Menu

How would you have handled this?

Your son is playing in the yard. He comes in the house and says a teenage girl is sick on the front lawn and needs to use your phone to call her parents.

What do you do?

Give your son the phone to take to the girl?

Go see what is going on with the girl yourself?

Other?

I don't want to lead the witnesses (ha-ha). I'll post what happened after a few responses.

UPDATE if you're curious in post #18.

Edited by unsinkable

I would have him show me where she was and then tell him to stay inside and I would deal with the girl/help her call for help. No knowing what is going on with her, or if she is really actually sick, it could be a ruse kwim. So as the adult I would deal with it and tell him to stay inside with the rest of the kids.

OK -- my DD was the sick girl. She is fine. I think she had a small seizure based on what happened.*

She was walking the dog and started to feel badly (seizure aura?). She saw the boy and said she wasn't feeling good. She asked if he had a phone she could use to call us. He said he had to ask his mom but then brought the phone out to her.

She called us. I drove over and got her. As I pulled up, she was sitting on the lawn, slumped over, holding her head in her hands. She was all alone. I got out and helped her to the car. There were 3 cars in the driveway of the house. I wanted to get her home so I just put her in the car and left. As I was pulling away, DD said, "there's the boy." He was standing in the door so I waved and yelled out thank you.

I got her home. *She said she was exhausted. I put her to bed and she woke up a few hours later with a headache. This is why I think she had a seizure because this is what usually happens after she has one. So even tho' I didn't see the seizure, I think it happened.

OK -- my DD was the sick girl. She is fine. I think she had a small seizure based on what happened.*

She was walking the dog and started to feel badly (seizure aura?). She saw the boy and said she wasn't feeling good. She asked if he had a phone she could use to call us. He said he had to ask his mom but then brought the phone out to her.

She called us. I drove over and got her. As I pulled up, she was sitting on the lawn, slumped over, holding her head in her hands. She was all alone. I got out and helped her to the car. There were 3 cars in the driveway of the house. I wanted to get her home so I just put her in the car and left. As I was pulling away, DD said, "there's the boy." He was standing in the door so I waved and yelled out thank you.

I got her home. *She said she was exhausted. I put her to bed and she woke up a few hours later with a headache. This is why I think she had a seizure because this is what usually happens after she has one. So even tho' I didn't see the seizure, I think it happened.

Oh, poor kid :( I'm pretty suspicious too, but in broad daylight, I'd leave my son in the house and go out and see what was going on. I can't believe the mom just let her son come back out alone with the phone with no concern for your daughter or for HIM!

I am happy DD is OK.

I am so grateful the boy gave her the phone and she was able to call me.

My heart was in my throat when I pulled up and saw her all alone. It just scared me and made me so sad that she was sick and alone. The dog was curled up next to her, though. I'm glad she had him, too.

:grouphug:

Oh, poor kid :( I'm pretty suspicious too, but in broad daylight, I'd leave my son in the house and go out and see what was going on. I can't believe the mom just let her son come back out alone with the phone with no concern for your daughter or for HIM!

You never know, Mom could've been in the shower.

Unsinkable, you answered before I had a chance to say what I would have done, but let me assure you that had your daughter been in my yard I would have been outside immediately with the phone to help her and I would not have left her alone out there until you arrived. I hate to think of her sitting out there alone!

It's sad to me that caution overshadows compassion sometimes. :(

I would definitely go see what was happening myself, leaving the child inside until I figured out what was going on. I'd take the phone with me so that I could a) help her call for help, b) call 911 and/or c) so that the phone wouldn't get stolen if it was a scam.

Just read the update. If she'd been in my yard, I'd likely have called you myself and sat with her until you arrived. I wonder if the boy's mom wasn't really home. Even with the cars in the drive, she could have walked or ridden a bike somewhere, or maybe she didn't realize what was happening. I can't imagine leaving a sick stranger sitting alone.

:grouphug: I'm sorry that happened.

Cat

:grouphug:

You never know, Mom could've been in the shower.

As in, he didn't get a chance to ask her, just came out with the phone? Good point, and I can totally see that. I was assuming that he found her and asked her, wherever she was.

If you meant that maybe she didn't come out when he asked he because she happened to be in the shower, personally, nothing gets me out the shower faster than the safety of a child--my own or someone else's--so I would still have a problem with that. Not that how I feel about it matters, of course! But if I were the mom in question and my son brought the situation to my attention, I'd be out there no matter what I was doing. At a bare minimum, from a practical perspective, if some poor child collapses on your front lawn, there's a liability issue.

There is a chance no one else in this boy's family knew she was out there.

I am assuming since he told DD that he had to ask his mom if DD could use the phone, he really did ask his mom.

Yeah BUT even if he asked, did he say, "OMG there's a sick chick laying on our curb asking for the phone to call her mom!"

Or did he come in and say, "Can I use the phone?"

Young boys can be crazy unconcerned about what moms view with obvious conern. :)

I would have ran out phone in hand predialed for 911 just in case.

But many people are scared of sick people ime.

They think drugs, mental illness, or criminals before they think it might just be an average normal person having a crappy day. :(

Yeah BUT even if he asked, did he say, "OMG there's a sick chick laying on our curb asking for the phone to call her mom!"

Or did he come in and say, "Can I use the phone?"

Young boys can be crazy unconcerned about what moms view with obvious conern. :)

I would have ran out phone in hand predialed for 911 just in case.

But many people are scared of sick people ime.

They think drugs, mental illness, or criminals before they think it might just be an average normal person having a crappy day. :(

Right. There are so many variables to what could have been happening in their home. I am grateful the boy did enough to allow me to get DD home safely.

Wow, hope she's okay now.

I would have walked out to the girl, checked on her/spoke with her, let her use my cell phone (we don't have a landline/portable phone), and then if I knew someone was coming to get her, I'd have stayed with her, sitting on the front steps/porch, whatever, offered her a glass of water, etc.

Send kiddos into the house (and have them lock the door, because I'm a little paranoid like that) and then head out to her with my phone in pocket. I would offer to make the call... I really don't like the idea of sharing a mouthpiece with someone that's sick :p

:iagree: Glad I am not the first one to say this. This is exactly what I would do! Maybe put phone on speaker if parents wanted to speak to her. Would not have thought about phone being ran off with... good point!

Oh dear! I hope that maybe he was home alone (in spite of the cars) or didn't actually ask because I'd hate to think a grown up didn't respond to a child in need.

My younger son came home once before he had a cell phone and got mine so that a girl he vaguely knew could use it to call her mom. Her bus dropped her off in our neighborhood, near our home. She used to live here, but they had moved and the the only person she really knew was not home when she knocked. Her cell phone was dead and apparently the bus had experienced some trouble and dropped the kids off late or something (still not sure why the mom wasn't there). Anyway, sorry for the garble, but he found her sitting on the curb of the main boulevard crying. She couldn't call her parents. So he got a phone for her and then sat with her until her mom came. I was kept well apprised of what was occurring and she could have come in my house if it had been cold, dark, rainy, or if she had been sick, certainly.... I would expect any middle school aged child to be able to make such judgment calls on their own. I wonder if this child was younger? or afraid of the dog, perhaps?

There is a chance no one else in this boy's family knew she was out there.

I am assuming since he told DD that he had to ask his mom if DD could use the phone, he really did ask his mom.

I wonder how he asked his mom... Ah kids. I can remember asking my mom stuff while she was taking a nap :p it was a sure fire way to get a 'yes.'

I would definitely go see what was happening myself, leaving the child inside until I figured out what was going on. I'd take the phone with me so that I could a) help her call for help, b) call 911 and/or c) so that the phone wouldn't get stolen if it was a scam.

Just read the update. If she'd been in my yard, I'd likely have called you myself and sat with her until you arrived. I wonder if the boy's mom wasn't really home. Even with the cars in the drive, she could have walked or ridden a bike somewhere, or maybe she didn't realize what was happening. I can't imagine leaving a sick stranger sitting alone.

:grouphug: I'm sorry that happened.

Cat

Good point. He could've been home alone and following orders (never tell them you're home alone, always pretend an adult is there).

As in, he didn't get a chance to ask her, just came out with the phone? Good point, and I can totally see that. I was assuming that he found her and asked her, wherever she was.

If you meant that maybe she didn't come out when he asked he because she happened to be in the shower, personally, nothing gets me out the shower faster than the safety of a child--my own or someone else's--so I would still have a problem with that. Not that how I feel about it matters, of course! But if I were the mom in question and my son brought the situation to my attention, I'd be out there no matter what I was doing. At a bare minimum, from a practical perspective, if some poor child collapses on your front lawn, there's a liability issue.

:shrug: I don't know what was going on in that house, for all I know she was doing the penguin after a failed waxing attempt :lol: I just think judging the parent or theoretical adult that may or may not have been at home is a little premature, since we don't know anything beyond there was a boy that mentioned his mother.

