Menu

What do you consider a "normal" price range for wedding gifts?

What price range is normal for wedding gifts?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What price range is normal for wedding gifts?

• Less than $25
    • $25-50
    • $50-100
    • $100-200
    • $200-300
    • More than $300
    • Way more than $300
    • Other

I'm thinking for friends and extended family. My SIL was talking about the weddings her grown children have recently been to. She mentioned the gifts that her children gave and also some other things the couples received at showers. These gifts were waaayyy extravagant to my thinking. I told her the price range I normally move towards and she said, "Well, I figure if the people are paying a couple hundred dollars per person, they should be getting that back in gifts." :svengo: I disagreed and said if they throw an expensive wedding, that is their problem; it doesn't obligate the attendees to "reimburse" equal to their extravagance.

DH thinks SIL has an ulterior motive for saying this. Three of her four grown children will probably get married within the next year or three. He's probably right, but my wedding gift budget is not going to increase dramatically because she has this discussion with me. ;)

BUT - hey, maybe I'm stuck in the past. Maybe people all around me are giving very expensive gifts and money and, since it's been a while since I was married, and since I'm not privy to what people are receiving these days, maybe I'm just totally incorrect. It's a theory! :D

Poll coming.

ETA: It would probably help to say the region or country where you live. I'm in the Northeast and I think weddings are higher all around.

Edited by Quill

We always give cash. How much depends on where we are financially and how well we know the couple. I also tend to go bigger when I know the couple really needs it (which I often have intimate knowledge of, because my dh is usually the marrying pastor).

Depending on how close we are to the couple, we've got three usual price ranges: if we don't know them well, maybe around $50 total. If we know them but they aren't close friends or family, $100 total, generally split between the bridal shower and the wedding gift. For closer friends it's usually about $50 for bridal shower and $100 for the wedding gift, though in the case of my husband's sister (who was married before met) I'm pretty sure he went way higher. It remains to be seen what we give to my brother and his brother, as they are 21 and 17, respectively, and unlikely to be married soon. ;)

I don't feel badly spending only $25-50 on gifts from a registry, for example. If they ask for this ladle, that pair of kitchen shears, and this slotted spoon, I'll buy them for the couple, as long as it doesn't exceed $50 (including gift wrap/bag/tissue and card...and tax, hehe). It's what they asked for. :D

I don't think there is a normal and there should not be a cultural expectation. It should go by what can be afforded. Dh and I are attending a church with a LOT of young people. Someone is engaged, getting married, all the time. If we are invited to the wedding and we choose to attend and the person is not someone within our family or very close immediate circle of friends, we spend $10.00. What I do is watch clearance sales so that I can get a set of towels for that, or a nice picture frame. This way the gift is nice. I have a shelf in my closet that is dedicated to my finds and if for some reason I don't have anything suitable on the closet shelf, then I run to my quilt fabric stash because I have a nifty 20 minute table runner that I can make...it looks great and will be unique.

We don't do bridal or baby showers except for family or best buddies. OH, and we also do not provide high school graduation gifts for every graduate. The "all church" invite for kids we really don't know....well, if we gave gifts for all of these events we'd have to dip into the kids' college fund to do it. But, we do try to be generous with our family members and closest friends.

Dh does not get involved in these types of things for co-workers either. He works for a large company and easily 50 people would count him amongst their friends. If we did every wedding, shower, graduation, etc. we wouldn't make the mortgage for June and July.

That's just us....Mr. and Mrs. Scrooge.

Faith

I voted other because I couldn't make multiple selections.

For friends or their dc we normally spend $50-100 depending upon how we close we are. For extended family (like cousins) generally $100-200. For nieces and nephews we've generally ended up spending $300 or more depending upon how many showers we go to plus the gift for the wedding.

I guess I'm more of a "the best gift for the couple" type of person.

But I am still on a budget so I guess anywhere between 25-75 depending on the gift.

What really gets expensive is the stuff that goes along with it--- the drive, the new outfit (because I have nothing nice in my closet), the hotel, eating out--- Actually the gift is the cheapest part!

So when you add what the couple is spending on the wedding, think about what the guest is spending on the wedding.--including the time that could have been spent on a vacation. (this is mostly for out of town guests.)

If 200.00 is the equalizer, they might owe the guest in the end!!!.

Depends on who it is.

Brother or sister? Above 500. Cousin? 1-200.

Niece/nephew? 100

Best friend's children? 500.

friend? 100

Caveat: if we had no $, those numbers would change and the family would understand why. But $ at weddings is a serious thing here. And I've never been to a wedding where a non monetary gift was given.

Actually, I think social class, even unstated, is probably more telling than location. Just in my city, we have families that are likely living below poverty and families that own mcmansions.

I personally think $100 is an average amount to spend on a wedding gift.

My cousin married into a family with money and their wedding was a big deal. Their gift registry rocked my world! All I could afford was a couple of spoons and a spatula! :tongue_smilie: That alone cost me over $50.

I put $50-100. If I do not know the person, I am not likely going to their wedding. If there is a registry, I will pick from there and even by multiple things that add up to the amount I want. I do not count the cost of gift wrapping.

I think $25 would be good for someone I am not very close to. In this case, I would likely send a gift and not attend. Attending the wedding adds a lot more spending. In both cases, I find things on sale and look for what I feel best fits the couple.

I was also taught that you should consider the cost to have you at the wedding. (to a point) This varies by region. I think there are special circumstances. Also, the couple really shouldn't be looking the prices up afterwards.:D

I am in Mexico, but consider my answer to be for San Diego.;)

Danielle

Hmmm, good point. We gave my sister and our new brother-in-law the cooking set they had on their registry. That cost a pretty penny! So, for close family: bigger gift.

But for our closest friends, I tend to go sentimental and homemade. I made my friend's garters (one to throw and one to keep) for her wedding gift. And for her shower, I had put together one of those baskets with small gifts (in this case, special chocolates) for future events in their first year together, i.e. white chocolate for their wedding night, peppermint chocolate for their first Christmas, etc. (However, I ended spending mucho buckos on those sugary treats!)

For most weddings, $25-50 suffices. :)

Actually, I think social class, even unstated, is probably more telling than location. Just in my city, we have families that are likely living below poverty and families that own mcmansions.

I personally think $100 is an average amount to spend on a wedding gift.

My cousin married into a family with money and their wedding was a big deal. Their gift registry rocked my world! All I could afford was a couple of spoons and a spatula! :tongue_smilie: That alone cost me over $50.

This too.

There is an old standard that you give a gift equal to the price of your meals. So the gift is matched a bit to how fancy the wedding is. But even in that, the guests didn't cover the whole wedding, just their own meal.

I voted $50-100 for extended family and friends (I spend a lot more for close family or favorite young cousins.) I go by the relation and the age/situation of the couple. Young and poor, just out of college? $100 cash. Already well on their way, have most of what they need, two careers? $50 in gift card to registry store. I also try to recipricate at the level that they or their parents have given to us, because that tells you what would make them most comfortable. I don't give gifts, except at showers, but I spend about the same amount for the shower gifts.

I'm thinking for friends and extended family. My SIL was talking about the weddings her grown children have recently been to. She mentioned the gifts that her children gave and also some other things the couples received at showers. These gifts were waaayyy extravagant to my thinking. I told her the price range I normally move toward and she said, "Well, I figure if the people are paying a couple hundred dollars per person, they should be getting that back in gifts." :svengo: I disagreed and said if they throw an expensive wedding, that is their problem; it doesn't obligate the attendees to "reimburse" equal to their extravagance.

DH thinks SIL has an ulterior motive for saying this. Three of her four grown children will probably get married within the next year or three. He's probably right, but my wedding gift budget is not going to increase dramatically because she has this discussion with me. ;)

BUT - hey, maybe I'm stuck in the past. Maybe people all around me are giving very expensive gifts and money and, since it's been a while since I was married, and since I'm not privy to what people are receiving these days, maybe I'm just totally incorrect. It's a theory! :D

Poll coming.

ETA: It would probably help to say the region or country where you live. I'm in the Northeast and I think weddings are higher all around.

I am also in the Northeast, and weddings are getting crazy here. It seems like everyone is trying to out-do the last person who was married. My niece was recently married, and my SIL let me know that they put a mortgage on their house, and were spending $100,000 for the wedding. Really?!? I don't feel obligated to help them pay for that.

I guess I'm more of a "the best gift for the couple" type of person.

But I am still on a budget so I guess anywhere between 25-75 depending on the gift.

What really gets expensive is the stuff that goes along with it--- the drive, the new outfit (because I have nothing nice in my closet), the hotel, eating out--- Actually the gift is the cheapest part!

So when you add what the couple is spending on the wedding, think about what the guest is spending on the wedding.--including the time that could have been spent on a vacation. (this is mostly for out of town guests.)

If 200.00 is the equalizer, they might owe the guest in the end!!!.

Ha, Ha, Yeah, I flew to Colorado for my brother's wedding. If I add my travel expenses in...

Depends on who it is.

Brother or sister? Above 500. Cousin? 1-200.

Niece/nephew? 100

Best friend's children? 500.

friend? 100

Caveat: if we had no $, those numbers would change and the family would understand why. But $ at weddings is a serious thing here. And I've never been to a wedding where a non monetary gift was given.

Jeez, Justamouse! :D My brother might wish he was your brother!

I put $50-100. If I do not know the person, I am not likely going to their wedding. If there is a registry, I will pick from there and even by multiple things that add up to the amount I want. I do not count the cost of gift wrapping.

I think $25 would be good for someone I am not very close to. In this case, I would likely send a gift and not attend. Attending the wedding adds a lot more spending. In both cases, I find things on sale and look for what I feel best fits the couple.

I was also taught that you should consider the cost to have you at the wedding. (to a point) This varies by region. I think there are special circumstances. Also, the couple really shouldn't be looking the prices up afterwards.:D

I am in Mexico, but consider my answer to be for San Diego.;)

Danielle

There is an old standard that you give a gift equal to the price of your meals. So the gift is matched a bit to how fancy the wedding is. But even in that, the guests didn't cover the whole wedding, just their own meal.

I voted $50-100 for extended family and friends (I spend a lot more for close family or favorite young cousins.) I go by the relation and the age/situation of the couple. Young and poor, just out of college? $100 cash. Already well on their way, have most of what they need, two careers? $50 in gift card to registry store. I also try to recipricate at the level that they or their parents have given to us, because that tells you what would make them most comfortable. I don't give gifts, except at showers, but I spend about the same amount for the shower gifts.

Well, color me dumbstruck! When I was planning my wedding, it never entered my mind that I should receive gifts that equate with the "fanciness" of my wedding. (My wedding was not that fancy, though; we paid for it entirely ourselves and it was around $5000.) When I have attended a wedding, it has never entered my mind that I should give a gift according to the fanciness of the wedding. That assumption would seem incredibly rude on the part of the wedding-givers to me. You pay for your own party. Make it a down-home barbeque or make it a New York theatrical event of the century, but at the end of the day, your guests' budgets don't increase because you went all out. Well, just...blow me down. I'm totally astonished.

I am also in the Northeast, and weddings are getting crazy here. It seems like everyone is trying to out-do the last person who was married. My niece was recently married, and my SIL let me know that they put a mortgage on their house, and were spending $100,000 for the wedding. Really?!? I don't feel obligated to help them pay for that.

I agree. Same with birthday parties for kids, but that's a whole 'nother thread. ;)

And here's an interesting twist: Last year, I was buying my nephew a set of kitchen knives because he was moving into his house, which he rebuilt from a disgusting shack. I was incredibly proud of his accomplishment. I wanted to get him good knives, J.A. Henklemen (however you spell it). I managed to score an extremely good deal, that was actually a sales-circular misprint, which the store honored anyway. I was so stoked at getting this awesome gift for just a little over $50...but I was worried that someone might think I was being too flashy! I was concerned that someone might think I was buying this expensive gift to out-gift everyone else! It's ironic now. I may have spent less than any SIL. :tongue_smilie:

Jeez, Justamouse! :D My brother might wish he was your brother!

Lol! I was very humbled by what Dh's parents, sister and uncles gave us. Really. My amounts are drops to what they gave, and it meant so much to us-still does. We had a shotgun wedding in my mom's backyard that we paid for ourselves. So, if I'm ever in the position to give more to family I would.

But let me also tell you of one of the most beautiful gifts I'd ever seen. I had a friend who had nothing, and he was invited to another dear friend's wedding. Obviously he couldn't give $, or even buy a present, so, what he gave to them was a performance, right there at their reception. It was breathtaking. It was a kata-I don't remember the name or the kind, but it was beautiful.

So, it's not all about the $, it's about the heart.

Edited by justamouse

Well, color me dumbstruck! When I was planning my wedding, it never entered my mind that I should receive gifts that equate with the "fanciness" of my wedding. (My wedding was not that fancy, though; we paid for it entirely ourselves and it was around $5000.) When I have attended a wedding, it has never entered my mind that I should give a gift according to the fanciness of the wedding. That assumption would seem incredibly rude on the part of the wedding-givers to me. You pay for your own party. Make it a down-home barbeque or make it a New York theatrical event of the century, but at the end of the day, your guests' budgets don't increase because you went all out. Well, just...blow me down. I'm totally astonished.

Yep. Our wedding reception was in my parents' backyard and the meals couldn't have cost more than a few dollars per person. Fortunately, that's not the way our family does it. :001_smile: We were young and poor and in school, and they were all very generous in helping us get established in our new home. One of my uncles gave us a stack of bills. Ten of them. :D That paid for our little honeymoon and our bills for the month.

The last wedding we attended was dh's sister. She was 37 when she got married, and she had been living with her groom for about a year. We got her the trashcan for which she had registered. Granted, it was a super cute bathroom trashcan, but I felt a little guilty. Until of course I figured in the airfare for our family of five to fly to the wedding, the rental car, the flower girl dress for dd and ring bearer attire for ds, not to mention the decorating we did and the decent clothes for dh, baby girl, and me.

If we are sent an invitation from a friend, I stay within the $25-$50 range. When my sisters get married, they will get more.

And I've never been to a wedding where a non monetary gift was given.

Do you mean you've never been to a wedding where you didn't give a non-monetary gift? Or you've never been to a wedding (in general) where non-monetary gifts are given?

Just clarifying to make sure I understand. The latter would very unusual for me. Every wedding I've been too has a registry and although money is a perfectly acceptable gift, registry gifts are the norm.

Susan

Guest momk2000

I spend what I can afford. Whatever my budget will allow at the time. If you do some bargain shopping, you would be surprised at what you can find at a reasonable price. I would not go over $100, but also would not hesitate to keep it around $20-$25.

I received exactly 2 wedding gifts when I was married. One was a nice candle holder from DH's grandma that I now have boxed up to give to DD one day, and the other was a gift card to a local hotel & babysitting services for our son for a weekend from my father & stepmother. We had a small ceremony, with only immediate family there. We paid for everything ourselves & spent maybe $400 including our license & the minister.

So I'm never sure what the right answer is here.

I voted $50-$100, but would have voted $25-$125 if that were an option. When my BFF got married, we bought several of the kitchen items from her registry & spent almost $150. I'll likely have 2 brothers marrying in the next year. One (the younger) has asked if I will shoot their wedding (he was pricing me-- but I'll likely do it for him as a wedding gift, including a disc of edited images, a book & one large framed print-- about a $2-300 layout plus my time), the other I'll probably handle a bit differently because I know their circumstances are different. The older has a baby on the way & no real means of providing for himself, let alone anyone else. For him, we'll go a more practical route. Towels, basic kitchen things... I'm not sure what all because they would get married tomorrow, homeless, jobless & all, if they could afford a license.

I received exactly 2 wedding gifts when I was married. One was a nice candle holder from DH's grandma that I now have boxed up to give to DD one day, and the other was a gift card to a local hotel & babysitting services for our son for a weekend from my father & stepmother. We had a small ceremony, with only immediate family there. We paid for everything ourselves & spent maybe $400 including our license & the minister.

So I'm never sure what the right answer is here.

I voted $50-$100, but would have voted $25-$125 if that were an option. When my BFF got married, we bought several of the kitchen items from her registry & spent almost $150. I'll likely have 2 brothers marrying in the next year. One (the younger) has asked if I will shoot their wedding (he was pricing me-- but I'll likely do it for him as a wedding gift, including a disc of edited images, a book & one large framed print-- about a $2-300 layout plus my time), the other I'll probably handle a bit differently because I know their circumstances are different. The older has a baby on the way & no real means of providing for himself, let alone anyone else. For him, we'll go a more practical route. Towels, basic kitchen things... I'm not sure what all because they would get married tomorrow, homeless, jobless & all, if they could afford a license.

Yikes! Not the best set-up for starting a new life.

Do you mean you've never been to a wedding where you didn't give a non-monetary gift? Or you've never been to a wedding (in general) where non-monetary gifts are given?

Just clarifying to make sure I understand. The latter would very unusual for me. Every wedding I've been too has a registry and although money is a perfectly acceptable gift, registry gifts are the norm.

Susan

Gifts are given at showers, money/cards at weddings. That's the rule I was brought up with, and I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where a non-monetary gift was given, either. There is always the cute little holder (mailbox, wishing well, etc.) for the cards and no table for gifts.

Because really, you won't be invited to the wedding unless you are friends or family. :) Something off the registry always works!

If it's a business acquaintance, then prob $25-50.

Close friend once, but not now, same.

Close friend now, well I don't have any single friends. But $50-100.

Cousins I really only know their name - $25

Cousins I actually know but only see once in a while - $25-50

Cousins I am close with $50-100.

If (and when) my brother gets married, I may go over $100, if I have the money at the time.

We always give cash. How much depends on where we are financially and how well we know the couple. I also tend to go bigger when I know the couple really needs it (which I often have intimate knowledge of, because my dh is usually the marrying pastor).

:blink:

I am shocked by this.

What religion is this?

I always give cash for the wedding gift. The amount varies if it is dh and I or the whole family. So it is anywhere from $250-$400. The rule I was brought up with was "You cover your plate." Meaning the amount you give should cover the cost of feeding you at the event. I live in the Northeast. although, technically, I believe my State is considered Mid-Atlantic.

Shower/engagement gift is in the $50-$100 range, depending on how close I am with the couple.

This is a tough one. Our family all live about 1200 miles away so when my niece had her wedding our prewedding expenses were high. We had to pay for four people to travel to CO, hotel rooms for three nights, a junior bridesmaid dress for our daughter and a wedding gift. We told them before hand that part of our gift was getting to the wedding. The actual gift we gave was around $50, but our expenses were well over $1000. I can tell you they spent nowhere near $250 a person on my niece's wedding.

They also did the bride/groom dollar dance during the reception. The man who announced the dance also announced the amount 'required' to be placed in the hat before you got your dance. The amount was $25.We weren't going to participate but were pressured into it by the other guests. I danced with the groom, dd danced with the groom (and she was in the wedding party), dh danced with the bride and ds danced with the bride. The dance wasn't even a complete song, maybe about 60-90 seconds. $100 for about 5 mins worth of dancing.

My nephew is getting married in two weeks and we are anticipating a similar experience. We have to travel to CO, DD is a bridesmaid, a gift and misc expenses. We have asked to be put up somewhere this time to help reduce our expenses.

I told her the price range I normally move towards and she said, "Well, I figure if the people are paying a couple hundred dollars per person, they should be getting that back in gifts." :svengo: I disagreed and said if they throw an expensive wedding, that is their problem; it doesn't obligate the attendees to "reimburse" equal to their extravagance.

:iagree: Unless I know what they want and it fits within 20-40 maybe 50 dollars at the most, I will give a gift card. :001_smile: