Menu

GA arming itself for the biggest snow storm in decades

That's what their calling it. There are supposedly massive preparations underway.

It's supposed to start snowing tonight and then turn into rain which will freeze on the roads. People here aren't used to driving in such conditions so many will stay home for the duration. It's expected to be okay by Wednesday. We're talking about 2 days. There is a run on milk and eggs. I got a good laugh when my DH called from the grocery store saying that almost all the eggs were gone. I'm wondering if there is some standing tradition that one must eat eggs during a snow/sleet storm? :tongue_smilie:

Tomorrow is my birthday and we won't get to go out for my special dinner until Wednesday night. But I have a delicious cake from my favorite grocery store. While others are eating eggs, I'm going to be scarfing down a chocolate cake with white icing! YUM!!

Tomorrow is my birthday and we won't get to go out for my special dinner until Wednesday night. But I have a delicious cake from my favorite grocery store. While others are eating eggs, I'm going to be scarfing down a chocolate cake with white icing! YUM!!
Happy Birthday, a day early!

Today is my birthday. I have lived in the south for 20+ years and have not had a "White Birthday" in forever! Today I got one!!! I have been so giddy with excitement! Can't stand the cold, but I have enjoyed spending my birthday at the windows, watching the wild birds outside at the feeders. Oh, and eating Godiva chocolates that my son bought.

DH bought me an ice cream cake. I told him, "Um. Thanks. But I'm too cold to eat ice cream. I'll just eat the Godiva chocolates and be good at that!"

Ooops sorry Night Elf, I was wondering why my comments to you didn't show, but I multi-quoted and my comments got placed in the second quote. lol There I fixed it. :)

That's what their calling it. There are supposedly massive preparations underway.

It's supposed to start snowing tonight and then turn into rain which will freeze on the roads. People here aren't used to driving in such conditions so many will stay home for the duration. It's expected to be okay by Wednesday. We're talking about 2 days. There is a run on milk and eggs. I got a good laugh when my DH called from the grocery store saying that almost all the eggs were gone. I'm wondering if there is some standing tradition that one must eat eggs during a snow/sleet storm? :tongue_smilie:

Happy Birthday. Enjoy your cake. :) My mom's up in GA too. She usually calls me when the weather is bad to tell me about it, but she's not called me today or yesterday. I wonder if she knows about it?? Has it started snowing yet?

Today is my birthday. I have lived in the south for 20+ years and have not had a "White Birthday" in forever! Today I got one!!! I have been so giddy with excitement! Can't stand the cold, but I have enjoyed spending my birthday at the windows, watching the wild birds outside at the feeders. Oh, and eating Godiva chocolates that my son bought.

DH bought me an ice cream cake. I told him, "Um. Thanks. But I'm too cold to eat ice cream. I'll just eat the Godiva chocolates and be good at that!"

Happy Birthday to you too! :) I hope your day was special. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Happy Birthday to you too! Godiva chocolate rocks!

There is a run on milk and eggs. I got a good laugh when my DH called from the grocery store saying that almost all the eggs were gone. I'm wondering if there is some standing tradition that one must eat eggs during a snow/sleet storm? :tongue_smilie:

Yep: eggs and milk. I grew up in a very snowy area, and the local weather reporters used to refer to it as the French Toast Phenomenon.

Bananas, though? That, I don't get.

Happy birthday!

I saw news footage of a grocery store in ATL. Slim pickins!

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Suzanne!

Gosh, they are getting snow as far south as Macon! We are in north Florida, only 4 hours south of Macon. I asked DH if he could take tomorrow off from work so we could drive up, as our kids (nor I) have never seen snow, but he's swamped this week. Darn!! There's never snow that far south!

I guess it probably wouldn't be safe anyways, huh? They are calling for most people to be off the roadways.

Too bad it's Sunday or I could have stocked up on the REALLY important provisions. :D

Actually, I went to Publix yesterday to do my regular grocery shopping and it was ridiculous. Now I wish I would have waited a few days because if I lose power for too long I'll lose all of those freezer/fridge items. Definitely did not plan properly.

We're expecting snow starting Tuesday night...enough to really mess up our roads. I'm thinking about buying more milk and eggs (and other stuff) so I don't have to take my van with bald tires out in the snow. I'd rather walk up the street and go sledding with the kids.

Too bad it's Sunday or I could have stocked up on the REALLY important provisions. :D

Actually, I went to Publix yesterday to do my regular grocery shopping and it was ridiculous. Now I wish I would have waited a few days because if I lose power for too long I'll lose all of those freezer/fridge items. Definitely did not plan properly.

But it'll be cold enough that you could just store them outside in a shaded spot. I went to college up in NY state and that's what one of the guys did--he just hung his groceries out the window.

I did my regular shopping at Target yesterday and the cashier was surprised at how busy it was. She thought the crowds would be out today/Sunday. Before I went dh and I joked that I had to be sure someone bought out all the bread and milk--ha ha. (Ok, actually I did need bread--one loaf--and I did buy milk because I had planned to make a cream soup. :001_smile:)

According to the Weather Channel it is currently snowing in my town in GA, but we just looked out and it hasn't started yet--9.30 pm.

Disclaimer: I'm a native South Floridian and have never been in snow in my life so this may be a totally stupid thing to say, but... if your power goes out in the snow storm, couldn't you put your refrigerator items outside? Would they stay cold enough?

Oops--looks like I was wrong about it not snowing here. Youth pastor just dropped by and said it's been snowing for about 30 mins now. I guess it was too dark when I looked out the back door. But it's plainly obvious from the front where the lighting is better. ;)

Disclaimer: I'm a native South Floridian and have never been in snow in my life so this may be a totally stupid thing to say, but... if your power goes out in the snow storm, couldn't you put your refrigerator items outside? Would they stay cold enough?

During one of last year's blizzards, we used our screened porch as a walk-in refrigerator/freezer :)

:cheers2: That's Georgia for you.

I was at Publix about 4 p.m. and while there were people in the store, it wasn't nearly as crowded as I had feared. Apparently the big crowds were yesterday and today before 2.

I have family in AL and it is the same there. The first thing I asked was if they have coffee. The last time there was a major storm - in 1993 I think - we didn't have coffee. Let me tell you, that was a long 4 days with my mother. She is not pleasant if she doesn't have her morning java. :tongue_smilie:

if your power goes out in the snow storm, couldn't you put your refrigerator items outside? Would they stay cold enough?

We can, and will do so if that happens here. A few weeks ago, I took out a ham to defrost, didn't get around to cooking it, and stored it on the porch because I didn't have room in my fridge. The high for many days had been below freezing. It worked fine, except out of sight, out of mind. No bears showed up to eat it.

We're supposed to get 6" or more of snow on Tuesday & Wednesday. I'd rather be in Florida.

Edited by RoughCollie

We can, and will do so if that happens here. A few weeks ago, I took out a ham to defrost, didn't get around to cooking it, and stored it on the porch because I didn't have room in my fridge. The high for many days had been below freezing. It works fine. No bears showed up to eat it.

:) I'm glad about the no bears. lol Everything I know about bears I've learned from Yogi and Boo Boo. :tongue_smilie::D

you better drink a LOT of milk with that cake. Eating eggs isn't truly necessary during that big a storm but apparently drinking TONS of milk is an absolutely necessity. I never understood it. ;)

Happy Birthday!!!!!

I am in AL. We have 4 inches on the ground and it is still snowing. I went to Walmart twice today. The last trip was to get sweetened condensed milk for cheesecake. They were out and I was told it is because people use it to make snow cream.

I didn't buy milk, bread or eggs. But I did buy laminating pouches and butter!!:D

Edited by dakarimom5
spelling!!

I went to bed at 10:15 and it wasn't snowing yet. I woke up 2 hours later and there is 2 inches on the ground, but it isn't snowing anymore right now. Our driveway goes downhill to get to our house so under icy conditions, we can't make it out of driveway. Ugh. BUT!! We do have plenty of milk to go with the cake. :)

I'm sharing virtual birthday cake with you though!

Georgia had to drag out all three of its snow plows from the moth balls (jk, but really, people wonder why snow is a big deal here and it's because we get it so seldom that GA doesn't buy the equipment to deal with it).

The funniest part about snow/ice in the south is not the run on the grocery store, but how people wait until the ice hits before venturing out to the store. Obviously, most Georgians do not know how to drive in these conditions (and let's face it, ice is hard to drive on no matter where you are). So people wait until after the storm hits, get in their cars, drive 20 mph (or less) in the fast lane with their emergency blinkers on the whole way. Gah!

We have four inches and now it sleeting/freezing rain on top of that. Ice is not fun!

Luckily my kids all have ski bib and boots compliments of the thrift store! Even if we only use them three times all year my kids stay warm and comfy sledding. This year I got two Hannah Anderson snow bibs for $3.00 and there is plenty of room in them to last for a couple of years! I will get ready to make a pot of hot chocolate soon.

I'm jealous, y'all -

We're just south of Birmingham, AL, and we've got no snow to speak of, just a 1/2" layer of sleet-ice. The weird thing is that we live within eyeshot of a major county road - and there is NO traffic. At. All.

I think the kids might go try to slide on ice :D

We are in Cherokee County right on the Cobb line and we have about 5 1/2 inches and it's still snowing here. It is just so pretty!

We're in East Cobb, closer to Marietta, and we have about 5 inches. The kids are enthralled. The dog (a Siberian Husky) thinks we custom ordered this for her.

I am in Birmingham, Alabama. I had to go into work last night to stay over so there would be someone at work this morning. My co-workers and I went outside and played in the snow. I think they said we got about 2 inches here. I need to go outside and check for myself. But we also have ice everywhere and I know I prolly will not leave today because it is barely getting past the freezing mark today as a high. I won't be able to leave until 7 tonight and the Auburn game starts at 7:30. I'm not leaving. I have a ballgame to watch.

I went to bed at 10:15 and it wasn't snowing yet. I woke up 2 hours later and there is 2 inches on the ground, but it isn't snowing anymore right now. Our driveway goes downhill to get to our house so under icy conditions, we can't make it out of driveway. Ugh. BUT!! We do have plenty of milk to go with the cake. :)

I'm sharing virtual birthday cake with you though!

Really? It started coming down HARD here about 9:00 last night and stayed that way for a couple of hours. You're a bit north of me, though, and it was moving in from the South.

As of this morning, 5.5 inches on my patio. Ick.

I won't be able to leave until 7 tonight and the Auburn game starts at 7:30. I'm not leaving. I have a ballgame to watch.

I am in Atlanta and have been dreading the possibility that my power might go out, making me miss this once-in-a-lifetime (probably) opportunity. So far, so good, though!

Terri

We are on the West Cobb/East Paulding line and when I measured this morning we had 6 inches. The poor chihuahua is NOT a happy camper. On the other hand, we have some of the most beautiful birds at our three feeders.

Hey, we're in the same area! I was so surprised to see the depth of the snow this morning. I can't tell where the driveway ends and the road begins.

Dh and dd are outside right now. Thankfully dh didn't have to go to work today.