Menu

Organic Milk

Well... this is interesting. Ds has been complaining lately that Horizon's organic milk doesn't taste right. I decided today to look it up and couldn't believe what I found. Ds was right! Here is a report card on different organic milks. You will see that Horizon got a 0 and when you click the name, you will see why. Unreal. Why was I even paying extra for this stuff? I guess I'm going to start trying to drive to Whole Foods once a week since Organic Valley is so expensive.

Check it out...

http://cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html

Yep, Horizon is a thinly veiled version of Dean Foods regular milk. It's a waste of money. (I'll admit to spending extra on their American cheese though. We don't have it often and it's the only one we all like that doesn't have all the usual garbage in it!) Stick to Stonyfield or Organic Valley. Both will give you coupons if you sign up on their sites. Better yet, find a local farmer if you can (but I know that can be hard to do).

Well CRUD! I didn't feel like going to Whole Foods (4 cows) today, so I just got Trader Joes Organic Milk (which only got 1 cow). Oh well, LOL!

I think I'm going to buy my milk from Mom's Organic Market. It comes from Trickling Springs Creamery (4 cows) which is near my in-laws house. It's $5.69 a gallon, which isn't TOO bad.

I found out about that website a year or so ago, and so will only buy Organic Valley milk (my only other option locally is Horizon and Fred Meyer's private label). You can get coupons occasionally from Organic Valley's website, though, which helps.

My local grocery store came up as a 2-cow brand. But, it seems like that doesn't mean anything against them, just they didn't answer the survey. In fact, the link said:

"Even though none of the two cow rated–brands responded to our survey request, we were able to determine that these brands were, at the time of our research, buying organic milk from highly rated sources. We conducted our research in this area through interviews with a number of industry sources and through federally maintained records. "

We buy Publix Greenwise milk in the gallon jug. It's the only organic milk sold at the regular store that is not ultra-pasteurized. If you don't have a Publix in your area, I've also seen low-heat pasteurized organic milk at the health food store, but it is a few dollars higher than standard organic milk.

We used to buy Horizon, but stopped after I read about the effects of ultra-pasteurization and noticed that the Horizon milk took a loooong time to go sour (meaning every bacteria, bad as well as beneficial had been destroyed).

What a timely thread! I've got a pile of Organic Valley coupons, which really only bring the price down to comparable with other "organic" brands, but I see it's probably worth the extra expense.

Here, I thought if it said "organic" it was good quality, period. :(

We buy Publix Greenwise milk in the gallon jug. It's the only organic milk sold at the regular store that is not ultra-pasteurized. If you don't have a Publix in your area, I've also seen low-heat pasteurized organic milk at the health food store, but it is a few dollars higher than standard organic milk.

We used to buy Horizon, but stopped after I read about the effects of ultra-pasteurization and noticed that the Horizon milk took a loooong time to go sour (meaning every bacteria, bad as well as beneficial had been destroyed).

I just wrote to Publix about Greenwise because we buy it sometimes too. It's been very good for yogurt. We've noticed some inconsistency in taste with them too and I see they got a 2 on the ratings. When you click on it, however, it's mostly due to lack of information. I forwarded the link to them and asked if they could tell me any more about their standards and how closely they monitor the farms providing the milk. I'd rather have at least a 4 if I can get it.

Did I understand that the ratings were based on how much information was shared and whether the farm is owned by a family or corporation? Or, is this a survey of the quality of the product? I think I'm missing the point! :001_smile:

Well if you read the Horizon description, their low rating is due to some large problems IMHO.

Here is the whole article that goes with the ratings....

http://cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/OrganicDairyReport/cornucopia_milkintregrity.pdf

Did I understand that the ratings were based on how much information was shared and whether the farm is owned by a family or corporation? Or, is this a survey of the quality of the product? I think I'm missing the point! :001_smile:

From what I understood, while the company seems to have some pretty serious ethical problems, the milk sounds basically about as organic as most of the other stuff, with the possible exception of some cows having potentially been fed non-organic products during their first year of life.

The ethical stuff bothers me a great deal, but if it's the only organic brand I can afford, I'm still going to go for that over conventional milk. Health-wise, it's still going to be far better than the regular stuff.

I've read that there is such a shortage of organic milk now in the US, that companies are buying organic dehydrated milk from China and mixing it in over here.

Know your farmers. That's the only real way to get good, organic milk.

Sadly for NJ, we're almost out of dairy farms and it used to be you couldn't go a few miles without seeing one.

I've read that there is such a shortage of organic milk now in the US, that companies are buying organic dehydrated milk from China and mixing it in over here.

Know your farmers. That's the only real way to get good, organic milk.

Sadly for NJ, we're almost out of dairy farms and it used to be you couldn't go a few miles without seeing one.

That's so scary :( It's true, I would love to find a good dairy here, but no luck. I have a source for raw milk from PA at a good price, but unfortunately, I can't drink it. It disagrees with me terribly. Thankfully we're not big milk drinkers here either, but we do love our cheese. I stick to Cabot for that.

Yeah. :( Trader Joe's does not disclose who their TJ label suppliers are, so there is way for a third party to evaluate their organic claims. Could be organic, could not be organic.

I would buy Tom's of Maine, or Dr Bronner's from TJs, but I do have questions about their supply accountability.

Well CRUD! I didn't feel like going to Whole Foods (4 cows) today, so I just got Trader Joes Organic Milk (which only got 1 cow). Oh well, LOL!

I think I'm going to buy my milk from Mom's Organic Market. It comes from Trickling Springs Creamery (4 cows) which is near my in-laws house. It's $5.69 a gallon, which isn't TOO bad.

Edited by LibraryLover

My local grocery store came up as a 2-cow brand. But, it seems like that doesn't mean anything against them, just they didn't answer the survey. In fact, the link said:

"Even though none of the two cow rated–brands responded to our survey request, we were able to determine that these brands were, at the time of our research, buying organic milk from highly rated sources. We conducted our research in this area through interviews with a number of industry sources and through federally maintained records. "

THhat's what it said about the Publix brand i purchase.

I live near a couple Horizon dairies and I can tell you just looking at them makes me run in the other direction. Nasty, nasty stuff. The dairies and their cows look no different than any other feedlot around here.

When it comes to milk I am willing to pay more for the better stuff!

Edited by caitlinsmom
I am grammatically incorrect!

Has anyone every bought raw milk? What are pros and cons?

We've been drinking raw milk for years. The biggest cons for us are that it's more expensive and that it's not something we can get just anywhere. People are sometimes concerned about raw milk because it has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria, which can be particularly dangerous for people with compromised immune systems, children, pregnant women, etc. It's also not legal in every state.

However, we feel that there are several pros to raw milk. One, pasteurization destroys beneficial bacteria as well as bad, and often, pasteurization allows for less cleanliness around the animals. In our state, raw milk is completely legal, provided you comply with testing requirements that prove that things like listeria and brucellosis have not been found in your cows. We feel that raw milk from clean, well-cared-for animals is very, very safe, and that you run a great risk of things like listeria from other foods than you do from raw milk (you can find statistics to prove that, but it's my opinion that you can generally find statistics to prove just about anything). We've gotten raw milk from three different local farms, have given it to our children, have drunk it throughout pregnancy, etc., and we've had no problems at all.

The milk we buy is all grass-fed (either mostly or completely), which is healthier for the animal, and which adds important nutrients (including CLA, which fights cancer) to the milk. Plus, the animals are allowed to roam around and be outside, and they receive no antibiotics or hormones -- again, healthier for us. (Yes, those things could also be true of pasteurized organic milk.) Pasteurization destroys the milk's natural lactase enzyme, which can make it hard to digest, whereas raw milk is often gentler on the body because it has its own lactase. We also feel that raw milk tastes better. DD and I absolutely hated the taste of pasteurized milk, regardless of fat content, but raw milk is a completely different creature, and it tastes delicious. (Plus, since it's not homogenized, we can skim the cream off if we want.)

I encourage you to check out realmilk.com for more info and statistics.

We have drank raw milk for 6 years now. We won't go back. We rarely get sick now.

With proper foods(as close to the real thing) proper rest we stay healthy.

The scares that come out from the government is to get people to stay drinking that junk milk. Well, it is causing all health problems and more money for drugs. Never understood why we have the food and drug together. It isn't about our health at all. In other countries these groups are seperate and not together.

It is about big business and money. Support the local farmer! Even if he is expensive it is because he probably doesn't get government hand outs to help with his farm.

Yep, Horizon is a thinly veiled version of Dean Foods regular milk.
This.

We buy Organic Valley and Noris (a local dairy). I refuse to purchase any Horizon products on ethical grounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this. We've been getting some raw milk, but I just received a call back from Publix. Since the scorecard said that they were a "2" due to lack of information, I thought I would see if I could get more information for myself. I was MORE than happy with what I was told. They get their milk from Organic Valley. In fact they said most private store labels get their milk from one of the larger organic companies. I was so happy it was OV as they get a "4" and their farms are smaller farms that they've contracted with. Not just that, but in the 1 gallon size, Publix gets raw milk from them and then they LOW heat pasteurize it!!!!! That was the bad thing about OV... the ultra high heat that kills all the good stuff. The Greenwise 1/2 gallons are ultra high from OV, but the gallons are low heat by the Publix plant. Thought I would let everyone know. IF you don't have a Publix, you might want to write to your store to see where the milk actually comes from.

One thing to remember is that this report is about 5 years old. A lot could have changed since then, so I would suggest to anyone who is going to change your buying habits based on this, that you do a current follow up with your selected brand and make sure they are still up to your standards. I do think the information is important and making a decision based on this report is better than a method, such as, the cheapest in the market, but I just want to mention the date written in case anyone thinks this is a current report.

We buy OV partially due to this report, but also first hand accounts from some OV milk suppliers I have spoke with.

If anyone has specific questions about organic milk (or honestly an milk questions in general), I urge you to make a post to Colleen, as she and her family are an Organic Valley supplier and she is well educated in organic milk.

Do any of you live close enough to buy directly from a farmer?? I buy organic raw milk for $2.50/gallon. I have to bring my own containers...

We get our milk, raw, pasture-based, direct from the farmer for $5 per gallon; we provide and clean the glass mason jars, and he fills and delivers them. Yum, yum, yum!:D

Do any of you live close enough to buy directly from a farmer?? I buy organic raw milk for $2.50/gallon. I have to bring my own containers...

We have our own Jersey Cow, Mollie (with a gorgeous heifer named Daisy), that gives the richest, raw organic milk and loads of it. But if it makes you feel any less jealous, the downside is that I've gained 10 pounds since she started giving milk!:tongue_smilie:

We live in Southeast Missouri in case anyone else out there is local and would like to buy some from us-pm or email me. But don't let the revenuers get wind of it-raw milk is nearly as illegal as meth in Missouri.:glare: (only a slight exageration.)

Lakota

I can't believe it!!! We live out in the middle of nowhere, and dh works at a grocery store on the weekends, which only carries Horizon for organic milk. I'm so upset!!!!

:grouphug: You can only do what you can do, you know? See if you can find a local milk supplier, maybe, but otherwise, don't stress yourself too much.

Just an update on this. We've been getting some raw milk, but I just received a call back from Publix. Since the scorecard said that they were a "2" due to lack of information, I thought I would see if I could get more information for myself. I was MORE than happy with what I was told. They get their milk from Organic Valley. In fact they said most private store labels get their milk from one of the larger organic companies. I was so happy it was OV as they get a "4" and their farms are smaller farms that they've contracted with. Not just that, but in the 1 gallon size, Publix gets raw milk from them and then they LOW heat pasteurize it!!!!! That was the bad thing about OV... the ultra high heat that kills all the good stuff. The Greenwise 1/2 gallons are ultra high from OV, but the gallons are low heat by the Publix plant. Thought I would let everyone know. IF you don't have a Publix, you might want to write to your store to see where the milk actually comes from.

Thank you for this info!!! As I stated earlier, we buy the Publix Greenwise milk gallons. I knew it wasn't ultra-pasteurized (good) but didn't know the whole process (which turns out is great!). I *heart* Publix anyway, but this makes me adore them even more!

• 2 months later...

If anyone has specific questions about organic milk (or honestly an milk questions in general), I urge you to make a post to Colleen, as she and her family are an Organic Valley supplier and she is well educated in organic milk.

Hi! I missed this discussion when it took place, but I'm available by email or PM (and do check in here now & then) should anyone have questions.:)

This.

We buy Organic Valley and Noris (a local dairy). I refuse to purchase any Horizon products on ethical grounds.

We are Noris Dairy customers too.

From what I understand, If you do not have a local dairy that delivers, you are probably better buying rbst free regular milk.

When Organic Milk first became the rage, the problem stores were having was that it was going off faster. So at that point they started to ultra-pasteurize the organic milk. A lot of them are sooo pasteurized that they now have a longer shelf life than regular milk. Make sure that you look as some organic companies are figuring out that people don't want ultra pasteurized milk.

We get from Noris dairy. They have a 0 cow rating, probably as they are a family run farm and just doing their thing. The milk is not raw; however it is lightly pasteurized (the minimum required by the FDA). It is also not homogenized, and comes in glass bottles that you return every week. You need to store it on the top shelf of you fridge (which is the coldest shelf) and it lasts about 8 days,sometimes less) If you are in Oregon, they are great, and deliver once a week.

When Organic Milk first became the rage, the problem stores were having was that it was going off faster. So at that point they started to ultra-pasteurize the organic milk. A lot of them are sooo pasteurized that they now have a longer shelf life than regular milk. Make sure that you look as some organic companies are figuring out that people don't want ultra pasteurized milk.

I'm going to jump in again to clear up your misconceptions. Some organic milk is ultra-pasteurized, some is not; the same is true of so-called "conventional" milk. (Btw, ultra-pasteurization is the norm in much of the world, while shelf-stable milk, which requires no refrigeration, is also far more common abroad.) There's a demand for ultra-pasteurization among not just retailers, but consumers. For every one consumer who expresses a preference for raw or traditionally-pasteurized milk, there's another who prefers the ultra-pasteurized product. Let me know if you have specific questions.:)

I'm going to jump in again to clear up your misconceptions. Some organic milk is ultra-pasteurized, some is not;

That is kinda what I said. If you look at the last sentence of mine that you quoted. I said to check as some companies are not ultra pasteurizing. :)

I didn't spend too much time on that as I was trying to let people know that there is a place in between store bought and raw milk.

That is kinda what I said. If you look at the last sentence of mine that you quoted. I said to check as some companies are not ultra pasteurizing. :)

Kinda...but not really.:) You implied that ultra-pasteurization began in response to milk "going off faster", and that now some companies are not ultra-pasteurizating as they realize people don't want UHT (ultra high temp) milk. What I'm explaining is that UHT milk may in reality be offered as a response to consumer demand. Fwiw, Organic Valley sells both UHT and HTST (traditionally pasteurized) milk.

I have done a lot of reading and research into nutrition, as have a lot of people here. Most things are subjective and have pros and cons to them. I am not going to go over your post with a fine tooth comb. You obviously also know a lot about milk and have your opinions, and I have mine. I think we might have to agree to disagree on the smaller details if that is okay. I would rather people were able to look at my original post and just see that there is an option between, store bought UHT organic milk and raw milk.

A good article I found that sums up some difference in pasteurization is this one from scientific american. It is a good jumping off point if you want to further research milk and you options with it.

I will go ahead and bow out now and hope that for people who want to change their milk that they find a company that they are happy with.

Nicole

I have done a lot of reading and research into nutrition, as have a lot of people here.
Yep! This topic is a passion of mine, too. (Food in general is probably a passion many of us share.:D)
Most things are subjective and have pros and cons to them. I am not going to go over your post with a fine tooth comb. You obviously also know a lot about milk and have your opinions, and I have mine. I think we might have to agree to disagree on the smaller details if that is okay. I would rather people were able to look at my original post and just see that there is an option between, store bought UHT organic milk and raw milk.

A good article I found that sums up some difference in pasteurization is this one from scientific american. It is a good jumping off point if you want to further research milk and you options with it.

I will go ahead and bow out now and hope that for people who want to change their milk that they find a company that they are happy with.

I think you misunderstand my reasons for replying to your earlier post. It's not my intent to present an opinion, but to offer some facts regarding the availability of UHT milk. Even the article you linked contains a misrepresentation. The generalization "Organic milk lasts longer because producers use a different process to preserve it" implies all organic milk is ultra-pasteurized.

Any-hoo, enjoy your Noris Dairy milk. Sounds delish!:)