Menu

Showing a home and shoe covers

How would you feel as a prospective buyer of a home if you were asked to don disposable shoe covers before walking through the house? Our old home will, Lord willing, be ready to show by the end of this month. The hardwoods are newly refinished and the carpet will be brand new. Obviously, I'd like to keep it that way. :-) I've discovered that I can purchase disposable anti skid shoe covers for a nominal fee and would like to have them available as soon as visitors to the house walk in the door. I'm thinking of leaving a little note to the effect that we request they either 1) remove their shoes or 2) don the shoe covers. What do you think? If you think this is reasonable, please also share any ideas for how you think the note could be worded...

TIA! Sharon (who is absolutely thrilled out of her mind that we're close enough to be asking things like this about the house going on the market!!!)

Personally, I think it is a good idea. I went to a friend's house who was doing the same thing. There was a big basket by the door with a sign.

I can't recall what the sign said. It was something like this: "Please wear these over your shoes to protect the newly redone floors."

Thanks for posting. I called my real estate agent this morning and she responded with, "Well, I've never seen it done before but you could set a new trend." :-) Like you, I think it makes sense. I was in one home when looking for ours that requested we remove our shoes. I'd prefer to don a shoe cover, myself. I'd like to think that prospective buyers would appreciate our desire to keep the home nice.

Good luck finishing everything up.

Thanks! We decided last evening to hire out the remaining 1300 sq ft left to be painted. We're exhausted from all the renovating (1 1/2 years and counting) and the market is picking up around here (two homes in the old neighborhood have been on the market for 6 months - one sold this week and the other has obvious traffic). We decided the painter can finish sooner than us so hopefully the outgo will be recouped with an earlier sell!

Honestly, I would feel uncomfortable about it and it would turn me off to your house. What you are trying to do is get your prospective buyers to see themselves in your house, to make them feel as at home as possible (hence, removing pictures of your family). Having to put on shoe covers before entering would make me feel like an intruder, or a hired worker (since that is who usually uses them), it would not make me feel at home. It would also make me feel less comfortable to really look around your house. I know it sounds like a good idea, but I think it will turn off buyers (even if only subconsciously). I've sold several homes and the buyers really are respectful. I've never had a buyer leave dirt on my floors, I think they are polite enough on their own to take their shoes off if they are dirty. But I would never make them feel that they couldn't wear shoes in their possible future home. I hope this doesn't offend you, but I hope you sell your house quickly and at a great price, and in doing so you have to tread very carefully around the feeling you are creating in your home for the buyer. HTH

Melissa

I was asked to put on shoe covers at a house I looked at once. I wasn't offended or put out in the least. I thought it was a great idea. I would just set out a basket of them with a sign that said something like "Newly redone floors--please help protect them for the future homeowner." Maybe you could set out a little bowl of wrapped candies as a thank-you also?

Best of luck with selling your home!

Our house was empty when we bought it, but the carpet was new. They had plastic down - it was adhesive backed and did the job.

I'm not sure how it that would stay looking though when you were living in the house. We kept parts up for awhile while i hunted runners, and they did ok for the short term.

If the realtor doesn't have an issue with it - then i'd say you are ok!

Good luck!

Only it was to remove shoes. We were fine with it. I think the sign said something about keeping our future home clean. Of course the day we saw that house it was raining cats and dogs! But we were not offended in the least.

I had a harder time in the parade homes donning the shoe covers. They were more rude or something about it. I don't think a "can I just remove my shoes?" was met with an ok. It was shoe covers or no entry.

We've been house hunting recently, and maybe 20% of the homeowners ask for visitors to remove their shoes (shoe covers would do the same thing, we've never been presented with that option). Usually the the sellers make the request through their realtor, and our realtor is very respectful of it. When we approach the door, he looks at his notes and says, "This owner has asked us to remove shoes." in the same way he would say, "This owner has the family dog in the garage during the showing." No problems at all.

We had one owner with too many notes on the hall table, large type "Please remove shoes" along with other instructions. I noted it and thought that the owner should let it go, but it didn't affect my opinion of the house. I'm buying a house, not making friends with the owner.

Beth

the plastic paths laid through the house. It didn't offend me, since I understood what they were trying to do. If I was going to buy the house, I would want the carpet to still look brans new.

I think the shoe covers would be easier than untying and tying shoes to take them off and put them back on.

We're in rain country, so I'm used to seeing a basket of shoe coverings at open houses or a note to please remove shoes. One note that I recall said something about removing shoes to protect "your" future carpets. My dc don't like wearing shoes at home, so they're more than happy to take off their shoes! I always wear shoes that slip off easily and make sure that my socks are in good condition since I fully expect to remove my shoes!

I would make this suggestion. From what I've seen at open houses, it would be a good idea to have a chair or bench near the basket of shoe protectors...you don't want an older person or someone with bad balance to topple over while trying to put them on or trying to re-tie their shoes!

Good luck!

One more thing. I would ask that everyone remove their shoes *and* wear covers. That's what's done here. For one thing, some people might be barefoot. For another, I still remember someone here who was selling a house posted about a guy who took off his shoes and walked through their house in his socks; they could smell his footprints after he left!

Honestly, I would feel uncomfortable about it and it would turn me off to your house.... I hope this doesn't offend you, but I hope you sell your house quickly and at a great price, and in doing so you have to tread very carefully around the feeling you are creating in your home for the buyer. HTH

Melissa

I appreciate your opinion on this. I think it just goes to show that you can't please everyone 'cause the fact of life is there are just going to be differing thoughts from one topic to another. Personally, I think the request to wear shoe covering would be a mental plus - it would highlight the fact that the floors are *new*. In a 20yo home, that can be a really good thing. :001_smile:

I was asked to put on shoe covers at a house I looked at once. I wasn't offended or put out in the least. I thought it was a great idea. I would just set out a basket of them with a sign that said something like "Newly redone floors--please help protect them for the future homeowner." Maybe you could set out a little bowl of wrapped candies as a thank-you also?

Best of luck with selling your home!

Thank you! I really like your idea of the wrapped candies!

Only it was to remove shoes. We were fine with it. I think the sign said something about keeping our future home clean. Of course the day we saw that house it was raining cats and dogs! But we were not offended in the least.

I had a harder time in the parade homes donning the shoe covers. They were more rude or something about it. I don't think a "can I just remove my shoes?" was met with an ok. It was shoe covers or no entry.

No, I don't have any intention of being rude in the request. I figure whoever decides to honor my request is that much less traffic to potentially mess something up. Your post highlights a good reason *to* do this - what about those rainy days?! Mercy. My heart shudders at the thougt of outside rainy day crud making it's way into the house! :w00t:

On another note - I like the idea of wording the sign to make it potential personal to them ("your" future home...).

The Real Estate agent for my mom's condo brought a basket of them. Mom has off white carpet. It seems like a better idea than having people take their shoes off in a stranger's home.

Yes, I remember being asked to remove shoes in one home we looked at when we were hunting. Personally, I'd much prefer to don a shoe cover. What if I had a hole in my sock?! :tongue_smilie:

the plastic paths laid through the house. It didn't offend me, since I understood what they were trying to do. If I was going to buy the house, I would want the carpet to still look brans new.

I think the shoe covers would be easier than untying and tying shoes to take them off and put them back on.

Your post has caused me to assess the options of shoe covers versus protective runners. Honestly, with regards to the overall objective of leaving the prospective buyers feeling like they're at home in your home, I'd much prefer to be wearing shoe covers than to be walking on floor/carpet protective plastic. *That* option would seem the most artificial to me. I also agree with the ease of the shoe covers versus having to tie/untie shoes.

I would make this suggestion. From what I've seen at open houses, it would be a good idea to have a chair or bench near the basket of shoe protectors...you don't want an older person or someone with bad balance to topple over while trying to put them on or trying to re-tie their shoes!

Good luck!

Excellent idea! I did make it a point to order anti skid covers but your idea about the chair is another good thing to do. Thanks!

When we were selling our home last year, my realtor brought a big container of them and set them up with a sign on a table in the entryway. It was there next to the flyers, business cards and DVDs of the house. He said they would not only keep the floors clean (we'd put in new carpet, too!), but would also give buyers the impression that this was a well-cared for, well-respected home worth more money. Who knows if folks thought that, but they DID use the slippers and we DID get a great price on the house! :D

When we were selling our home last year, my realtor brought a big container of them and set them up with a sign on a table in the entryway. It was there next to the flyers, business cards and DVDs of the house. He said they would not only keep the floors clean (we'd put in new carpet, too!), but would also give buyers the impression that this was a well-cared for, well-respected home worth more money. Who knows if folks thought that, but they DID use the slippers and we DID get a great price on the house! :D

Now, this is a testimony I LOVE to hear ("great price on the house"!! :D Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you as I've posted similarly in response to someone else - I think taking this measure will send a good message that we care about this place, it's worthy of protecting, and it's "new" in certain respects....

This house we are in now required the shoe covers. I was actually impressed with it, and felt better about it possibly being my home because people weren't just tromping through it! When we ended up buying it, the floors and carpets were clean and nice, and I was very happy with the effort put forth to protect MY home!!! :D

I would leave the house w/o viewing it. We're in a buyer's market, so the seller must bend over backwards to please the buyer. (This makes a difference in the mentality.) I don't want to be bothered with a seller's idiosyncrasies and immediately assume they would be difficult to work with should we be interested in the home.

Really? Huh, funny how people view things differently! I see it as someone helping protect a home I might like to buy. Where I live, it rains quite a bit, so I'd think it was smart, to help protect the carpets and clean floors, not an idiosyncracy!

What about the earlier idea: Would it help if they included candy near them? ;) Give me brownies, and I'll band over backwards for ya! :lol:

This house we are in now required the shoe covers. I was actually impressed with it, and felt better about it possibly being my home because people weren't just tromping through it! When we ended up buying it, the floors and carpets were clean and nice, and I was very happy with the effort put forth to protect MY home!!! :D

Me, too!! :)

I've not looked at houses in several years but I wouldn't mind being asked to put on shoe covers to protect the floors. But asking me to take off my shoes would be offensive to me. I would likely immediately mark the house off my list of possiblities.

Judy

I've not looked at houses in several years but I wouldn't mind being asked to put on shoe covers to protect the floors. But asking me to take off my shoes would be offensive to me. I would likely immediately mark the house off my list of possiblities.

Judy

I agree about the request to remove one's shoes. We were asked to do that once when we were house hunting and it was uncomfortable to me. I only mentioned the possibility of including that as an alternative option in the "note" in case there are some who would prefer that to shoe covers. But, personally, I did not like having to do it. :-)

I would leave the house w/o viewing it. We're in a buyer's market, so the seller must bend over backwards to please the buyer. (This makes a difference in the mentality.) I don't want to be bothered with a seller's idiosyncrasies and immediately assume they would be difficult to work with should we be interested in the home.

Wow. It's amazing how different perception can be at times because the reality is this is not an idiosyncrasy at all but a pure desire to protect an investment. Thanks for sharing. Your post helps me to understand how the request *could* be viewed.

One more idea: I've been to many open houses and parade homes, and have frequently been asked to wear shoe covers. No biggie. I don't mind at all. But, I got a little creaped out at wearing used ones, especially if they had obviously been worn many times. They get all fuzzy and dirty looking. I appreciated the homes that also placed a receptical for the used covers, and had plenty of frest ones for my use.

Consider placing an empty basket next to the chair or bench (perhaps under the table with the wrapped candies?) so that the prospective owners will have a place to put their used covers.

I think it's a great idea. If I were looking at the home I'd think since you took such care in keeping the carpets looking new... you'd probably have taken care of the entire house as far as upkeep and maintenance.

If I were buying a house with newly redone floors, I would want them to be fresh! As a prospective buyer, I would not be at all offended by your request. In fact, I go to the local Parade of Homes every year, and there are signs at the door of every house stating that people must take off their shoes or put on shoe covers.

Kim

yep. me too. when we were house hunting for this house, you would not believe how some people were. it made us feel they didn't really want to sell the house. or that if we did buy from them they'd be a pain to work with. people refused to show in the evening or on Sundsay. they were rude to my realtor not knowing that we could hear them through the phone and were on site looking at the home, one specificly requested that children not be brought along for viewing because she didn't want ther stuff broken. hello - we're the ones with the money here - want it or not?

remember - most home buyers are in a hurry at least the first time they view. they've got 10 houses on their list for the day and they want to narrow it down. they are on lunch and have to get back to work. they are on their way to little timmy's soccer game. they've got kids waiting in the van. Usually having good mats outside and inside the door is enough. maybe the plastic runners too.

if my dh was with me, he'd stay in the van with the kids b/c we figured it wasn't worth getting them all out on a house we knew w/i 2 minutes of walking int he door wasn't going to work for us. But the vast majority of the time, I was taking 8 kids with me every time and only calling him on his lunch to 2nd view the houses I thought worth a 2nd opinion. I'm picturing myself in a hurry and have to come to a standstill for 10 minutes to take off 9 pairs of shoes or don thingies over the same shoes. ug. no thanks. skip it and move on to the next house.

maybe everyone else isn't in that situation and that's why it wouldn't bother them? question is, all you need is one buyer and that could be the buyer turned away by it?

I mentioned this thread to dh and he said, "huh? who cares? I wouldn't."

of course he also remembers house hunting differently than me.

let us note that HE never had to drag all the kids with him...:tongue_smilie:

We commonly see adhesive backed plastic trails (which helps, but people do step off of them), shoe covers, or signs asking viewers to remove shoes.

Not offensive here in the least and keeps the home fresh through the viewing season.

Praying for a quick sell for you,

Tap

We sold a house in one state and bought a house in another last year. In both places, it is expected that you will take off your shoes and most places have signs asking for it. Some of the homes had shoe covers, which I liked better than removing my shoes.

I only lugged 3 kids along with me when I was doing the pre-viewing. My kids actually thought it was "cool" and "fun" to wear those things! :) I know people can be in a hurry, but if I am interested in a house, I'll want to take my time to look through, no matter what. If I like a home, I'm not about to let a thing like putting on some shoe covers or taking my shoes off, even, keep me from seeing it!

question is, all you need is one buyer and that could be the buyer turned away by it?
Or, to turn it around the other way,

What if that was the perfect home for you, but you walked away from it because you didn't feel like putting on shoe covers?

I'd word the sign carefully so that if someone isn't physically or emotionally OK w/ removing their shoes, they know it's oK to keep them on. Something like, "Thank you for considering wearing these shoe covers or removing your shoes while touring our newly recarpeted home!" Then in smaller print below, "Feel free to visit with your shoes on if you prefer. No worries!"

My mom had her home on a home tour last winter and she provided shoe covers. She didn't want to have 100s of people tromping through her new home. No problems and her carpets and flooring stayed perfect, despite big crowds.

When we sold our home in Fresno, CA, an area NOT known for shoes off in the home, I did request that those looking take off their shoes. The market was just beginning to slow there but I still had the home sold at asking price within 24 hours. I was in a hurry to sell but it was just as important to sell the home as it was to keep it clean. My mom has lived all over the country in areas where shoes on is the norm and no one takes their shoes off. She has required shoes off in every home she has sold and has always gotten asking if not more on her price. She has routinely set the standard in home purchase price for the area/comps she is in. It has never once slowed the sale or been a problem. My opinion, is that while it is true you want to show the buyer that he can be comfortable in the home, it isn't theirs yet and as a courtesy to the current owner or future owner should he not purchase it, it is just good manners to respect the carpets, especially if they are new! Yes, you may have a few people that are turned off by it, but in my mind they are going to be difficult and demanding to work with and might not be the type of buyer you really want. I say put up the shoe covers :)

I personally would not be offended by this. I have been to homes where there were notes to remove your shoes. It's really not an issue. Tell the carpet installer to leave largers strips of carpet to put in the main traffic areas or ask the carpet place to keep some for you.

....My opinion, is that while it is true you want to show the buyer that he can be comfortable in the home, it isn't theirs yet and as a courtesy to the current owner or future owner should he not purchase it, it is just good manners to respect the carpets, especially if they are new!

I believe you make a very good point here, my friend! :)

My agent brought a pretty basket full of disposable shoe covers and we left them at the front door. It was winter and snowy, and she said that it was fairly customary since some people don't like to take their shoes off in a house.

I personally just take off my shoes. But I definately wouldn't see it as an intrusion or anything. I would be grateful that the person trying to see the house, cared enough to keep it clean for the next owner.

I agree that the shoe covers are a good idea. My dh and loved to look at model homes and it was just expected. The only thing I might add is to make sure you have somewhere for people to sit by the basket. I watched many older and less mobile people struggle with the shoe cover issue over the years.

I agree that the shoe covers are a good idea. My dh and loved to look at model homes and it was just expected. The only thing I might add is to make sure you have somewhere for people to sit by the basket. I watched many older and less mobile people struggle with the shoe cover issue over the years.

Yes. Thanks to my precious friends here on the boards (this suggestion coming from you and at least one other), that base is covered! I don't know that I would have thought of it otherwise...:)