Menu

When do you declare a car officially dead?

DawnM

We want to "drive our car into the ground" but we can't seem to agree on what that means!

We have a 1996 car that has had more and more problems lately.

Now we have just replaced (ok, well within the last 18 months) several parts, Dh is handy with cars so thankfully we have only paid for parts. But it is making odd noises, the tires are dry rotting (told this today during inspection) and I think we may have to call it soon.

DH had said we would NOT replace the tires again. The car isn't worth it.

We already only have DH drive it because he is worried it will break down. It hasn't quite broken down yet, but it has had problems.

Why can't we figure this out?

Well, I can tell you why....we are all into debt free living and making do with what we have.....so now we can't figure out when to call it quits! This used to be easy.....you know, "the car is officially dead because I want a red one now!" :lol: But we don't do that anymore.

Sigh.

Dawn

Well, most recently for us it was, "The car is officially dead because I drove it with no oil in the engine and it just stopped suddenly, never to start again." You might could go that route? Drain the oil, and then drive around the block a few times. Then you'll know it's dead.

However, since that's probably not what you're going to do in your case, I would say it's dead enough when it's costing you quite a bit of extra money to fix it just so it can keep going (safely). Not regular maintenance and gas, but extra. Think about how much you put into it a year -- can you get a better vehicle for that amount? We don't often go into debt except for our home, but once in awhile we do for a vehicle. We have done this recently because we're able to do so financially, because it's a small loan, and because we have always paid that five year loan off in less than two years. I think at least one safe vehicle (if you're going to be driving) is a necessity.

Edited by milovaný

My van is a 1998 with 170,000 miles on it and I really don't know how much longer it's going to last. We've had to put $4000 into it so far this year (and that was all in a 3 month time-period). It's getting kind of iffy about starting. I'm glad that my middle dd isn't driving on her own yet because I don't want her to have to deal with it dying on her while she's alone. She's inclined to panic.

I want it to last two more years so my dh's new car will be paid off. His pickup was 15yo with about 150,000 miles on it when he replaced it. I don't know if the van will make it that long.

It takes me a long time to find a good used car to pay cash for. I want one with air conditioning, usually a Toyota or Honda, comfortable, just one owner--the kind that changes the oil every 3000 miles and can prove it from a meticulous little file, and reasonably kept up otherwise.

So, when my current 'old car' starts to get expensive to maintain, I start looking for another car. If I find one, great! If I don't, I fix the old one. Then I wait about a year to start looking again.

This works pretty well. I don't want a catastrophe to force me into something different. By the same token, I'm prepared to jump on a really good deal if it comes up.

I would declare a car officially dead when its combined expenses to keep it running, safe, and legal (parts and gas, especially if gas mileage was poor due to work needed) were more expensive than the cost of a replacement vehicle (ie gas and purchase cost/car payment). If it's cheaper to put money into parts than to buy a replacement vehicle, and parts are available and will keep it running, safe, and legal, then it's not dead yet. Btdt a few times -- buying a new engine for one vehicle was cheaper than replacing that vehicle, but we've gotten to the point where that was not true of other vehicles, so they were replaced.

We actually just had to replace our car this summer. It was a fairly easy decision when the cost of the repairs were more than what the car was worth. We've enjoyed not having a car payment for the past 10 years but I have to admit that it's really nice to hear the car crank when I turn the key in the ignition. :D

For us it's dead when the cost of safely running it isn't worth it anymore (i.e. we can replace with a newer used or do without). We have a vehicle that needs it's third transmission. That won't happen so when it is no longer safe/drivable it's gone. It needs a new battery right now. That will happen because without it we're down to one vehicle. I dread the day but replacement isn't in the financial cards if it happens soon.

The tires issue doesn't sound safe. So I'd have to weigh cost of tires and parts for repairs with what you guys could do instead without incurring debt. My guess is tires and parts are cheaper than replacing.

When I don't feel safe driving in it with the children anymore.

:iagree:

We are trying to make the same decision right now with our car.

For me it's time to call it a day when everytime I drive somewhere in it I realise I am praying continously that we will make it there and back :D

We (well I!) declared my old van dead when the heat and the anti-lock brakes stopped working. Facing a winter with no heat and cruddy brakes was more than I could bear. Fixing either one would cost more than the van was worth.

