Menu

If you have only one set of sheets per bed, is it one towel per person? What else?

I was surprised in another thread by how many people actually own just one set of sheets per bed. I find this type of minimalism appealing although I'd have to have two sets (summer vs winter). It made me start thinking of other areas that could be minimalized. We have tons of towels and the ones on the bottom of the linen closet probably haven't seen the light of day in years. We also have a separate stack of very raggedy towels that see constant use for pet care.

How many towels do you keep?

I was surprised in another thread by how many people actually own just one set of sheets per bed. I find this type of minimalism appealing although I'd have to have two sets (summer vs winter). It made me start thinking of other areas that could be minimalized. We have tons of towels and the ones on the bottom of the linen closet probably haven't seen the light of day in years. We also have a separate stack of very raggedy towels that see constant use for pet care.

We probably have 2 towels per person. I expect people to use their towel at least twice before throwing it in the laundry.

A few years ago I went through our linen closet and got rid of as much stuff as possible. Like you, I had towels on the bottom of the stack that probably never got used.

I have two sheets per bed (just fitted sheets....I don't like flats). I have about 2 pillowcases per pillow. I have a few extra pillows for when guests stay here. I have about 3 or 4 extra blankets (for guests or when we need to use one while washing the others). I do have more towels than usual. But we have a pool and I have to keep some on hand for that, especailly since people tend to forget towels whenever they come over to swim. :glare: But I did purge a lot of towels though. Our linen closet is now neat and tidy instead of overflowing with useless stuff like it used to be.

We have 2 towels per person -- dh and I both have plain white, large, fluffy towels. Ds has green and blue striped towels and dd has pink and orange striped towels. We use one towel a week and hang them in our bedrooms on hooks behind the doors so they are dry in time for the next day's shower. I also have 2 yellow and 2 purple towels for guests that stay below the sink in the kids' bathroom (heehee, the towels not the guests) and 1 black towel that hangs in the downstairs bathroom for drying hands.

I have 2 sets of sheets per bed -- but mostly just use one set per bed. I only have a second set on hand for those just in case times when washing the sheets before getting back into bed wouldn't be practical (think nighttime accident). Each bed is always made with the same set of sheets on laundry day so that I don't have to fold the sheets. ;) The extra set is kept between the matress and the boxsprings. They don't take up any extra space in my linen closet that way. I have a rotation system for the sheets - the newest set is the one used for making the bed normally, the older set is the stand by set under the matress, and if they are really old, they get cut up to use for rags.

Way too many, unfortunately.

When I was a girl, I received towels from my grandmother and great-grandmother (they grew up in a time when a young woman saved and made household linens for when she got married and when it was a status symbol to have many towels and sheets)

I don't need them all, but have a hard time purging because they are still fine. I know I can always buy new ones should I need it, but something inside me cringes at the thought of waste.

(And yes, I did receive bed sheets from my grandmothers as well... they still live in the linen closet. I can't donate them because the European sizes do not fit here.)

I have enough towels for the maximum number of people who could be at my house, plus 5 thin beach towels. So my normal family at home is between 4 and 6. At the holidays, we swell to 17. I have 18 towels, but there are only 12 in my linen closet, the rest are in a storage box with the extra pillows and blankets. I keep the beach towels in a pool bag and not in the linen closet.

We keep old towels for camping, outside work, clean ups, etc. We have about 6 towels, hand towels, and probably 10 washcloths in our bathroom. And I'd guess there are the same number in the boys' bathroom. We have some older towels that are still not raggedy in a bathroom that's in the basement.

We have a lot of beach towels because I have swimmers.

A lot of my towels and beach towels really need to be replaced right now. I've heard that cotton is going to go up in price, so I guess I need to get off my duff and go look at towels at some point soon....

My hubby and I have six towels between us but the kids have about ten between two of them. They need more towels for hair, and all kinds of other things plus their's don't make it to the laundry as often.

We all only have on coat and could probably use another. I only have one pair of shoes.

Hmmm...6 bathtowels and 5 swimming towels for us. The swimming towels live in the swimming bag. Each bathroom has three handtowels, but would only have two if dh didn't insist on three. We have two washclothes.

