Menu

What do your kids say?

Funny things/pronunciations little people say. What are yours?

Mine called their underwear "unvadare".

"Hots" were piles of toys.

"Dees" were stuffed animals.

"Whee Chee" was a little plastic green chair, and whenenver I said whee chee they would all roll around laughing because apparently I pronounced it incorrectly. :001_huh:

Write these down moms, when you're old and senile like me you won't remember.

Both my kids say myoo-ghis for music, they just can't get that one right. :lol:

Anything that was "a lot" when they were little, they would say " a pile" so there was a lot of: "look at the pile of birds!" or "I'm a whole pile of hot".

My daughter says berry instead of very and my very favorite, she says wuv for love.

I wuv you mommy is just so sweet to my ears!

Boo Boo for peekaboo (when she was a toddler) was also a cute one. She also use to call her pony tails "Pobie Tails" :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

My kids are old enough to articulate well and I have forgotten a lot of what they used to say, I didn't write it down either. Waaah!

But I have a 2yo grandson. My daughter calls me up often to tell me about his new words:

Peanut butter on bread: pea bread

Tea pot: pea pot (he has a yellow pea pot)

Juice: yellow

Slide: Wee

When he has undressed himself: I nude.

Stuck: duck

When he is mad at you: You bawawa!

Dog: goggy

When youngest ds was about 5 he had trouble with the words astronaut and ostrich. We visited an exotic animal farm and he excitedly pointed at one of the large birds sitting on the ground. "Look Mommy! An astronaut!" MIL and I laughed even harder when 3yodd stared at it wide-eyed and said, "Big duck!" It did look like a big duck with it's legs tucked under it out of sight.

Youngest dd used to say "I amn't" instead of "I'm not". Until recently she still would occasionally confuse the words syrup and ketchup asking for ketchup for her pancakes. My favorite was when she pointed at the sky one day when she was about 8 and said, "Look Mommy! Skyscrapers!" What can I say? We live in Kansas where there are no real skyscrapers and it seemed logical to her that the word referred to the planes leaving "scrapes" across the sky.:lol:

I can't think of any funnies for the older two at the moment. I'm sure there must be some, but it's been a while;)

Well, my son is just beginning to speak, so I don't have many yet. He does say "Ahhhh" (like you would after a refreshing drink) when he is thirsty.

My friend's dd said "pirkle" for purple when she was small. I remember when I used to sit for them she called the phone a "shone". One day, she sat there saying the "f" sound over and over and over while she played (she was barely a year old). I was frightened because her father has a rather foul mouth and I worried I would be blamed (falsely, of course) with the word that I knew was about to come out of her mouth. After about a half hour, she look up at me thoughtfully and said slowly... phone. I was soooooo relieved.

She also stepped in goose droppings once and called it "doose gookey".

randomly spread throughout all of my children's babyhoods:

yuv = love

Bev Obens = Bob Evans :lol:

beltseat = seatbelt

puck = cup

cheese = please

fert = horse (don't ask me how that came about; I've no idea)

Many more, but those are the ones that really bring a smile.

Lisa

My dd would say:

Popsicle = pockeylah

sandwich = whaa-whee

Thank you = gump (how she got that out of thank you, I'll never know!)

The little one I watch says:

thank you = dayday

bird = herdie

cup = lah-lee

hug = uggy

kiss = mmmmah!

food = nummy

blanket = ghee ghee

feet = toetoes

My dd is 8 and still says "maybe" a bit funny. It comes out "mayve." Rhymes with Gravy.

When she was a little:

hey-mums were M&M's

bibbits were biscuits

her pacifier was a pap-eese said with a funny French accent. We have no idea where that came from.

Let's see.

Emma:

ckles - pickles

gurt - yogurt

anya - lasagna

dles - noodles

laylups - ladybugs

cumps - chipmunks

oo-hih - uh-oh

deebow - rainbow (my parents' dog's name)

Abbie:

buddies - birdies

doodles - noodles

lello - yellow (I know lots of kids do this but it's my favorite :))

pickmic - picnic

packpack - backpack

ateycorns - acorns

oh-blella - umbrella

plillow - pillow

pliglet - piglet

ploop - you can figure it out I bet, LOL

"No I amn't"

And, my 2yo nephew is here right now, and he is the cutest thing. He speaks of himself in the 3rd person a lot, and also phrases everything as a question, so "Auntie Beth can help you?" means "Aunt Beth will you help me?" Other cuteness:

"Grandma can hold you?"

"You are playing with Mumum?"

"You can pet the baby?"

Also, he narrates everything as he goes along: "I will come over here around the chair and see the girls. What are the girls doing? She is drinking her water! What is the baby doing? He is eating his puffs." His enunciation is amazing for a 2yo. I don't remember my girls speaking this well at this age, and of course I thought they were "very advanced." (That's a family joke. All the babies are, of course, very advanced. :D)

And, I have to tell you, hearing a 2 yo with a little New Zealander accent is absolutely precious. The little southerners with their accents melt my heart, but his sweet little voice has them beat. :) I don't really like being called Auntie (makes me feel a bit like I should be an old spinster) but it's OK if Christopher does it.

My dd is 8 and still says "maybe" a bit funny. It comes out "mayve." Rhymes with Gravy.

When she was a little:

hey-mums were M&M's

bibbits were biscuits

her pacifier was a pap-eese said with a funny French accent. We have no idea where that came from.

My daughter calls M&M's Emma M's

K:

covered = cupboard

amn't = aren't

For some reason, she has started thinking double T's are double D's. She tries to enunciate her words by saying things like "pod-dy" instead of "potty." It's cute.

H:

acorn candy = corn candy

recsue = rescue

popaco = Popsicle

sur = sure

Scunday school or Cunday school = Sunday school

I'm sure there are tons more, especially from H, but I can't seem to recall them at the moment. As I hear her talk to me today, I'll have to jot a few down.

beyana = banana (another DD said bana or bananana alternately :))

shoom = spoon

packpack = backpack (they all did this)

amn't (I actually remember doing this as a child, I just couldn't figure it out)

cankum = thank you (we still say this too her occasionally, she is 10 :lol:)

igmire = admire

bedley = a special blanket

oh-ee-oh-ee-oh = Eeyore

We have a library in a town near us that has "Marsh" in the name and dd calls it the Marshmallow library. Same dd says she has to "peep" when she needs to use the bathroom. ;)

I know there's more, I did write them down somewhere around here...

When he was little:

Bunny (his beloved toy that went everywhere with him) = buh-ee

Ducks or chickens were called "gok gok" (his impression of a quack)

hippo = hoppoo

funny = fuff

Many two-syllable words were pronounced by simply doubling the first syllable. So "I'm eating" would be "I ea-eat." After his bath, he would run around "nay-nay". (When I wanted to get his jammies on, he would sometimes protest, "I want nay-nay boy!")

A little older:

hospital = hossible

lemonade = lemalade (we still call it this in our family)

interesting = instersting

He is 11yo, and still pronounces the word "put" funny. He says "putt". He has finally broken the habit of asking me to "lower up the radio".

Wendi

I love this thread! Along with some, my frequently pregnant aging brain is now mush and I can't remember most of the best. The funniest came from my 5th ds, now 7yo:

Catsup = "cow poop" :lol:

We had a little game when he was a toddler. I would ask him, "Joel, are you my sweet boy?" He would reply, "Yeah, mama, I you sweet boy." Turns me to butter every time.

Something lost: "It'll be a turnip." (From us saying, "It'll turn up."

Yo-grit

POP pie

Huh. I can't remember any more right now. Must be getting old already?

My kids still say Yo-grit :lol:

Oh, I forgot a couple: H says smarshmellows (with the accent on the mell) for marshmallows.

They also still say that too!

Another one they still say too is daisylion for dandelion.

All these posts are making me laugh... I LOVE the mispronunciation stage of 1-3 year olds (and up!)

when my son was young.....

Tummy was Pummy

and

..........are you ready????

Chocolate was Cok-lick. :eek: As in, "E" love Cok-lick. :lol:

(we obviously never had him say this in public :lol: )

Drawling. As in, "I am drawling a picture for you, Mommy." I don't know why, but they added an l at the end of many words that ended in the aw sound. Even saw - "I sawl that movie."

They took a long time to grow out of this (dd9 still does it!). Strange children, I have. I don't talk that way, so I have no idea where or why they picked this up.

My daughter is of an age where I'm actively working on correcting these things. Her speech was a bit delayed before age 3, and while she caught up such that she didn't qualify for services through the PS when she finished Early Intervention speech therapy, it's something I'm mindful of.

I have made a blog entry or two about her speech gems. Most recently, we've been working on correcting "aminal" to "animal".

She still sometimes calls a poem a "pullum".

What's really cute now is when she throws out a big word, like "stupendous!"

Just found this thread today and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading! My dc have some in common with some of your dc. For example: Yogrit, catipitter, ambliance, refrigalater (or just frigalator for short!)and one said "ea-eat" too.

Over the years some of the ones I have most enjoyed:

ash-a-lie for eyelash

lem a lems for M&Ms

see-grets for cigarettes (they actually still stay this ex, "Oh sissy, don't step on that see-gret!" in the Target parking lot or wherever.)

cavvage for cabbage

dd5 planted a cabbage and then some critters got to it and she put her hands on her hips, wrinkled up her nose, stomped her foot and said in a growly voice, "Mama! Something been eating my cavvage!"

ds

milk = notch (??)

breakfast = brefkiss (still says it and he's 6)

a neighbor's poodle = sheep (could not talk him out of this!)

dd

milk = nowk (??)

water = wow

headache = head cake :lol:

rooster = cockaroo

any sandwich = ham hammitch

It's too late...my recall is fading fast.:sleep: