Menu

HSLDA...Yay or Nay

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have been instrumental in many states having separate Christian and secular exemptions. It gives the impression that they might want to end secular homeschooling in the future and argue from a freedom of religion perspective. I am a Christian, but I don't want my non-Christian friends to lose their right to homeschool.

:iagree:

We have a wonderful Florida homeschool lobbyist and we haven't joined HSLDA yet (though it's on my watch list).

I saw first-hand how effective HSLDA is last summer when a friend with two recent home school graduates needed HSLDA's services suddently for both dc. HSLDA responded quickly and conclusively in both situations. It was so worth the yearly fee for them!

Lisa

I just remembered a comical episode from HSLDA here in Texas. Some years ago, a local ordinance in (I think) San Antonio came up which would have prohibited guns from being within a certain distance of all schools. The HSLDA folks made a laughingstock of themselves by leaping to defend the presence of guns in the home when the home happened to double as a homeschool. I wrote them to express my displeasure at the needless bid for public notice, because it only drew negative attention to homeschooling, and eventually received only some silly, dismissive reply.

We aren't, yet we are walking around with many of the big "targets" on our backs that would have CPS at our door. We just don't pay for the "legal insurance" they provide. They don't handle all homeschooling issues, are very limited in scope, and we can foot the bill (it would be hard, but we would do it) should CPS knock on our door and freak out at our very well set up homeschool.

I wonder how the pro-HSLDA folks feel about HSLDA's recent mishandling of the Michigan situation? (Or is it Wisconsin? I always get them mixed up.)

In a nutshell, they advised the homeschoolers in that state to file the form on paper instead of online and to NOT give required information, thereby making the state reject the paperwork and inviting more scrutiny. :001_huh:

http://fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90946&highlight=file+paperwork+online

I wonder how the pro-HSLDA folks feel about HSLDA's recent mishandling of the Michigan situation? (Or is it Wisconsin? I always get them mixed up.)

In a nutshell, they advised the homeschoolers in that state to file the form on paper instead of online and to NOT give required information, thereby making the state reject the paperwork and inviting more scrutiny. :001_huh:

http://fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90946&highlight=file+paperwork+online

Can't be Michigan. We don't file anything! :D

No. To support HSLDA would be the height of illogic.

Why would we reject the narrow, test-driven focus of public school to join yet another organization ensconced in a myopic, restrictive view of education? If we desired to be told how to educate our son, we could have opted for the local elementary, and saved ourselves the trouble.