I hang my head in shame to admit that three of my dc's bed have one mattress pad, one soft blanket, one pillow, and one pillowcase. Those three do not have sheets or quilts or comforters. I can't believe I just admitted that! My 8yo is spoiled because she has two pillows with pillowcases and a fitted sheet. :) My bed has two fitted sheets, one warm blanket, and two comforters (long story related to dh's grandmother making far too many quilts for us).

My boys have one set of church clothes. I don't see why they would need more since church is only once/week.

My dc only have one pair of pajamas in the winter. If theirs doesn't get washed before bedtime, they wear comfy regular clothes to bed. They don't have summer pajamas since they can wear shorts and a t-shirt for sleeping.

Two sets of sheets per bed (winter and the rest of the year). Two-three towels per person. Boys do not reuse, per my request. Have 4-5 extra pillows plus a spare set of sheets for the child's room that becomes the guestroom in a hurry.

One towel per person (hanging on the back of their door) and two very nice sets (towel and washcloth) for company. We wash towels twice a week, and you hang it up after you use it for the next use. We also have seven hand towels for each bathroom, as we change them daily.

We also have few shoes, coats, clothes, etc. I hate clutter and spending time on keeping track of possessions (except books, of course. :D)

We each have one towel apiece. We have one set of sheets per bed. I wash them and put them back on. I do have extra towels, sheets, and blankets for company that are put away and only come out when we have company.

I just wanted to address people who are confused by this. We downsized recently and went from a 3000+ sq ft home to a <1000 sq ft home. I purged towels and sheets because we simply don't have the space. It is not a trend or movement, at least not in our home. Also, most of us take showers in the morning, so I have all day to wash them if need be, and I do this usually 2-3 times per week.

Should also add that we have lots of beach towels that are packed away until summer.

Edited by Princess Peach

How 'bout this: I just realized I have in the neighborhood of 30 mugs/coffee cups. Why? Even if we have company over, there's no chance I'm going to serve hot beverages to 30 people, and if that were in the cards, I would use disposable cups (just being honest here).

I thinned. There are still more than technically needed, but dh will have a guinea pig if I get rid of his quirky mugs about pilots or motorcycles.

What do you do if the towel is dirty and you need a shower :confused:

It's unlikely to happen, but if it did, I would use dh's or the dc's towels. If for some reason all 5 of those disappeared, I would use the swimming towels. If our 6 bath towels and 5 swimming towels disappeared, I guess I would have to downgrade to hand towels. :001_huh: Our dc bath every other day, and they share towels so even though we only have 6 towels for our 7 person family, we always have clean ones in the linen closet.

I wash clothes every morning. It's unlikely that I would need to shower twice in the span of a couple hours.

How 'bout this: I just realized I have in the neighborhood of 30 mugs/coffee cups. Why? Even if we have company over, there's no chance I'm going to serve hot beverages to 30 people, and if that were in the cards, I would use disposable cups (just being honest here).

I thinned. There are still more than technically needed, but dh will have a guinea pig if I get rid of his quirky mugs about pilots or motorcycles.

:D I did this when we moved last year. We now have four ceramic mugs and four mugs for the car. I feel a little silly with the four ceramic mugs, but in the winter we do go sometimes use all four between dishwasher runs. My dishwasher is itty bitty, so it runs after every meal.

Dh and I each have one towel. The kids have about 12 towels between them, but I don't get their laundry done as regularly as I get mine done, so the extra towels are needed.

The kids each have just one set of sheets for their beds.

Dh and I have a regular sheet set and a flannel sheet set, but since I started being hot all the time a few years ago, I haven't been able to get near flannel in years. We only use the one set.

We don't have a linen closet.

I wash clothes every morning. It's unlikely that I would need to shower twice in the span of a couple hours.

this is the catch; if you line dry, as we do, then a couple of hours isn't going to make much difference, even here in the high desert..... so we have a rotation where each person has a new towel, and an "old" towel. eventually, the old towel becomes a rag or a dog's bed and that person gets a new towel.... and so it goes. do we "need" them? no. does it make life more pleasant? "yes"

for sheets, we have two sets for each bed.... again, one "new-ish" and one "old-ish". we tend to get sentimental about those, though, so sometimes there is a third very old set lurking somewhere.... i've found just keeping the pillowcases helps with the sentimental part :001_smile:,

these are great threads!

that made me laugh, I guess it's better than having a cow. :D

What do you do if the towel is dirty and you need a shower :confused:

I'd borrow one of the kid's towels. As Don Aslett says, you use the towel after you are already clean, so as long as it's hung up to dry, it'll be ready tomorrow.

Anyway, everyone has 1 towel, in their color. We have a few old ones for soaking up messes or drying pets. There just isn't room for more, and I like the simplicity.

As far as bed sheets, we have a fitted sheet per bed atm. We do have more blankets, but it gets cold up here. I'd like to have 2 sheet sets per bed - one summer and one winter. Color-coded, of course. :tongue_smilie:

Amy

My bed has two fitted sheets, one warm blanket, and two comforters (long story related to dh's grandmother making far too many quilts for us)..

Wait a minute- you can have too many quilts? Each of our beds, including our guest bed, has at least two quilts and we have several lap quilts for the living room.

I probably have 12 towels, we have only one hanging in each bathroom plus one hand towel. we all use the same towel . A fresh one is hung up each day. I have the morning shower, and get to use the clean towel first. ds16 and ds 145 have the last shower of the day (separate bathrooms) so each day I only have 2 towels to wash.

I do happen to have 2 sets of sheets per bed. A summer set and a winter set.

Guest momk2000

We have 2 sets of towels for dh and I and 3 for each child. One set of sheets for each bed and 2 spare sets we keep in the closet. One king set and one full set.

I have two sets of sheets. When I pull off one set to wash it, I put the second set on.

We have maybe... 7? towels. A few for me and a few for DD. I only have time to wash clothes on the weekends, so we need to get through a full week.

ETA: No one has ever accused me of being a minimalist though, as hard as I've been trying, I really struggle with getting rid of stuff!

One set of sheets per bed, and one towel per person.

The sheets get washed and put back on the bed.

The towels hang on specific rods or hook in the bathrooms (everyone has their own rod/hook). They get washed and put back on the rod. We are clean when we dry off, having just showered/bathed, so we don't wash the towels all that often.

The girls have two towels each, 5yo because she crouches on one and covers with the other when she's cold just out of the bath, 14yo because she has a ton of hair, and one towel just isn't sufficient.

The linen closet has extra towels for guests, and older sheets and towels that we don't generally use. They're for sleepovers, or for night accidents. There are way too many blankets and comforters in there in the summer (the door barely closes), but we use almost all of them in the winter.

ONE for each child. More for DH and I because we're grown ups and therefore disgusting and will not reuse our towels. :D

Each towel is color coded so I know EXACTLY who left their towel on my clean bathroom floor. :)

ONE for each child. More for DH and I because we're grown ups and therefore disgusting and will not reuse our towels. :D

Each towel is color coded so I know EXACTLY who left their towel on my clean bathroom floor. :)

BTW, you should know this horrifies my mother and mother-in-law. Both of whom, after visiting this year for a week each, offered to buy me towels for Christmas. :D

1 set of sheets per bed

1 towel per person/own color

4 or 5 ancient towels in the pantry for spills, etc.

Each girl and I now own a twist thing for our hair thanks to my SIL's lovely Christmas gift. These things rock.

I only have enough dishes for us all to have one too. It ensures I do the dishes.

Edited by joyofsix

Way too many, unfortunately.

When I was a girl, I received towels from my grandmother and great-grandmother (they grew up in a time when a young woman saved and made household linens for when she got married and when it was a status symbol to have many towels and sheets)

I don't need them all, but have a hard time purging because they are still fine. I know I can always buy new ones should I need it, but something inside me cringes at the thought of waste.

(And yes, I did receive bed sheets from my grandmothers as well... they still live in the linen closet. I can't donate them because the European sizes do not fit here.)

They are being wasted now, sitting there unused. If you donated them they would be used happily, rather than wasted. If you give to the universe it will give back to you if you are ever in need.