Menu

Please add this subject to your homeschool - basic military knowledge

Less than 1% of the population now serves in the US military. "It ain't like it used to be" when everyone either serves, was married to someone who served, or was good friends or a family member of someone who served.

Please consider teaching your children the bare bones basics of military information. Such as:

- the different services

- our general term of reference (the difference between the terms soldier, airman, sailor, Marine, etc.)

- enlisted v officer (what's the difference)

- the different ranks (in general ... I'll never even get the Navy's enlisted ranks right!)

- the BASIC mission

- what a military uniform looks like so you can tell what service someone is in

I'm a major in the Air Force reserve - a public affairs officer. I just flew back in from a day and a half in the DC area on a quick reserve trip. JUST TODAY at BWI airport I had the following interactions:

- Two different people asked if I was a pilot. One was a ticket agent for the airline! SHE doesn't know what the uniform looks like?:confused:

- There was a navy guy sitting near me in an airport restaurant. He was just coming home from nuke school (submarines). The bartender asked if I was a submariner, too. My uniform (I was in blues) was completely different than his (he was in khakis). I joked that my ordinance goes in the air, not in the water.

- "Hey, a soldier ..." Uh, nope. NOT a soldier, a Marine, or a sailor. I'm an airman.

I've had TONS of other experiences like this. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean this in a snotty way at all. I don't blame people for not knowing. I always take it as a good-hearted opportunity to educate people on the US military.

That being said, as a member of the armed forces, it really means the world to us when you can show you know at least a little bit about what we do. We serve and protect you ... proudly, honorably, and with a full heart. We don't need accolades and tons of attention, but when a stranger comes up and says, "Thanks for serving, major," (knowing my rank, etc) that's really neat and it means a lot. I always respond with, "It's my honor," because it really is.

Just wanted to throw that out there in the ether. Thanks for letting me get that off my slightly decorated chest! LOL

Maybe it's a relative thing.

My SIL, BIL, and brother are all active duty, my husband and FIL are vets. I just IM'd them all, and they could care less. My husband laughed and asked what your MOS was. My BIL seemed most sympathetic to your case, and interestingly enough he is also a PA officer.

I think it's like my job. I have colleagues who don't like to be referred to as 'stewardess' because (like you, I'm guessing?) they take pride in their job and appreciate appropriate -correct- recognition. Me, I don't care what you call me as long as it's not an expletive LOL. Any nice recognition is good recognition in my book :)

I've had people in first class give up their seats for soldiers, or buying a group of soldiers in coach a round of drinks ... without knowing what branch, unit, or rank. The soldiers never mind! Airmen, either FWIW :D. I think the recognition should be enough, and the rest is a bit nitpicky. Maybe I've just picked up on my husband's attitude, though, and honestly he hates being recognized for his uniform and his job. He came back after several tours, more emotionally broken every time and physically broken the last time. He's proud of himself, proud of his job, and proud to have served ... but he doesn't want attention for his service, and wouldn't correct ("educate") someone who was kind enough to approach and thank him for it. He knew what he was signing up for, and he did his job. He doesn't think his job was any more special or relevant than anyone else's, even with the sacrifices we've all had to make and the permanent changes it's made to his body, career, and life.

My kids do know the differences, but they've had significant exposure and have some interest. Most of my kids' friends could care less about the specifics, but get mildly excited to personally spot "a soldier" (any person in military dress). Beyond that, it's just not relevant to their everyday life. That's okay, IMO.

I have my kids read Medal of Honor citations on famous anniversaries; Pearl harbor, Normandy etc. Not only do they learn about the military, but they glean lessons in courage, sacrifice and patriotism.

http://www.cmohs.org/

Any day works, it need not be the anniversary of a battle, for instance today is the birthday of William Thompson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Thompson_(Medal_of_Honor,_1950)

Edited by pqr

Less than 1% of the population now serves in the US military. "It ain't like it used to be" when everyone either serves, was married to someone who served, or was good friends or a family member of someone who served.

