Menu

Do you believe your name affects who you are?

Does your name determine who you are?  

1. 1. Does your name determine who you are?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Obligatory other (please explain!)

(poll coming)

DH and I have been talking about what we want to name #3. We've had issues because I'll suggest a name and DH will say, "No, every girl I've known named XXXXX and she was stuck up/a "blonde"/etc." I've talked to a few others about this and they all agree that your name affects what type of person you are - if you're a nerd, a cheerleader, ugly/pretty, and so forth.

So now I'm curious...is this something most people believe?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in my case.

My name is Rachel and I have seen a myriad of personalities with that name. Some nice, some not so nice.

I have also known several Jennifer's in my life and again, none of them fit a particular mold.

Perhaps if a name was extremely different like Bambi (oh yea my sisters knew a girl in high school with that name, no it wasn't a nickname) perhaps that might be something, but not really.

I have known people with common names that were weird and people with weird names that were "normal" (by my standards :D). I really think it has to do with upbringing.

I voted no.

Some names reflect certain parental attitudes, and this may create a stereotype, especially since other people view the kid in that certain light.

But I personally do not feel that my name affects me. My parents gave me an old fashioned name, I have never met a kid with the same name, and I did not like my name until I became an adult. I do not think there were any preconceived notions in other people when they heard my name - not enough critical mass of little regentrudes.

It doesn't *determine* who you are, but it can certainly play a part in how other people treat you, how they view you before they know you, what employers think when they see your name on the application, etc.

If you were hiring for a snazzy job and had a choice between, for instance, a Bambi, a Kat, and an Elizabeth, you would probably have some unconscious leanings away from the Bambi & possibly the Kat just from the names. IMO.

I don't remember where I read it, but there was a study I read once that said people with more ethnic names had a more difficult time getting job interviews and being hired than people with more mainstream names. I also know that for my dh's exwife, the reason she wanted to keep his last name was because it was 'white' and not Hispanic like her maiden name. SHe said it made a difference in people's expectations of her as well.

Affects, definitely. Determines, no.

:iagree:

I think it affects how people may interact with you, thus changing who you become. It think of it along with the nurture side of nature vs nurture.

We named our children with this in mind.

DD12 has a long feminine name. To contrast it we gave her a classic gender neutral middle name. I figured that if she went into business, she may choose to go by her middle name instead of her first name. She actually uses her middle name half the time now. At school and church she goes by her middle name as it is easier for people to say and remember. At home and with the kids she grew up with...she goes by her first name.

Ds16's first name was a very uncommon biblical name so we gave him a common man's middle name as contrast. His uncommon name is now very common so it isn't an issue.

I think it plays a bigger role for girls than for boys. I don't know too many successful career women who have "cutesy" or "bimbo" names. I also know several women who have chosen to go by their middle names rather than their first names because they thought it sounded more distinguished.

When naming our girls, we do the "doctor test". As in, if I say the name Dr. _____ [surname], does it sound funny?

I think it plays a bigger role for girls than for boys. I don't know too many successful career women who have "cutesy" or "bimbo" names. I also know several women who have chosen to go by their middle names rather than their first names because they thought it sounded more distinguished.

When naming our girls, we do the "doctor test". As in, if I say the name Dr. _____ [surname], does it sound funny?

Nice idea w/the doctor test. We do the 4/40/80 test--how does the name sounds as a 4-year-old, a 40-year-old, and an 80-year-old? Also, how does it sound on a job application. We also make sure either the first or middle name is more "normal" in case they need it, lol.

The exclamation mark on the poll choice was a little much for me. I don't think the answer is "yes!" but more like "maybe a little." Kids who have popular names have to deal with knowing a million others with the same name. Kids with really strange names have to deal with spelling and explaining it over and over. Kids with celebrity influenced names or pun names or other things like that have to deal with the associations involved. I find it hard to believe that has *no* effect on a child. But will certain names turn you into an airhead or an ugly duckling or whatever - that I'm more skeptical about.

:iagree: We did the doctor, lawyer, president test! Actually for both our kids, because I do know a couple boys right now that have names that sound like they're going to be a carnie or a roadie for a heavy metal band. Names can set the tone to what kind of impression you give people.

To a limited extent, yes. It indicates who your parents were, what their aspirations were for you, and it can impact how people respond to you (at least initially).

In terms of public perception, or in terms of ... not becoming one's name?

They are sure that he was teased to such a degree that the named body part became a large focus of his life. This is the wisdom of my teen boys :D - but at the same time, they are there and would probably be a good source of whether a name would be a good one for a boy or not.

So, from their perspective it would be both in terms of public perception (teasing) and becoming one's name.

My just graduated son has been exposed recently to two men named "Dick" who he said, lived up to their names. This is unfortunate, IMO, because I'm sure there are a lot of really nice "Dicks" in this world (no double entendre intended).

So much of this, though, is dependent on the social "language" of the day, IMO. The names my boys would shudder at in the US are common and acceptable in the UK.

Can you give me some examples of names that would be failures in life?

I am not following I guess.

Are you saying you have to have deeply traditional solid names like Richard or William in order to be taken seriously?

We named our boys according to what we felt had meaning TO US. The names might have NO meaning to others or might be taken completely differently.

Dawn

Yes, to a certain degree I do. Freakonomics discusses this, at least as far as success in life is concerned.

Wasn't his point, though, that the name isn't the determining factor? He says that whatever life situation causes you to be named something is also what causes the outcome, not the name itself. (I could be wrong, I read the book a few years ago, but we just watched the movie a few months ago, and that is what I remember.) He gives the example of Winner and Loser. :D

You gotta share what book it is!

Here is the edition I have, but I see there is a newer edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Name-Survey-Book-Pb/dp/0881663115/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312754989&sr=8-1

I have it in hand..

Want me to look up names for you?

I love looking for baby names!:D

ETA:

Martha (Aramaic) "lady"

Image: Martha is described as an overweight, old-fashioned blond who is strong, solid, likable, and loud.

I will leave it to others' personal discretion as to whether that is accurate for me or not.

I will say my hair used to be a lot blonder. It's darkening as I age. And I'm still blaming my weight on 7 week old baby boy.

Oddly enough, I was named for my mother, who was very nearly a polar opposite of me.

Edited by Martha

Here is the edition I have, but I see there is a newer edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Name-Survey-Book-Pb/dp/0881663115/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312754989&sr=8-1

I have it in hand..

Want me to look up names for you?

I love looking for baby names!:D

Would you mind? :D And can I PM you? I don't publicly post the names of our children and one of them is going to be DD2's name. :)

I think it's harder to be taken seriously as an adult if your name doesn't sound like one. I just don't think Candy Cane is going to do as well as Candace Cane-and when I get a young child with a nickname-type name that sounds adorable at age 4 on their birth certificate, I wonder how that's going to play out as the child gets older. Same with names like Cody for boys.

I also think that there are some names that really encourage kids to live up/down to them, and I'm guessing the reaction of others makes a difference. For example, I've had several kids with names like Angel, Heaven Lee, and Princess who seemed downright scared to do anything that might knock their halo or tiara askew in the minds of anyone. And it's hard to be a normal 4 yr old and learn and grow the way a 4 yr old should when you're trying to be perfect. Conversely, Lucifer and Demonica both seemed to feel like they had nothing to lose. I can't help but think that these kids learned those reactions from those around them, and that it's unlikely the parents had that in mind when they picked the child's name.

(poll coming)

DH and I have been talking about what we want to name #3. We've had issues because I'll suggest a name and DH will say, "No, every girl I've known named XXXXX and she was stuck up/a "blonde"/etc." I've talked to a few others about this and they all agree that your name affects what type of person you are - if you're a nerd, a cheerleader, ugly/pretty, and so forth.

So now I'm curious...is this something most people believe?

