Menu

New trend in our area makes me want to cry

This blows my mind: co-ed sleepovers.

These have been occurring with increasing frequency in my area. Boys and girls go out on dates and then they spend the night at one or the other's house. I initially thought it was only on dance nights but no, it's occurring every weekend.

Some of the families allowing these sleepovers are Christian and what I would have called conservative. I am told I am old-fashioned for not allowing my DD to have or attend a co-ed sleepover.

In group co-ed sleepovers everyone sleeps in the same room. From what I can determine, sleeping arrangments for single couple co-ed sleepovers vary depending upon the liberality of the household.

These are 16-19 year old boys and girls. Are parents really this naive? Is our society becoming this permissive?

I just don't know what to think. Anyone else experiencing this in other regions?

Edited by The Dragon Academy
typos

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my word! What are these parents thinking?? If they are happening around here, my son has the good sense not to mention it to me - and he surely knows better than to participate in anything like this. It sounds like a sure recipe for trouble IMO.

Well, I remember the move The Patriot, in which the young hero was sewn into a bag for a sleepover with his female friend.

Anything short of that kind of physical restraint, and there's no sleeping over for our kids. Coed or otherwise (yeah, we're *really* conservative when it comes to sleepovers).

I have heard of these becoming popular for groups, but not for single couples. Not gonna happen here.

My mom, quite possibly one of the most conservative people on the planet, allowed a male friend of mine to stay for a weekend once. We were not dating (in fact he is gay).

This definitely never would have happened with a boyfriend though. That I just do not get.

I'm pretty liberal but that would not be happening here. Not in a million years.

My conservative friends are far more permissive than me in what they allow their kids to do. One friend is irritated with me because I wouldn't allow my 8th grader to attend a sleepover with a bunch of high school girls (friends from her dance studio). The parents were not going to be home until 2 am, and these girls were planning to go driving around town to several high school parties that night.

My friend said they're all good kids, and I had nothing to worry about.

One of the girls at the party has lost her license because of drunk driving. :confused:

Seriously? :001_huh:

I don't feel I'm *that* far out of the loop because I have a 10 and 9 year old. I'm also far from conservative, but, no. Wow, I don't even want to THINK about what my husband would say about being called "old-fashioned" for not allowing his daughter to attend one. He's an old punk with combat boots made for kicking some tail :001_smile:.

Yikes.

My mom was super strict with me when it came to dating and boys, but she did allow my male best friend to sleep over several times UNTIL middle school. Our two little sisters were best friends, too, and they would stay over so their single mom could go out.

Gross, but when my mom's boyfriend and his son moved into our two bedroom condo (I was already off to college), they did allow him and my little sister to share a room. Talk about a HUGE what were you thinking. They were both in high school and not related, so you can all guess what happened there.

When I was in high school our church would have a "lock in" for youth and they were co-ed, but of course supervised. Is that what people are thinking? Otherwise I just have no idea how or why parents would think this was ok....

We have lock-ins here, too. Usually the idea is to keep the kids awake and active all night long. No one sleeps and adult chaperones are in every room. Both of my children have attended lock-ins, either through 4H or Boy Scouts. I have no problem with those.

These co-ed sleepovers are more intimate and, from what I can tell, unsupervised.

My mom let a male friend sleep on our couch for several nights after his parents kicked him out, until he was able to make more permanent arrangements. This was the week before we started college. She did make sure to call my dad (in his hearing) and tell him there was a boy on the couch and not to shoot him when he got home from work. :D Beyond that sort of extreme situation, my mom would never have allowed such a thing. And ds is only 7, but I can't imagine letting him do it either.

I'm married to the friend now, btw. We really were just friends at the time. I swear.

Edited by Truscifi

When my niece was in high school she was invited to a co-ed party or two. But from my understanding, the girls were to sleep in one room and the boys in another. My niece didn't go though so I am not sure how these worked out. My niece didn't get to stay over night because we didn't know the family hosting the party/sleepover. But since we knew a few other parents who were going to attend the party portion... we let her go to the party.

I figure it is okay if there is close supervision from trusted parents. Sort of figure it is like when my Dd had a girl friend sleep over (which we have several times) or my sons have a boy friend sleep over (and we did several times).

Also, Ds and I attend overnighters for Civil Air Patrol. For some of these they are in separate dorms (when we are on a military base or college campus). But when camping out... the boys tents are on one end of the camp site, the girls on the other, and the adults in the middle. And the boy are never ever allowed to go in girls camp area (although the girls can go in the boys area except during "lights out" time). Also we have "night watch" going... usually one boy, one girl, and one adult and shift changes every hour or two.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Some Amish still do this. I guess I'll be the ONLY one to say that I think it depends on exactly what is meant when you're talking about co-ed sleepovers. I used to spend the night at my boyfriend's house pretty frequently when I was 16-18 (then broke up with the boyfriend, lol). We were United Pentecostal (read: very conservative Christian) and so were his parents. I was in college living at the dorms at the time; he was still living with his parents, but also in college. We didn't sleep in the same bed or even the same room. We NEVER had s*x or even came close to it. It was just easier than driving back to the dorms 40 minutes away if it was Friday night and we'd been at his house watching a movie or something. <shrug>

It never occurred to me that that kind of sleeping over would even bother anyone.

Absolutely not! We have a no-sleepover rule anyway. I feel strongly about protecting DD from teenage boys, and about protecting the boys from being falsely accused of something they didn't do, and about protecting the people who won't be staying here from the boys (just in case). I'm more worried about false accusations or someone attacking DD than anything -- I don't know the kids around here very well since we haven't lived here long.

My former SIL, 25+ years ago, used to allow her teenage son's girlfriend to sleep over -- in his bed, with him! Yes, she got pregnant.

Edited by RoughCollie

You know, as liberal as I am, there is NO WAY IN HELL that my daughter would go on a co ed sleepover.

If stuff can happen in full daylight on the back of the band bus, then it can happen at a co ed sleepover. I don't care if the Mastiff is guarding the hallway.

Now stop it!!!!! You and I are not supposed to agree, you know that! :-)

My friend said they're all good kids, and I had nothing to worry about.

One of the girls at the party has lost her license because of drunk driving. :confused:

Wow...if drunk driving is considered a "good kid"....I wonder what these friends think it takes to be considered a "bad" kid. Not sure I'd want to know!

I guess we are ultra conservative, because we don't do sleepovers with same gender even.

I wonder how these same parents are going to feel when these co-eds come to them with the news that they're going to be grandparents? Stay tuned.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Some Amish still do this. I guess I'll be the ONLY one to say that I think it depends on exactly what is meant when you're talking about co-ed sleepovers. I used to spend the night at my boyfriend's house pretty frequently when I was 16-18 (then broke up with the boyfriend, lol). We were United Pentecostal (read: very conservative Christian) and so were his parents. I was in college living at the dorms at the time; he was still living with his parents, but also in college. We didn't sleep in the same bed or even the same room. We NEVER had s*x or even came close to it. It was just easier than driving back to the dorms 40 minutes away if it was Friday night and we'd been at his house watching a movie or something. <shrug>

It never occurred to me that that kind of sleeping over would even bother anyone.

I think it is bad to subject teenagers to that much temptation. Even the most well-intentioned youth can go astray when the hormones are kicked in. I am sure there are some teens who stay over and nothing happens, but I would not take the gamble.

Yes, we have them and my kids go to them.

No, they don't have sex, believe it or not. And no, I am not really naive.

They only sleep with others in a shared situation- all sprawled out on several mattresses places together in the loungeroom, parents nearby and able to walk in at any moment- or they sleep boys in one room, girls in another- which is what they do at my place because I have a son and a daughter close in age with their own bedroom each, so its easy to do it that way. Quite often there are half a dozen or more kids involved.

We have a unique situation of my kids being very close to another homeschooling family of 2 girls the same ages as my 2, whose parents are very liberal- even more so than us in this way. These 4 kids are in the same Venturer group (previously Scouts) and also the same teen gymnastic group, as well as being homeschoolers- they have a very tight but large group of friends, both male and female. They all watch each other, they are all good friends, and yes, some are bf/gf at different times, and sometimes groups of them have sleepovers. Summer hols here right now- its fairly frequent.

There is no actual harm being done. No sex is being had. And they are having a warm, loving and open teenagerhood where physical contact, hugging, and even co-sleeping (in groups, parents around) is normal. I wish I had had a childhood like that. It might well have prevented me from being promiscuous and desperate for male affection in my teens.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Some Amish still do this. I guess I'll be the ONLY one to say that I think it depends on exactly what is meant when you're talking about co-ed sleepovers. I used to spend the night at my boyfriend's house pretty frequently when I was 16-18 (then broke up with the boyfriend, lol). We were United Pentecostal (read: very conservative Christian) and so were his parents. I was in college living at the dorms at the time; he was still living with his parents, but also in college. These are highschoolers, living at home. We didn't sleep in the same bed or even the same room. This is what is going on. We NEVER had s*x or even came close to it. I am sure this is going on at times, too. It was just easier than driving back to the dorms 40 minutes away if it was Friday night and we'd been at his house watching a movie or something. Some of these kids live 5 minutes away from each other so late night driving isn't the issue. Since they are all under the legal drinking age, using the excuse of not wanting to drive home drunk shouldn't apply (not that drunk driving was in your example, I just threw that in).<shrug>

That wouldn't bother me. This is what my DH and I did. We lived 50 miles apart and it was convenient. We were both in college and over the age of 18. We never slept in the same room. My mom, dad or little brother were around most of the time.

===

What is amazing is that these kids post the pics on FB. Scantily clad girls hugging all over boys wearing nothing but flannel bottoms. Sneaking shots of sleeping friends draped all over their boyfriends in less than innocent positions.

Yes, we have them and my kids go to them.

No, they don't have sex, believe it or not. And no, I am not really naive.

They only sleep with others in a shared situation- all sprawled out on several mattresses places together in the loungeroom, parents nearby and able to walk in at any moment- or they sleep boys in one room, girls in another- which is what they do at my place because I have a son and a daughter close in age with their own bedroom each, so its easy to do it that way. Quite often there are half a dozen or more kids involved.

We have a unique situation of my kids being very close to another homeschooling family of 2 girls the same ages as my 2, whose parents are very liberal- even more so than us in this way. These 4 kids are in the same Venturer group (previously Scouts) and also the same teen gymnastic group, as well as being homeschoolers- they have a very tight but large group of friends, both male and female. They all watch each other, they are all good friends, and yes, some are bf/gf at different times, and sometimes groups of them have sleepovers. Summer hols here right now- its fairly frequent.

There is no actual harm being done. No sex is being had. And they are having a warm, loving and open teenagerhood where physical contact, hugging, and even co-sleeping (in groups, parents around) is normal. I wish I had had a childhood like that. It might well have prevented me from being promiscuous and desperate for male affection in my teens.

Thanks for sharing, Peela. It's nice to hear that co-ed sleepovers can be innocent.

I guess I'll be the ONLY one to say that I think it depends on exactly what is meant when you're talking about co-ed sleepovers. I used to spend the night at my boyfriend's house pretty frequently when I was 16-18 (then broke up with the boyfriend, lol). We were United Pentecostal (read: very conservative Christian) and so were his parents. I was in college living at the dorms at the time; he was still living with his parents, but also in college. We didn't sleep in the same bed or even the same room. We NEVER had s*x or even came close to it. It was just easier than driving back to the dorms 40 minutes away if it was Friday night and we'd been at his house watching a movie or something. <shrug>

You are not alone!

While I would not allow our kids going to someone else's home for a group "co-ed" sleepover, I spent the night at my now in-law's house a couple of times if we were all leaving early the next morning for a trip to the city for a family reunion or whatever. (I spent the night in a separate bedroom, downstairs. And no, there were no midnight secret visits, lol.) On New Year's Eve, we invited our dd's fiance to spend the night in our guestroom. Which adjoins our bedroom. With paper thin walls. We didn't want J. driving when drunks were out that night. And believe it or not, while there is plenty of smooching going on, ahem, they are both committed to abstaining until marriage. (In June!)

I personally think that these kind of supervised visits are no big deal. Supervised. Our dd and her guy know they are not supposed to hang out here when we are not home. And they have made a conscious choice to stay out of his apartment if they are going to be able to keep their committment to abstain until marriage. As a matter of fact, we love them here under our loving and watchful eyes and ears! ;) But ultimately, at this point (our dd is a young adult), their choices are between themselves and God.

Just some thoughts...

I'm pretty liberal but that would not be happening here. Not in a million years.

My conservative friends are far more permissive than me in what they allow their kids to do.

I find that here, too. My conservative friends let their kids do many things I wouldn't allow. Often, they justify it by saying that such-and-such kid is a good Christian kid, so that makes it okay, as if those kids have a guarantee of goodness stamped on their foreheads or something. :001_huh:

It irks me to no end. *I'm* supposed to be the cool mom! :001_cool: I really think I need to work harder on the "wicked" in my Witch-ness.

Edited by Audrey

I don't think this is really a new phenomenon. I attended at least a couple of these in high school (about 20 years ago).
Me too, but we were having sex and lots of it, and often also drinking alcohol. Sure, we thought the host parents were cool! Even the ones who watched us and had a no hanky-panky rule eventually went to sleep, even if we had to pretend to be asleep first. They *couldn't* watch all of us! THEIR kids may not have participated in anything, but stuff *definitely* happened! Dd is appalled at the idea of a coed sleep-over (someone at the local school had one and she heard about it) but fortunately, she isn't interested or else I'd have to tell her no. Even if I were okay with it, I'm 100% positive dh would say no way no how no matter what, for dd or ds.

I don't think this is really a new phenomenon. I attended at least a couple of these in high school (about 20 years ago).

Me too. Although, looking back I cannot believe my parents allowed me to go! The sleepovers were both after proms. We'd spend the night at one house and go to another house in the morning where the parents cooked us breakfast! My kids will not be allowed to do that. I really have no idea what my parents were thinking - they were generally very conservative and strict about my activities/where I was. I'm thankful my boyfriend for both those proms is now my DH :)

Edited by Jennay

We are VERY conservative- for our state anyway lol. The only co-ed sleepovers my children attend are with my little sisters (my house and my mom's house). They are 4, 7, and 13. My boys are 10, 10, and 14. They can stay up and watch movies but at a certain time (usually whenever I am going to sleep) the two older ones retire to separate rooms and the little ones make beds all over the living room. As the little ones get to ages of awareness they will be moved to separate rooms lol. We tell the older two that they are too old for sleeping around the opposite sex.

When I was little our cousins always slept over and the same thing was true, as we approached puberty we had separate rooms. There was never an issue and we are all really close now. :)

We would NEVER allow our kids to sleep over at a girl's house or for unrelated girls to come over for the night.

Out of curiosity (not judgement at all) why do some people not allow sleepovers with the same sex? My kids have never asked so I haven't thought about it too much but I did as a child with children of my parents close friends and in high school with friends that my parents had met their parents. I am pretty strict about the houses my kids go to even for a few hours though and can't imagine who I would allow them to stay the night with besides family.

Edited by ds4159

his was the week before we started college. She did make sure to call my dad (in his hearing) and tell him there was a boy on the couch and not to shoot him when he got home from work. :D

:lol: Great ending to your story!

:lol: And for the second time today, (the first was on the clapping after movies thread) I must ask, is this a regional thing?! *We* didn't do this in high school "about 20 years ago". I missed curfew plenty of times because I was partying in cornfields, but I did not attend, nor did I have, co-ed sleepovers.

:lol: And for the second time today, (the first was on the clapping after movies thread) I must ask, is this a regional thing?! *We* didn't do this in high school "about 20 years ago". I missed curfew plenty of times because I was partying in cornfields, but I did not attend, nor did I have, co-ed sleepovers.

We did it almost 30 years ago.... but it wasn't usually planned. People would be hanging out at one house, and the next thing you knew, it was late. Host parents would say "just stay here", and we'd call our parents to let them know. No coupling happened, usually it was a bunch of "just friends" anyways.

The closest I ever came to a "co-ed sleepover" was highly supervised church lock-ins. I spent the night at my now-ILs multiple times before we got married, because of issues similar to what pps have mentioned: I was home for the weekend, my parents had a couch, my ILs had an extra bed. Now-dh and I slept in separate rooms whenever that occurred!!

When I was in high school, my best friend's boyfriend found himself needing a place to sleep for the night. My best friend's dad told the boyfriend: "Your limit is the bathroom." He then turned to my best friend and said: "Your limit is the bathroom. *NOT* at the same time!!" :D (Best friend was sleeping in her bedroom at the back of the house; boyfriend was sleeping on the couch.)

I never had anyone invite me to a co-ed sleepover, nor would I have been allowed to go!! I'm in the South too.