Menu

How many spaces do you put after a period?

Maybe this depends on what you are using for your standard. If your standard is professionally typeset material, than one space is correct and has been for a long time. My background is in editing and writing for publication, and in that world, two spaces is definitely wrong.

There are obviously other style guides, but - I ask again - if the MLA still says it's acceptable, why is it incorrect?

In business school I was taught that two is common for Americans and one is common for Europeans. Apparently American business is moving towards the European model. Especially with limits on the internet and texting, this makes good sense. It really depends on where and what I'm typing.

Twenty years as an executive assistant in a variety of businesses (pharmaceutical, dental insurance, water treatment, computer and software installation and training) and I always did 2 spaces after a period. That was what I learned and school and what was considered "normal" in professional business documents (at least up to 6 years ago). After all this time it is so automatic I probably couldn't change if I wanted to. Although, I will go through and eliminate spaces if I'm typing somewhere with a character limit.

I had to vote 'other.' I was always taught in school to put one space after a period. HOWEVER... I then took my medical transcription course, and when I got a job, my account instructions specifically stated that I had to put two spaces after a period or colon. So now I use two and would have to retrain myself to go back to one. I'm working on it. Just not on this post ;)

I was taught two. I just asked my 9th grade public high schooled youngun and he said they use two in their English class (and other classes) for typing. So it is still being taught that way in some schools, though I'll be the first to say our school is hardly the beacon for higher academic education.

There are obviously other style guides, but - I ask again - if the MLA still says it's acceptable, why is it incorrect?

Because the MLA is a second-tier style guide? :D

The MLA uses one space after a period. It says that two spaces is not actually wrong "unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise."

The people I know who care passionately and professionally about the look of a printed page all argue strongly for one space. The style guide I respect most dictates one space. The style guide used most in my profession dictates one space. The writers with whom I work all use one space.

If you are looking for a 2 + 2 = 4 argument for why two spaces are wrong, I can't give you that. Most style and language decisions are not that cut and dried.

In personal correspondence, I don't take mental points off for two spaces after a period. But I absolutely correct it in professional work and would expect any writer I supervised to change to one space.

Because the MLA is a second-tier style guide? :D

The MLA uses one space after a period. It says that two spaces is not actually wrong "unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise."

The people I know who care passionately and professionally about the look of a printed page all argue strongly for one space. The style guide I respect most dictates one space. The style guide used most in my profession dictates one space. The writers with whom I work all use one space.

If you are looking for a 2 + 2 = 4 argument for why two spaces are wrong, I can't give you that. Most style and language decisions are not that cut and dried.

In personal correspondence, I don't take mental points off for two spaces after a period. But I absolutely correct it in professional work and would expect any writer I supervised to change to one space.

I agree.

I couldn't even submit something with two spaces.

Huh. I didn't know "2 spaces" was no longer correct.

I've never seen a thing about it in submission for publication guidelines. I guess agents and editors are somewhat forgiving.

Most agents and editors I know will let it pass for a submission, but you will have to correct it if it gets accepted-or they will. It's just not done. Even at our business with all of the FDA SOPs-all one space. The only way I would use two was if it was specifically required in the call.

I retrained myself about 8 years ago.

one and only one.

the thing I am having trouble with is not indenting paragraphs. My Uni work has clear guidelines that paragraphs are NOT to be indented.

Yeah, I'm seeing this, now, too. Formatting for e-readers is a space between paragraphs. I have to admit, it IS easier on the eye.

I was taught that you always put two spaced after every period or colon and one space between words, after commas, or after semi-colons. Apparently, it is becoming increasingly common to only use one space after periods. I've been using two spaces ever since I learned to type in 1987.

The MLA website says that you can use either unless your instructor or editor requests otherwise. I can't imagine trying to retrain my thumb at this point.

So, how many spaces do you put after a period? If you use two, do you plan on changing that?

Word processors changed everything. They automatically put extra space after a period, so it is no longer necessary to do it manually. (At least, that is my understanding -- I haven't tested all word processor programs to find out if this is true.)

As for me, I learned to type on a typewriter, and I automatically put in two spaces. I can't help myself.

Other ... I often use 3. (Gasp!)

I don't like it when things are visually cluttered, and I need that open space or I start to feel somewhat claustrophobic.

The only writing I do is on my blog though, and that's my personal space, so if people don't like it...they don't have to read it.

If I ever had to write a paper I could handle using 2 spaces, (which is the way I learned it.)

I don't know of any publications that use two spaces, nor can I imagine why any of them would. There's no reason to use two spaces unless you're using a typewriter. I'm actually quite surprised that so many refuse to even try to use only one space.

:iagree: I'm also surprised at how many say they can't change. I learned to type 40 years ago!! That meant I was using two spaces for a very long time, and yet I was able to change.

Edited by floridamom

I was taught that you always put two spaced after every period or colon and one space between words, after commas, or after semi-colons. Apparently, it is becoming increasingly common to only use one space after periods. I've been using two spaces ever since I learned to type in 1987.

The MLA website says that you can use either unless your instructor or editor requests otherwise. I can't imagine trying to retrain my thumb at this point.

So, how many spaces do you put after a period? If you use two, do you plan on changing that?

This was a discussion point on CBC radio this morning. I was taught 2 spaces, and that is what I do instinctively. It doesn't affect me either way if someone only uses one, but I'm unlikely to change my typing habits at this great advanced age of mine! :lol:

One, and here's why:

Back in the day of typewriters, all characters and spaces were the same size; IOW, a lower-case i took up the same space as an upper-case W. A space made with the space bar was always the same space. You could draw vertical lines all across a piece of paper and all of the letters and spaces would fit right in those columns, KWIM? One space after end punctuation was not enough visually to be able to read clearly.

However, computer text is different. Characters and spaces are kerned; that is, each character takes up a different space. A lower-case i takes up much less space than an upper-case W. The computer software will leave space between characters to make the text fit. Furthermore, when you use your space bar, that space can also be stretched or scrunched as the text is fitted on the "page." When you use two spaces after end punctuation, you will have unsightly white space running all through your document. It's especially noticeable if the text is in a small area, such as a two-column newsletter, *and* the text is not hyphenated. You can actually take a highlighter and mark the rivers of white that run down the page.

FTR, the software on this forum automatically takes out the extra spaces, so those of you who thought you were putting two spaces after commas have been tricked.:D

One of the signs of professionally designed documents is single spaces, not double spaces. Yes, you can tell the difference. Try it on something you do in your word processor, with two spaces and with one.

Look carefully at professional magazines and newspapers (and more recently published books). You'll see that there are single spaces.

I had two years of typing, two years of shorthand, and a year of office business machines (I graduated in 1969). You bet I learned to put two spaces after end punctuation. However, when I began to do desktop publishing, I had to relearn some habits; double-spacing was the first to go.

I'm guessing that colleges require two spaces (I forget what that style is called, you know, for college papers) because some students may still be using typewriters and it's better to just have the same requirements for everyone.

Oh, and finally, a font like Courier replicates a typewriter, with all characters and spaces being the same size. You'd double-space then. :)

One, and here's why:

Back in the day of typewriters, all characters and spaces were the same size; IOW, a lower-case i took up the same space as an upper-case W. A space made with the space bar was always the same space. You could draw vertical lines all across a piece of paper and all of the letters and spaces would fit right in those columns, KWIM? One space after end punctuation was not enough visually to be able to read clearly.

However, computer text is different. Characters and spaces are kerned; that is, each character takes up a different space. A lower-case i takes up much less space than an upper-case W. The computer software will leave space between characters to make the text fit. Furthermore, when you use your space bar, that space can also be stretched or scrunched as the text is fitted on the "page." When you use two spaces after end punctuation, you will have unsightly white space running all through your document. It's especially noticeable if the text is in a small area, such as a two-column newsletter, *and* the text is not hyphenated. You can actually take a highlighter and mark the rivers of white that run down the page.

FTR, the software on this forum automatically takes out the extra spaces, so those of you who thought you were putting two spaces after commas have been tricked.:D

One of the signs of professionally designed documents is single spaces, not double spaces. Yes, you can tell the difference. Try it on something you do in your word processor, with two spaces and with one.

Look carefully at professional magazines and newspapers (and more recently published books). You'll see that there are single spaces.

I had two years of typing, two years of shorthand, and a year of office business machines (I graduated in 1969). You bet I learned to put two spaces after end punctuation. However, when I began to do desktop publishing, I had to relearn some habits; double-spacing was the first to go.

I'm guessing that colleges require two spaces (I forget what that style is called, you know, for college papers) because some students may still be using typewriters and it's better to just have the same requirements for everyone.

Oh, and finally, a font like Courier replicates a typewriter, with all characters and spaces being the same size. You'd double-space then. :)

This makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, some of us had teachers for desktop publishing that were still using the two space format when teaching...ack! And really, it's not that difficult to relearn. Or at least not to go back and check your work.

In business school I was taught that two is common for Americans and one is common for Europeans. Apparently American business is moving towards the European model. Especially with limits on the internet and texting, this makes good sense. It really depends on where and what I'm typing.

From a typing book in 1981 in England.

Laura