So I inherited DH's car and he got a used pickup. And both have heat!

I don't consider a 1996 car particularly old, I just got rid of my 1994 car because it was only held together by rust and habit and suddenly stopped cooling the engine but it had been abused by its previous owner (I got given it) so was in bad conditionand not worth investing in. If I had a better cared for car of that age I wouldn't get rid of it just because of its age.

I don't think you have enough information to know if your car is at the end of its life.

If your car has been well maintained by your family and its likely that its just small jobs that need doing then it could be worth keeping and replacing the tyres, since they are routine maintenance anyway and there is nothing to say they wouldn't need replacing soon on a replacement car anyway. Could you get it looked over by a mechanic to get some idea of what the funny noises are? My dh's car has made a range of funny noises and several of them were because the noise blocking material (don't know what its called) had come adrift and just needed putting back and the other major noises were when the fan belt was wearing but that was cheap to fix and when a wheel bearing went which was about the same price.

We already only have DH drive it because he is worried it will break down. It hasn't quite broken down yet, but it has had problems.
:iagree:that this is a good step. Also, Invest in AAA Gold. (~$90-100 in our community). They'll tow you for 100 miles if you need it. Ask me how I know. :D:D:D

I would declare a car officially dead when its combined expenses to keep it running, safe, and legal (parts and gas, especially if gas mileage was poor due to work needed) were more expensive than the cost of a replacement vehicle (ie gas and purchase cost/car payment). If it's cheaper to put money into parts than to buy a replacement vehicle, and parts are available and will keep it running, safe, and legal, then it's not dead yet. Btdt a few times -- buying a new engine for one vehicle was cheaper than replacing that vehicle, but we've gotten to the point where that was not true of other vehicles, so they were replaced.
:iagree:The rule of "It costs more for repairs than the car is worth," is not as effective as "It costs less for repairs than the cost of a new (used) car with problems I don't know about."

Our story: My last car (1991 Ford Explorer) was literally on life support for over a year before we replaced it. It had developed a slow drain on the battery that Loverboy couldn't find on his own, and we couldn't justify a $600 hide-and-seek bill from the mechanic (who wasn't a very good mechanic anyway).

For over a year before discarding the Ford, we attached and unattached the battery cables EVERY SINGLE TIME we drove it. Even running into the store for half an hour demanded this ritual so the car would be guaranteed to start afterwards. For the last 6 months, Loverboy drove the Ford because I had been stranded out-of-town with the car dying and not restarting (needed to be towed...what if the kids had been with me?)

In the meantime, we saved, saved, saved for a new car.

In my mind, a car is dead when it costs more to keep it going than buying a new one would cost. If you think in terms of financing (which I realize you aren't going to do), if a new car would cost $400 a month and the current one is costing, on average, $500 a month to keep going, then get a new car. The old one is dead.

Oh, no. Our 95 Chevy just completely croaked over the summer. I mean, just croaked. ;) We're also against debt, but this was bad. The transmission went out twice and we had it replaced. It went out the third time and we knew the end was near. Also, the ac kept going out - and we're in Texas!!

We were spending so much money on repairs all the time. Plus, we were afraid it would strand my husband somewhere. :glare: Ugh. We probably wasted $2,000 every time the transmission went out.

What a dilemna. We ended up buying a new car (which isn't what I wanted to do), but my husband is very happy.

Several varied answers!

Last year DH did replace the alternator and the belt. It squeals loudly anyway.

The a/c is marginal. It blows somewhat cooler air than what is outside on a hot day.

Door auto windows and locks went out a couple of years ago.

The car is possibly worth $1,000 if sold, although I wouldn't even count on that.

Fixing the tires, a/c, and possibly the squealing noise would be well over $1,000. I think the a/c alone would be $1K.

The other issue is that it is an older Saturn, so parts are getting harder to find to fix it for some parts.

Yeah, I think it is time.

We bought it in April of '96 new. So, in April, we will have had it for 16 years. I would say that is a pretty good life for a car, although I do know some people keep their cars longer than that.

Dawn

In my mind, a car is dead when it costs more to keep it going than buying a new one would cost. If you think in terms of financing (which I realize you aren't going to do), if a new car would cost $400 a month and the current one is costing, on average, $500 a month to keep going, then get a new car. The old one is dead.

:iagree:

We bought it in April of '96 new. So, in April, we will have had it for 16 years. I would say that is a pretty good life for a car, although I do know some people keep their cars longer than that.

Dawn

Wow! Very impressive. I, just yesterday in fact, bought a new car to replace my 8 yo van with 190K miles on it, and I agonized so much over whether to keep it or buy a new one that it really sucked the joy out of owning a new car for me. I am still so guilt-ridden about the whole thing, even though I have a truly beautiful new car in my garage. Don't let that happen to you! After 16 years, you should get to enjoy shopping for and driving a new car. There's no jewel on your crown in heaven for keeping your car beyond its useful life.

And for the record, used cars these days are expensive! I'll bet you get more than $1,000 for your old car. I ended up buying new because there wasn't enough of a break for slightly- or even -very-used.

Terri

We are in this same boat right now. Our old suburban is on it's last leg and soon ds will be driving and it was supposed to be his car. But now the cost of repairs are outstripping what it is worth. For us once the costs of repairs cost more than the car is worth we consider it dead. Luckily dh is also handy with cars otherwise it would get too expensive uber quick.

Wow! Very impressive. I, just yesterday in fact, bought a new car to replace my 8 yo van with 190K miles on it, and I agonized so much over whether to keep it or buy a new one that it really sucked the joy out of owning a new car for me. I am still so guilt-ridden about the whole thing, even though I have a truly beautiful new car in my garage. Don't let that happen to you! After 16 years, you should get to enjoy shopping for and driving a new car. There's no jewel on your crown in heaven for keeping your car beyond its useful life.

And for the record, used cars these days are expensive! I'll bet you get more than $1,000 for your old car. I ended up buying new because there wasn't enough of a break for slightly- or even -very-used.

Terri

This is true because of the Cash for Clunkers deal a few years back. All the cars traded in had to be destroyed by the dealers in order to get their money reimbursed by the government. This stinks because there are few decent priced used cars on the market. Looking for a third car with ds driving is so frustrating.

We're driving a 98 and a 99. So far so good. One major repair and a few minor ones. There have been more repairs as the cars age, but nothing close to the monthly expenses of owning new vehicles. For me, the cost of tires would be preferable to a new car payment and increased insurance rates. However, a major repair cost that was thousands of dollars would be better spent on a down payment on a new vehicle. Perhaps you could figure out the cost of owning something else (payment/taxes/insurance increase) and bank that each month. If you need it for repairs, use it. If not, it can become a down payment when you do go car shopping. You start saving AND getting used to the hit to your budget.

We'd like to keep the 99 Saturn alive for another year at least. Dd turns 15 in January and I want her to learn to drive with a clutch. To me, this is important, but better that she kills the clutch on a dying car.

Several varied answers!

Last year DH did replace the alternator and the belt. It squeals loudly anyway.

The a/c is marginal. It blows somewhat cooler air than what is outside on a hot day.

Door auto windows and locks went out a couple of years ago.

The car is possibly worth $1,000 if sold, although I wouldn't even count on that.

Fixing the tires, a/c, and possibly the squealing noise would be well over $1,000. I think the a/c alone would be $1K.

The other issue is that it is an older Saturn, so parts are getting harder to find to fix it for some parts.

Yeah, I think it is time.

Dawn

I think a squealing new belt could just mean its not correctly adjusted so could be an easy fix. I think I have read they can stretch slightly when new. I have fixed the wiring looms in my doors to fix my windows and locks, its easy and cheap to do yourself but a faff, mine only took a couple of hours to do two doors and that involved replacing pretty much every wire in the loom including the earths (which fixed a relay somewhere else handily). It is doable and only cost me a few pounds. (I do have some electrical experience). Or maybe get a replacement intact loom/s from a scrap yard (assuming its the loom in the door but its so common for them to go just where the door opens since they bend every time you open or close the door.)

But obviously if you aren't going to replace the tyres then its not a car you can keep running.

