Menu

Hot Saucing Mom found guilty

What she did is horrible, yes...but she was seeking help and in the process was exploited by "Dr." Phil. I fear others in her situation will not seek help for anger for fear of....this...Sad. No matter how you look at it.

I don't blame Dr. Phil. SHE sent the video in. There were many ways she could have asked for help. If she had done so in less than a public manner she might have not been charged. I agree though that it seems extreme to charge and convict her for this.....looks like a good stern slap on the wrist with mandatory parenting classes might have served everyone better.

Is she married? I wonder what will happen to her kids.

Yeah. I guess. I would have rather seen Casey Anthony in jail.

:iagree:

I wouldn't do that "hot saucing" thing, but feel that they should have gotten her help on how to deal with her kids...Putting her in jail and disrupting her family that way could have been avoided...I think it is a shame...Her situation just seems like a lack of knowledge to me, trying to do what she feels is best...I have seen PLENTY of people abuse their kids without a thought to what was best for the child...There is a difference...

She hasn't been sentenced yet.

Imp: hot sauce mom

An Anchorage jury today found Jessica Beagley, 36, guilty of one misdemeanor count of child abuse.

Beagley made national headlines after an appearance on the "Dr. Phil" show that featured footage of the Anchorage mom disciplining her adopted son by forcing him to take cold showers and putting hot sauce in his mouth.

The case went to the jury of three men and three women shortly after noon Monday. The jury delivered a verdict around 1 p.m.

Beagley stood as the verdict was read, then quickly walked out of the courtroom with her husband Gary, an Anchorage police officer.

This makes me angry and sad. I keep comparing this verdict to the Casey Anothony verdict. :confused: The sad part is due to the thought of her family. They have been through so much already. They do not need this on top of everything else. I did happen to see a follow up show on Dr. Phil and he did get help for her so at least he didn't just throw her to the wolves. He said on that show that he didn't believe that putting her through a trial would be helpful to anyone. I am not a Dr. Phil fan at all but I did appreciate his comments regarding this.

Didn't the Facts of Life gal (name??) write a parenting book telling people to use hot sauce. I think it was called Creative Correction. I'm pretty sure that she (what is her name-Blair??) used that method of discipline.

Yes. Actually I was having an issue a few weeks ago with dd lying so I referred to Creative Correction to see what it said, and she suggested hot sauce. :glare: ick. not.helpful.at.all.

ETA: Creative Correction is by Lisa Welchel

I have a friend who used hot sauce for years, but without success. She only did a couple of drops though. When her dd was old enough she went to live with her dad and never looked back.

I have compassion when you are driven to the end of yourself. I can remember more than 17 years ago my step daughter was angry that her father had gone to play cards with the boys without saying goodbye properly to her. She was five then and she screamed at the top of her lungs for the longest time.

We lived in an apartment and I knew the police would come at some point so I put her in a cold shower for just a few seconds until she stopped. It was the last time she did something like that. I remember the look in her eyes when I let go of her. I knew I didn't really win. She was a hurting child trying to get what she wanted any way she could, and I was a new parent trying not to go to jail for something I didn't do. It didn't fix anything, she got more clever about making others unhappy when she didn't get what she wanted.

I feel for this mom. Trying to get help and getting slapped down is sad.

Okay, I seriously don't understand.

You can hit your kid with kitchen utensils, sticks, boards, plumbing line, etc. You can shove bars of soap down their throats. You can lock them in their rooms for hours. You can refuse to feed them the next meal. But if you put a FOOD item in your child's mouth, you'll be prosecuted and found guilty?

Seriously, anyone here knows I think any of these punishments are dumb at best. Parents could choose to do better if they wanted. I wish more wanted to. They may be problematic (you *really* want your kid submitting to that stuff?), but I would think that putting a food item in your child's mouth (where food items regularly go, btw) would be less of a problem to most people than anything else.

ETA: And then the other part is that SHE, unlike certain other parents, was trying to get help. It'd be a bit different if she was hardened and planned to just continue escalating punishment.

Edited by 2J5M9K

She hasn't been sentenced yet.

Imp: hot sauce mom

An Anchorage jury today found Jessica Beagley, 36, guilty of one misdemeanor count of child abuse.

Beagley made national headlines after an appearance on the "Dr. Phil" show that featured footage of the Anchorage mom disciplining her adopted son by forcing him to take cold showers and putting hot sauce in his mouth.

The case went to the jury of three men and three women shortly after noon Monday. The jury delivered a verdict around 1 p.m.

Beagley stood as the verdict was read, then quickly walked out of the courtroom with her husband Gary, an Anchorage police officer.

Ah! Now I remember this! We discussed it on here back when the video first appeared. I wouldn't recommend viewing it to anyone who is sensitive to the plaintive and pained cries of a small child. It was truly heart-breaking.

Ah! Now I remember this! We discussed it on here back when the video first appeared. I wouldn't recommend viewing it to anyone who is sensitive to the plaintive and pained cries of a small child. It was truly heart-breaking.

I've seen the video. :(

I hope she gets some jail time…chances are pretty good that she'll get a taste of her own medicine in there.

The follow up video on that link above was really good. The mom accepted all the help and really made good changes. She also had visits by CPS as well as the Russian Consulate. Everyone agreed she had progressed well and was capable of parenting. Punishment on top of all the real help serves as what?

ETA: Ummm, y'all's kids don't scream when disciplined in any manner? My big kids didn't because they knew I'd be all over that. And I could be because I had raised them from infancy. However, my four (baby doesn't count)? They FREAK OUT very very very loudly and for long periods of time because of ANY discipline. This morning's was because I pushed someone's glasses over a centimeter so it sat on child's face correctly! High pitched screaming for 20 minutes because of that "correction." How many people would try to correct THAT also?

Seriously, I think A LOT of kids carry on like that regardless. And I think foster and adoptive kids got a knack for it. That isn't to say I don't think the kid was wronged by his mom mistreating him. It's just to say that I find the reactions to be a bit over the top especially when such a large percentage of parents choose these types of punishments and it's been so okay'd generally. I think it's great this mom got help. I hope this is over for her family soon.

Edited by 2J5M9K

This is crap. The only reason anything at all was done was because she went air-born with it. Otherwise nothing would have happened. Child services had a video of my neice getting punched in a dirty pool by her mom A video....Nothing was ever done. I should have utubed it and no I didn't take it and after it all came back that woman wouldn't answer her door to me. There is way worse abusers in this world that get away with it because everyone is so busy. I think it is a really crappy world that the only time anyone pays attention is when there is media and compared to what I have seen that child was not abused.

I knew military dads who had their kids shower in cold water for bad behavior and never did I hear that was wrong. So many people put soap in their kids mouths including my mother and I was not abused. Maybe she didn't go about things the way we think she should have but then again we don't live her life. Children without media attention continue to get abused while people stand by and see it and do nothing every day.

I was mortified watching the video. I tried to show my husband later that evening and he asked me to turn it off. He couldn't watch.

OK, when I first read "hot saucing," I figured it was a parent taking a drop or two of hot sauce on their finger and putting it on the child's tongue. I had that done, lots of kids I know had that done. That's not worthy of prosecution, IMHO.

However, in the video... this woman was *pouring* it into a 3 or 4 yo's mouth? Did I see that right? And telling him to swish it around? That's something completely different than what I thought. That's just wrong.

I'll probably be completely chewed out for saying this but it seems like prosecuting this woman is only going to keep more kids in situations like this. Parents who need help are going to be afraid to ask for it for fear of being prosecuted.

Prosecution isn't going to change her mind about anything. She already recognized that her parenting was ineffectual and she needed help.

Please note that I would not be saying this if it were a clear case of child abuse. This just seems very borderline to me. It's obviously harsh and crappy parenting but I'm not convinced it's in the same category as hitting, starving, sexual abuse, etc.

OK, when I first read "hot saucing," I figured it was a parent taking a drop or two of hot sauce on their finger and putting it on the child's tongue. I had that done, lots of kids I know had that done. That's not worthy of prosecution, IMHO.

However, in the video... this woman was *pouring* it into a 3 or 4 yo's mouth? Did I see that right? And telling him to swish it around? That's something completely different than what I thought. That's just wrong.

Older than that he wasn't adopted until five years old. I got sauced too! If my lies would burn her ears she would burn my tongue and if dirty words came out of my mouth then it needed cleaned with soap. She never poured tons in my mouth but maybe she was at wits end? She needed help and now others who need help will not step forward.

I'll probably be completely chewed out for saying this but it seems like prosecuting this woman is only going to keep more kids in situations like this. Parents who need help are going to be afraid to ask for it for fear of being prosecuted.

Prosecution isn't going to change her mind about anything. She already recognized that her parenting was ineffectual and she needed help.

Please note that I would not be saying this if it were a clear case of child abuse. This just seems very borderline to me. It's obviously harsh and crappy parenting but I'm not convinced it's in the same category as hitting, starving, sexual abuse, etc.

:iagree:Too much actual abuse goes on and on before anything happens.

I believe she is married to a police officer...

Get the truck out. :001_huh:

This is crap. The only reason anything at all was done was because she went air-born with it. Otherwise nothing would have happened. Child services had a video of my neice getting punched in a dirty pool by her mom A video....Nothing was ever done. I should have utubed it and no I didn't take it and after it all came back that woman wouldn't answer her door to me. There is way worse abusers in this world that get away with it because everyone is so busy. I think it is a really crappy world that the only time anyone pays attention is when there is media and compared to what I have seen that child was not abused.

I knew military dads who had their kids shower in cold water for bad behavior and never did I hear that was wrong. So many people put soap in their kids mouths including my mother and I was not abused. Maybe she didn't go about things the way we think she should have but then again we don't live her life. Children without media attention continue to get abused while people stand by and see it and do nothing every day.

Well, I think the tipping point of this situation was that is went *national* (and International), and the cops were faced with, "do we ignore this? can we ignore this? do we draw the line? Make an example?"

Although I don't think she needed jail time, I DO think that like an addict, or alcoholic, there is a reckoning day. It seems like that was her day, she got the help she needed and the cops got a poster child of how not to raise your children and most definitely what is NOT allowable in an adoptive situation.

I'd like to know if Daddy Cop took the classes, too. :glare:

Get the truck out. :001_huh:

Well, I think the tipping point of this situation was that is went *national* (and International), and the cops were faced with, "do we ignore this? can we ignore this? do we draw the line? Make an example?"

Although I don't think she needed jail time, I DO think that like an addict, or alcoholic, there is a reckoning day. It seems like that was her day, she got the help she needed and the cops got a poster child of how not to raise your children and most definitely what is NOT allowable in an adoptive situation.

I'd like to know if Daddy Cop took the classes, too. :glare:

Why should that matter? I mean everyone harps on that I don't get it. My dad is my step dad I don't say step dad. He is my dad. My sisters are adopted by my mom I have never thought of anything other than my sister and our parents have never distinguished between us as such. I don't even think my sisters realized things like this until they were old. I just don't understand why that is important adopted or not.

The thing is, when a legal case is being decided, you're not allowed to compare the case under discussion to all the other possible incidents out there that haven't been prosecuted, or that have resulted in an acquittal. You're only allowed to consider the merits of the specific case in front of you and the specific laws that apply.

This wasn't a referendum about whether hot saucing is worse than other things that can be done to a child. It was a narrow question about whether a particular person broke the child abuse laws in her state. Period.

