bowling, park days, playdates, etc. and then we're stressed out because we fall behind in our work.

On Wednesday mornings, while I'm packing lunches and making sure the girls are packing the books they need for the day, I am reminded that this is what regular school moms do Monday through Friday, and earlier in the morning than I have to do it. And I'm glad, again, that we homeschool.

My favorite days are days when we don't have anywhere to be and can take our time with things. Those days are few and far between, though.

When mine were younger, we went out two days a week, usually. One day was a homeschool group park day or field trip or nature class or something like that, and the other was errands and the library.

By the time they are doing logic stage/middle school work, though, it starts getting tougher to justify being away from home. Nowadays, I try to hold it to one day. Currently, my son is doing a Lego robotics team that was supposed to be just a couple of hours on Thursdays. We figured we could do that and then do our library stop on the way home. As it's turned out, though, robotics ends up eating pretty much the whole day (with extra practice and social time after class and so on). So, we haven't gone to the library in weeks, because I can't squeeze it into the schedule.

We only do MORNING outings period. . .when my little ones naps are off, it ruins the rest of the day for everyone.

We go to the library every other Monday (this counts, right?;)),and we get together with the homeschool group 1-2 times a month (depending on whether the outing is a MORNING one)

I really don't aspire to more than this. We go OUTSIDE everyday and play in the woods. . and in the creek.

I've tried to do activites 3 or more times a week in the past, and it led to our actual lessons NOT being consistent. That might be different for someone with only older children, though.

We allot a day and a "half" for outside work. One of those days is taken up with co-op, and the "half" day really means ds starts earlier in the morning so that he can be done by noon and go to P.E. and golf. If we choose to do another outing, one of those two days get cut.

When he was younger we did school anywhere and everywhere. We took entire weeks of field trips. But now...I wish I knew how to balance the need for more rigorous work AND more community access with a middle schooler.

In our area, there are daily activities from which to choose. However, this presents a problem in getting schoolwork done =) When my guys were in elementary school, we went on more outings to the park, museum, etc. Now that my kids have reached middle/high school, we just don't have time for these things.

We go out once a week to co-op where my teens have core classes plus SAT Prep and guitar. Tuesday is PE for 1.5 hours. Only other outing is church.

The oldest two do have pet-sitting, childcare, and ice cream shop jobs as well.

Smiles,

Teresa

We do co-op on Wednesday, ballet on Thursday (but I guess that's sport-like) and piano on Tuesday. My kids are involved in FLL (lego robotic) right now which means robotics meetings on Saturday mornings and online meeting with the rest of the team on Wednesday (but that's at home). They have a robotics meeting once a month that's not strictly FLL but just the regular robotics project through 4H.

ETA: I always feel like I'm not getting them out of the house enough. My ten year old in particular is very social and both kids miss their friends from school. Co-op has been a life saver this year and is worth the bite it takes out of my week.

Edited by Mimm

The Sponge goes for a fine arts intensive most of the day on Wed. The Drama has play preschool 4 hours a week. We also have playgroups 2 times a week for about 2 hours each. I could sign them up for a bunch of library stuff but that would be too much driving. We might be doing a little weekly co-op with a friend where we take turns with foreign languages.

I am curious how often others 'go out' for classes, and other 'schooling' activities during the week? Do you do something outside the house regularly?

I don't consider any of the kids' classes part of their schooling. Mostly the things they do are just for fun ... they attend a book club, a science club, a naturalist club, etc ... but these are "enrichment," not "school."

I haven't really found any classes that are rigorous and in-depth enough to count as anything more than a fun supplement.

Tara

I schedule school Monday-Thursday for this very reason. We use Fridays for outings, and if there is an event we really want to do and it is on a day other than Friday we slide our schoolwork to Friday to keep up.

But as for the actual planned events, we do Swimming lessons every Tuesday morning, and since the boys are in different levels the other boys complete work while waiting for their lessons or for the rest to finish. We also go to a museum at least every other Friday. We joined our State Science museum and it is almost an hour drive so before we go we have a plan for a lab report and a section that we working on for that day. We spend half the day "learning" a science area and the other half of the day they go to their favorite areas, and have free time to explore whatever they want. We dropped out of a weekly co-op that we used last year because we were not getting enough out of it for the tradeoff of time.

We go out somewhere almost everyday! In the past we would only go to an activity once or twice a month, and I would not let them do spontaneous outings when people called unless they finished their work for the day. Either we're getting more efficient at doing the schoolwork, or I'm more relaxed, or they are just more mature and eager for social activities outside our immediate family, because our days go so much more smoothly when we have planned activities that get us out and about.

We do:

Sports through town rec department (DD9)

Sports through middle school (DS10)

Instrument lessons and band through middle school (DS)

Swimming, PE, running club through YMCA ( not all at once! We pick a different class each session)

Art class at local Christian school

Homeschool group (twice a month)

Field trip almost every week

Audubon society class once a month

Planetarium trips

After school enrichment class at museum twice a week

DD has speech twice weekly

Oodles of playtime with friends

Ummmm.....obviously we don't do 8 hours of schoolwork daily. :lol:

I don't consider any of the kids' classes part of their schooling. Mostly the things they do are just for fun ... they attend a book club, a science club, a naturalist club, etc ... but these are "enrichment," not "school."

I haven't really found any classes that are rigorous and in-depth enough to count as anything more than a fun supplement.

Tara

That has been my experience too. The classes are more fun than educational. I feel like we can't skip what still needs to be done at home.

In fact, I too, enjoy the days that we have nothing planned - like every Tuesday. These days are relaxing, enjoyable, and we get tons done.

We do a full day of school at a local Montessori on Mondays, and every other Thursday we have a drum class. Before I know it, our weeks are booked with these activities, dr. apts., errands, etc. I laughed about the comment on lunches - I hate making lunch for that one day a week they go to school, and they even had homework this past week.

How lame are we? Our DS, had 1 page of 'homework' and we didn't even get that done. Oh, how I love being lame ... as this is our first year. I really enjoy no homework and no lunches.

I loved the idea of the extra classes, but find we need and really enjoy the time at home.

We don't go out for school. Schooling at the library would just leave Becca distracted. More so than usual. :glare: We do our schooling at home.

They do go to a co-op one day a week and do all the activities noted in my sig, so we're busy. Schoolwork is dragging out today because both girls had AHG and Becca has gymnastics. She still needs to do Latin and TT. (I just consider the co-op to be enrichment, not academic.)

Apart from sports activities in the late afternoon/early evening (badminton, tennis, swimming) we don't go out at all. There really isn't very much locally that a homeschooler could go out for. There are some homeschool groups that meet regularly in other towns, but they're about an hour's drive away, so not really convenient - I might make the effort if we had loads of spare time, but we don't, at all.

DS10 goes out to his music lesson on Wednesday afternoons (piano and cornet), to a lady who lives a ten minute walk away. DS7, DS4 and I spend that time doing Science.

At the moment I like not going out. Mainly I think I just get so tired, and sometimes a bit stressed, trying to fit everything in, that it's just lovely to stay at home.

Cassy

We do out of the house learning one full day a week at co-op. I select classes that enrich our home learning and things that we don't do at home for more variety, and they both get P.E. there.

As for other outside learning, it varies. Once or twice a month we do a field trip outside of the house based on opportunity. This week we did an all day trip to a museum for a special homeschool day that they had. Last week we did school at home during the day, then slipped out to the zoo in the afternoon for a science activity that was a one time thing. This week I have books on the topic we learned about to further study.

Mine both attend scouts one night a week as well which presents many learning opportunities (but we would do if we were in school too..)

almost never.

I am a severe home-body. I love to be at home with my kids and being out of the house really exhausts me. If I don't have a sound routine that is mostly predictable from day to day, I get nothing done. I cannot come home from being out and expect that the kids and I will be able to "get some more school work done."

We have our TOG group one morning a week, and piano lessons another day of the week. TOG is day-to-day curriculum. Being out with other families who are focusing on exactly the same things that we are serves to enhance our daily lessons and actually helps push us a bit. Piano lessons are a requirement for our home school.

At least twice a month (October - May) we see a "school" performance at a children's theatre or other group (ballet, symphony, etc). We also do half school days once a week to accomodate skating lessons and hanging out with friends. Zoo and science museum days are at-will, as are interesting looking exhibits at local museums, etc.

ETA: We school year-round, and so don't feel much pressure time-wise.

These are our activities for the week

Dd4

3 hours a day M-F at a private Montessori (free through VPK)

2 hours a week ballet

1/2 hour a week piano lesson

Ds8

3 hours a week Taekwondo

2 hours a week Beginner Ballet and Tap

2 hours a week Tennis

1/2 hour a week Piano lesson

Tomorrow we're going on our second field trip for the year. The first one was the first day of school (August 29) at the supermarket with the local playgroup, tomorrow at the Botanical Garden in town (an hour and a half away).

Both children are participating in the Christmas recital.

Ds used to be in Cubscouts, but this year we found it to be too much.

Mine are all younger but we go out a lot. My boys are not great at sitting still inside very long. The two middles have music class Monday afternoons the oldest and youngest have music Wednesday evening. We go to many cub scout events, coop every Friday morning and a zoo or museum trip every two weeks or some field trip. We try the building workshops at least once a month as well. I do nature walks a lot when they are wiggly as well. We set up play dates with friends at least twice a month.

Last school year we didn't do any activities outside of the home, except for going to the library and parks. ( I worked a crazy full time retail schedule and was often too tired to do or go anywhere on my "off" days.