Yes. I hate my name. I've still only ever met one other person my own age who was named Audrey. Audrey is a dull, boring old lady's name. Perhaps an old lady with a bit of class, but still dull.

Thankfully, I'm aging into it well.

Yes. I hate my name. I've still only ever met one other person my own age who was named Audrey. Audrey is a dull, boring old lady's name. Perhaps an old lady with a bit of class, but still dull.

Granted I don't know you other than from your posts on here, but just from your siggy (which cracks me up every. time. I. see. it.), I'd bet money that you're anything but dull or boring.

I happen to have owned a baby name book that lists perception of names for years and it is freaky creepy accurate far more often than not.

So I voted yes.

What does it say for Audrey? I'm very, very curious!

It doesn't *determine* who you are, but it can certainly play a part in how other people treat you, how they view you before they know you, what employers think when they see your name on the application, etc.

If you were hiring for a snazzy job and had a choice between, for instance, a Bambi, a Kat, and an Elizabeth, you would probably have some unconscious leanings away from the Bambi & possibly the Kat just from the names. IMO.

I'm not sure how to vote. My name is pretty unusual and I haven't met many other women with it, so whether or not it has affected me in some way is hard to know -- other than usual spelling and pronunciation problems people have with it. I suppose one could say that with an unusual name, but one that is perfectly namey (not something unusual in the sense that the parents could not spell or made something up) there aren't as many preconceived notions about a person.

Oddly enough though, I have one internet friend with the same first name. Our birthdays are within days of each other, we were born in the same state, our middle names begin with the same letter and sound similar, and we look kind of similar too. So maybe there is more to this than one would think?

That's how I feel about Martha.

What does it say for Audrey? I'm very, very curious!

Oh good because the first thing I had to do was look it up!

But when I think of "Audrey" I think of Audrey Hepburn - and she was wonderful both young and old. One of my most favorite actresses.

See. creepy.

Quote from book:

Audrey (old English) "noble strength"

Image: Two very different pictures of Audrey emerge: a petite woman with sophistication, style, self-assurance, and humor, like Audrey Hepburn, or a domineering nag, like Audrey Meadow's character on TV's The Honeymooners

Personally, I picture you as the first image.:)

Yes, to a certain extent.

Here's an old Saturday Night Live skit about this very subject with Nicolas Cage that takes things to the extreme....in a very funny way. :lol:

I love that skit. It completely reminds me of dh and I trying to name our sons. Only our last name isn't that bad at all!:lol:

So, ultimate test--has anyone ever met a NICE, kind, respectful, and intelligent person named Butch? :lurk5:

Yes I have! She was very rough around the edges, so not the picture you are fishing for, but those adjectives fit, yeah. :)

I would never name my child Tracey in case they acquired Lee as a name in some fashion. I've known three, one was born with Lee as a surname. Another had it as a middle name, and the third as her married surname. All three of them have really had a hard row to hoe so I'm all superstitious about it. :o

Rosie

Honestly yes, it does. I think that parents who name their children some nutty name are doing them a disservice.

Previous posters have stated that it doesn't change who you are but does affect how people view you. Yes, that is 100% correct. But how people view you has a powerful effect on who you are. Do they view you with favor, do they think you are a gangmember, do they think you are sweet but dim? All that affects grades, school admission, employment even encounters with the legal system.

Is that fair? No. Is that real? Yes

I have never worked in a position where I had to make employment decisions, and if that did happen I would try very hard to be fair. But if I were skimming a stack of resumes and there was a Tiffany and a Typhannii, well hmmmm. I would hope that I would pick on rational grounds but Typhannii would have to try harder.

(here's hoping no one here has that particular example for their or their dd's names :lol:)

Hooray, "Butch" has been redeemed!! :party:

I liked what I read earlier about the family situation that could conscience a particular name contributing as much as the name itself. That makes sense.

What's the deal with the named Butch anyway? My uncle who is in his early 60s has been nicknamed this since before he was born. What's wrong with it?