Menu

Am I the only one freaking out over filling up the gas tank?

I feel fortunate that DH's first job is only 2 miles from home, but his second is 20 miles. I am out a lot with DS for TKD, piano, co-op, etc. Plus, we live in Atlanta and anyone who lives in ATL knows that everything takes at least 30-45 minutes to get to.

My heart misses a beat when I wake up to the morning radio stating gas went up 9 cents overnight. But wait - I thought it just went up 6 cents overnight a couple of nights ago :svengo: I drive a Sienna and my last fill - up was yesterday and was just over the $60 mark. :w00t:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taking a bite here.

We have therapies that must be gotten to. A Tutor that is essential. And middle has to go to his golf lessons. (He really does. He's very very good. It's not his fault the only viable 1st Tee program is 45 mins away)

We have a Windstar that does pretty well gas mileage wise. We can't get a smaller vehicle because we wouldn't fit. We're tall, large framed people and there are five of us.

I am trying to cut back on grocery shopping trips and doing more things when I'm already out.

Fuel and groceries are concerning me quite a bit. Yes, we are making adjustments in driving. I combine trips as often as possible and eliminate extra trips when I can. We are not planning any summer intensives/camps unless carpooling becomes an option.

I'm not going to homeschool conferences/conventions because of fuel prices. I really wanted to attend one this year, but the closest is about 5-6 hours away. Fuel costs would take a bite out of my book budget!!

Question-does anyone know why this happens in the summer? I mean, is it really just coincidence that as the days get longer and people want to be out and about--the price of gas skyrockets?

I think demand does go up starting around Memorial Day, so it's a supply/demand thing. Also, here in CA at least, we have a summer fuel blend which is more expensive. It includes ethanol which I thought was cheaper. :confused:

You are not alone. I have always been one to try to be efficient with my outings but with the current price of gas I have been making more changes. I dropped the weekly gym class so that is one more day when i don't have to drive anywhere. I now wait at the Y for 3 hours while the kids have swim practice rather then driving dd home when she is done and going back for ds. It is a real pia in that it forces me to plan my days better but it is what needs to be done.

Not freaking out, but feeling a lot of sympathy for y'all.

Last month I filled my van for the last time, and when that tank runs out, I'm selling the vehicle. My plan had been to go vehicle-free last September, when my oldest went off to college, but the weather was unusually bad this winter, and it's still about 10* below our normal temperatures for this time of year (40s). So I kept putting off the off-load.

I am super fortunate in that I live exactly one mile from my work, which is another quarter mile away from the grocery store and the library. My employer has Zipcars, and I have a membership, so when I need a vehicle, I pay $8 / hour to use that fancy new Prius. (Gas and insurance are included in the cost of membership, which, for us, is $30 / year. BUT. They give you a credit of $30, so the first few times you use the car, you don't pay.) I will reserve the car for two or three hour time periods every other week to do big grocery shopping trips and other errands, and in between, walk or ride my bike. Crossing my fingers that the weather improves.

Going vehicle-free has been a crazy dream of mine for many years, but with younger children, I just couldn't do it. I only have one at home now, and his activities are within walking and biking distance. The increase in gas prices has sobered me, but also inspired me to take the leap. Living within my means will really only be possible if I do not own a car.

I had planned to put the money I would save on gas and insurance into savings; though, the way things are going, I might need it to feed us. I am starting seeds and have expanded my garden considerably.

OK here in Australia it is $1.50 a litre in the city which by my calculations is about $5.70 a gallon. ($US and $Au are similar right now) It has gone up from about $4.60 - $5.

You guys have had it good for a long time.

Anyone here heard of peak oil?

Even my gas- not petrol- just went up 10 cents a litre this week and cost me $10 more to fill up than 2 weeks ago.

I am honestly thinking of buying myself a small motorbike for short errands. Dh already has a motorbike. The days of cheap petrol are probably over- at least, in the next few years.

Ladies I am just flabbergasted at the state of the country. I feel like a prisoner. This is no longer the land of opportunity. We will be driving 500 miles each way for our beach trip this coming week and the thought of gas sickens me. How FREAKIN FRUGAL do I have to be? I mean how much sacrifice does it take? I hate this country right now.

OK here in Australia it is $1.50 a litre in the city which by my calculations is about $5.70 a gallon. ($US and $Au are similar right now) It has gone up from about $4.60 - $5.

You guys have had it good for a long time.

Anyone here heard of peak oil?

Even my gas- not petrol- just went up 10 cents a litre this week and cost me $10 more to fill up than 2 weeks ago.

I am honestly thinking of buying myself a small motorbike for short errands. Dh already has a motorbike. The days of cheap petrol are probably over- at least, in the next few years.

These are my thoughts as well. I wonder if we will look back at the 20th century and call it the Petroleum Age after it has passed, which is seems to be doing.

Ladies I am just flabbergasted at the state of the country. I feel like a prisoner. This is no longer the land of opportunity. We will be driving 500 miles each way for our beach trip this coming week and the thought of gas sickens me. How FREAKIN FRUGAL do I have to be? I mean how much sacrifice does it take? I hate this country right now.

You hate it for being so big that the beach is 500 miles away? ;)

I'm sorry you're upset, but the gas in your country (assuming you're in the US) is a whole lot cheaper than anywhere else on this planet.

Yes I feel pretty certain, based on things I've read, that we are past peak oil. I predict that gas will only continue to rise. This is going to affect everything as shipping will go up increasing the cost of everything we buy. Even the fertilizer that these huge corps use to grow large amounts of food is made from oil....... it's quite sobering to think we might get to a point where we can't afford to drive to the store to buy the things we need and want bc the prices have gone up so much due to the shipping costs. We are definetly extending our garden and have our house for sale. We will be looking for a place with about 5 acres so we can grow our own food, raise farm animals for meat and try to become more self sufficient.

You hate it for being so big that the beach is 500 miles away? ;)

I'm sorry you're upset, but the gas in your country (assuming you're in the US) is a whole lot cheaper than anywhere else on this planet.

(Libya is .17 cents. Venezuela is .12?) Yes, I know we are relativly inexpensive, but we're not the cheapest on the planet, just say'n.

(Libya is .17 cents. Venezuela is .12?) Yes, I know we are relativly inexpensive, but we're not the cheapest on the planet, just say'n.

Ah, you're right. But like Peela said, we've been enjoying lower prices than we should have been for a long time, not paying the real cost.

I'd rather pay twice what I pay now than live in Libya. And no, I'm not saying I "want" to pay more... but we've been paying on the low end for most industrialized countries for a long time, so it's not a real surprise to be paying more.

Yes I feel pretty certain, based on things I've read, that we are past peak oil. I predict that gas will only continue to rise. This is going to affect everything as shipping will go up increasing the cost of everything we buy. Even the fertilizer that these huge corps use to grow large amounts of food is made from oil....... it's quite sobering to think we might get to a point where we can't afford to drive to the store to buy the things we need and want bc the prices have gone up so much due to the shipping costs. We are definetly extending our garden and have our house for sale. We will be looking for a place with about 5 acres so we can grow our own food, raise farm animals for meat and try to become more self sufficient.

I can't ever decide if peak oil means I should move to a homestead or if it means I should move into a walkable town with a lot large enough for a garden.

I honestly haven't noticed much difference. Probably because my dh does all the driving and filling up. However, last time he filled up it was $40, which is what it was for us per tank last summer. He hasn't been doing deliveries as much, which is probably why it hasn't hit us harder yet.

However, we were considering moving back to our hometown but having dh keep his job. That would mean a twice a day 20 or 30 minute commute for dh at minimum, instead of a 2 or 4x/day 10-minute commute. We would be much closer to family and our rent would be cheaper, though. But since gas prices are going up, we're going to need to do some crazy calculations to see if this is feasible. :/ (And he can't change to a different work location, because he won't make enough money in our hometown.)

Ah, you're right. But like Peela said, we've been enjoying lower prices than we should have been for a long time, not paying the real cost.

