Menu

Would you pay an extra $2 for an "overage" kids meal?

DH recently had a server at one of our regular restaurants charge an extra $2 for DD (age 14) to order off the kids menu. We've been going there for years and this was the first time they made an issue of DD being older than their target range for the kids meals. (It was not one of our regular servers either.)

Personally, I think it's not reasonable to charge a 12-and-up $2 more for the exact same meal they'd serve an 11-and-under. I'll be talking to the manager the next time we go and if they insist on this new policy, we'll stop going there until DD can eat an adult meal!

Just posting to see if other folks think this is a reasonable policy.

Pegasus

I think that's ridiculous, as well - it's the same amount of food, right?

ETA: I don't have a problem with a restaurant enforcing their policy, it's the charging more that I think is absurd.

Edited by Guest

They have a limit on it and have it stated so I'm not so sure you should be too unhappy with them. I know they haven't made a fuss in the past and that is their fault. I'm only assuming that there is a stated age. Should they charge more no but then they shouldn't let the kids over 12 order off the kids menu. Either they charge extra, don't let older kids order off the kids menu or get rid of the age limit.

Is it possible to take home the portion of the adult meal your dd can't eat and use it for lunch the next day?

I'm personally upset that kid's eat free is usually "with a paid adult" so one of our kids isn't free. Discrimination against larger families :001_smile:

Kelly

As long as it's not a buffet, I wouldn't be too happy. If it's the exact same amount of food, then that's crazy. I order off of the kids menu all of the time. I cannot eat larger portions and I don't care to take them home and eat leftovers. If a place told me I couldn't order from the kids menu, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Many times kid meals are loss-leaders as a kindness to parents. Restaurants charge extra for adults to order them or lots of adults would order them, and the restaurant might lose *too much* money.

Yep. It's not that they charge extra for the olders, it's that they discount them for children. :001_smile: My 15 yo likes to order from the "kid menu" sometimes 9and I do, too,) but I always expect to pay extra if needed.

They have a limit on it and have it stated so I'm not so sure you should be too unhappy with them. I know they haven't made a fuss in the past and that is their fault. I'm only assuming that there is a stated age. Should they charge more no but then they shouldn't let the kids over 12 order off the kids menu. Either they charge extra, don't let older kids order off the kids menu or get rid of the age limit.

I agree with this. I don't think you have a reason to be mad -- it's their restaurant and their policy. You got away with it for a couple of years, now it's time to adjust to them sticking with their stated policy. $2 is nothing when, according to their policy, she should be ordering off the adult menu; the $2.00 is less than what you'd be paying, probably, if she did so. So you're still getting a deal. (Our 12 and ups DO order off the adult menu -- we just tell them they have to stick to X-amount and under for the price).

I'm personally upset that kid's eat free is usually "with a paid adult" so one of our kids isn't free. Discrimination against larger families :001_smile:

Yeah, this bugs me too, but same thing -- it's their policy. From our side, it's frustrating because parents with two kids pay for two out of four meals, while we, with seven kids, have to pay for seven out of nine meals -- the percentage is very different). But from the restaurant's side, they're giving away a lot of food if they gave us seven free meals (like Mrs. Mungo said, kids meals are usually loss-leaders).

Oh, well!

I'm not sure why kids meals are a loss for restaurants. You get half (or even less than half) of the amount of food in an adult meal. And you usually pay about half the cost.

Now, if kids meals are free one evening, then I, as an adult, do not expect to eat for free.

Many times kid meals are loss-leaders as a kindness to parents. Restaurants charge extra for adults to order them or lots of adults would order them, and the restaurant might lose *too much* money.

:iagree: Sometimes I order an adult meal for my 9 y.o. twins to share and it cost less than 2 kid's meals. I have no problem with a restaurant putting limitations on who orders kid's meals. Some places the kid's meal is not much smaller than the adults (especially the places that have lots of extras for the kids).

I'm not sure why kids meals are a loss for restaurants. You get half (or even less than half) of the amount of food in an adult meal. And you usually pay about half the cost.

Now, if kids meals are free one evening, then I, as an adult, do not expect to eat for free.

I agree, we have paid more than $4 for a kids meal of mac n cheese that was basically a portion of a standard blue box of mac n cheese with a drink. No way it costs them $4 for that meal.

:iagree:

There's at least one restaurant we frequent that has this stated policy. I certainly don't begrudge them, though I'd be annoyed if they charged the fee with*out* stating up front that that was the policy. The alternative, of course, is not to order from the kids' menu for teenagers.

I'm just glad when the the kids menu has food worth eating! So often it's chicken tenders and frozen burgers. Gag.

I wouldn't have any problem paying the extra $2. IME kids AND adult portions at restaurants are huge. I've been to restaurants where the kids portions are just as large as the adult portion, or they come with a dessert. I see it as a kid's discount.

As for the $4 mac n cheese--if they charged what the mac and cheese costs, how will the restaurant make a profit/pay servers/etc?

I think it's a very reasonable policy. I wouldn't expect a 14-yr-old to be able to order off of a kid's menu at all, really. It's nice to have the choice.

If you like the restaurant, I'd keep going, order an adult meal, and take home the leftovers. She may never complete an adult portion at one sitting. I've been an adult for QUITE some time now, and I doubt I've eaten an entire restaurant meal at one sitting more than once or twice.

I wouldn't be too happy about that and probably wouldn't return.

Not that it's ever been an issue here bc all my kids eat adult portions anyways.

Was it a smaller main menu item or a kid item like corn dogs?

When our kids just need a smaller portion, we order off the adult menu and split it between two of the littlest ones.

We rarely eat somewhere that serves a special corn dog type of kid menu. We expect our children to eat the same type of foods as us.

We don't find the kid eats free with paid adult order a problem either. We have 3 teen boys now order off the adult menu. So that is 5 free kids! Woot!

Tho again, we don't eat at many places that offer these things anyways. I'm persnickety about what is worth eating out for.;)

Not unless they add two more dollars worth of food.

What do they care how old the person eating the kids meal is? As long as it is part of an additional order it should not matter to them. If you are ordering one kids meal for yourself and nothing else they might be concerned about taking up a table/waitress' time for a cheap meal and therefore small tip. But as part of a family meal, no way.

I think it's a reasonable policy. It would be surprising to be in your dh's position, after the restaurant has allowed it for so long. Maybe they didn't know exactly how old your dd was before this?

The pp who said that it's a discount for the younger kids had a good point. I'm sure you would not do it, but I can just imagine some family of four going in, all ordering off the kids' menu.

Some restaurants open the children's menu to anyone. I know Cracker Barrel does.

We frequent a restaurant that does a lunch buffet. The first time we went, we were told that they only charge for children 5 and over. Every time we have gone we were only charged for the adults and the boys. Due to this, I only ever got the girls rice and tiny little something. Well, yesterday, they not only charged me for DD4, eventhough she only ate rice, but they charged me automatic tip because we had a party of 6 or more. I was furious. This is perhaps the 10th time we have eaten there. It was a different waitress and so I guess so much of the bill is arbitrary due to the server.

DH says we will not be going back.

I appreciate everyone's perspective. The meal that DD likes to order is BBQ ribs (4) and one side. There is an equivalent adult meal that provides 6 ribs and 2 sides. She doesn't like leftovers so it always made sense to us to order the smaller meal as she gets full and doesn't have anything left over.

I will talk to the manager the next time I go there because I want to get the official policy. We are there almost every week so he recognizes us and usually makes it a point to come over and talk. He's even given us complementary items several times (dessert, a bottle of their BBQ sauce, once even our entire meals) because he appreciates our loyalty.

I respect their right to set their policies and decide to enforce it. However, they'll have to respect our desires to spend our money elsewhere!

Pegasus

I guess I wouldn't charge an overage for an older child ordering off the kids' menu. I would enforce the age restrictions as posted on the menu. If there are no age restrictions listed on the menu then it is just a menu.

If I were to charge an overage it wouldn't be a surprise when the bill arrived. That would be listed on the menu.

I will talk to the manager the next time I go there because I want to get the official policy. We are there almost every week so he recognizes us and usually makes it a point to come over and talk. He's even given us complementary items several times (dessert, a bottle of their BBQ sauce, once even our entire meals) because he appreciates our loyalty.

I respect their right to set their policies and decide to enforce it. However, they'll have to respect our desires to spend our money elsewhere!

Pegasus

I don't know, sounds like you guys have it pretty good there, even with the $2 charge! My guess is that official policy is to charge the over age fee, and the servers who know you usually waive it as a courtesty to regulars.

I worked at a restaurant - we lost money on kids meals. We flat out wouldn't let anyone over 12 order from it (as stated on the kids' menu).

Edited by mamalbh

I actually don't have a problem with that kind of policy.

As a result of a combination of our dietary habits and a couple of kind of picky kids, we often find it helpful to be able to order off the kids' menu. We won't lie about their ages. So, I am always happy to pay a small fee for the convenience of ordering the meal my son wants.

Think about the policy from the restaurant's perspective: They're thinking that a 14-year-old can be expected to order an adult meal, which offers the restaurant a larger profit. (Kids' meals are often more like loss leaders, designed to encourage parents to come in to eat.) If, instead, the teen orders a kid-priced meal, the restaurant loses that profit. And the waiter can expect a smaller tip since the total cost of the meal is lower.

I don't know, sounds like you guys have it pretty good there, even with the $2 charge! My guess is that official policy is to charge the over age fee, and the servers who know you usually waive it as a courtesty to regulars.

Yep, absolutely!

Sometimes, I find that the kids menu is ridiculously expensive for the amount of food you get. Sometimes, I find it a great value and you get a good amount of food.

I would price compare the items on the kids menu. Is the kids meal $5, and the adult meal $10, in which case $7 would be a good deal to pay.... But if it is only a $2 difference, then don't bother.

Another option is to order an adult meal and split it with another kid or you. :)

Some restaurants I have encountered charge a fee if you want to share your meal.

Really this is why I rarely go out to eat anymore. I get it, they are in the business to make money, but I don't want a ridiculous amount of food that I'll never eat even half of. I don't want to be charged extra for asking for a smaller portion. It's just such a pain.

:iagree: When dd was too little to eat a full kids meal I'd ask for a plate and give her just a bit of my food. Often times I'd get charged $2 for the extra plate.

And what is it with portion sizes lately? We've been to some places that give enough food on one plate to feed a small family for a week. And we wonder why so many people have a problem with weight.

Many restaurants in this area have a similar policy. I always thought it was to discourage the high school students from ordering kids' meals and hanging out, taking up tables, all hours.

We don't have to worry about the policy yet because dd is still well within the age range. Depending on the restaurant or item, though, we sometimes go ahead and order the adult portion for her and have it wrapped up to go if there are leftovers. If she really likes something, the kids' size isn't enough.

Here's a tip: some of the restaurants we frequent offer a mini-meal on the appetizer menu. It's plenty of food for a kid and about half the cost of a full meal. No policies attached!

I think it's ridiculous and would not pay extra. I'd also make a big deal about it to the manager, but that's probably why my DH gets embarrassed. LOL :tongue_smilie:

Was looking for a 'like' button for this one! I'm the same way!! DH is the perfect diplomat (comes from working as a measly contractor for a MAJOR, world-wide company, fort 20 years). And he often says to me, in a VERY firm voice. Go To The Car. Now. I Will Take Care Of This.

Really this is why I rarely go out to eat anymore. I get it, they are in the business to make money, but I don't want a ridiculous amount of food that I'll never eat even half of. I don't want to be charged extra for asking for a smaller portion. It's just such a pain.

This reminds of some commercial. A lady is at the butcher and asks for an XX pound piece of meat and says, 'but just wrap half, I'll end up throwing the rest away anyway." Sad, but true. Yesterday I threw away the end pieces on a loaf of bread and had a huge wave of guilt. Those 2 pieces of bread could feed at least 2 children for a day...but then, I did grow up with the 'half the world is starving' motto in my face at every meal. (and I have the butt to show for it.)

Edited by cin

He's even given us complementary items several times (dessert, a bottle of their BBQ sauce, once even our entire meals) because he appreciates our loyalty.

:001_huh:

Wow, if I had such a good relationship with a local business, I wouldn't mind at all spending a couple extra bucks a week in support of them, especially when they've been quite generous on their part. I pay a couple bucks more per bag for our chicken feed at our local feed store, when I could get it cheaper through a non-local co-op that comes once a month, because it seems like it means something to do so. Relationships go both ways ......

ETA -- According to some very rough/basic calculations based on your posts, they've given you about $240 worth of free food over the last two years, and they're still giving by not requiring that she order off the adult menu. Gosh, I think $2 a week is fair to consider. That's just the way I process things, anyway. YMMV.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

:iagree: When dd was too little to eat a full kids meal I'd ask for a plate and give her just a bit of my food. Often times I'd get charged $2 for the extra plate.

And what is it with portion sizes lately? We've been to some places that give enough food on one plate to feed a small family for a week. And we wonder why so many people have a problem with weight.

I agree. Portion sizes in some places are out of control. I like places that allow us to split meals (eldest dd and I often split a meal), do appetizers as meals, that offer half sized salads, etc.

I don't think it's unreasonable (although I think he should get a bigger drink to go with it). What I'd probably do though is order him an adult meal and doggie bag whatever is too much. Two extra bucks is probably less than you'd pay for the adult meal.

I don't really have a problem with it. Actually I'm a bit surprised. Most restaurants in my town refuse to offer the child's menu to anyone over the age of 10. My daughter is 11yo and we just share an adult meal, adding in a salad or whatever to make it enough for both of us.

They accommodated your family by allowing her to order the meal at a regular 11+ price.

I worked as a server for years and this is the case. Also, many servers do not say anything because they don't want to miss out on a tip. They can get fired for serving you a kids meal without Manager approval.

I would pay extra and not make a big deal about it. Rules are rules whether we agree or not. I used to get people that would get all bent out of shape over this. Even when there was a similar meal on the menu. I know this was not the case here. The problem is that some servers let t slide and then one comes along and follows the rules. It usually doesn't go over well. I used to run into this from tables that wanted to order one soft drink and share between 5 of them. Big no no, but some waitresses were to worried about their tip to say something.

Danielle

I don't think I have ever ordered a kids meal for one of my older kids. I mean the kid menu usually states an age range, usually 12 and under.

My 14 year old is not a big eater so instead we will order a side salad each and split an entree.

Perhaps a better solution would be to ask if you could get a half portion of an adult meal at a reduce cost or split a meal with your child.

Kids meals are hardly any food at all. No, I wouldn't pay $2 more for that. My 10 year old son now needs to order off the adult menu because the kids meal is not enough food for him.

I guess experiences like this, and the person who said it is stuff like mac & cheese? It really depends upon where you are eating *and* what the kids order.

Here are the kid meals for a couple of random popular national chains:

Olive Garden mac & cheese is on there at $4.75, sure. But, my son orders the chicken breast with spaghetti and broccoli. The latter is a good sized meal for an *adult*, and it's only $5.35.

At my local Chili's all of the kid meals are $4.59. Again, mac & cheese is on the menu (I get the idea that's all some kids will eat). But, they also have a grilled chicken option with plenty of fruit/veg side choices.

Restaurants that are locally run seem to have better options for kids.

We frequent a restaurant that does a lunch buffet. The first time we went, we were told that they only charge for children 5 and over. Every time we have gone we were only charged for the adults and the boys. Due to this, I only ever got the girls rice and tiny little something. Well, yesterday, they not only charged me for DD4, eventhough she only ate rice, but they charged me automatic tip because we had a party of 6 or more. I was furious. This is perhaps the 10th time we have eaten there. It was a different waitress and so I guess so much of the bill is arbitrary due to the server.

DH says we will not be going back.

I don't understand. Kids 5 and under eat free, but because of that you don't let the little ones eat very much? If that's their policy why do the little ones only get a tiny bit of food? I get that little kids don't always eat much anyhow (mine don't, at least) but if we go to a buffet where they're free I let them get whatever I know they'll be able to eat.

As for them charging for your 4 y/o did you ask them about it? Perhaps the server just overestimated your dd's age...?

If it is a place you've regularly visited and have enjoyed I guess I just don't understand why you'd be furious over what might easily have been just an honest mistake.

Wow, if I had such a good relationship with a local business, I wouldn't mind at all spending a couple extra bucks a week in support of them, especially when they've been quite generous on their part... Gosh, I think $2 a week is fair to consider. That's just the way I process things, anyway. YMMV.

You make a lot of sense. :D We do tend to focus our business on just a few local places. Our favorite pizza place is owned locally and although we don't go as often as we used to, we could walk in, sit down, and be served without ever having to give our order! I guess we've gotten spoiled.

Tonight's our "usual" night to hit the rib joint. I'll pass along any updates. :lol:

Pegasus

I think it's a very reasonable policy. I wouldn't expect a 14-yr-old to be able to order off of a kid's menu at all, really. It's nice to have the choice.

If you like the restaurant, I'd keep going, order an adult meal, and take home the leftovers. She may never complete an adult portion at one sitting. I've been an adult for QUITE some time now, and I doubt I've eaten an entire restaurant meal at one sitting more than once or twice.