This school year we are busy with a newborn in the house, but I had to incorporate outside activities into our schedule because the kids were starting to say "homeschool" was boring and older ds begin begging to go back to public school (and we almost gave in :001_huh:).

homeschool PE -twice weekly

robotics-once per week

art class-once per week

bible study @ church-every Wednesday night

Mathnasium-4-5 times per week

They're much happier now. We are out of the house a lot, but we school year round and I'm taking it easy this year with a newborn in tow.

almost never.

I am a severe home-body. I love to be at home with my kids and being out of the house really exhausts me. If I don't have a sound routine that is mostly predictable from day to day, I get nothing done. I cannot come home from being out and expect that the kids and I will be able to "get some more school work done."

We have our TOG group one morning a week, and piano lessons another day of the week. TOG is day-to-day curriculum. Being out with other families who are focusing on exactly the same things that we are serves to enhance our daily lessons and actually helps push us a bit. Piano lessons are a requirement for our home school.

I love your blog and seeing your TOG group. I'm jealous! That would be so fun :))

Today, because we had gorgeous weather and it will be cold and windy again very soon, we ran out for a zoo and arboretum nature hike (and to pick up my road bike from the shop). I love the flexibility that allows us to enjoy a beautiful day. I *slightly* miss being able to hop on my bike and ride all day while the kids are at public school! Oh sorry. Tangent....

Typically, we are just going out into the larger town nearby about once a week and that is for homeschool gym class which rocks. I have a friend who is doing a classical co-op on Fridays which I'm interested in, but will probably pass on it b/c I don't want to be obligated to leave home so often! I love home :) So do my kids.

Homeschool PE at the YMCA (1 hour twice a week, Tues/Thurs)

Homeschool Robotics Team (2 hours once a week)

Homeschool Science (2, 1 hour classes one day a month)

My girls also do ballet (one of them), gymnastics (the other), and Girl Scouts (both of them) but they are extra-curriculars with kids from public/private schools.

Not often but my kids are older. It's just very difficult to take time off when you are dealing with jr. high and high school. And my jr. higher is a competitive gymnast so we don't have the flexibility to do school later in the afternoon or evening to make up for missed time because she trains 20 hours a week in the afternoons and evenings.

Heather

I guess I just don't get it. My kids are still relatively young (7 yo), so I can see that we may end up being home later, but we go somewhere most days. If I had to be in the house with them all day every weekday, I would go insane and so would they. We like to have a nice, lazy home day to get projects done once a week maybe, but they would be sad to not do soccer and dance or to see their friends when there's a park day or to be a part of our little rotating home co-ops. Plus there's always something going on or a museum tie in to what we're studying.

When my dc were younger, we were out every day. They learned so much from our trips to science centers, going to plays, walks at the state park, etc. We didn't do a lot of homeschool activities, because they weren't usually that worthwhile, but area organizations had great opportunities. We did the core subjects - 3Rs - at home and then everything else was exploring or reading. I wouldn't change a thing, because it was a great thing for my dc, and we just don't have as much time anymore.

Now we are out less, because school takes longer. We do go to music lessons and symphony practice and art lessons (not just craft lessons, but actual art class,) as well as Robotics and FLL. I can't imagine staying home all day every day, because we would go stir crazy, and I want dc to have some group and class experiences.

I direct an enrichment co-op that meets 8 days (3 hours of classes) in the fall and 8 days in the winter/spring.

We go out one day a week for my dd to take a study skill class this semester and a cotillion class next semester. This is at a private school that allows homeschoolers to take classes. Several kids from our church go there, and dd feels the cotillion class would be the chance for her to have something like a prom. I realized the school's 3rd grade music class met at the same time, and the school is allowing ds to take the class along with them since we are already out there.

I'm leading a book club for ds and a couple of friends that will meet 5 times. We are going out for that because of the friends' locations and schedules.

This doesn't include Cub Scouts, Upward Basketball, Venturing, or field trips.

My kids are still relatively young (7 yo)

It's easier when they are younger. When school took 2 hours, going out was no big deal. Now my oldest homeschooled child is in 4th grade, and we do school from 9-2:30 (sometimes 3, depending on how into science or history we have gotten). Considering I still have laundry, cleaning, cooking, and sometimes working (I work evenings) to occupy the rest of my day, going out frequently is difficult. When we were done by 11, it was no problem. Have some lunch, go out for a while, come home around 3, still plenty of time to get everything done.

That's not to say my kids don't have activities. As mentioned in my earlier post, they are involved in things and they also play hockey 8 months out of the year. But I don't count these as school (except for hockey, which fulfills phys ed requirements) and for the most part these things (except for hockey) are the first to go when time gets tight. I'm not wedded to the kids' outside classes because they are not school.

Tara