True.

I'd rather pay twice what I pay now than live in Libya. And no, I'm not saying I "want" to pay more... but we've been paying on the low end for most industrialized countries for a long time, so it's not a real surprise to be paying more.

I don't disagree that we've been paying less, I was just saying that we're not the lowest.

Just for curiosity - not at all for snarkyness, :D is the income and other cost of living similar to the US in the countries where the gas prices are normally higher than gas prices in the U.S.?

That would be interesting to find out.

Just for curiosity - not at all for snarkyness, :D is the income and other cost of living similar to the US in the countries where the gas prices are normally higher than gas prices in the U.S.?

Interesting thought... wonder which one of us will look for the statistics. In the U.S., there are huge differences in cost of living between states and even cities in a state. I'm not sure how you'd even compare to other countries.

It's really tough!! Dh has actually had to stay home from work (and not get paid, hello???) because it was a day or 2 before payday and NO gas in either vehicle. We're trying to rework the budget... (*laughing hysterically at the word "budget"*) so that he can AFFORD to go to work. How crazy is that?? Argh!

Net incomes in France, Germany, etc are typically lower than in the US (especially after taxes). According to a recent article gas in Germany is $8.35/gallon right now. However, they have excellent public transportation, public health care, education is paid through university (as long as you get good grades, etc). Driving in Europe is pretty expensive. Getting your license is much more complicated (and expensive), insurance is more expensive, there are tons of toll roads, etc.

We have one van, a Honda Odyssey. Dh has a suburban but it is owned by our company (we are self-employed). We live 30-45 minutes from town, depending on where we are going in town. I have been budgeting $150 a month for gas, which would get me 3 tanks of gas. I've had to bump it up to $180 a month in order to get 3 tanks. I try to make each tank last about 10 days. This means I rarely make any kind of frivolous trip into town. Usually 1 trip for errands & 2 for Tae Kwon Do & that's it. Oh, we also drive to Co-Op on Mondays. If I run out of gas money before the end of the month I either pay for it out of my spending money or just stay home.

Nathan will not be doing swim team this summer because the daily trips to the pool would be to much. We already go to the pool 3x a week BUT swim team is daily & before the pool is open to the public. I just cannot do that much extra driving. I think it really stinks. :(

The current administration isn't against domestic drilling. Some GOP members have been telling untruths in that regard.

Well, shame on those old meany GOP members!!!;)

My problem is that I HEAR what the current Administration says. Then I look to SEE what is actually being done about our energy/economic crisis... they just don't match up.

There are "untruths" being told on both sides.

Well, shame on those old meany GOP members!!!;)

My problem is that I HEAR what the current Administration says. Then I look to SEE what is actually being done about our energy/economic crisis... they just don't match up.

There are "untruths" being told on both sides.

The article I linked is specifically talking about what has been DONE (with citations), not what has been said.

But petrol/gas is a fossil fuel. It is a limited resource, not an endless one. This had to happen- and people have been trying to warn us about this period of cheap oil coming to an end, for decades, but especially in the last decade.

You will find no other country has it any better than yours, as far as oil prices go. Even now.

Here in Australia we also have vast distances to travel. Dh and I were talking yesterday about how in Europe and many other places you can live walking distance from all amenities and never need a car your whole life. We live in a capital city here in Australia and still don't live walking distance from amenities, and the public transport is terrible (better than none though). Its hard to be car free here.

Ok, I'm very shocked by how much you are all paying for gas!

We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and Saturn Vue and spent $189 on gas in March. I drive all of the usual errands for groceries, library runs, etc. I also drive 21 miles each way on Wednesdays for swimming lessons. DH drives to clients, almost all of which are located 20 or more minutes away. He also drives DS9 to taekwondo lessons three times a week 20 miles away.

DD's commute is 90 miles round trip. We still pay for her gas while she's completing her paramedic training, but once hired, given that paramedics are payed rather poorly for their level of training and responsibility, it's going to take a real bite out of her income.

The good news is that the used Honda CRV we just bought is getting a solid 26 mpg around town and more on the highway. So, she'll have the four wheel drive she needs in the winter, but far better gas mileage than most AWD vehicles.

Faith

can anyone suggest a hybrid care that holds 8?

Our van, the one we've been lamenting because it doesn't hold us all, just got it's check up and it's going to need major repairs.......

We're holding out for DH to get a new job before we buy. But we're switching from looking at 15 passenger vans to thinking about something hybrid. More cost, but maybe it will pay for it's self in gas?

It's really tough!! Dh has actually had to stay home from work (and not get paid, hello???) because it was a day or 2 before payday and NO gas in either vehicle. We're trying to rework the budget... (*laughing hysterically at the word "budget"*) so that he can AFFORD to go to work. How crazy is that?? Argh!

This is what I've been wondering about. $700 is painful and I have to figure out how to drive less. But we CAN pay it. What about the folks who have long commutes like dh, and CAN'T afford the 100% increase in gas costs over the last 2 years?

In California at least, housing costs vary hugely based on how close you are to employment centers. It would be nice to tell people to live closer to their job - but the difference in rent might be $1000/month or more!

DH usually fills up the tanks of both our vehicles (Ford Taurus and Honda Odyssey), but today I had to fill up the mini van and was appalled at how much it took to fill up. I already go no where and we have no life. No field trips or educational outings for us. DH runs any errands on his way home from work. And because of the gas increase, we are feeling it in ALL areas of life (food and other necessities). Not freaking but not happy, either. :glare:

I thought everyone ditched their SUVs back in 2008 when we did this the last time! I drive a full-sized van, though, so we're hurting at the pump too.

They say gas may go up to $5 a gallon this summer, so that should be interesting to see. Doesn't seem to lessen the traffic on the roads, though.

The article I linked is specifically talking about what has been DONE (with citations), not what has been said.

You got me. This Administration really does love to "Drill here, drill now! I believe!!

(Hormonally, I should know better than to say anything else tonight. It's one of those nights where I had better just keep my mouth shut. I have backspaced and deleted so many times, my pinky has a blister.) :D Love you, Mrs. Mungo!!!!

To the OP, sorry to have gotten off topic there. My husband is 6'8" and he doesn't fit into anything comfortably. Our Ford F-250 diesel pick-up is guzzling the gas and we are definitely feeling it. Unfortunately, dh will not fit into a Prius!:auto:

To the OP, sorry to have gotten off topic there. My husband is 6'8" and he doesn't fit into anything comfortably. Our Ford F-250 diesel pick-up is guzzling the gas and we are definitely feeling it. Unfortunately, dh will not fit into a Prius!:auto:

also off topic...My dh isn't that tall, but tallish. When we last went shopping for a car, we tried to look at a Saturn. My dh got in the car and had the seat all the way back but wasn't fitting (long legs). He didn't know the seat was all the way back and tried to push it back more when something made a pop noise :001_huh:. The look on the car salesman's face was horrific! He actually commented that this car was not a good fit for us. No kidding?!

also off topic...My dh isn't that tall, but tallish. When we last went shopping for a car, we tried to look at a Saturn. My dh got in the car and had the seat all the way back but wasn't fitting (long legs). He didn't know the seat was all the way back and tried to push it back more when something made a pop noise :001_huh:. The look on the car salesman's face was horrific! He actually commented that this car was not a good fit for us. No kidding?!

Some people just don't fit into small cars! When dh and I started dating, I had a 4-door Honda. He had to push the seat all the way back and then almost lay it down to fit. I remember the first time we went through a fast food drive-thru - he paid through the driver's side backseat window.

He's always done things big, though. On our first date, he brought me a basket of flowers - not just a little handful.:001_wub:

Some people just don't fit into small cars! When dh and I started dating, I had a 4-door Honda. He had to push the seat all the way back and then almost lay it down to fit. I remember the first time we went through a fast food drive-thru - he paid through the driver's side backseat window.

He's always done things big, though. On our first date, he brought me a basket of flowers - not just a little handful.:001_wub:

AWWW! how sweet.