Menu

bizarre homeschooling question....

I really thought I had heard every question, but I was wrong...

I was in Papa Murphy's today talking to the manager about doing a homeschool field trip. When she asked what grades, I said that I was teaching K,3, 4 and 8th this year. The worker next to the manager looked at me and asked, " Where will your kids go to school when they are not in those grades?":confused: Before I could say anything the manager said that I teach all grades, duh!!

I am just gobsmacked by the question. So what is the most bizarre comment or question you have gotten?

Guest Dulcimeramy

Last night at a little get-together an elder at our church asked me if I'd had some kind of training to be able to teach the kids at home.

Hours and hours of research, study, prayer, sweat, tears, and trial-and-error over the past 12 years flashed through my mind but I was unable to sum it all up into one good sentence.

So I just said, "Nope. But my instructor guides are really good. Also, Nate's math curriculum comes with a teacher on DVD."

Do you suppose that impressed him?

I am not a good homeschool ambassador. I prefer to just keep a low profile, I guess.

Last night at a little get-together an elder at our church asked me if I'd had some kind of training to be able to teach the kids at home.

Hours and hours of research, study, prayer, sweat, tears, and trial-and-error over the past 12 years flashed through my mind but I was unable to sum it all up into one good sentence.

So I just said, "Nope. But my instructor guides are really good. Also, Nate's math curriculum comes with a teacher on DVD."

Do you suppose that impressed him?

I am not a good homeschool ambassador. I prefer to just keep a low profile, I guess.

I hear ya! I'm not homeschooling yet, which gives me even less credit, but when I try to talk about it to my doubting, but supportive-ish family, I can never articulate the reasons I want to do it very well. I guess I should finish up my argument along the lines of, "so they can learn to articulate their thoughts better than I ever could."

It's funny, but I've had my share of dumb "duh" comments that I couldn't believe that I said.:blushing: You know, "Open mouth, insert foot"?

Me, too!

The questions that seem strange to me, but which are actually really quite common, are, "Are you qualified to do that?" "What sort of lessons do you do with your 3/4 year old?" and "What if you can't teach him to read?"

I was in Papa Murphy's today talking to the manager about doing a homeschool field trip. When she asked what grades, I said that I was teaching K,3, 4 and 8th this year. The worker next to the manager looked at me and asked, " Where will your kids go to school when they are not in those grades?":confused: Before I could say anything the manager said that I teach all grades, duh!!

I am just gobsmacked by the question. So what is the most bizarre comment or question you have gotten?

"Here's your sign!". (thank you Bill Engvall)

I constantly get the comments about not having the patience to homeschool. I've started asking, "Do you ever help their children with their homework?" and they usually say yes. I then tell them I get to do it during the day before both of us are tired, with assignments I've given and with completion expectations that I've created.

:lol: That is hilarious!

I've had people say things like, "Oh I could never spend all day with my children like that." Which makes me scratch my head and then think about crying.

I've had people ask how I could possibly teach children in three different grades, at which time I ask if they've ever watched Little House on the Prairie or I suggest they go ask their grandmother what that might be like.

But the best was when one of my own family members asked what made me think I was qualified to teach my own children. Well, on the surface, I would claim that I'm qualified to teach my own children because I am their mother. However, this person should also have been aware that I held a certificate from the state permitting me to teach other people's children in the areas of: early childhood, elementary K-8, gifted and talented, remedial reading through 12th grade, and I had a special endorsement for middle school math and science. Ummmm...I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to teach my children! LOL

:lol::lol::lol: This is totally hysterical!!!

That's an excellent one. The best I've gotten was "It must be hard for her not being around other kids" ... when the speaker and I were both watching our kids in their crowded athletic club, a large group of teens playing games. I didn't know what to say. "Behold"???

:lol::lol:

I'd never have thought of this at that precise moment, but this is what I'm thinking NOW :tongue_smilie:.........

"They'll go to school where they went LAST year when they were in pre-K, 2nd, 3rd & 7th" :lol:

:lol:

That's an excellent one. The best I've gotten was "It must be hard for her not being around other kids" ... when the speaker and I were both watching our kids in their crowded athletic club, a large group of teens playing games. I didn't know what to say. "Behold"???

Ha!

I had a psychologist tell me that the reason my ds doesn't like to go to the bathroom in public rest rooms because he doesn't go to school.

