Menu

GOODWILL!? WHY have I waited so long to pass thru those doors?

WOW! I cannot BELIEVE that place! I"ve never been to a Goodwill store. Don't know why; I guess I just never thought of it before, and we didn't really have one nearby until a couple of years ago.

So Dd needs a new suit for junior handling (dog show) for the summer shows. She's so tall that I was thinking I could get her into a ladies petite size, but was NOT excited about spending big money on one that she'd outgrow by fall. Suddenly it dawned on me--- GOODWILL!

Seriously, I could have spent all afternoon there! We found dd a gorgeous Liz Claiborn short sleeved suit in a muted spring green with a cute little pale blue shell to go underneath, all for $10! I almost bought a drop-dead gorgeous dark blue wool Laura Ashley suit, but didn't.... not the right season, sigh. I swear, I don't think it was ever worn!

I"m now a Goodwill junkie. I think I see an intervention in my future. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I'm with you. I spent so long in one lately that my dh left and filled up the car with gas. When I came out, he was gone. I called him on his mobile phone and said, "I never thought it would end this way, leaving me at the Goodwill." LOL.

He did come back!

I'm a Goodwill junkie too. Ours has 1/2 off every Wednesday and I try to make it at least once a month. I have found fabulous things when i take the time to prowl.

REALLY?! HALF-OFF EVERY WEDNESDAY???!!!!! NO WAY!!!

Forget the library. I think I"m going to set up camp in the Goodwill parking lot. :D If anyone needs me, that's where I"ll be.

Our Goodwill's have .50 sales for certain color tags every Sunday and Monday. I love it. I'm really picky about what I buy, but I always find something great.

Oh, and the books are .50 for paperbacks and 1.00 for hardbacks. I've found some great deals there.

There is literally a mob of people waiting to get into ours every week, thankfully the store is huge.

I discovered ours after having my weight loss sugery. Like I could afford to buy a new wardrobe every 20 lbs or so. I've lost 4 pants sizes in the past year. Every Friday I drop the kids off at Grandma's house and swing by goodwill to see what I can find. Every other Friday is half price clothing :D I've found NEW jeans for 3.50. I LOVE that place.

On the flip side, it makes me sad that our society has gotten to the point where we just get rid of clothing so freely. But hey, I'm ready for the leftovers!

That is too funny that you posted this. I went there today for my first time and found a complete set of Audubon nature encyclopedias for $4. I guess Fridays they do something with the color of the price tag and these books had a good color I guess. They had some great clothing as well. I'll be back next week to see what there is. I could join that intervention with you, lol.

OH WOW....GOODWILL HAS WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY? i"M SO THERE! WHERE DO I SIGN UP???!!!! HALF-OFF EVERY FRIDAY? I THINK I COULD STAND TO LOSE HALF OF ME! :drool5::w00t:

Somebody slap me--- I'm clearly becoming hysterical over my new love:willy_nilly:

OH WOW....GOODWILL HAS WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY? i"M SO THERE! WHERE DO I SIGN UP???!!!! HALF-OFF EVERY FRIDAY? I THINK I COULD STAND TO LOSE HALF OF ME! :drool5::w00t:

Somebody slap me--- I'm clearly becoming hysterical over my new love:willy_nilly:

Pull yourself together!!:lol:

I love thrift shops. I have one near me (not Goodwill) that twice a year has an end of season clearance - all clothes are $.50. MY kids LOVE to go - they get lots of neat things for the next year. And the clothes are much better quality than I could afford brand new.

WOW! I cannot BELIEVE that place! I"ve never been to a Goodwill store. Don't know why; I guess I just never thought of it before, and we didn't really have one nearby until a couple of years ago.

So Dd needs a new suit for junior handling (dog show) for the summer shows. She's so tall that I was thinking I could get her into a ladies petite size, but was NOT excited about spending big money on one that she'd outgrow by fall. Suddenly it dawned on me--- GOODWILL!

Seriously, I could have spent all afternoon there! We found dd a gorgeous Liz Claiborn short sleeved suit in a muted spring green with a cute little pale blue shell to go underneath, all for $10! I almost bought a drop-dead gorgeous dark blue wool Laura Ashley suit, but didn't.... not the right season, sigh. I swear, I don't think it was ever worn!

I"m now a Goodwill junkie. I think I see an intervention in my future. :tongue_smilie:

I'd go back for the Laura Ashley suit. Have it cleaned and bagged and it's ready for fall! I guarantee you, it won't still be there next week, much less in six months!

I'd go back for the Laura Ashley suit. Have it cleaned and bagged and it's ready for fall! I guarantee you, it won't still be there next week, much less in six months!

That's all I needed! I'm so there tomorrow morning! :-)

Astrid

I discovered ours after having my weight loss sugery. Like I could afford to buy a new wardrobe every 20 lbs or so. I've lost 4 pants sizes in the past year. Every Friday I drop the kids off at Grandma's house and swing by goodwill to see what I can find. Every other Friday is half price clothing :D I've found NEW jeans for 3.50. I LOVE that place.

On the flip side, it makes me sad that our society has gotten to the point where we just get rid of clothing so freely. But hey, I'm ready for the leftovers!

You go girl!! I bet you just loved getting into smaller and smaller sizes. I'm proud of you. And, its been a while since I have been there so I need to check it out myself.

I frequent our GW for books. I've found many treasures there. Kids books are 3/$1.00. I buy much of our dc clothing and shoes there as well. BUT, the furniture prices are out of this world! I can frequently be heard walking through the furniture aisle muttering, "Who do they think they are...Macy's?" under my breath! Seriously, they mark prices on furniture so high you wonder why people would even want to buy it! Our GW sells Target goods that haven't sold in the store. I'm a Target shopper so I know Target prices. It floors me when I see a Target item marked higher at GW than it was originally at Target! For shame! Oh, and they have a rack for "boutique" childrens clothing priced higher than the "normal" clothes. My question: Since when does Faded Glory quality as "boutique"? :confused:

This is so funny, as I discovered a GoodWill today I hadn't seen before. I was on my way home, but thought I'd just stop in to see if maybe they had a yogurt maker...

Needless to say I was home late! No yogurt maker, but some jeans that actually fit. (I have a drawer full of too-small ones. I refuse to buy new ones that fit, though, because that would feel like defeat... I won't be this size forever, right???) Also found some corduroy pants, a nice shirt, a garlic keeper, a spare jar for my blender, some mixing bowls, and a Roemertopf (cool clay cooking pot thing like my mom has...have wanted one for while, actually.) All pink tags were half off today, too. :) (All of the clothes and the mixing bowls had pink tags. Woohoo!)

I could've spent longer, but forced myself away.:D

Kelsy

My best Goodwill discovery was after Christmas one year. That Goodwill also got returns from Target and I bought a brand new entire 12 pc Calphalon set of cookware for 35.00! The set retailed for 250.00 at the store. I guess someone decided they wanted the money more than new cookware.

One time a friend of mine found three packages of still sealed up in the original wrapper sets of, are you ready for this, the audiobooks of SOTW3. She bought one and called me. I bought the other two. I kept one and traded the other to *anj* for a violin.

Pssst! Hey Astrid? You 'wake? You've got to get moving, girl. Goodwill Roadtrip #2 beckons! :D

Have fun. Ours is the next town over (but, almost everything is the next town over!) -- just 15 minutes away. I've scored some major deals there. Glad you've made the same discovery!

We went just tonight (I'm a cheap date!). I bought two shirts and a pair of brand-new jeans for ds10 for $10. I've also discovered their $2.00 bags of yarns. I bought 6 skeins of the exact same yarn (enough to actually make something!) for $4! Try buying a hand-knit item for that price!

Yarn...6 skeins for $4 dollars. Our local Goodwill is busier than snow-cone stand in Yuma, but I brave the crazies every now and then. I had no idea about those sales!

Pssst! Hey Astrid? You 'wake? You've got to get moving, girl. Goodwill Roadtrip #2 beckons! :D

I'm awake.....and I'm on my way out the door! After reading all these great posts, I'm going to wander out of the clothes section! I've never been over there! <wide eyes>

I"ll stop at the dry cleaners on the way out of town and drop off Molly's dog showing suit, and after that, dh and dd will be lucky if they see me again before supper time! :D

My dd is in a school play next week, and needed a "professional" outfit to appear as an on-air newscaster. Despite my dd's scorn at the very idea, I took her to Goodwill first ...and we promptly found a like-new, A-line, lined, black wool skirt and a gorgeous teal blouse for...$6 total.

Now if only I could convince her to get all her teen clothes at Goodwill.;)

Guest Lil' TX Schoolhouse

I enjoy our Goodwill. Ours has $.99 Sundays where certain colored tags are on sale. I have picked up Guess, Edie Bauer, Addidas and more for $.99. on the first Saturday of every month they have a 50% off sale. EVERYTHING in the store is 50% off, including furniture. My mom has picked up some great bookshelves and filing cabinets. I have found tons of classic books. I guess the local highschoolers ditch 'em after they have finished thier assignments. I get them for a song. It's like treasure hunting!:D

I've been looking closely at our budget and maybe I need to give Goodwill another try. A friend of mine stops there at least weekly and she once bought my ds a BRAND NEW (looking at least ) suit for $5. It was a JCP suit that I have paid $60 for. Whenever I go to Goodwill, I just can't seem to find things that 'grab me.' Maybe I need to readjust my viewpoint. I'm a total smells person, and frankly I think thrift stores stink!

Hmmmm....dh is out of town....maybe ds and I will venture into town today and give Goodwill a look. I bet Saturdays are busy....but oh well. Oh, ds8 btw, LOVES Goodwill. And yardsales...he is a total bargains junkie.

My dd is in a school play next week, and needed a "professional" outfit to appear as an on-air newscaster. Despite my dd's scorn at the very idea, I took her to Goodwill first ...and we promptly found a like-new, A-line, lined, black wool skirt and a gorgeous teal blouse for...$6 total.

Now if only I could convince her to get all her teen clothes at Goodwill.;)

Yes, that was my impetus to go to Goodwill! Molly is moving up the ranks in Junior Handling (dog showing) and needed a more professiona, "business suit" type outfit for the show ring. I was NOT about to buy a new one for a nearly-eleven-year-old, but was in a dither as to what to do-- until I was stopped in traffic yesterday, glanced to my right, and there, like a shining beacon on a hill, sat GOODWILL! I'd never been to one before, but wow--- I'm a convert! :-)

I absolutely LOVE to shop at Goodwill! They have such great deals!!! I buy good quality clothes for my kids and myself soooo much cheaper than shopping retail! And not only clothes, but books, shoes, purses, home decor..... Did I mention I love Goodwill???? lol!

I love Goodwill! Found all my phfaltzgraph dishes at that store... paid a fraction of what it would have cost. Its taken about 4 years but I am well stocked!

The books I find and the prices are amazing! lost of good stuff... Some peoples junk becomes my treasure! *Ü*

Same here. Goodwill is expensive compared to The Salvation Army. On one of my last trips I remember thinking "When did jeans get so expensive?" I used to pay $3 for designer jeans at Goodwill. Now they're up to $6-9. Still a deal, don't get me wrong. But you know you've been shopping at Goodwill a long time when you have a "I remember when..." moment.

I've been looking closely at our budget and maybe I need to give Goodwill another try. A friend of mine stops there at least weekly and she once bought my ds a BRAND NEW (looking at least ) suit for $5. It was a JCP suit that I have paid $60 for. Whenever I go to Goodwill, I just can't seem to find things that 'grab me.' Maybe I need to readjust my viewpoint. I'm a total smells person, and frankly I think thrift stores stink!

:iagree: The smell really turns my stomach at our Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. I know I could get good deals there if I'd forge on, but I can't do it!

Haha....yes, I've said those same words before!! My good friend let me in on the secret. Isn't it fun?

Unfortunately, Goodwill stores vary and right now we live near a dud.

Happy shopping! But be warned: all department stores will be difficult to handle now. The thought goes: "What?! They want $35 for that? I could get one of those at Goodwill for $3!" I'm ruined on mall shopping forever.

hmm... I think our Goodwill prices things way too high, but after reading this thread, I may need to go and check it out again.

LauraD in MN

Maybe it is a MN thing. Our GW is outrageous on their prices and the ladies that work there are sometimes very rude.

One day I was in there and they had some type of baby bouncy seat marked at $50! A lady looked at it and told them you could buy the same one new for $35. The clerks told her she didn't know what she was talking about and then proceeded to loudly talk about "people who come into the store and expect everything to be pratically free". I haven't been in there since and this wasn't the first time I have seen things way over priced and the clerks rude to people who question the pricing.

You all are lucky to have good GW! Enjoy them because it is fun when you find some great bargins. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a sensitive smeller.:001_smile:

After reading this, though, maybe I'll try again!

Melissa

Melissa, it's an acquired smell. It's worth it. We are lucky to have several really great thrift stores that fall into our normal range of activities. I cannot believe some of the things I've found over the years. And, yes, initially, I was turned off by the smell (it IS a special kind of smell, isn't it?).

My favorite finds? Our dining room table - very large farmhouse table in serious need of refinishing - $6. After refinishing? Total cost (minus my labor) $30. Last year, a brand new set of patio furniture (local home show donates their show rooms) for $250 - couch, two chairs, ottoman and all the cushions still in their original plastic! Books - too many to count, many first editions. Clothing - if you're patient and not looking for something specific but trying to build a wardrobe, this is the way to shop. I have mostly high quality pieces of clothing, bought for pennies, but you have to be willing to hit the shops every 1-2 weeks. When I first started thrift shopping, I bought a popcorn air-popper for $1. I figured if I got a couple of uses out of it, lucky me. We're still using it nearly 13 years later! LOL

I find keeping a list of things I'm on the lookout for in my purse helps. Just stop in when you can - better if you can do it without kids. You'll be amazed at what you find.

[quote=Ms. Riding Hood;206685

Happy shopping! But be warned: all department stores will be difficult to handle now. The thought goes: "What?! They want $35 for that? I could get one of those at Goodwill for $3!" I'm ruined on mall shopping forever.

My teen girls are ruined forever, too. Their grandma took them on a shopping trip and told them she would spend $100 on them. When they came home from this trip, I asked them to show me their loot. When I remarked at how I was surprised to see how little they got, they said they just couldn't bring themselves to buy a few expensive items when they would get so much more at Goodwill. They got a few things then saved the rest for thrift shopping!

Sometimes I wonder if they have any of my genetic material. I mean, I am a thriftaholic, but if someone would take me out and fork out $100 I would be buying something I would not usually get for myself!

Maybe their future husbands will be really happy!