Please consider teaching your children the bare bones basics of military information. Such as:

- the different services

- our general term of reference (the difference between the terms soldier, airman, sailor, Marine, etc.)

- the different ranks (in general ... I'll never even get the Navy's enlisted ranks right!)

- the BASIC mission

I'm a major in the Air Force reserve - a public affairs officer. I just flew back in from a day and a half in the DC area on a quick reserve trip. JUST TODAY at BWI airport I had the following interactions:

- Two different people asked if I was a pilot. One was a ticket agent for the airline! SHE doesn't know what the uniform looks like?:confused:

- There was a navy guy sitting near me in an airport restaurant. He was just coming home from nuke school (submarines). The bartender asked if I was a submariner, too. My uniform (I was in blues) was completely different than his (he was in khakis). I joked that my ordinance goes in the air, not in the water.

- "Hey, a soldier ..." Uh, nope. NOT a soldier, a Marine, or a sailor. I'm an airman.

I've had TONS of other experiences like this. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean this in a snotty way at all. I don't blame people for not knowing. I always take it as a good-hearted opportunity to educate people on the US military.

That being said, as a member of the armed forces, it really means the world to us when you can show you know at least a little bit about what we do. We serve and protect you ... proudly, honorably, and with a full heart. We don't need accolades and tons of attention, but when a stranger comes up and says, "Thanks for s

erving, major," (knowing my rank, etc) that's really neat and it means a lot. I always respond with, "It's my honor," because it really is.

Just wanted to throw that out there in the ether. Thanks for letting me get that off my slightly decorated chest! LOL

If I don't are you going to critique me?

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, my husband and I are both a veterans so I sort of get it, but that list is a little ambitious for basic civilian knowledge.

Edited to ask if the Air Force still has those critique forms or am I dating myself? I wasn't AF, but went to school on one of their bases.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Hm, maybe we should put together a unit study? We are both in NC.

Mrs. Mungo, if you create it, I will buy it! My boys would love it and this would be a wonderful addition to US history and civics. They know some of it because they've always been fascinated with the military and try to self-study, but a properly organized survey would be the ticket.

I'm serious. You two put your heads together, whip it up, (it could just be PDF's, simple with online websites for the visuals so you don't have to create graphics), and tell me how much. I would happily be your first customer.

Faith

Why do they need to know that stuff? I don't get it. So what if they don't know the different uniforms. I guess I'm missing the point here.

As long as they know what a military is for, well that's good enough for me. Perhaps it's because I'm not from the US, perhaps it's a US thing.

One day Nancy Grace was interviewing a Major General. She kept calling him "Major," he finally interrupted and said, "you can call me General or you can call me sir." That is when I realized that civilians should have *some* basic knowledge.

I don't know who Nancy Grace is, but I would have thought that any interviewer should know who they are interviewing, regardless of the interviewee's job. It sounds like lack of proper research before the interview, rather than a reason for every civilian to be educated.

Why do they need to know that stuff? I don't get it. So what if they don't know the different uniforms. I guess I'm missing the point here.

As long as they know what a military is for, well that's good enough for me. Perhaps it's because I'm not from the US, perhaps it's a US thing.

It is basic respect for those who put their lives on the line for us every day. Not to be able to recognize the uniform of someone who is serving my nation and willing to die if need be would be an anathema to me.

Sorry, my husband and I are both a veterans so I sort of get it, but that list is a little ambitious for basic civilian knowledge.

:iagree: Most active duty "soldiers" haven't a clue about Navy or Air Force rank insignia. And vice versa.

One day Nancy Grace was interviewing a Major General. She kept calling him "Major," he finally interrupted and said, "you can call me General or you can call me sir." That is when I realized that civilians should have *some* basic knowledge.

Anyone doing an interview should do some basic research on their subject, like the correct form of address. Especially someone who considers herself a professional.

I definitely agree people should know the different branches, but I think a young child with no personal connection to the military probably won't know the various ramks or ID uniforms on sight. That seems a bit much. In my opinion, this sort of ignorance is rampant in our society and not limited to the military, so I would have to say, it's a global problem. (NBC nightly news opened yet again with something about the crisis in "Africa" by which they meant the famine in Somalia. Same characterization when there were riots in one city in Liberia. And that's a news channel, not just a single fool.)

I'm in the group with that says create us a unit study. My sons would love to study something like this. We have family members that have represented several different military branches and this would provide a grand opportunity to talk to them about it.

- the different services

- the BASIC mission

In response to some who posted that this is a bit much or nitpicky - I'm not really sure, but I do know I feel ashamed that I don't know the FIRST thing about the various military branches. The person who called the Major General "Major" - I'd probably have done the same thing. I have no idea what a Major even is! I feel ignorant, but I'm not sure it's my fault as I've never known anyone in the military or had a connection and certainly never learned it in school. I couldn't even tell you what ranks mean or which is higher than another. I do think it is important to know some of the basic facts, and not just out of respect for our armed forces. More like it is basic information about our government.

Also - to all our military out there - THANK YOU!!! I think I speak for those of us that don't have a clue about the uniforms - we appreciate all you do just the same.

That would be an excellent idea.

:iagree:

I learned about the Army from watching MASH 3 times per day.

I think a unit study would be a good idea. I would also includes how the reserves actually works. I know the bare minimum there as well.

In the past we've spent time educating ds on firefighters, police officers, and other service careers, why not the military?

This site is a good start for learning about the military.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/index.asp

If you want to see uniforms just type in US Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine uniforms in Google and sites selling them will pop up. I don't know about now, but in the past the officers had to pay for their own uniforms. Don't know about enlisted.

I do not think being able to recognize the diffence branches of service, (ESP. When they are in dress uniform), is overly ambitious.

Then again, we come from a family where we have active and retired members from every branch except Marine. Mistaking an Air Force man for a Navy man is like lighting the fuse on a stick of dynomite! :tongue_smilie:

The year DBIL announced his intention to go from full time N. Guard to regular Army........ Whoa Nelly! Thanksgiving dinner was, um, a little lively that year. :lol:

- the different services

- the BASIC mission

That being said, as a member of the armed forces, it really means the world to us when you can show you know at least a little bit about what we do. We serve and protect you ... proudly, honorably, and with a full heart. We don't need accolades and tons of attention, but when a stranger comes up and says, "Thanks for serving, major," (knowing my rank, etc) that's really neat and it means a lot. I always respond with, "It's my honor," because it really is.

:thumbup:

(Although - since my DH is a Naval Officer, I have a much harder time keeping the Air Force/Marines/Army ranks straight!)

I will say that it is understandably hard for civilians to keep up with the uniforms. Several people asked me what branch DH served in when the Navy switched to the blue digital cammies a few years ago. :)

I've actually been surprised by how many people have never heard of the Naval Academy and/or West Point.

See, now you've gone and insulted the Coast Guard !!!!! Now the COAST GUARD will critique you. (Again, do they still have this option in the AF. If they do, it's still funny.)

Since I'm bored, and most of the people taking the heat are military and can take it, I'm going to review the original list and object line-by-line.

- the different services

OK, not unreasonable, but people will stop after naming four and the USCG will be sad.

Zoomie, Jarhead, Grunt, Squid . . . HOW general should we be? :lol:

Ok, that one is easy as a concept.

They have a special place for learning this. It's called Basic Training. Unless you've been through it, knowing all this is going above and beyond.

- the BASIC mission

I'll give you that one.

NEVER gonna happen. Unreasonable request because every service has several uniforms and sometimes they mix and match. The best you can hope is that they can find a visual cue on the uniform that allows them to puzzle out the branch.

Fun thread :001_smile:

KFP - 98C1LF8AP

There's no easy way to say this, so I'll just say it. Teaching our son such detailed information about the military branches would seem to imply a certain level of support or encouragement for ds to serve--and I'm not cool with that.

As the granddaughter of a CIA agent (he's deceased now), cousin of a West Point graduate and Iraq veteran, cousin of an Army (Iraq) vet, and SIL to another Army (Iraq) vet, and finally as someone who took ROTC in high school for a year, I can say with no hesitation that I do not want my ds to serve in any of the US branches.