Why should that matter? I mean everyone harps on that I don't get it. My dad is my step dad I don't say step dad. He is my dad. My sisters are adopted by my mom I have never thought of anything other than my sister and our parents have never distinguished between us as such. I don't even think my sisters realized things like this until they were old. I just don't understand why that is important adopted or not.

Well, it SHOULDN'T matter, because in this situation, it was probably happening to their bio kids, too. But it goes back to those other people who were just hauled off to jail for killing their adopted daughter by beating her to death. You're talking about a perfect situation-these kids don't have that.

You are also a mixed marriage child? Meaning, two divorcees got married and adopted eachother's kids? So your bio parent is there. These children don't have that. And, you're American? These kids are not. They can have RAD issues-you never did?

There are differences aplenty, but yes, I understand what you are trying to say-in a perfect situation it wouldn't matter. Unfortunately, perfection is hard to come by.

I agree. Hearing about it wasn't as big a deal for me. But when I watched the video, I was crying and so upset for that child. It was abuse in my opinion. Clear abuse.

Ugh, I went and watched it. :crying: This is what I was talking about a parent becoming so hardened to their child that they *hear* these cries and tune it out. And every time the punishment gets kicked up, the parent's heart gets harder to the pleas. How she stood there and held that little boy's mouth shut - I have no words.

The video was horrific. My mom used hot sauce(and soap) on me a couple of times, but it was NOTHING like that video portrayed.

I probably won't use hot sauce or soap, but the difference between a lick of soap or a drop of hot sauce and what that mom was doing is huge in my mind.

So would soap in the mouth have been considered child abuse? I've never done it, we're nowhere near swearing age, but I know people historically did it. She claimed that she did the hot sauce in place of that.

I do not know if it is considered abuse, but putting noxious substances in a foster's child mouth is prohibited in my state.

I found this statement in the article interesting:

The verdict was a just one, said prosecutor Cynthia Franklin.

"(The jury) followed the law and they concluded that it is child abuse to hurt your child as an audition for a television show."

Someone asked why it mattered that the boys were adopted. To me it matters...it matters a whole lot. It's just so sad because they deserved to be placed with a loving family who would take care of them. They already had enough bad things happen in their life. Now they got sent to a new country & placed with a new mom (and dad) who would punish like that. :confused: So sad. :crying:

"(The jury) followed the law and they concluded that it is child abuse to hurt your child as an audition for a television show."

Someone asked why it mattered that the boys were adopted. To me it matters...it matters a whole lot. It's just so sad because they deserved to be placed with a loving family who would take care of them. They already had enough bad things happen in their life. Now they got sent to a new country & placed with a new mom (and dad) who would punish like that. :confused: So sad. :crying:

It is sad. I did watch the show when it first aired and I found it horrible. I think she wanted help and she got help. A prosecution of child abuse was just over the top IMO.

It seems her asking for help on tv is what led to her downfall. Did she know she could get help elsewhere? Was it money? Could she afford to get help elsewhere? I hate to think that others may want to reach out and ask for help and now are afraid. That said - the video was horrible and I can't imagine doing that to my kids or having it done to me.

One misdemeanor count of child abuse is not likely to get her jail time...likely community service, perhaps a fine and subject her to ongoing CPS oversight, which she already has and clearly needs. It was not just about the hot sauce, it was the way she punished, the tv thing and the cold showers like that. Seriously, I think a misdemeanor conviction is more than just in this case and I hope this has served as her final wake up call to be a better parent.

The fact that a jury did not convict someone else of a crime they are believe to have committed (Anthony), has zero bearing on another court case for a different crime in a different state. I am glad the state did what was right here. Too often nothing happens till too late. Children deserve protection.

The bolded is a really good point I hadn't considered.

It's just to say that I find the reactions to be a bit over the top especially when such a large percentage of parents choose these types of punishments and it's been so okay'd generally.

They do? :001_huh:

It has? :001_huh:

I must live in a very different world. I don't know anyone who would burn a child's mouth (hot sauce burns - that's the whole point of the stuff) and force him into a freezing cold shower.

:(