Menu

HSLDA...Yay or Nay

We're heterosexual, part of a mainstream church, politically fairly conservative, but still not eligible for membership many years because we don't always homeschool all of our children, and sometimes some of them don't use any curriculum, both of which are big no-nos. So no, it's not just gay, liberal types. I've known single moms (single because their dhs left) haven't been able to get representation from them (in one case, she found this out after paying dues, and couldn't get a refund for a LONG time). I really don't like how they claim to speak for ALL homeschoolers, when in fact, they reject coverage for huge segments of the homeschool population.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do homeschoolers who support gay lifestyles, are atheists, are liberals, or consider themselves secular homeschoolers (seem to) make up the largest segment of homeschoolers that oppose this organization?

Saying you don't need it - I "get" The extra stuff about "agenda" is what I'm trying to understand.

I'm a fairly conservative Catholic and I discontinued my membership w/them last yr. I had become increasingly uncomfortable w/them but couldn't put my finger on what exactly made me feel this way. Then, I found out about some dirty pool that went on several yrs. ago and decided that was enough to make me quit. I had vaguely heard about the situation when I first began homeschooling but did not understand it at the time and was too overwhelmed to try. Anyway, I vote no.

Denise

Do homeschoolers who support gay lifestyles, are atheists, are liberals, or consider themselves secular homeschoolers (seem to) make up the largest segment of homeschoolers that oppose this organization?

Saying you don't need it - I "get" The extra stuff about "agenda" is what I'm trying to understand.

I am Catholic. I am fairly conservative. I don't really care that much about the rest of their agenda, but I don't want to pay for it, nor do I want that to go hand-in-hand in people's minds when they think about homeschooling. I wish they were only about homeschooling. As it is, they are divisive when we need unity to protect our rights.

they only help a certain type of homeschooler.

That one particularly bothers me. If I remember correctly, if you have a kid in public or private or public-cyber school, they won't take you as a member. I believe strongly that there is no "one right way" to educate kids; that the more options are out there, the more likely it is that a particular family will find a setting that is a good fit for a particular kid. Homeschooling is great, but it's not always the best fit, and parents should be looking for "best fit" rather than following an ideological standard that isn't the best for their kid.

I also have found that they tend to have a very narrow view of what homeschooling looks like. That cripples them somewhat, in that their legislative advocacy tends to come from that narrow lens, so they are not always inclusive of folks who do things differently.

As an example, in PA, we have to do a log, and in a discussion way back in the day, their guy assumed everyone used textbooks every day, and thus everyone's log could look a certain way, rather than thinking outside the box and drawing a much broader picture of what a log could look like. I was kind of floored, actually, at the narrowness of the guy's vision/experience.

I also feel that if homeschooling is framed as a political-right, anti-gay, anti-UN, evangelical Christian thing (instead of the fairly universal thing it really is), then we risk alienating legislators on the left (rather than showing legislators that homeschooling is a non-partisan issue). And we need both left and right on our side, legislatively, in the long run. [This, I think, is true even if you ARE politically-right, Christian, etc..]

Edited by askPauline

I also feel that if homeschooling is framed as a political-right, anti-gay, anti-UN, evangelical Christian thing (instead of the fairly universal thing it really is), then we risk alienating legislators on the left (rather than showing legislators that homeschooling is a non-partisan issue). And we need both left and right on our side, legislatively, in the long run.

And not just legislators.

Several years ago, some friends and I tried to get a homeschool group/co-op together. Since three of us were members of my UU church, we decided to apply to meet on that campus.

It was "fun" going before our Board of Trustees and trying to explain to them that not all homeschoolers are conservative, right-wing, evangelical Christians. Those folks had no idea there were homeschoolers in our congregation, and they came to our request with so much baggage that it took a while to untangle it and convince them.

The HSLDA does not speak for me. And I suspect they do about as much harm to homeschoolers as they do good.

