Menu

Series of Unfortunate Events...tell me why this was so popular?

Me either...I never read the books....try get DS interested when he was around 9-10, since they ARE so popular but he had no interest. Then I saw the movie, which there was a big HubBub about, and really? It was dark, dreary, depressing and a bit sad. I didn't get it.

I am with you. I didn't find it depressing, but the pompous attitude and POINTLESS definitions of words when the context was more than adequate just grated endlessly. Plus the kid who can't talk, and whose utterances he "translates?" Give me a break!:tongue_smilie:

ETA: yeah, I am adult, and my vocabulary is, admittedly, wide, but even my kids thought the definitions got old fast. If anyone in the house wants to read them, they're welcome--I don't really censor--but no one here has loved them. Different strokes, etc.:001_smile:

Edited by Caitilin

My MIL brought over a huge sack filled with over a dozen of this series, back when the girls were younger. She'd scored the books at a yard sale, IIRC. The bag stayed in a closet for a few years until my older dd found them and read them. She enjoys them, and now my 7yo is just starting to enjoy them too. For my 7yo, I'm glad she's making the leap into something more difficult than Puppy Place.

A friend of mine told me that her girls liked the endless definitions, because it was actually informative to them. When I read the first book in the series, I found the definitions tiresome too, but then again, I'm much older with a wider vocabulary. :)

I loved them. The siblings' relationship alone made them worth reading. Each of the kids valued the others and respected them. They knew they could count on each other. When they were in a tough bind they persevered and got through - by working together. Each kid had a different gift and they valued each other's gifts. I loved that they never gave up, no matter how dismal things seemed they kept working together. Fantastic series.

I loved them. The siblings' relationship alone made them worth reading. Each of the kids valued the others and respected them. They knew they could count on each other. When they were in a tough bind they persevered and got through - by working together. Each kid had a different gift and they valued each other's gifts. I loved that they never gave up, no matter how dismal things seemed they kept working together. Fantastic series.

:iagree:

You know the saying "everything I ever needed to know I learned in kindergarten"? That's how my son and I feel about Series of Unfortunate Events. Virtually every important life lesson is covered in the series somewhere. We loved them. Long after reading them, we still love them.

We've talked about the series at least twice. I'll go look for the links and post back.

ETA: Here's one

Here's another

And I think this is another. (It might be a repeat.)

Edited by Cindyg

:blush: uh, I bought them for myself. :D I'm not sure why I liked them, but I did. I'll keep them for dc.

Maybe this. And I liked how the author used "big" words and then defined them. I didn't need the definitions, of course...just see it beneficial for kids.

Same here, I read the first 4 or 5. The quirkiness was interesting and bizarre, the vocabulary hilarious. They're so over-the-top, I think kids got that. But haven't they gone the way many of these series go, they're hot for a couple years and then the next thing comes along.

Besides Harry Potter, are there any series from the last decade that will be well-read 10 years from now?

Oh, man, I hated them, but my son LOVED them when he was younger. I don't know how old, maybe 10, 11, 12, 13???? I obviously can't remember.

He used to have to sit through hours and hours of medical treatments and he'd listen to the audio book CDs and just laugh and laugh and laugh. I still don't know what the heck was so funny!

We listened to every. single. book. I think there are 13 of them in all. AND THEN that darn Lemony Snicket came to our Barnes and Noble and we had to go and get our picture taken with him. I still have that silly photo on my bedroom mirror.

So, I have a lot of experience with them, but I still hate them. :lol::lol::lol: Being a Mom is so much fun sometimes. ;)

:iagree: I love how Klaus learned all he learned from books - not school. I love how Violet uses logic to deal with the predicaments they encounter. I love how both of them protect and care for their baby sister. As far as the annoying definitions - well, they weren't written for an adult audience. I know my kids learned a lot of vocabulary from those books and because the words were defined in the context of their use, the definitions had more staying power.

I'll never forget the night we finished the series. We were all deeply moved by the series. Totally unique experience!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I loved them and read them years ago. DD just read finished the series and loved it as well. I think you have to be able to appreciate dark humor.

We got the first audiobok from the library a couple of years ago and my son hated it. I think he really disliked the darkness of it. It was like a horror story to him and he hates scary things. It's the only audiobook I've picked up over the years that he actually asked me to stop playing.

Lisa

We enjoyed them here. The first two books have plots that could possibly occur in real life and they are a bit dark and scary. After that the stories get so far-fetched that you get more into the characters and the word play. The best part of the series--for us--was listening to the audiobooks with Tim Curry narrating. Love! We catch ourselves every once in awhile singing, "Ho ho ho, he he he, hope you get well soon. Tra la la, fiddle dee dee, have a heart-shaped balloon!"

My ds8 said, "It's funny."

My dd9 said, "I don't know." (But she loved them.)

My kids loved how he defined words and will often imitate him in conversation.

I love them because they are HYSTERICAL! They are dark, yes, but it's dark humor. It's funny. Not everything has to be light and uplifting. ;)

Tara

We enjoyed them here. The first two books have plots that could possibly occur in real life and they are a bit dark and scary. After that the stories get so far-fetched that you get more into the characters and the word play. The best part of the series--for us--was listening to the audiobooks with Tim Curry narrating. Love! We catch ourselves every once in awhile singing, "Ho ho ho, he he he, hope you get well soon. Tra la la, fiddle dee dee, have a heart-shaped balloon!"

When my crew sees a little girl acting particularly nasty in public they say, "A tap-dancing ballerina fairy princess veterinarian" !! :lol:

Cakesniffers!

I didn't care for them, but my 8 year old loved them.

I think it was because of the breaking the 4th wall the narrator did. I think it was the dark humor. She often chuckled at the definitions, and did not find them demeaning--more just friendly, I guess.

I think she liked the independence and bravery of the characters, and the mystery.

Again, they aren't my cuppa, but she adored them. :) Tastes differ.

My dh just pointed out that, traditionally, children's stories were NOT uplifting. He said, "Look at the original versions of the fairy tales, before they were Disney-fied!"

Tara

Ohh, yes. My husband told the children their fairy tales in the original way. All dark and dreary. Molly Whoopie, and Bluebeard, and the real Little Red Riding Hood. Just for starters. Eek!

Ohh, yes. My husband told the children their fairy tales in the original way. All dark and dreary. Molly Whoopie, and Bluebeard, and the real Little Red Riding Hood. Just for starters. Eek!

And don't forget Cinderella's step-sisters cut off their toes and heel to try to fit into the slipper. Gross!

I have to join the hillarious camp. I love the author's quirky tongue-in-cheek writing. They are dark, but in such an over-the-top way, which (if a kid can see it) is actually a mockery of dark books, I think. And Tim Curry, as the reader, does SUCH a great job. We listened to these in the car and I would laugh right out loud! These books just can't be taken seriously, nor are they great literature. For example, the book where the kids are in a freak show is a funny look at what is considered freakish and why . He puts people who are ambidextrous into the freak category. I wouldn't read them with young children, but a child who appreciates word humor or has the ability to see the message in the absurdity will enjoy them. Or, maybe it is just that I have a very bizarre sense of humor! :)

I have to join the hillarious camp. I love the author's quirky tongue-in-cheek writing. They are dark, but in such an over-the-top way, which (if a kid can see it) is actually a mockery of dark books, I think. And Tim Curry, as the reader, does SUCH a great job. We listened to these in the car and I would laugh right out loud! These books just can't be taken seriously, nor are they great literature. For example, the book where the kids are in a freak show is a funny look at what is considered freakish and why . He puts people who are ambidextrous into the freak category. I wouldn't read them with young children, but a child who appreciates word humor or has the ability to see the message in the absurdity will enjoy them. Or, maybe it is just that I have a very bizarre sense of humor! :)

Totally off-topic...

Mindy!! I sure miss seeing you here.

budhug.gif

I have to join the hillarious camp. I love the author's quirky tongue-in-cheek writing. They are dark, but in such an over-the-top way, which (if a kid can see it) is actually a mockery of dark books, I think.

They are such a fun, camped up look at Gothic novels. I was a Jane Eyre addict, and I find them hilarious. Lemony Snicket also gave an interview on Fresh Air once, and he sang an entire madrigal he'd composed for Count Olaf.

My favorite part:

When you see Count Olaf, you're suddenly full of

Disgust and despair and dismay.

In the whole of the soul of Count Olaf

There's no love, when you see Count Olaf, count to zero...

Then scream and run away.

Scream, scream, scream, and run away.

Run, run, run, run, run, run, run,

Or die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die.

Run, run, run, run, run, run, run,

Or die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die.

(When you listen to it, it becomes that old fa-la-la sort of singing...you know, "Di-di, di-di-di...")

I need to pull those back out and remind the kids they're there.

Edited by Saille

My kids and I loved them. I found them hysterically funny. The dark humor, the literary references, the mysterious clues that led nowhere, the use of language, it was all enthralling. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no nice neat ending that wrapped up the story. But I can see how that just fits with the whole style.

I wish someone would tell me how many Beatrices there are and who the heck are they (she) ?

We really enjoyed them. They are hilarious.