Your son is playing in the yard. He comes in the house and says a teenage girl is sick on the front lawn and needs to use your phone to call her parents.

What do you do?

Give your son the phone to take to the girl?

Go see what is going on with the girl yourself?

Other?

I don't want to lead the witnesses (ha-ha). I'll post what happened after a few responses.

UPDATE if you're curious in post #18.

Take my cell phone out to see what is going on.

I'd go out there, with the phone, to see if the girl was ok, and how I could help. If I didn't have cell phone for some reason I'd go see how she was, then let her in to use the phone if need be. I'd definitely check on it myself, in this heat she could have heat stroke, or something very serious.

I would have walked the phone out myself.

If I was scared of a dog, I wouldn't send my child out with a phone to give to some random teen child.

However, I could see my son come in and just ask to use the phone w/ saying "why". Since my son never uses the phone then that in itself would arouse suspicicion. If he used it as often as my DD then it wouldn't raise any eyebrows (but she would have came in with a dramatic flourish that someone was dying on our lawn).

I am happy DD is OK.

I am so grateful the boy gave her the phone and she was able to call me.

My heart was in my throat when I pulled up and saw her all alone. It just scared me and made me so sad that she was sick and alone. The dog was curled up next to her, though. I'm glad she had him, too.

To be fair, the boy might not have even mentioned the situation to his mom. He might have just run in, gotten the phone, then brought it out. the adults could be totally oblivious.

Unsinkable, you answered before I had a chance to say what I would have done, but let me assure you that had your daughter been in my yard I would have been outside immediately with the phone to help her and I would not have left her alone out there until you arrived. I hate to think of her sitting out there alone!

You know, it really depends on one's life experience and quite possibly on nothing more than the neighborhood one lives in. Also there are other factors that come into play. What type of "sick" did the op mean? Many thought vomiting since that was the only description the OP made of the illness.

A person alone having a seizure is totally different than some random teenager puking up breakfast in one's yard.

In my case, and I'll admit my reply of what I'd do in that position is cold and not compassionate, I'm a lone unarmed woman with a child in an area that if I were to call for help because the sick teen was a ploy to get me out of the house, there would be no help coming.

Admittedly it is sad that the OP's daughter had no one with her while she was ill. But only working with the details given in post #1, caution overrides compassion for me every time.

How many people would say how stupid or idiotic it was for the OP to go check on the teen if the OP's story was that there was some sick teen girl in the yard and when she went out to see about it she got jumped and her kid kidnapped or raped? Honestly we'd all commiserate and be full of sympathy and prayers but many of us would be wondering what kind of person leaves their child unprotected.

Edited by Parrothead

This is exactly how I would have handled it.

Assuming the adult in the house was not in the shower or unable to come outside for some reason, all I could think after reading your update was, "What is wrong with people these days??"

I'm glad your daughter is okay.:grouphug:

You know, it really depends on one's life experience and quite possibly on nothing more than the neighborhood one lives in. Also there are other factors that come into play. What type of "sick" did the op mean? Many thought vomiting since that was the only description the OP made of the illness.

A person alone having a seizure is totally different than some random teenager puking up breakfast in one's yard.

In my case, and I'll admit my reply of what I'd do in that position is cold and not compassionate, I'm a lone unarmed woman with a child in an area that if I were to call for help because the sick teen was a ploy to get me out of the house, there would be no help coming.

Admittedly it is sad that the OP's daughter had no one with her while she was ill. But only working with the details given in post #1, caution overrides compassion for me every time.

How many people would say how stupid or idiotic it was for the OP to go check on the teen if the OP's story was that there was some sick teen girl in the yard and when she went out to see about it she got jumped and her kid kidnapped or raped? Honestly we'd all commiserate and be full of sympathy and prayers but many of us would be wondering what kind of person leaves their child unprotected.

I didn't qualify my statement-no matter what the circumstances or how valid the reasons, I find it sad.

I can't ever move. The neighbor stories I've heard here make me sick. I can't even imagine not checking on a sick neighbor child out on your lawn. I'd like to think the boy didn't say the child was sick and the mother was being trusting and generous by sending the phone outside with the son.

:iagree: My first thought was vomiting, that's why I said I would call (because I do not want my phone smelling like puke). The reasons you give are also why I would tell my kids to lock the doors. I'm willing to risk my own life and limb, but not theirs.

As far as why the boy went out alone... I still say that there's no evidence some adult was too lazy/careless/cruel to go out. We are to assume the sick teen has everyone's best interest at heart, but not the illusive adult we don't even know exists? Hm.