Menu

Childhood books that "stick" with you

I'm just curious - there's no "hidden agenda" here - but what books did you read as a kid/teen that stuck with you or that you loved?

I'll start:

Summer of My German Soldier

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Where the Red Fern Grows

Misty of Chincoteague

The Black Stallion series

Ratha's Creature

Sweet Valley High (the early books)

Follow the River

This was just a list I came up with in under 30-45 seconds. If I took longer, the list would be a lot longer - I loved books as a kid.

I read these over and over when I was young. Some of them are "adultish."

My Side of the Mountain

Cold River

The Pink Motel

Baby Island

Lost Horizon

Little Women and Little Men

Miss Hickory

The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

The Diary of Anne Frank

Mary Stewart Books, especially Airs Above the Ground

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Heidi (and the sequels)

What Katy Did (and the sequels)

The Spartan Twins

The Secret Garden

Little House on the Prairie (whole series)

Little Women (whole series)

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

The Twelth Day of July (whole Kevin & Sadie series - set in N. Ireland )

My Darling Villain

Dear Comrade

One More River

I am starting to buy books I remember reading as a child for dd. It's funny - she is often resistant to reading something I suggest, but when I insist and make it "required reading" she ends up loving the same books I did.

Chronicles of Narnia

The Hero from Otherwhere

Anne of Green Gables (and its sequels)

Zenna Henderson's "The People" stories

Little Women

Victoria (by Barbara Brooks Wallace)

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver

Chronicles of Prydain (I might have loved these more than Narnia. My son loves them, too.)

A Wrinkle in Time (and its sequels)

Harriet the Spy (I know folks have issues with this one, and I haven't re-read it as an adult. But as a kid, it was the book that made me want to write.)

Those are the ones I thought of immediately. They are ones I think about often and that I think had a real influence on me in some way.

I read a lot of the others listed, too.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

My fourth grade teacher read several to us. There are a couple that I remember so well.

Wait for Me, Watch for Me, Eula Bee

Where the Red Fern Grows

I don't remember anything from Elementary School. I can't remember teacher names, friends, what we learned, nothing...except that my fourth grade teacher read aloud to us for 1 hour each day after lunch. She turned the lights down and told us we could rest or listen. Whichever. She read picutre books, chapter books, novels that took weeks. The last fifteen minutes of her reading, one student would quietly hand out orange popsicles. That is one reason why I homeschool, because I want my kiddos to remember being read to.

Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin

The Hobbit

Famous Five and Secret Seven series- Enid Blyton

The Magic Faraway Tree series- Enid Blyton

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

The Phantom Tollbooth

Charlottes Web

The Nargun and the Stars

Seven Little Australians

The Waterbabies

Dr Doolittle

Lots that have been listed already.

Alas, Babylon

The Giver

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Julie of the Wolves

Fahrenheit 451

Diary of a Young Girl (Anne Frank)

Emily books by L. M. Montgomery (I loved her so much more than Anne of Green Gables!)

Number the Stars

Shiloh

The Time Machine

To Kill a Mockingbird

War of the Worlds

Maybe not all children's books, but I read them all before I was 13, so they count as childhood memories for me. YMMV with this list, since my parents didn't censor my reading!

The Phantom Tollbooth

We read this in 10th grade English digging into the vocabulary related to all the people and place names. I remember it being a fun study, and that teacher had been one of my favorites. It's the only book I still have from my childhood.

The Endless Steppe

The Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood

The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary

All-of-a-Kind Family

ETA: Oh, and I forgot the Belgariad series by David Eddings. My cousin gave them to me when I was nine and they were my gold standard for fantasy series until I read Tolkien. :D

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

Off the top of my head

For littles:

One Horse Farm (which is coming back in print at Amazon!!!!)

The Outside Cat

For grade school:

Indian Paint

King of the Wind

For teens:

The Man Without A Face

This Stranger, My Son (a "grown up" book simply written by a mother whose first born grows up schizophrenic, in the 50s. Non fiction)

Anything by Kafka

Kristen Lavransdattar

The Alexandra Quartet

Crime and Punishment

In elem:

The Ramona books

Charlotte's Web

Little House books

A little Princess

The Secret Garden

Robinson Crusoe

Z is for Zaccariah

Where the Red Fern Grows

The Time Machine

Diary of Anne Frank

older:

The Color Purple

Sense and Sensibility

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

***and then I read a lot of garbage that I won't list, you know mind candy, and didn't get back to classics unless it was assigned or until after high school.

Elem:

Noddy

Secret Seven series

Fabulous Five series

(all of the above by Enid Blyton, my favorite children's author!)

And then many of the same others have mentioned

Middle School:

Flowers in the Attic (all of them!)

Everything Edgar Allen Po

Several already mentioned

I know there are more, but these are what immediately came to mind.

As a younger child:

All of the Little House series

All of the Ramona books

The Little Princess

Anything by Frank McCloskey

In the Night Kitchen

As an older child:

Summer of my German Soldier

Sunshine by Norma Klein

Fifteen by Judy Blume

Go Ask Alice

VC Andrews

I don't remember anything from Elementary School. I can't remember teacher names, friends, what we learned, nothing...except that my fourth grade teacher read aloud to us for 1 hour each day after lunch. She turned the lights down and told us we could rest or listen. Whichever. She read picutre books, chapter books, novels that took weeks. The last fifteen minutes of her reading, one student would quietly hand out orange popsicles. That is one reason why I homeschool, because I want my kiddos to remember being read to.

What a great experience!

Mary Stewart Books, especially Airs Above the Ground

One of my favorites that I still reread regularly is The Moonspinners. It was the only one of hers I read until I was an adult, though.

I am starting to buy books I remember reading as a child for dd. It's funny - she is often resistant to reading something I suggest, but when I insist and make it "required reading" she ends up loving the same books I did.

My Dd is the same way.:lol:

In addition to The Moonspinners my list would include:

Anne of Green Gables and all the sequels

Down the Long Hills (my first Louis L'amour book)

Safe as the Grave

Where the Red Fern Grows

Fur Trappers of the Old West

While My Pretty One Sleeps

Island of the Blue Dolphin

For me it is picture books that I remember most:

Miss Twiggley's Tree

The Fourteen Bears in Summer and Winter

The Spooky Old Tree

Fables

I also loved The Chronicles of Narnia, Encyclopedia Brown, The Indian in the Cupboard, and Dear Mr. Henshaw.

In no particular order:

-Gus the Friendly Ghost, and the whole Gus series. I about cried when I saw an old beat up copy at the library.

-Alex: The Life of a Child; I was probably too young when I read it but I will never forget it. I'm thinking of making DS read it when he complains about how hard his life is.

-The Secret Garden

-A Wrinkle in Time

-Little Bunny Follows His Nose; I bought this for the kids, but really for me.

-The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

-Ramona series

-Fudge series

- A big book of original Grimm's Fairy Tales; I loved the scary endings. I guess I was weird but DS likes them too.

-The Little House books

-Black Beauty

-The Black Stallion and series

-Bobsey Twins

-Bridge to Terabithia

-A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Those were mostly all books I read in elementary school or before.

After elementary school, my memory gets fuzzier, probably because I started to read more fluff like Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club, and true ghost stories and unsolved mysteries, and cheap romances. These are the few that stuck with me;

-The Jungle; scary

-Tess of the D'ubervilles

- Death of a Salesman

- A Separate Peace

-Night

-Endgame (Becket)

- Oedipus

Many already mentioned, and also:

Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn

Hitty

short stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer

To Kill a Mockingbird

The picture books I remember most are the Beatrix Potter books, Blueberries for Sal, Ping, and The Monster at the End of the Book.

Anne of Green Gables and as a teen, VC Andrews. I also read a lot of thing like Goosebumps as a child and really scary stories later when I was a teen.

When I was in elementary school, I got this book from a Scholastic book fair (or it might've been a Weekly Reader, I don't remember) that was called The White Stallion. It was maybe a 2nd grade book. I don't remember why I loved it so much, but I did. I kept it until I left for the military, and then my mom finally got rid of it. Wish I had it now to read to my DD who loves horses.

I just found it on Amazon, though, so maybe I'll get it for her. ;-) It's below her reading level, but it is such a sweet story.

Little Women

The Diary of Anne Frank

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (My mother had enjoyed this book as a child as well. When she saw I had it, she explained it's antisemitism. She skipped the condom rope Neely and Francie dangled out the window, as well as the molestation part; and let me just say those things went right over my head. It took me quite awhile to realize what touched her leg in the hallway was a male part. It took me years to figure out what Sissy made in the rubber factory.)

From the Mixed-Up Files

All -of-a Kind Family

Little House books

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

A series of books about teenagers and college students in the 1920' that my grandmother had. I loved those books, and I still can't figure out what they were, and nobody saved them. The teens went to plays in NYC, they went on ski trips, visited each other at college, they had 'beaus', they took sleigh rides in the snow...loved them. lol

As an oider child of 14, I could not get enough of To Kill a Mockingbird. I must have read that book 6 times that year.

As a very little child:

My mother was all about poetry, and mostly from The Childcraft encyclopedias we had. Before she read me books, she read me poetry. I still remember so many and I was very little. I didn't know Joyce Kilmer was a man, but I could recite his Trees poem. ;)

My mother read me the entire Mary Poppins series. We loved that Mary was such a snit, and she was a wizard..queen of them. ;) When I've reread Mary Poppins, I've sometimes thought of Professor Mcgonagall.

My favorite picture book was Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. I loved the description of the kids all warm and toasty in the school. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

As a very young child, my favorite picture books:

Each Peach, Pear Plum

Leo and the Lion

The Little House by Virginia L. Burton

I can't remember the name, but there was one about a grandma shrinking and coming through the phone?

Don't remember elementary.

Middle school:

Diary of Anne Frank

I can't remember the name or author but the pre-teen books about people who were really sick and dying? I think they were love stories? They were really popular at the time.

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The Face on the Milk Carton

Anne of Green Gables books/movies

High School:

Lori Wick books

Francine Rivers books, esp. The Scarlet Thread

What a great idea!

A lot of those already listed. I'll add Sherlock Holmes, Jack London and Jim Kjelgaard.

The book that I remember the best is "Justin Morgan had a Horse." I have loved horses all my life, but Morgans specifically. Someday, I am going to have a ranch and raise horses. :001_smile:

I'm just curious - there's no "hidden agenda" here - but what books did you read as a kid/teen that stuck with you or that you loved?

Anne of Green Gables (all)

From the Mixed-Up Files...

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

Go Ask Alice

Summer of My German Soldier

Cold Sassy Tree

Thursday's Child

A Wrinkle in Time

The Jungle

Animal Farm

Jacob Have I Loved

Of Mice and Men

I'm sure there are many more. Can't wait to read all the lists!

ETA: I loved the Sweet Valley High books, too. Liz and... what was the other sister's name?

I'm so glad you started this thread! It reminded me of one of my children's favorite books - The Children's Book of Virtues - I pulled it off the shelf this morning, and flipped through the pages with my 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter. They each picked their favorite story, and I read it to them. Aloud. And they didn't care. They liked it! I had the book tucked away for about 5 years, thinking they had outgrown it.

It was another sweet memory that we were able to enjoy, thanks to the Hive!

Don'tcha just love quality books?!

I was the same way as a kid when my mom recommended books to me. I'm starting to look at the books I refused to read now for my kids, though!

One of the things I like about homeschooling is the excuse to revisit all the books I loved when I was a kid.

Picture books for little ones:

Mrs. Duck's Lovely Day (My parents say I requested this one so much as a toddler that they actually memorized it, and I did too. I found a vintage copy and read it to my own children so much that it fell apart. It was their favorite too. I have no idea why we liked it so much.)

10 Rabbits (also published as Nine Rabbits and Another) (My mom says I actually "stole" this book from the store when I was a toddler, and she didn't realize I had it until we were on the way home, and we had to turn around and go back to the store to pay for it.)

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes (I remember that this book was so sweet it made me cry. The country bunny was so sweet and giving!)

My sister hated to read as much as I loved it, so to encourage her, our parents signed her up for a book club that mailed out a book per month. Of course, I read the books too. My favorites were:

Miss Suzy (I wanted a tree house like Miss Suzy's.)

The Wisest Man in the World (I loved the part about the bee.)

Old Black Witch![/URL] (I wanted to open a tearoom!)

Chapter Books for older kids/teens/adults:

The ones that would be familiar to most people:

The Secret Garden (I read this one boring summer that I spent at my grandparents' house.)

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (It got me interested in Renaissance art.)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (I became fascinated with Narnia.)

A Wrinkle in Time (This was my introduction to sci-fi, and I've loved it ever since.)

Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (As a youngster, I was entranced by all things pioneer, and this series was among the many, many books I read about pioneer days.)

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (I read these in middle school and was hooked.)

The ones you've probably never heard of:

Earthfasts by William Mayne (I was fascinated by the idea of time travel.)

The Secret Pencil by Anna Ward (also published as The Silver Pencil) (I loved the idea of interpreting clues to find treasure.)

Manhattan is Missing by E.W. Hildick (It piqued an interest in Siamese cats, and mysteries too.)

Missing Melinda by Jacqueline Jackson (The twins' names got me curious about Shakespeare.)

Goodbye, My Lady by James Street (I cry every time I read it. It's got to be one of the sweetest stories ever.)

Edited by ereks mom

Little House books

Ramona books

Betsy books by Haywood

Betsy-Tacy books

Katie John books

All of a Kind Family books

A Little Princess

On Thin Ice & Dead Birds Singing

Only My Mouth is Smiling and Crazy Quilt

Embarrassing to admit, but I did read ONE Lurlene McDaniel series.

Island of the Blue Dolphins.

We used to hike around cliffs and coves to get to my dad's fishing spot. He'd wonder off, and everyone else would crash out. It was very secluded.

I used to play for hours alone in the tide pools and caves. I would pretend I was her... mmmm those are great memories!

An elderly friend of my Mom's gave her some books when I was in grade school. My Mom read aloud to us a book about a little girl who looses her doll. Eventually she gets sick and her parents find a replacement doll and try to ding it up a bit to make her think it is her doll. It was a huge book with lots of pictures. I think it was called the Lost Doll, but I am not sure. Wonderful memories. I think it was set during the Victorian era.

Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm by Alice and Martin Provensen

The Year at Maple Hill Farm by Alice and Martin Provensen

I 'found' these a couple of years ago through SL and love them! My dc have already started designating which books they'll take with them when they leave home (yes, they are only 7 & 5 LOL) and I anticipate a big fight in about 10 years.