Yes! I live in AZ with some of the best HSing laws around. I live a very socially conservative life, but I'm a registered Libertarian.

For such a small fee, it's worth it to me to have an organization that wins most of its court cases in favor of the hs parent.

With the morons working for State agencies, there's no telling when one of them will make a HSer's life miserable because of an annoying anonymous tip, an over-reaching government official, or a legislator that thinks they know what's best of everyone's kids.

That being said, I do think it's important that there be various kinds of homeschooling legal organizations that meet the needs of homeschoolers with various philosophical views.

Of course HSLDA can't take people who accept take tax funded education-you take the government money for your child and you take the government controlling (and registering) you. HSLDA is about putting it all into the hands of parents and getting children out from under the control of the State. I know some people don't like that definition of HSer, but how HSLDA be philosophically consistent otherwise? If you want to be a HSer in the eyes of the State of AZ, you can't be registered with a government funded school which means taking government money. You're all in or you're all out. As I said, I'm a Libertarian, so that works with my political views too. I believe it is just as dangerous of government to be involved in education as it is for government to be involved in religion-for basically the same reasons.

The agenda does bother me. But, honestly, I think the whole thing comes across as a shakedown protection racket. It is called extortion when the mob does it.

Actually, the mob threatens you with violence if you choose not to pay for their protection from harm that they themselves will do to you if you don't pay. Isn't extortion where someone threatens to with something you won't like if you don't pay? Would you consider it a shakedown if a secular organzation provided legal protection for HSers too? Can you direct me to any credible allegation that HSLDA threatens to do people some sort of harm or personal damage if people choose not to join? You post sounds very melodramatic to me.

Actually, the mob threatens you with violence if you choose not to pay for their protection from harm that they themselves will do to you if you don't pay. Isn't extortion where someone threatens to with something you won't like if you don't pay? Would you consider it a shakedown if a secular organzation provided legal protection for HSers too? Can you direct me to any credible allegation that HSLDA threatens to do people some sort of harm or personal damage if people choose not to join? You post sounds very melodramatic to me.

They have actively lobbied for greater regulation in some states. They send out fear-mongering emails. That is why it fits.

http://hsislegal.com/

http://hsislegal.com/2009/09/hslda-runs-roughshod-in-nh/

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Of course HSLDA can't take people who accept take tax funded education-you take the government money for your child and you take the government controlling (and registering) you. HSLDA is about putting it all into the hands of parents and getting children out from under the control of the State. I know some people don't like that definition of HSer, but how HSLDA be philosophically consistent otherwise? If you want to be a HSer in the eyes of the State of AZ, you can't be registered with a government funded school which means taking government money. You're all in or you're all out. As I said, I'm a Libertarian, so that works with my political views too. I believe it is just as dangerous of government to be involved in education as it is for government to be involved in religion-for basically the same reasons.

We were referring to families that have, say, one kid in public school and another independently homeschooled. I don't see a philosophical issue with a homeschooling legal organization covering the family for any issues that arise with the homeschooled child, regardless of how other kids in the family may be schooled. Individual children are usually all-in or all-out, but many many families have at least one in and at least one out.

They may have special needs kid in and the rest out, or a special needs kid out and the rest in. They may have younger children out and high schoolers in. etc. etc.

Of course, if HSLDA represented itself as an organization for Libertarian homeschoolers, then an all-must-be-out policy would make some sense. However, they tend to represent themselves as speaking for homeschoolers in general, which is not consistent with an all-must-be-out policy, IMHO.

Of course' date=' if HSLDA represented itself as an organization for Libertarian homeschoolers, then an all-must-be-out policy would make some sense. However, they tend to represent themselves as speaking for homeschoolers in general, which is not consistent with an all-must-be-out policy, IMHO.[/quote']

:iagree: It is also important to remember that they *do* pick and choose which cases to represent. It is *not* legal insurance assume have implied or stated. Many tales of woe have appeared on these boards over the years Asa result of this misunderstanding.

You can have beliefs that align perfectly with the HSLDA's statement of faith, but unless you homeschool in the way they like (a very "school at home" type of thing), they won't represent you. You just aren't guaranteed legal representation by being a member; for any number of reasons, the HSLDA can and will decide not to represent a family.

:lol: This reminds me of the Monty Python skit of docs lining up to work at the Hospital For Pretty Girls Who Aren't Very Sick.

:lol: This reminds me of the Monty Python skit of docs lining up to work at the Hospital For Pretty Girls Who Aren't Very Sick.

:lol:

What really gets me? The amount of information they ask for on their membership applications! If the state asked for that stuff people would "calling their lawyers," but they will hand it over to a private political organization? :confused:

They flat out lie about issues and engage in fear tactics. If one actually researches the truth of their panicked alerts about the latest "threats" to homeschooling one almost invariably finds they have completely distorted the truth.

They spread false fears because the paranoia keeps the donations flowing in.

Bill

I have never seen a need to join such a group. My parents home schooled us and never had a single issue, and I do not know anyone personally who has had any issues homeschooling in our state. We follow all state laws. I really think that CPS in our state has bigger fish to fry than come after parents who are interested in their child's education.

They flat out lie about issues and engage in fear tactics. If one actually researches the truth of their panicked alerts about the latest "threats" to homeschooling one almost invariably finds they have completely distorted the truth.

They spread false fears because the paranoia keeps the donations flowing in.

Bill

Yes, this really bothers me.

I'll say yes. I like having a lawyer at my fingertips in case a social worker is standing on my porch. I've been a member for years.

:iagree: I like HSLDA and was VERY glad I was a member back when I was homeschooling my daughter. One phone call to them nipped an issue right in the bud and at no cost to me. I wouldn't homeschool without them.

I won't support them either, for many of the reasons posted about before. I am a moderately conservative Christian.

Maybe some are just less afraid of the system and/or more proactive than others? This is our eleventh year, and I have never had an issue that I was unable to take care of myself. There were issues both in North Carolina and Hawaii that I took care of with a couple of phone calls, but other people called hslda. I guess I think it is sort of a crutch for some people. I don't really have much respect for that.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I have never seen a need to join such a group. My parents home schooled us and never had a single issue, and I do not know anyone personally who has had any issues homeschooling in our state. We follow all state laws. I really think that CPS in our state has bigger fish to fry than come after parents who are interested in their child's education.

:iagree:

We have a very good friend that is a social worker and she called *me* one time to ask about homeschool laws!:lol: CPS is not out to get you. They can't do anything but hold you to the laws of your state.

HSLDA handled a big court case here in NC a few years ago regarding parents who refused to let a social worker into their house. The state supreme court ruled that social workers needed a court order to come into your home. Fine. So, if you refuse entry, they get a court order - judges just sign them! Refusing entry leads the social worker to think that you have something to hide. Remember that most families they deal with on a regular basis are "in the system" for a reason.

As one time in the past, I was a member of HSLDA. I called them, talked to someone, and was given NO help whatsoever. The person I talked to simply read the law to me. OK, I can do that myself.:glare: It didn't help the situation at all for me to have the law read to me - I needed help determining whether what was being asked of me was allowed or not.

Just out of curiosity, are there many cases, outside of custody disputes, where somebody needs to get a lawyer to defend their right to homeschool? I haven't heard of cases like that in the U.S. (at least since homeschooling has been legal). I would think that, should anybody make a legal objection to my homeschooling (and, outside of a custody dispute, I'm not sure what grounds they'd have for doing so), I'd just point them to the law saying I'm allowed to, and it's done.

I guess I'm just wondering how realistic this fear of CPS coming to your door is, and whether the HSLDA would actually help you should that happen. I have never heard of CPS coming after a family just for homeschooling, although I have heard of allegations of abuse being made against homeschooling families and then homeschooling becomes part of it.

Maybe some are just less afraid of the system and/or more proactive than others? This is our eleventh year, and I hav never had an issue that I was unable to take care of myself. There were issues both in North Carolina and Hawaii that I took care of with a couple of phone calls, but other people called hslda. I guess I think it is sort of a crutch for some people. I don't really have much respect for that.

You may not have ever had an issue that you were unable to take care of yourself, but there are plenty of people who have had very serious issues that they never would have been able to afford otherwise. We knew someone personally in our homeschool group that had a long, MAJOR battle with a nitwit superintendent here in the northeast . It was a very serious, very long legal battle that they ultimately won. That same superintendent went on to another school district, and began to cause problems there also.

The assistant superintendent at a neighboring town was positively clueless about homeschooling. I could not have a conversation with this man, and the problem was not on my end. I don't even know how this man got the job he had. I had plenty of confidence and was not afraid of him, but he was an ignorant, macho, know it all, who really knew nothing. Sometimes you just need a lawyer. At $200-300/hr, that is not feasible for some people.

People that have truly benefited and won major legal cases would probably disagree with you. It's hardly a "crutch" for some people and I think that's kind of a disrespectful and insulting thing to say. If you don't like the organization..fine. Don't join it.

You may not have ever had an issue that you were unable to take care of yourself, but there are plenty of people who have had very serious issues that they never would have been able to afford otherwise. We knew someone personally in our homeschool group that had a long, MAJOR battle with a nitwit superintendent here in the northeast . It was a very serious, very long legal battle that they ultimately won. That same superintendent went on to another school district, and began to cause problems there also.

The assistant superintendent at a neighboring town was positively clueless about homeschooling. I could not have a conversation with this man, and the problem was not on my end. I don't even know how this man got the job he had. I had plenty of confidence and was not afraid of him, but he was an ignorant, macho, know it all, who really knew nothing. Sometimes you just need a lawyer. At $200-300/hr, that is not feasible for some people.

My statement was very qualified and specific about the types of situations where I believe it is being used as a crutch. I never said nobody had ever needed a lawyer.

People that have truly benefited and won major legal cases would probably disagree with you. It's hardly a "crutch" for some people and I think that's kind of a disrespectful and insulting thing to say. If you don't like the organization..fine. Don't join it.

When other people are asking why I don't join the organization, I will tell them. You don't have to read threads on the subject if you don't want to.

It's my understanding that it's not just your family's religious beliefs, either, but also how you homeschool. You can have beliefs that align perfectly with the HSLDA's statement of faith, but unless you homeschool in the way they like (a very "school at home" type of thing), they won't represent you. You just aren't guaranteed legal representation by being a member; for any number of reasons, the HSLDA can and will decide not to represent a family.

You are sadly mistaken about that. Besides the fact that they don't care about your religious beliefs--or lack thereof--you can homeschool any way you like...as long as you're actually homeschooling.

There are many, many urban legends about what HSLDA will and will not do. :glare:

Just out of curiosity, are there many cases, outside of custody disputes, where somebody needs to get a lawyer to defend their right to homeschool? I haven't heard of cases like that in the U.S. (at least since homeschooling has been legal). I would think that, should anybody make a legal objection to my homeschooling (and, outside of a custody dispute, I'm not sure what grounds they'd have for doing so), I'd just point them to the law saying I'm allowed to, and it's done.

I guess I'm just wondering how realistic this fear of CPS coming to your door is, and whether the HSLDA would actually help you should that happen. I have never heard of CPS coming after a family just for homeschooling, although I have heard of allegations of abuse being made against homeschooling families and then homeschooling becomes part of it.

I'm wanting to know this, also.

Thanks for all the replies. I have one in school so I wouldn't qualify anyway. I didn't realize there was so much more to the HSLDA than what I found at face value.

Indiana is a very homeschool friendly state anyway. There are very few laws concerning hsing. We basically have to keep attendance and educate equivalent to the state standards but the DOE doesn't have the authority to define Ă¢â‚¬Å“equivalent instruction". Go figure.

You are sadly mistaken about that. Besides the fact that they don't care about your religious beliefs--or lack thereof--you can homeschool any way you like...as long as you're actually homeschooling.

There are many, many urban legends about what HSLDA will and will not do. :glare:

I don't think they're urban legends, but documented cases.

The HSLDA has a long history of taking over inclusive state groups and replacing them with religiously exclusive ones, with championing legislation that privileges religious homeschoolers over secular ones, and that defines "actually homeschooling" in a way that is quite narrow.

And there's still the political agenda. I will not give my money to an organization that wants to convince me that opposing gay marriage and fighting gun control are somehow necessary to protect my right to homeschool.

We are members. I don't really much care for their political or religious stands, but I have too many other things to have to deal with each time we move to have to worry about finding state support.

I'm not sure what they do with my $9 a month but I'm sure it wouldn't cover their monthly office coffee pot expenses. And sometimes all it takes for a hard@$$ bureaucrat to back off is, "I have to call HSLDA before I can sign that."

I don't find it eye raising that they don't qualify which homeschoolers most fit their viewpoint.

I think this is entirely typical of advocacy groups. Certainly unions, ethnic groups, professional organizations, race/ethnic and gender based groups don't speak for 100% of people who are in those groups. National Organization for Women sounds better than A Limited Group of Women of a Particular Viewpoint who Want to Influence Laws According to their own Goals. Not to mention the acronym would be a bear.

For me, membership is out of the question. The organization goes to [legal] bat only for those whom they choose. The fine print even says so -- or used to say -- that membership does not guarantee legal support. They hand-pick cases which they believe further their own agendum.

In addition, I often have read that membership fees can, and often will, be shifted over to finance pet projects of HSLDA, projects with no relationship to homeschooling legal support.

I don't find it eye raising that they don't qualify which homeschoolers most fit their viewpoint.

I think this is entirely typical of advocacy groups. Certainly unions, ethnic groups, professional organizations, race/ethnic and gender based groups don't speak for 100% of people who are in those groups. National Organization for Women sounds better than A Limited Group of Women of a Particular Viewpoint who Want to Influence Laws According to their own Goals. Not to mention the acronym would be a bear.

There is a big difference in the two organizations. Everybody knows that NOW doesn't speak for all women. Members of congress still meet with other women's advocacy groups that have a different POV. In contrast, local advocacy groups have been shut out of discussions when hslda gets involved. Their membership standards are not clear or transparent to those outside of the community. They represent themselves as representing homeschoolers.

For me, membership is out of the question. The organization goes to [legal] bat only for those whom they choose. The fine print even says so -- or used to say -- that membership does not guarantee legal support.

It still says that right in their FAQ, I just checked.

It is also important to remember that they *do* pick and choose which cases to represent. It is *not* legal insurance assume have implied or stated. Many tales of woe have appeared on these boards over the years Asa result of this misunderstanding.

yeah. This is where it fell apart for me. I joined many years ago when I first started homeschooling because it was pitched to me as a type of homeschooling legal insurance. It took me a while to figure out that it is not.

So I don't join any more just because it is not a good deal financially.

There is a big difference in the two organizations. Everybody knows that NOW doesn't speak for all women. Members of congress still meet with other women's advocacy groups that have a different POV. In contrast, local advocacy groups have been shut out of discussions when hslda gets involved. Their membership standards are not clear or transparent to those outside of the community. They represent themselves as representing homeschoolers.

Sorry but we'll have to disagree on this one. I think NOW would be happy to be considered as the voice of Women. I think that it is only through a lot of time, effort and expense that other organizations (such as Concerned Women for America) have gotten opportunities to be heard.

I think this is a pattern that is repeated with other groups like NAACP, La Raza, NEA and AFT, AARP, etc. Even environmental advocacy groups like Sierra Club. I think there is an implied understanding that the statements of an advocacy group are supposed to represent the best interests of everyone that falls under the supposed umbrella of that group's mission. Of course that isn't always the case. HSLDA does not represent the views of many people on this board. Just as NOW doesn't represent my viewpoints. However, clearly both HSLDA and NOW do strike a chord with many people.

I think the FAQ section on HSLDA and the tabs on the Membership section of their website give a lot of information. There is plenty of information there to help families determine if HSLDA's goals sit well with them or not.

I am an HSLDA member and we will renew.

Where I do get frustrated with HSLDA is that it is not a grassroots organization. There is little opportunity to steer the organization in directions that I'd like it to go. I have started to push back via emails in the last year. For example, I got an email a few months back advertising a nearby convention that prominently featured a keynote speaker that I disagree with. I pointed out to them that I did not think this particular viewpoint was a fundamental issue of homeschooling and that homeschooling was not uniform in side issues (like origins).

Sorry but we'll have to disagree on this one. I think NOW would be happy to be considered as the voice of Women. I think that it is only through a lot of time, effort and expense that other organizations (such as Concerned Women for America) have gotten opportunities to be heard.

But my point was not whether they would like to be considered the voice of women, my point was that they are not considered the voice of women by politicians and other people outside of the female population.

However, clearly both HSLDA and NOW do strike a chord with many people.

I just don't know how true that is about hslda. I think hslda uses scare tactics and fear-mongering to get people to join. Every time this is discussed here there are people who knew nothing about their political agenda.

Where I do get frustrated with HSLDA is that it is not a grassroots organization. There is little opportunity to steer the organization in directions that I'd like it to go. I have started to push back via emails in the last year. For example, I got an email a few months back advertising a nearby convention that prominently featured a keynote speaker that I disagree with. I pointed out to them that I did not think this particular viewpoint was a fundamental issue of homeschooling and that homeschooling was not uniform in side issues (like origins).

I agree with you here. I think they are *more* caught up in side issues then in protecting all kinds of homeschooling for all people.

I agree with you here. I think they are *more* caught up in side issues then in protecting all kinds of homeschooling for all people.

This is the big problem for me.

I'm fully in favor of gun ownership. But if I want to lobby for gun ownership, I'll donate to the NRA. I respect other people's rights to disagree with me and still homeschool. I respect their desire to not have their money used to fight a cause that they oppose.

I strongly dislike their anti-school agenda. I support parental choice and the ability for a parent to make the decision which they believe is best for their child. This may include public school, private school, charter school, homeschool, virtual school, or something else that's not on the top of the head. The same decision is not right for all children.

No, they are not urban legends. HSLDA has subtly changed it's wording over the years. Older membership application forms were quite clear that you needed to use a recognized curriculum. I know because at one time we were going to join and I had the application in hand. I read it. What you call urban legends are based on HSLDA's past.

Speaking of their past, anyone who wants to know more about Michael Farris and Greg Harris should read The White Paper by Dr. Raymond Moore. In fact, anyone who uses HSLDA or is thinking about using them, should read it. Farris, Harris, and 2 others, collectively known as The Four Pillars, are really the reason why homeschooling split into Christian and Everyone Else. It's a long paper, but we're Classical Education moms, so that shouldn't matter. This is the history of homeschooling, and HSLDA's part in it.

No here. We just don't feel the need of legal protection. We live in a reasonably homeschool-friendly state and are in full compliance with the state law. Money is tight too and I'd rather use it for extra field trips or nice books!

I agree with some of their political agenda, but not necessarily the way they go about things. I do agree with others that their organization spends a great deal of time and money in ways that are not directly related to homeschool issues and not helpful to all homeschoolers.

Edited by ScoutTN