It's not because of the people, themselves, who serve; for the most part, they are honorable and deserve respect. But, I don't support the political-military-industrial complex that cooks up these "liberation wars" for the purpose of protecting the flow of resources from other nations into our corporate coffers.

I'm sick of war. I'll not have my ds made into cannon fodder for some politician's economic agenda. So no, there won't be any special military unit in our hs program; he'll just be getting the full account of our country's military history.

See, now you've gone and insulted the Coast Guard !!!!! Now the COAST GUARD will critique you. (Again, do they still have this option in the AF. If they do, it's still funny.)

Since I'm bored, and most of the people taking the heat are military and can take it, I'm going to review the original list and object line-by-line.

- the different services

OK, not unreasonable, but people will stop after naming four and the USCG will be sad.

Zoomie, Jarhead, Grunt, Squid . . . HOW general should we be? :lol:

Ok, that one is easy as a concept.

They have a special place for learning this. It's called Basic Training. Unless you've been through it, knowing all this is going above and beyond.

- the BASIC mission

I'll give you that one.

NEVER gonna happen. Unreasonable request because every service has several uniforms and sometimes they mix and match. The best you can hope is that they can find a visual cue on the uniform that allows them to puzzle out the branch.

Fun thread :001_smile:

KFP - 98C1LF8AP

It is interesting to note that there are 5 Armed Services, with 4 being under the Dept of Defense and 1 being under the Dept of Homeland Security. I know that the Coast Guard can sometimes be transferred to the Dept of the Navy, especially during war. But it is currently still under the Dept of Homeland Security, right? Sorry, I'm not around as many Coasties anymore at our current station to keep up with such things. :)

No member of my family serves. However, my son has known all this stuff from a young age (5-7?). We vacationed in VA Beach a few times and visited various military installations and museums while there. He always corrects me when I identify a uniform or rank incorrectly. He can also identify every military weapon, land, sea, and air vehicle and has been able to do this for years. We are now looking at ROTC for college. Perhaps he needs to create a unit study for his mom.

Mrs. Mungo, if you create it, I will buy it! My boys would love it and this would be a wonderful addition to US history and civics. They know some of it because they've always been fascinated with the military and try to self-study, but a properly organized survey would be the ticket.

I'm serious. You two put your heads together, whip it up, (it could just be PDF's, simple with online websites for the visuals so you don't have to create graphics), and tell me how much. I would happily be your first customer.

Faith

:iagree: Me too! My girls would love this. One of our friends came over Monday (our first day of school) to lead a "boot camp". She was in the Navy; we heard stories from her boot camp and she show us how to fold clothes and make a bed properly. She's coming back tomorrow to show us how to keep our stuff orderly. This would be a great segue-way.

Rene

- the different services

- the BASIC mission

I think you have an excellent point. I saw this on Amazon -- Military Family Alphabet Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-Millitary-Family-Alphabet-Books/dp/1585362921/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313580878&sr=1-8

I have no military connection, but as a kid I had a book called Soldiers, Sailors, Fliers, and Marines (published in 1943!!!). I learned a lot from the book and just ordered a copy from abebooks -- for nostalgia, obviously, not current info.

BTW, what is BASIC?

In response to some who posted that this is a bit much or nitpicky - I'm not really sure, but I do know I feel ashamed that I don't know the FIRST thing about the various military branches. The person who called the Major General "Major" - I'd probably have done the same thing. I have no idea what a Major even is! I feel ignorant, but I'm not sure it's my fault as I've never known anyone in the military or had a connection and certainly never learned it in school. I couldn't even tell you what ranks mean or which is higher than another. I do think it is important to know some of the basic facts, and not just out of respect for our armed forces. More like it is basic information about our government.

Also - to all our military out there - THANK YOU!!! I think I speak for those of us that don't have a clue about the uniforms - we appreciate all you do just the same.

:iagree:

So... as long as they know that you have a Sovereign, it isn't necessary to make the distinction between who is in charge - the Queen or the Governor General?