That person's comment was without any forethought whatsoever. He probably just wanted to say something, but that was all that came out :lol:

As someone newish to homeschooling and this being my second child, I completely understand the "I could never do that" statement. When folks say that, it comes from a place of insecurity. My eldest and publicly schooled daughter is 21. My homeschooled son is 7. We eased into homeschooling very gradually, and I gained confidence when I saw the results and my relationship with my son deepening. I believe that homeschooling is not simply an art, but also a learned skill that can take time to develop. Just as my son gains confidence when he learns new things, so do I :001_smile:

Ha!

I had a psychologist tell me that the reason my ds doesn't like to go to the bathroom in public rest rooms because he doesn't go to school.

One of the biggest gripes from mothers of young children is the phase immediately after potty training when we get to visit every public toilet in the area/state/coast... Because we have successfully avoided them to that point. I honestly do not know a single person who would claim anything short of havin an aversion. And I would be leery of those who liked them. We weren't ALL homeschooled.

Has this psychologist met any people before?

My mom is always saying this. Your kids are with you too much. I bite my tongue to say she wasn't with me enough.:glare:

I recently had a friend ask "Aren't you afraid she will grow too attached to you?" :001_huh::confused::001_huh:

Right. Who would want their child to be attached to mom and dad?

:lol::lol::lol: ROFL!!!!

I constantly get the comments about not having the patience to homeschool. I've started asking, "Do you ever help their children with their homework?" and they usually say yes. I then tell them I get to do it during the day before both of us are tired, with assignments I've given and with completion expectations that I've created.

That's a GREAT answer! I'll have to borrow that one! :001_smile:

I can't remember it excatly. It wasn't directly about homeschooling. But about how I'll take my kids to the library alot since they will have the time because they wouldn't be in school all day.

"What will you do if you boy ends up going postal because he was forced to go the library so much".

:svengo: :smilielol5:

Originally Posted by Sharon in Austin viewpost.gif

This is fabulous. I needed a laugh today and this one hit the spot. :lol:

Dh was explaining to someone recently that for us, one of the benefits of homeschooling is that our highly distractible, ADHD son does not have to be confined to a seat for hours every day. To which this person responded, "If he doesn't learn how to be confined to a seat, how will he ever manage in college?"

The idea that you need to have your backside glued to a chair for hours a day for thirteen years in order to "manage" in college just struck me as funny.

Well, I've written about this one before, but it stands out in my mind so I'll write it again:

A friend whose dh was a p.s. principal, three dd's were in p.s., active in the PTA, totally invested in p.s. in all ways, found out that we were going to be starting to homeschool eldest dd when she was in 2nd grade. She asked me whether I would be checking in with the p.s. to make sure that dd was keeping up with her peers. I said, (point blank, I admit it), "No." She said, in a voice laced with horror, "You're not going to raise IDIOTS, are you?" :glare:

She asked me whether I would be checking in with the p.s. to make sure that dd was keeping up with her peers. I said, (point blank, I admit it), "No." She said, in a voice laced with horror, "You're not going to raise IDIOTS, are you?" :glare:

A friend who basically homeschooled her kindergartener last year because they spent the year traveling asked me if I kept track of what the public schools were covering. Nope. I know we're covering things they're not, and I know they're covering things we'll hit later. We have no plans to enroll the boys in public school here, so I don't bother to find out.

A neighbor gave me the "I could never" line and I went a little hyperbolic (hyperbolish? hyperbole-like?) on her and said that if her kids were UNSAFE at school, she could and would pull them home and would find something that works. She admitted that yes, if the choice were "at home" or "in danger at school" she would make it work. That's not the reason my kids are homeschooled, but sometimes you just have to go all over the top.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm loving these.

I haven't had any really funny ones. I've had them question my ability to teach certain subjects. When I told my pastor's wife that I was teaching my son Hebrew, she asked amazed, 'Do you know Hebrew?' I replied, 'Well, no.' "Then how do you teach it?" "Umm, we're learning it together!"

I love learning things right along with my son, but people think you have to know it all to teach it.

I haven't had any really funny ones. I've had them question my ability to teach certain subjects. When I told my pastor's wife that I was teaching my son Hebrew, she asked amazed, 'Do you know Hebrew?' I replied, 'Well, no.' "Then how do you teach it?" "Umm, we're learning it together!"

I love learning things right along with my son, but people think you have to know it all to teach it.

:iagree:

I love learning things with my children (that I was never taught in PS.)

Can I ask what you're using to teach Hebrew? I would LOVE to learn and am thinking of adding it to our day (if I can find something to help me through it.)

My favorite so far is, "You have the most polite, well, behaved children I have ever met. They know how to answer the phone properly, behave in a restaurant and theater, interact with kids and adults, and they play so well together and seem so happy ... But still, don't you worry about their socialization?"