No, it squealed before the new belt was put on. It isn't a belt noise. It only happens when you turn on the a/c without the car fully warmed up before, but

now it is squealing more often, even if the car is warmed up.

Dawn

I think a squealing new belt could just mean its not correctly adjusted so could be an easy fix. I think I have read they can stretch slightly when new. I have fixed the wiring looms in my doors to fix my windows and locks, its easy and cheap to do yourself but a faff, mine only took a couple of hours to do two doors and that involved replacing pretty much every wire in the loom including the earths (which fixed a relay somewhere else handily). It is doable and only cost me a few pounds. (I do have some electrical experience). Or maybe get a replacement intact loom/s from a scrap yard (assuming its the loom in the door but its so common for them to go just where the door opens since they bend every time you open or close the door.)

But obviously if you aren't going to replace the tyres then its not a car you can keep running.

When I don't feel safe driving in it with the children anymore.

:iagree: If I wouldn't drive it across the state without my dh it's time to start looking around. We just replaced our 10 yr. old van last week though we've been looking/thinking about it for a year. We put lots of miles on our vehicles since we drive cross country at least once a year.

I think I need to specify that the children are never in this car.

This has been DH's commuter/drive to the train station only car for about 2 to 3 years.

The only time the kids have been in it is one Saturday when I went yard sale-ing and was trying to look as poor as possible :D.

DH was asleep when I left. When I got back DH told me to please NEVER take any of the kids in that car and preferably not to drive it myself.

I didn't realize that when I took it. That is when I knew it was bad.

Dawn

When the cost to fix it is more (or close enough) than to just get a better one. Look at the blue book for it as well. We just sold a car (for $500) It would have cost ~$900 to fix it up so that it was decent. (uncle parts price) We figured that this made the car cost about $1400 to us. We got a $1300 car that was much nicer and will last a bit longer. Look at what it would really cost to fix, what you could get to sell it. (be realistic, BB for the car we sold was $1000. When you're talking junkers, you aren't getting rich. though I think we could have gotten a couple hundred more, it wasn't worth it to hold out.) Can you do better with that money? Do you have another thousand to put with it?

ETA_ A few years ago we got rid of our van for a new one. The van had no heat. THe windsheild wipers wouldn't turn off unless you turned the car off. (made washing the windows difficult.) It was in sad shape, but ran well. Until it didn't. I wouldn't consider low air a reason to junk a car. (and it may just need a new can of coolant) And tires are just maintenance. But tires and, and, and, might add up to not-worth-it

Edited by Scuff

Your DH already drew a good line-no more tires! lol

We drive ours into the ground and when ours no longer actually go down the road and the repair bill is higher than the value of the car then we stop. DH will drive his cars even if they break down now and then but I won't. If I get scared of a break down then I give the car to DH and he usually gets another 10K miles on it. :D Major things like engine replacement or transmission problems are not negotiable. If it really costs too much to keep fixing you have to stop at some point.

DH commutes two hours a day on rural roads so we go through a lot of cars. We sold one last night that had a blown cylinder. It's amazing how long a car can really go when you're determined to drive it to the end. we have three cars with over 200K miles on them

We want to "drive our car into the ground" but we can't seem to agree on what that means!

We have a 1996 car that has had more and more problems lately.

Now we have just replaced (ok, well within the last 18 months) several parts, Dh is handy with cars so thankfully we have only paid for parts. But it is making odd noises, the tires are dry rotting (told this today during inspection) and I think we may have to call it soon.

DH had said we would NOT replace the tires again. The car isn't worth it.

Why can't we figure this out?

Dawn

When you "only have DH drive it because he's worried it'll break down."

When you "would not replace the tires because the car isn't worth it."

When it's unsafe and the tires are more than the car is worth.

Being debt free doesn't mean you need to go out and buy a new car. Go buy a good used one. But being unsafe ....get rid of it.

It is officially dead when the cost of repairing it and the frequency of repair work makes it more advantageous to purchase something newer. Repairing anything that is wrong or makes it unsafe is IMO a must. Repairs are so expensive now and it seems like cars just don't last as long as they used to. I personally think that is by design. :glare: If they don't get you in repair work-they'll drive you to getting a newer car.