Yes, that is a straw man.

One of the central tenets of the United States of America is the 2nd amendment to her Constitution:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

People emigrate from all over the world for a chance to live under the US Constitution, and it is the members of the US Military who are charged with defending it. eg: making sure no one overthrows the government that maintains it.

It may seem a trifle to many -- "how does one recognize a person in the Military and why does it matter" -- but it actually sits at the very core of what makes the USA, the USA.

(and no, I don't believe we should be tromping all over the world trying to impose our belief structure on others -- a good read on that is Clash of Civilizations by Huntington -- but if someone wants to join the military, they will just up and go and tell you later. Whether or not you teach them about uniforms ahead of time.)

a

LOL!

Sorry, I'm not ever going to come up to you and name your rank. You folks in the Air Force confuse the bleep out of me!!!!!

Kris,

Proud Navy Chief's Wife

Actually, the officer ranks are the same for the Army, Marines and Air Force. Enlisted are another story - all different!!

Mary (retired reserve AF officer, married to retired AF officer, daughter of retired Army officer)

There's no easy way to say this, so I'll just say it. Teaching our son such detailed information about the military branches would seem to imply a certain level of support or encouragement for ds to serve--and I'm not cool with that.

As the granddaughter of a CIA agent (he's deceased now), cousin of a West Point graduate and Iraq veteran, cousin of an Army (Iraq) vet, and SIL to another Army (Iraq) vet, and finally as someone who took ROTC in high school for a year, I can say with no hesitation that I do not want my ds to serve in any of the US branches.

It's not because of the people, themselves, who serve; for the most part, they are honorable and deserve respect. But, I don't support the political-military-industrial complex that cooks up these "liberation wars" for the purpose of protecting the flow of resources from other nations into our corporate coffers.

I'm sick of war. I'll not have my ds made into cannon fodder for some politician's economic agenda. So no, there won't be any special military unit in our hs program; he'll just be getting the full account of our country's military history.

I just have to say it....I don't think teaching your child about the military will necessary imply your support. You can always explain your position which will be a learning experience on its own. I didn't vote for and strongly disagree with Obama on nearly every issue but I will still teach my children who he is and what he does as president. I will also explain my beliefs about Obama and how we all still must respect him as president even if we disagree. Imo, giving my daughter the facts along with my personal beliefs will only set her up to be able to make her own throughout life. Shouldn't that be the goal?

Count me in for wanting a unit study :). I did JROTC in high school as an elective (and so I could do drill team :) ), so I'm fairly familiar with Army terminology and ranks, and can recognize the dress uniforms (I think) for the services, but not much beyond that.

I had an uncle who was a WW2 pilot and a grandfather who served in the Spanish-American War.

But I don't want my DC to go into the military. It's not the people IN the military that bother me. It's the politicians running it that freak the pants off me.

I would be disappointed if my children considered a career in the miltary though.

But I will make sure to cover the branches of the miltary and actually, my kids do know quite a lot about the Coast Guard since we lived on a bay where they did rescue training right outside our window.

Hm, maybe we should put together a unit study? We are both in NC.

That's a great idea, but since I've got three winter's of curriculum in the pipeline, you're on your own! Thankfully, business is great. That means I'm SWAMPED!

Great idea, though.

When I taught school (7th grade public here in Wake County) I did a day where I wore my uniforms and brought in a class set of Airman Magazine's THE BOOK. It's a yearly publication that covers everything about the Air Force: Mission, AFSCs (jobs), rank, ordinance, planes, rockets, etc.

I went over the whole thing with my kids. They loved it!

Oh, and to be technical ... there are SEVEN branches of "uniformed service" in the US:

Air Force - Dept of Defense

Army - Dept of Defense

Navy - Dept of Defense

Marines - Dept of the Navy (sub set)

Coast Guard - used to be under Dept of Transportation in peacetime, DoD during War. That changed to Dept of Homeland Security in peacetime, DoD in wartime under direction of the President

U.S. Public Health Service

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps