Menu

If you could only homeschool for 2 years, what grades would you pick?

I would love to homeschool but if I quit my job I probably will not be able to get hired back. (I work at a school district and would lose all my seniority.) However, I am able to take a leave of absence from my job for two years without losing my job or my seniority. I plan on afterschooling until I can homeschool.

So would it be better to homeschool the early elementary years, mid-elementary, middle school? I have two boys that are two years apart. I am leaning toward middle school so they would be in 5th and 7th grades then 6th and 8th grades. Any thoughts?

For my DS, probably K and 1st grade. He was very, very ahead of his classmates, when he was in a charter kindergarten, in terms of his reading skills, and it was just not a good experience. The teacher didn't know what to do with him, and he was bored and made trouble.

At this point, he's still reading a few grade levels ahead, but the difference is not nearly as pronounced as it was, and there's more students his age who are reading at his level or close to it. When he was in kindy, it was really a situation where nobody else in his class was reading with any fluency at all, and he was testing at a fifth-grade reading level. So I think he'd have a much easier time in school now than he would have his first couple of years, because those kinds of differences have evened out.

If that wasn't an issue, I don't know what years I'd pick. I'd probably lean toward the middle school years, as well.

7 & 8.

Me too, but I wonder if all kids would be conducive to homeschooling for just those 2 years- by then they would be well established in social groups- and there is the whole deschooling process to go through.

They would be my favourite years but not necessarily the most practical ones. I would do it sooner rather than put it off to later when it might not happen at all. A job is a job- after 2 years of homeschooling, anything could happen- or you might be willing to make anything happen to continue. Putting it off for 5 years might mean it just doesnt happen.

. I would do it sooner rather than put it off to later when it might not happen at all. A job is a job- after 2 years of homeschooling, anything could happen- or you might be willing to make anything happen to continue. Putting it off for 5 years might mean it just doesnt happen.

That is my thought as well. I would do it sooner rather then later - the future is hard to predict.

I would say 6 and 7. 8th grade seems to be a little more sane and also would give a kid a chance to adjust to changing classes before it "really counts" in high school. My 6th grade year was a social nightmare so that colors my opinion.

I would say 5th and 6th to catch any major academic issues before middle school and also to have a time to focus on character before it becomes entrenched.

This would be around my thought too. Catch them up from anything they lacked in elementary, get them ready for middle/high school.

I wouldn't decide far in advance but would reevaluate each year as they come. I found myself unexpectedly homeschooling 5th grade--a year I wouldn't have selected well in advance--because I had to get my daughter out of her elementary school. Spending time with a preteen girl was really valuable in many ways beyond academic.

My son is about to go to 5th grade and I have found so many gaps in his knowledge and understanding that I am currently planning a serious after-schooling program for him.

That said, I would really be interested in hearing some thoughts on why so many think 7/8 grades are the best for homeschooling.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I would click this 100000 times if I had the time.:lol:

:iagree:

7 and 8, absolutely. Especially after reading some recent threads here, elementary schools sound like they're doing much more than I realized. Middle school would be perfect for the situation you described. Then they could head to high school and take advantage of AP/Honors options well prepared. I've read over and over (and I've been a homeschooling research maniac for 8 years now) that middle school is academically a waste of time for many kids, not to mention the social issues with kids that age.

Congrats on your opportunity! :001_smile:

Edited by homeschoolally

Thanks for all the feedback confirming what we thought would be the best couple of years to homeschool. I forgot to list the specifics of our elementary school (300 students K-5 neighborhood school with good test scores) and our middle school (6-8, over 1000 students), but I think it supports homeschooling for middle school. I also think that it is easier to afterschool younger students and it takes less time. I am amazed at what my 4 year old has learned in the past five months since we started daily 15 minute reading lessons and occasional formal math lessons. Although he is an active boy, I am not so worried about kindergarten since it is half day and the way he is progressing he will be above grade level when he starts.

Me too, but I wonder if all kids would be conducive to homeschooling for just those 2 years- by then they would be well established in social groups- and there is the whole deschooling process to go through.

They would be my favourite years but not necessarily the most practical ones. I would do it sooner rather than put it off to later when it might not happen at all. A job is a job- after 2 years of homeschooling, anything could happen- or you might be willing to make anything happen to continue. Putting it off for 5 years might mean it just doesnt happen.

with peela, pretty much all the time, but especially about this. my first thought was "this year, and next year, because you just never know."

it would also depend on why you were doing it. for me, the relationships we built together in the early years of homeschooling mattered far more than any academic advantages they gained. (which were also significant). so i'd choose "the next two years" as its almost the end of the school year here....

hth,

ann

with peela, pretty much all the time, but especially about this. my first thought was "this year, and next year, because you just never know."

it would also depend on why you were doing it. for me, the relationships we built together in the early years of homeschooling mattered far more than any academic advantages they gained. (which were also significant). so i'd choose "the next two years" as its almost the end of the school year here....

hth,

ann

As a past middle school teacher...middle school is rough but, I think this goes back to when does your child need to be home schooled? For me, it happened at the 4th grade year because his 3rd grade year was so awful. You need to base it on your child's needs!

If you absolutely have to choose only two years, and know you will return to work, then I would agree with the consensus of 7th & 8th grades.

However, since you have two children, which of the two would you spend their 7/8 years with? I'd presume the eldest, and if so, I'd find it very difficult to go back to work and not want to homeschool the younger child for those two years as well.

I'm not sure why most everyone else chose 7/8, but for me, it would overwhelmingly be to help my child focus on academics and a great foundation for high school, while shielding them somewhat from the social aspects of middle school.

Personally, as a bright/gifted student in public school, I found middle school to be tortuous. In elementary school, there were some opportunities to work ahead of grade level, and teachers who were with me all day and so were able to give me at least a few minutes individual attention. By high school, I found my niche and was no longer so concerned about what other kids thought of me. But in middle school, being smart was a BIG social drawback and the resources and support from teachers were few and far between. Those two years, above all others, convinced me to homeschool my own children.

All that said, I will say again that I would have a very difficult time homeschooling my children for two years and then willingly returning them to public school (barring extenuating circumstances). So I think I agree with Peela and others that I'd probably opt to homeschool for the next two years and during that time re-evaluate whether I want to return to the workforce at all, while my children are school aged. I'd hate for you to wait until your children are middle school aged, homeschool them for two years, then decide you want to continue, and wish you had done it all along. There will always be a need for school employees, but our own children are only with us for such a short time. Just my two cents. I do realize that not all of us have the luxury of remaining out of the workforce indefinitely.

I would love to homeschool but if I quit my job I probably will not be able to get hired back. (I work at a school district and would lose all my seniority.) However, I am able to take a leave of absence from my job for two years without losing my job or my seniority. I plan on afterschooling until I can homeschool.

So would it be better to homeschool the early elementary years, mid-elementary, middle school? I have two boys that are two years apart. I am leaning toward middle school so they would be in 5th and 7th grades then 6th and 8th grades. Any thoughts?

Middle School hands down

I enjoyed third and fourth the most since the work was getting

more interesting as they could read - and they still were young enough to want to mummify chickens and other fun projects!

Otherwise - middle school so YOU can make sure they can write/read/do math before they hit high school. Plus those can be the hardest years to live through in a public school.