Menu

Settle the "discussion" over bed sheet placement

How do you make a bed?  

1. 1. How do you make a bed?

• Sheets have right sides together
    • Top sheet has right side up
    • We only use white sheets so we don't have this problem.
    • We only use solid color sheets so we don't have this problem.
    • We do not use sheets at all on our bed.
    • Oh, for the love of all that is holy, just make the bed already
    • Other

I have worked at several hotels as a maid and having the right sides together is how they do it.

They would also use a light blanket put almost up to the top and turn the edge over the blanket. This covers the "wrong" side f the sheet and you don't see it. Just the nice pattern of the edge of the sheet!

It really depends on the sheets. My brother in law (who is a stickler for things like this) insists that the right sides should go together because that side of the top sheet is softer; thus, you have the softer sides of the sheets touching your body vs. the rougher side.

I personally have only solid sheets and like the way it looks better the other way.

I think it's all just personal preference. I guess the only folks you have to worry about are guests and if they complain about something like that I would send them packing to a hotel. ;)

I have worked at several hotels as a maid and having the right sides together is how they do it.

They would also use a light blanket put almost up to the top and turn the edge over the blanket. This covers the "wrong" side f the sheet and you don't see it. Just the nice pattern of the edge of the sheet!

:iagree: However, I never worked at a hotel. My grandma was very particular, and insisted on it being done that way. My mom taught me to make beds like this, though she wasn't as particular. My husband doesn't care, as long as the bed is made.

I could have picked several answers, but went with "For the love of all that is holy!" 'cause really, WHO CARES. Okay, maybe Grandma. IF Grandma was coming (which would be very disturbing and somewhat macabre in my case), I'd make it Grandma's way (right sides together). Most of our sheets are white, and whites and solids are convenient for making this a non-issue. But really, short of guests, as long as the bed it made, it JUST DOESN"T MATTER. ;)

I don't fold back the top sheet but place it even with the head of the mattress. So I put it right side up.

If I did, in fact, fold back the top sheet, then yes, it would be right sides together with the bottom sheet.

My mother used to fold back the top sheet, but that meant that the foot came untucked all the time. I hated fixing that every morning, so I've always left lots of sheet down at the foot of the bed instead of at the head.

I don't fold back the top sheet but place it even with the head of the mattress. So I put it right side up.

If I did, in fact, fold back the top sheet, then yes, it would be right sides together with the bottom sheet.

My mother used to fold back the top sheet, but that meant that the foot came untucked all the time. I hated fixing that every morning, so I've always left lots of sheet down at the foot of the bed instead of at the head.

I voted "for the love of all that is holy" because that's how I feel these days, but if I was to pick something, it would be what Ellie said. All of it, including the mom and the untucked foot.

Thanks for taking time to settle this.

Now that we have gone to separate bedrooms and beds it really is a non-issue because I refuse to make dh's bed. But he seems to short-sheet himself somehow and the placement and direction of the top sheet came into question last night. He said that my way of making the bed (right sides together) was nuts and I'm the only one who would do such a thing.

:iagree: I worked at a hotel too, and we talked about things like this in our meetings. :lol:

I voted other because on my bed we only use white sheets so I really don't give a hoot, and neither does dh as long as there is something on the mattress.

The kids only use a flat sheet and a comforter so there's no matching to do, but if they used a top sheet we'd only have solid colors so it again wouldn't matter.

One of us says bed sheets face right sides together so that when the top sheet is turned down the pattern matches the bottom sheet.

Of course the other says the top sheet wrong side is against the bottom sheet right side.

Poll to follow.

Chucki, I skewed the results!!! I don't think my one vote will matter too much, but I meant to say right sides together and instead I clicked top sheet with right side up. :001_huh:

The right sides go together so that when you turn down the top the right side shows. I am pretty sure Martha Stewart's bedmaking video says the same.

She does!

She also says that if there is no decorative trim or design on the top sheet, then it doesn't matter if it's right side up or down.

I just saw this on her show about a month ago.

:)

I put right sides together. I don't turn over any extra sheet because I like them even at the top.

I like to see the pretty side when I turn down the bed for the night, and have the pretty side so I can see it.

But in the GSoT (Great Scheme of Things) who cares!

I voted 'we don't use sheets', but that's not technically true. We do not usually use a top sheet.

That's us, too. Mattress protector, fitted sheet, duvet with cover. Any sheets flapping around would drive DH completely nuts.

However, to the OP's question.. "right" sides together gets my vote.

wow. i *never* considered putting the top sheet on 'upside down' [right sides together] lol. But then again, I don't 'turn down the bed'... and rarely even MAKE the bed.

when I DO bother making the bed, I like to turn back the top sheet and comforter, place the pillows on, just barely overlapping the turned back sheet/comforter, then fold the sheet/comforter back over the pillows so they are covered. So, no pattern visible anyway.

and in summer in TX, sometimes we don't even have a comforter on the bed-- just the top sheet. so- pattern on top. :)

but i prefer solid color/white sheets anyway....

I chose "other" because we use a fitted bottom sheet and a comforter or blanket that is washed way more often than I "make" the bed :tongue_smilie: Every single person in this house is a very restless/moving around a lot sleeper. When I was a kid I hated top sheets because they would get twisted around and I would wake up feeling trapped. My ds1 has the same problem. So no top sheet. But if I was making the bed for someone else, it would DEFIANTLY be right sides together. I learned that from my Granny :D

You actually notice?

I don't understand the whole "making the bed" thing.

Why "make" the bed when you're just going to mess it up again to sleep?

My side has a sheet. My dh's side has a sheet and 4 blankets. I don't want any blanket touching my side of the bed because I'm already hot and don't need anything else to increase my temperature.

You actually notice?

:cheers2:

unmade beds collect less dust mites too! It's true.

Now if I am planning to hang out in the bedroom to do other things I like to make the bed. It is pretty and nice to sit on or fold laundry. But right now I don't even have that option since I don't own a pretty duvet or comforter. It wasn't worth buying one that would be used 5 times a year or so.

I chose, ". . .just make the bed already." I really don't care which way the sheet goes on the bed as I rarely make the bed and the sheets and covers are usually balled up in the middle of the bed anyhow.

When I was younger my parents and grandparent either used bedspreads which completely covered the sheets and pillows or they pulled the comforter or other bed covering up to the tops of the bed and put the pillows on top of that so you still couldn't see the sheets. In those days most of them put the sheets both ride side up.

Now days, if I was going to make a bed, I would put right sides together if I was going to turn down the sheets but right sides up if I was going to pull the comforter to the top and put the pillows on top of that.

Umm, because the room looks horrible with the bed unmade. I make my bed for the same reason I shut a cabinet or a closet door after I open it. I just cannot stand the look of disorder or clutter. I like the rest of the house to be neat and orderly too, so maybe that's why.

I'm not saying you have to make yours, but I wouldn't skip making my bed unless I were sick (because I'd be using the bed).

I've attached photos for contrast.

post-1122-13535084616702_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535084617072_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535084616702_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535084617072_thumb.jpg

Edited by nestof3

Umm, because the room looks horrible with the bed unmade. I make my bed for the same reason I shut a cabinet or a closet door after I open it. I just cannot stand the look of disorder or clutter. I like the rest of the house to be neat and orderly too, so maybe that's why.

I'm not saying you have to make yours, but I wouldn't skip making my bed unless I were sick (because I'd be using the bed).

I've attached photos for contrast.

I really appreciated the photos...

then I see that you are using tricks like on weight loss ads. In the first photo the lights are off and the exercise machine is in the shot. In the second photo, the machine is cut out of the shot and the room is nice and bright. :lol:

But, actually, I agree with you.:D If one spends any time in the bedroom then making the bed makes it nicer and more cheery. If I moved a bed into the bedroom downstairs I would buy something nice for it and keep it made.

I really appreciated the photos...

then I see that you are using tricks like on weight loss ads. In the first photo the lights are off and the exercise machine is in the shot. In the second photo, the machine is cut out of the shot and the room is nice and bright. :lol:

But, actually, I agree with you.:D If one spends any time in the bedroom then making the bed makes it nicer and more cheery. If I moved a bed into the bedroom downstairs I would buy something nice for it and keep it made.

It wasn't intentional; no tricks intended. I didn't have any prior photos of the bed complete with the treadmill in the photo. That photo was taken back when the room was finished.

The other photo was taken this morning, and opening the blinds is part of our making the bed routine, so I didn't even think about it. ;)

I also cannot abide towels not hanging straight on the rod, clothes on the floor, dishes in a sink, etc. I's probably just part of my personality.

It wasn't intentional; no tricks intended. I didn't have any prior photos of the bed complete with the treadmill in the photo. That photo was taken back when the room was finished.

The other photo was taken this morning, and opening the blinds is part of our making the bed routine, so I didn't even think about it. ;)

Oh I didn't think so, it just struck me funny.

I also cannot abide towels not hanging straight on the rod, clothes on the floor, dishes in a sink, etc. I's probably just part of my personality.

That kind of thing does make a huge difference.