Menu

Need help with something but I'm afraid it might be too controversial

What should I use in home made whipped cream? Regular sugar or powdered sugar? And, should I add a little vanilla?

I have never made whipped cream from scratch and am finding a lot of different recipes online.

So what is better? FTR, it will go on strawberries and angel food cake.

What should I use in home made whipped cream? Regular sugar or powdered sugar? And, should I add a little vanilla?

I have never made whipped cream from scratch and am finding a lot of different recipes online.

Gasp! You have never whipped cream and licked the beater? Oy girl, you are in for a treat. And I put no sugar of any kind in the cream...but many people do and live to tell about it. :D

Echoing--chill the bowl and the beaters. We usually make ours unsweetened; dh likes a splash of vanilla. When I've made it with sugar I usually use powdered sugar--1/4 cup per half pint cream.

Yep, though less powdered sugar when I sweeten... maybe a tablespoon.

Powdered sugar seems to work better if you need to hold the whipped cream for a while. I think it's the cornstarch they use as an anti-clumping/flow agent; it prevents the finished product from separating in the bowl or on your pie.

Can you use an electric mixer to whip the cream or do you have to use a wire whisk? On television shows the chefs always do it with a wire whisk but that looks so hard! I tried this last week with an electric mixer and it didn't work at all, but neither my bowl nor beaters were pre-chilled.

Can you use an electric mixer to whip the cream or do you have to use a wire whisk? On television shows the chefs always do it with a wire whisk but that looks so hard! I tried this last week with an electric mixer and it didn't work at all, but neither my bowl nor beaters were pre-chilled.

I've never used a wire whick - I just sort of imagine it would take forever.

I always use the mixer at the highest speed - whether it's a hand mixer or a stand mixer.

th_Smiley28.gif?t=1264921598

Using a wire whisk at a dinner party gets the guys involved! Make them show off their brute strength. ;)

I don't use either. I use honey. YUMMMMMM!

Thanks everyone. I chilled everything. [dd even put the mixer in the freezer. :001_huh:]

Anyway, I went with vanilla, about a 1teaspoon. And powered sugar, about 1/4 cup. This was mixed with a 1/2 gallon of heavy whipping cream. Everyone declared it a success. :D

Thanks everyone. I chilled everything. [dd even put the mixer in the freezer. :001_huh:]

Anyway, I went with vanilla, about a 1teaspoon. And powered sugar, about 1/4 cup. This was mixed with a 1/2 gallon of heavy whipping cream. Everyone declared it a success. :D

:svengo:

(I put the hardware in my -10 freezer for about 30 minutes, and the cream in for about 10. The colder, the better. Warm cream makes butter, cold cream holds air.)

Powdered and yes to the vanilla. :)

I can't believe you've dragged us all through such controversy!!! :lol:

I really need to read the threads before posting. I'm guessing you meant a quart or a pint? I can't imagine

the size mixing bowl you'd need to whip a half gallon! :w00t:

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Regular Sugar, how much? Depends on how sweet the strawberries are.

Always chill the bowl and beaters, as others have said.

Whip until the cream starts to thicken, then add sugar and a touch of vanilla.

Try a dollop in your coffee or hot chocolate. ;)

Here's my best tip, though:

FIRST chill the bowl in which you will whip the cream.;)

This is exactly what I was going to say! I think it makes all the difference!:) I make mine in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and put the bowl in the freezer for a bit.

I like powdered sugar a bit better and I sift it to make it nice and fine first. I think it just gives a smoother texture to the finished product. I like a dash of vanilla, too, but don't always use it.

MMmmm....you made 1/2 GALLON of whipping cream....seriously, that is a lot of whipping cream!

For future notes.....I use a glass bowl that is chilled sometimes, but most times just out of the cupboard and not hot (like out of the dishwasher) is fine.

(Plastic bowls can have a grease residue that makes the whipping cream, not whip)

To me, I can feel the granules of regular sugar in whipping cream. Powdered sugar makes a much nicer final product. If I only have granulated, I put it in the blender to make powdered sugar of it before I start.

I add vanilla, powdered sugar and sometimes a dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg...it depends on what we are eating it on.

Hey! I make homemade whipped cream. My interest started when a chef friend of 30 years made some for us during one of our visits.

Based on that, I use the cream whipped to almost near peaked. I add a little of the granular sugar and continue to whip to right consistency. I would prefer not to use sugar, but a little 1/4 - 1/3 c. gives it a "barely" sweetened taste that's not overwhelming on the tongue.

I like vanilla alot, but it may be overwhelming. Sometimes there can be too many flavors. The liquid may take down the whipped cream.

However you make it.....ENJOY!

Powdered and yes to the vanilla. :)

I can't believe you've dragged us all through such controversy!!! :lol:

I really need to read the threads before posting. I'm guessing you meant a quart or a pint? I can't imagine

the size mixing bowl you'd need to whip a half gallon! :w00t:

You're right' date=' it was a quart. I really thought it was larger than that, but boy howdy does a quart make [b']a lot[/b] of whipped cream. It's all gone btw.