Menu

Our next house ~ 2 story vs. ranch....wwy say?

OK, you've helped me decorate with the right paint color. You've given ideas on storage units and practical tips on storage in general for showing a house. Now, here's my current question.....please come join in.

What are the pros and cons for 2-story vs. ranch style house? What do you like/dislike about the ranch you live in? What do you like/dislike about the 2-story you're living in?

Thanks. Sheryl <><

PS...I'll be keeping this up for awhile like all of my house and moving related threads.

Jean, wow sounds just like our situation. We're middle-aged, but we more active than people younger. Here in the south ranch homes are popular and have a better resale, but as you said the footprint is larger on a ranch and more exp.

Laura, we grew up in the north and both my dh and I like 2-story. We have a split level now that is all we could afford and the layout is terrible in this house. We like stairs, but I am eyeballing a ranch based on what Jean mentioned.

Still, bring it on y'all....:bigear:

We moved to a single level house from a split level when it became evident that our dd would never walk. I love having a single level and would highly recommend the ranch.

Pros

1. Can age in place. Should never need to move due to mobility issues of any family members. Even a temporary condition, like knee surgery, will be easier to handle in a single-level home.

2. Everything is easier on 1 level--laundry, putting stuff away, talking to kids in another room.

3. Family is a little more close knit with everyone on same level.

4. We probably need to paint this year--can do it ourselves.

5. And I can clean all of the windows myself.

6. Heating/cooling works well with 1 unit.

7. All of our space is usable space--no square footage wasted on stairs.

8. We can easily sell our house if we need to, even in a tough market, because there is always demand for single-level homes. It's what retired folks want as well as those of us with mobility issues in the family. Where we live, builders have built very few single-level homes in the last 20 years (I think they make more money off of two-stories), so there just aren't enough to meet demand.

Cons

1. Single levels are more expensive per square foot (at least here). That means if your budget is $200k for instance, you will be able to buy more square feet if you go for a two-story.

We are in a 2-story house, but we will only do 1-story after this.

I HATE cleaning the stairs. I absolutely would never ever do stairs with carpeting ever again.

My dh's knees are in very bad shape. He has a hard time with the stairs.

After the kids have all moved out, we'll probably move into a one story 3bdrm-2bath house.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Two-story pros:

*Smaller footprint

*More energy efficient

*Less roof

*Often provide greater separation of public and private spaces

*Harder for children to exit house via bedroom windows

cons:

*Stairs

*Can be difficult or impossible to make handicapped/limited mobility accessible - If you are building, choose a plan that includes a full bathroom and a room that could become a bedroom on the first floor.

*Roof is higher from the ground, so higher labor costs (It takes time to climb ladders)

* Harder to exit in cases of emergency (long drop to ground)

We have a two-story with a first floor master. We are not planning to move again, but if we did it would be to a smaller one story home.

Ranch, all the way. I've lived in two-story, mid-level, and one-story. I love the ease of putting things away and cleaning it. Our one-level was a little more expensive since there are not as many here and higher demand.

We do not need air conditioning. We wait until the sun goes down and open the windows for a couple hours. Even though we live in a mild climate we had hot upstairs during most of the summer with a two-story and mid-level.

We moved to a single level house from a split level when it became evident that our dd would never walk. I love having a single level and would highly recommend the ranch.

Pros

1. Can age in place. Should never need to move due to mobility issues of any family members. Even a temporary condition, like knee surgery, will be easier to handle in a single-level home.

2. Everything is easier on 1 level--laundry, putting stuff away, talking to kids in another room.

3. Family is a little more close knit with everyone on same level.

4. We probably need to paint this year--can do it ourselves.

5. And I can clean all of the windows myself.

6. Heating/cooling works well with 1 unit.

7. All of our space is usable space--no square footage wasted on stairs.

8. We can easily sell our house if we need to, even in a tough market, because there is always demand for single-level homes. It's what retired folks want as well as those of us with mobility issues in the family. Where we live, builders have built very few single-level homes in the last 20 years (I think they make more money off of two-stories), so there just aren't enough to meet demand.

Cons

1. Single levels are more expensive per square foot (at least here). That means if your budget is $200k for instance, you will be able to buy more square feet if you go for a two-story.

:iagree: We just bought a ranch after a series of 2 stories and I much prefer the ranch. Floor plans can vary on a ranch according to sq ft and when it was built so you may have to look at several before buying. We looked at dozens of ranch style homes and some of them had very unexpected floor plans, especially if they had been updated. I like that everything is on one floor. I can easily hear my laundry finish while supervising school work. I don't have to carry heavy baskets of laundry up stairs.

One reason we liked the ranch and bought it is because it will be easier to add on to if we decide to in the future than a 2 story or a split level. We can join in a new roof in about any place, but with a 2 story it is much more complicated.

When you are considering the future, 2 story homes will be harder for you to maintain yourself. My parents have a 2 story and while they have enjoyed it, they had to start hiring out things like gutters and roof repairs much sooner than they would have if they had stayed in their ranch style home. My dad still likes to work on my home but rarely works on his house. In addition, roof replacements have been more expensive for them. They have a simple roof like a ranch home but because it is higher, and a bigger risk for roofers, they charge more.

Of the particular one we bought - the master bath is very small and I wish it was larger. We found that in a lot of older versions unless they were larger than 2000sqft.

As far as price, the 2 stories in my area are more expensive than the ranches for some reason, but overall the price of the home was determined by the sq ft, the size of the lot, and the neighborhood. I wonder if part of the price was because most of the ranches are in older neighborhoods needing some upgrades and the 2 story homes in our area are in newer neighborhoods. The 2 story homes here also usually come on smaller lots because they are in newer neighborhoods. It was easy to find a ranch on a lot 1/2 acre or larger, but not a 2story.

Having lived in both, I would vote for ranch.

Although in a 2 story it's nice not to see messy bedrooms, a ranch is more convenient. (We are in a 2 story now) I'm up and down stairs numerous times during the day. I hate heading out the door and forgetting I needed something that was in our bedroom and I have to run back upstairs to get it.

Don't like carrying laundry from the basement up two flights of stairs to get it to the bedrooms.

Things are always things piled on the stairway to go upstairs. Hate how cluttered it gets and looks.

I kinda like having everyone a little closer in a ranch and having all the rooms on one floor almost makes the home feel more spacious.

We aren't getting younger and stairs will only get harder.

JMHO

A compromise would be a first-floor master suite. It gives you some of the benefits of a 2-story, and some of the benefits of a ranch.

Or, even the space to add a first-floor suite onto the main floor.

Cost wise, a 2500 ranch (with a bonus room over the garage) would cost us $290,000 to build (not including the land). A 3200 sq. ft. 2 story is going to cost us about $230,000 to build. The main factors in the cost being the size of the foundation and the size of the roof. The first-floor master suite (assuming you keep the 2nd floor essentially "square" over either the center part of the house, or the garage... will fall somewhere in between (the 2900 sq. ft first floor house we attempted to build was about $280,000)

The 2 story homes here also usually come on smaller lots because they are in newer neighborhoods. It was easy to find a ranch on a lot 1/2 acre or larger, but not a 2story.

We noticed this as well when we were househunting last year, but the ranches on larger lots tended to be small (1600 sq ft. or less). I guess because they were mostly built back in the '50's and '60's. The larger ranches didn't have big lots (and in fact tended to be *VERY* close to the neighbors).

Could it be that I have a preference already?

Like Crimson, dh and I are from the north where there are lots of 2-story houses. We both like the stairs and the hallway. Funny, huh....:tongue_smilie:

I STILL LIKE 2-story structures, but after reading your replies, it makes sense for my dh and I, from a practical standpoint, to move into a ranch. Like Dobela said, I'll need to look at several floor plans.

I like ranches too and they are growing on me. I thought I'd only be interested in the "style" of a 2-story.

My dh does have knee problems every now and then and from the vantage point of him being able to do his man work on the house that he enjoys soooooo much, it may be more prudent for him to continue on a ranch.

True Blue, what is a mid level? Is that what you called it.

Ali brings up a good point for people who are not as mobile. This is true. My dad who turned 85 2 months ago has a single floor plan and gets around very well. His unit is designed specifically for seniors and you'll find open floor plan, wide entry ways and door ways, etc to accommodate a scooter/wheelchair, etc. Thanks for the tip Ali!

Our floor plans are pretty boring here in our neck of the woods unless you pay high money. Our real estate agent will have her work cut out for her. :D

What sounds really cool is a ranch with an upstairs bungalow for guests or an office, etc.

Thanks y'all.

Edited by sheryl

Just whatever you do, DO NOT go with a bi-level house. We have one and it is steps from the garage to the main level. Steps from the front door to the main level, steps from the kitchen to the outside, steps to the basement, basically STEPS everywhere.

I would either do a ranch with a daylight basement---likely my first choice with 1 bedroom and large bathroom on the mainfloor--great for handicapped/elderly/injury, etc. and maybe one other bedroom up and then you could put 2 or more bedrooms in the daylight basement along with a family room, etc.

My mother is in an electric wheelchair and can't visit us at all. We have people from church we would like to invite over but the man has some physical limitations and could never get up our steps. My in laws will soon be nearing the time they won't be able to get into our house either.

When the highway comes through it in the next few years we will get a handicapped/elderly friendly home. I might even need ankle surgery where I would need to be off my foot totally for 8 weeks and then with a walking cast for 8 weeks. I think I would just live in the garage or get on the main floor and never leave.

We live in the city so a 2 story house has a much smaller footprint and is more affordable that way. But many people move into a one story house when they get older, so if you plan to stay in this house "forever" you may want to consider that. (I'm middle aged so I think about things like that).

:iagree: It is good to consider your potential needs as you age:D

I didn't have a preference when I bought this two-story house. Our main criteria was that there be a room downstairs that could be a bedroom and a full bathroom. This house has a master suite upstairs, along with 3 other bedrooms and a game room, but it also has a bedroom with full connecting bathroom downstairs; we use it as an office, but someday when we're old and decrepit, it can be our bedroom.

Many of the newer one-story homes we saw here in central Texas had master suites separated from the other bedrooms, often adjoining the family rooms or kitchens. We didn't care for that--not enough privacy, IOHM.

At any rate, we have enjoyed the two-story house, and I'm glad we bought it. If I were designing my home, I would probably go with a one-story.

We live in the city so a 2 story house has a much smaller footprint and is more affordable that way. But many people move into a one story house when they get older, so if you plan to stay in this house "forever" you may want to consider that. (I'm middle aged so I think about things like that).

We moved from a small ranch to a two-story when our family expanded from just dh and me to 5 of us. I love having the living areas separate from the bedrooms (all upstairs). I also love more square footage and a bigger yard. The only con I can come up with is that our laundry room is on the main floor. I love my house. :)
:iagree: with these two. We moved from a ranch to a 2-story because dh and I both wanted the stairs to give us some exercise, as well as separating the living areas and bedrooms. All our bedrooms are upstairs as well. The kids, their friends and our animals have enjoyed the stairs immensely! Amazing the ideas they all have come up with to make that a fun part of our home! :) Plus I use them as exercise--up and down the stairs a few times is a great work out! The kids have grown up in this house and we all love it and our neighborhood!

However, if we move again, taking into consideration the kids getting older and moving out, and dh and I getting older, we will get a smaller ranch with less yard. This one's been perfect for our needs, but as the changes come, we'll make the house change we need to.

Edited by Brindee

I've had a 2 story for about 4 years. It is nice having the bedrooms upstairs(quiet) and a smaller footprint but for me that's about it. You really need a laundry room upstairs and the stairs do get old. When my girls where smaller I was always worried about them falling down them...heck just the other day my 9 yr old stepped wrong and fell down about 4 steps to the landing getting some nice rug burns. Plus I have lower back problems and the stairs are just murder some days. If you or your hubby have any knee,leg,back,foot etc problems don't go for the stairs.. Our next house will be all on one floor:) Good luck and enjoy the process!

What are the pros and cons for 2-story vs. ranch style house? What do you like/dislike about the ranch you live in? What do you like/dislike about the 2-story you're living in?

My husband builds homes, so here are my thoughts:

Ranch

Pro: Lack of steps

Often more energy-efficient because they are not sitting up high in the cold (if your climate gets cold).

Cons: House can look long and not "stately"

2 story

Pro: Smaller house "footprint"; fits on many lots

Cheaper foundation, fewer materials needed for walls, roofing, etc.

Provides a nice separation of main living quarters and main sleeping quarters

Height of the house looks pretty

Cons: Steps! Steps! Steps!

Walls exposed to the wind/air lose more heat.

We live in a 2 story, but if we were planning to build again, I would probably only consider one-level-European-style. My mom can't deal with the steps at my house at this point and any future house would have to be more user-friendly for my parents. And can I just mention how much I HATE vacuuming stairs?! I make the kids do it. I think a Roomba that goes like a slinky down the stairs would be worth it even if it cost $1,000.

A daylight basement is a basement where there are big egress windows in it so it is legal to have bedrooms down there and you get light for a family room as well. You can also have a walkout level where the house is build kinda on a hill that is cut away in the back so the lower level is ground level in the back but the front is ground level on the main floor.

http://www.building-your-green-home.com/images/Back_View_Walkout_Basement.jpg

This picture shows both--the daylight part would be the regular windows on the left and then the walkout is the part on the right that is on ground level. The house is built on a slope.

They are very common here.

Ottakee, Priscilla, Ellie ~ Thanks.

Thanks to everyone.

O, what is a daylight basement?

We have a two-story with open floor plan right now. I hate it. Because everything is so open, all the noise from the kitchen-living-dining areas goes straight up to the bedrooms. We were in a ranch before this with the bedrooms on one end of the house and the living areas on the other and it worked so much better for our family (kids go to bed earlier than the parents, etc.). Where we are now, I feel like I have to tiptoe around in the morning and at night. So, no more open floor plan 2-story homes for me after this one.

I've had a 2 story for about 4 years. It is nice having the bedrooms upstairs(quiet) and a smaller footprint but for me that's about it. You really need a laundry room upstairs and the stairs do get old.

I would not want my laundry room upstairs: go upstairs, start a load of laundry. go downstairs where the rest of my life is happening. Go upstairs to flip the laundry. go downstairs where the rest of my life is. go upstairs to flip the laundry, stay up there and fold while the rest of my life is going on downstairs. go downstairs. go upstairs...and it would be worse if I had a washer without a fabric softener dispenser. ack.

No, I bring all the laundry downstairs, wash, dry, fold, in the place where everything else is going on, take it all upstairs when I'm finished. One trip.:)

We had a ranch for 10 years and loved it. We recently moved and wanted a bigger house so we decided on a 2 story. We love this, too. My favorite change is now our bedrooms are completely separate from the living areas, much greater privacy and easier for kids to be asleep while mom and dad are still up. We also now have a separate dining room that we can use for school because we have a big eat in kitchen and room for separate activities. Our ranch took up a lot more land and was smaller overall than our current home. We have more yard space and more room for guests. If my laundry wasn't upstairs along with the bedrooms I don't think I would enjoy my house as much.

We have a two-story with open floor plan right now. I hate it. Because everything is so open, all the noise from the kitchen-living-dining areas goes straight up to the bedrooms. We were in a ranch before this with the bedrooms on one end of the house and the living areas on the other and it worked so much better for our family (kids go to bed earlier than the parents, etc.). Where we are now, I feel like I have to tiptoe around in the morning and at night. So, no more open floor plan 2-story homes for me after this one.
It's a matter of perspective! :001_smile: It's hard for us (those of us commenting on this thread) to tell another person which is best, since things we like and dislike are so different!

I LOVE the stairs! I LOVE the open floor plan! I LOVE the quiet mornings, that's when I get a lot of my computer and other quiet work done! I LOVE how the kids and the cat peek around the corning from a landing in the middle of the stairs to see and talk to me (yes, the cats often meow :D) or whoever is in the kitchen/diningroom areas! I LOVE having my laundry room downstairs! I LOVE how our main floor is flesh with the outside walk so my mom, who has a walker, can get in and out easily (we almost bought a split-level....so glad we didn't)!

I totally see the strong points of a ranch-style home as well, though! :001_smile: It's a tough choice, but it's nice to get ideas and things to watch for as you look from the lovely ladies here! Best wishes!

Thanks for your input. My dh and I do like the stairs. It's what we both grew up with. But, there are many valid points here for me to be realistic and at least consider a ranch style. As usual it will depend on location.and.price.

I think I have all the info I need now and will share this thread with dh. Thanks again y'all.

BTW, my one main concern with a ranch was the security feature. We've only had one home which is this split level (I know, I know, but this house was the only one we could afford years ago. When we're ready to put on market you can bet I'll have a prayer chain for selling this house b/c it will be a tough sale...being a split level) and our bedrooms are upstairs and not street level. For those of you in ranch, do you feel safe?

And now my other concern with ranch will be a boring floor plan. I can't stand all bedrooms bunched together. Please forgive me in case you have that. There's nothing wrong with it per se, just personal preference which isn't mine. LOL! And, I won't want bedrooms off kitchen or some other weird location either. What's the alternative?

Here is how my ranch is laid out:

Master with two bathrooms and three closets is on one end. Den, kitchen, dining room, and sun room are in the middle and hall with 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms for the kids are on the opposite side of the house.

This is perfect for us.

After having grown up in a two story house; living in apartments, then ranch style houses for 20 years; then moving back to a two story with a basement (last 13 years), I can say that I'm tired of running up and down stairs!

Also, if you don't have a really large, wide open main floor, it can feel like your "house", i.e., living area, is really tiny. At least that's how mine feels to me with it's layout, despite the fact that's all the rooms are pretty open to one another.

My upstairs, which has a large bonus room over the garage, is actually larger in terms of living space than my main floor and feels a lot bigger to me, too. And it's not that my main floor is really small in terms of square footage, but it feels small....

In newer neighborhoods, many 2 story homes are very close on the sides and there may not even be side windows because of this. If there are side windows, you're looking into your neighbor's house. Or your looking at a big, black (hot in summer) roof....

If I could find a 2 story home that had a large main floor area, and that was on a larger lot, I might like it better.

It IS good exercise!!!!

I have a cape cod. There is only one bedroom upstairs. (The kids'.) We don't go upstairs much at all. The kids only use that room to sleep in. All their toys are in a big playroom on the main level.

I used to always live in 2 story houses, and I'm LOVING having everything on one floor. The washer/dryer used to be in the basement, but we had them moved in a big bathroom upstairs and now I don't have to haul laundry around.

I love it that I don't have to race up and down stairs all day for stuff.

I love it that we can always stay in this house, even when we're old and grey.

I won't willingly go back to 2 stories.

And now my other concern with ranch will be a boring floor plan. I can't stand all bedrooms bunched together. Please forgive me in case you have that. There's nothing wrong with it per se, just personal preference which isn't mine. LOL! And, I won't want bedrooms off kitchen or some other weird location either. What's the alternative?

I hate a boring floor plan, too. I have the cape cod, but that upstairs bedroom is pretty much unknown. The staircase is enclosed with a door at the bottom, and most people who come to my house don't even know the house has an upstairs room.

My house is 50 years old with two gorgeously done additions. (They do NOT look like additions. They blend seamlessly in with the rest of the house.) I find that I usually like the style of older homes. I find the lay out of homes built in the 80s or later to be pretty dull and unimaginative. I think the layout of my home is really nice, but I think it's because it's older with the additions.

Maybe look around at older homes and compare those layouts to newer homes.

That's true Regena--the neighbor's homes.... When we were looking for a house, before we bought this one, we drove into one neighborhood that had a for sale sign near the main road. The lots sizes were tiny and the houses were so close together that we turned right around and went somewher else. That doesn't bother some people. Having a smaller lot size means less maintenance work on the yard, which can be nice! :) However, I was getting claustrophobia just driving past them, there was NO WAY I could live there!

Our development was well planned out, and we and the house across the street with the same kind of floor plan have the smallest lots--at .48 of an acre! I love this neighborhood and feel blessed that we got in it (it's been great for the kids--lots of neighborhood friends!), and that we got in it right before the house prices skyrocketed! At one point our house was worth, on paper, twice what we paid for it! We were tempted to sell, and even had offers, but we love it here so much that we couldn't sell. Now, with this recession, our house is worth, on paper, a bit more than what we got it for. Who knows what the reality would be!

So, another thing to take into consideration (unless you already have a lot you're going to build on) is the neighborhood. Check the covenants and all, some places have crazy rules, some charge an arm and a leg per year for the HOA! Some people don't want to get a home that has a HOA and fees, but it's saved our neighborhood a couple of times. Oh, and how much will the taxes on the lot be?

You've probably thought about all that though, so I'll be quiet now! :)

ETA: We live in damp WA state, so we don't have a basement. We just have the ground floor and the floor upstairs. I don't think I'd much like having the washer and dryer in the basement....we do (well, actually, we DID) soooo much laundry!!! That's more like a 3-story house!

Edited by Brindee

I love it. It's perfect for us - I like having my bedroom a bit separate from the children (who are older - I wouldn't like it with babies). I love having my bedroom look over the garden and pond. I know we can get old in this house if we want to. Someday, we will mostly live downstairs but have guest rooms upstairs.

My in-laws have the best of both world - ranch and 2 story.

The main floor of their home houses all the living areas as well as the master suite and an in-law suite. Up one set of stairs are two large bedrooms joined with a Jack and Jill bathroom. Up another set of stairs is an office/playroom/media room/whatever you need it to be room. The garage is off the main floor.

They also have a converted basement which is a self-contained apartment.

My in laws are in their late 70s. They never go up the two sets of stairs nor down to the basement. That is the job for all of us 'grown children' to make sure everything is alright in those areas of the home.

They have lived there for 23 years. It has definitely been a house that easily went from using ALL the square footage to one appropriate for gracefully aging parents. :001_smile:

OK, you've helped me decorate with the right paint color. You've given ideas on storage units and practical tips on storage in general for showing a house. Now, here's my current question.....please come join in.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

PS...I'll be keeping this up for awhile like all of my house and moving related threads.

We live in a two story, but my dream house would be a ranch style. What I dislike about our two story is that the kid's bedrooms are upstairs and mine is down, which means I don't have huge motivation to go upstairs a lot. The two younger kids don't usually sleep in their rooms because they don't like being up there without us. Also, a huge part of the upstairs is a game room with a pool table that ends up being a catchall for junk people don't want to put away. DH HAD TO HAVE a game room, but I can count on one hand how many games of pool he played after the novelty wore off.:glare: Basically, I can think of better uses of the square footage.

Also, two of the four bathrooms are up there and they don't get cleaned as often as they should because again, I don't go up there. I suppose the simple solution would be to go up there daily and do checks and then delegate, but.......uh.....I just don't do it because of my high blood pressure. :tongue_smilie:

We have a two-story with a basement, and while I love the space the stairs are a pain.

Laundry must always be carried up and down.

Cleaning must be done on different floors...hauling the vacuum, mop, broom, cleaning stuff up and down, and vacuuming the stairs is a big pain.

I make lots up trips up and down the stairs each and everyday.

We are active, but one can't help aging, and the stairs are hard on joints.

If someone isn't feeling well, mom gets to make hundreds of trips up and downstairs.

Moving large furniture items like beds, dressers, exercise machines is much harder and often the delivery companies will charge extra for stairs. Oh, and not everything will fit up the stairs...Our king sized bed was bent/ruined. We have to settle for a queen:thumbdown:.

Some children/people will yell up there:tongue_smilie:.

If I had the hopes of a new house, I would want it one story. We have what I am sure would be called a ranch style now but our bed rooms are in the basement and I hate the constant stairs.

I would want it to have a full basement because of resell value but would have it open as much as possible so the kids could have their bikes etc down there during the winter. Eventually a pool table or some other game tables would possibly go down there also but it wouldn't be part of our main living as such.

Definitely ranch from now on. I am not old yet (47) but after having a broken leg since August and knowing that mobility just gets older as you age, I will only do one story.

Negatives to two story- noise (you hear things above and below you), heating and cooling issues (my kids are hot and we are normal but the downstairs is frigid), hard to deal with outside issues such as cleaning drains (we have some that are three stories up).

Only pro I see with two story is more house in less space.

I will hopefully never live in a 2 story again.

Cleaning gutters - a nightmare

Roof work - nightmare (1 story I'd do it myself)

Painting ceilings (in our living room the ceilings go up 2 1/2 stories) - nightmare

From the issue of just repair - I'd go 1 story and be able to tackle everything solo.

We live in a single storey house with a converted loft, so the upstairs is just a family room and a small library. I like having that space separate: it's not visible from the other public rooms, so I don't have to keep it so tidy.

ETA: As the upstairs rooms are not essential, it will be easy to carry on living in the house if one of us is not fully mobile.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Two story houses tend to be more energy efficient than ranches, and certainly they cost less to replace the roof on.

I'm not a fan of the ranch style but that probably has to do with the fact that I grew up in New England.

I think that we lose a lot of heat in the winter because the house is spread out over one storey, rather than bunched into two.

Laura

We've lived in two of each. My dh has physical limitations making stairs difficult and likely far more difficult in the future. Our last home had a main floor master, but we considered the upper floor to be wasted space once our kids left home.

When we talked about moving, I would not consider a two story. We moved into a ranch with a walkout basement, very common here. Also common are driveways that curve around to the walkout basement level to a garage underneath the main level of the house. That was also something I would not consider.

Both the two story houses next door to us and across the street are for sale. The owners are only in their 60s and seem healthy, but they are no longer able to navigate the stairs.

If this is going to be the home you grow old in, ranch. If you're certain that you'll be moving on before your retirement years, whatever gives you more space.

I clean houses and I see my elderly/sick (cancer) clients struggle with stairs. It's just down right dangerous! The worst is my dear client who has been battling cancer. She has a split level. Stairs to get from the front door to the rest of the house, stairs up to the bedroom, stairs down to the living room. Ugh. It's a PITA for me to clean all those stairs and spaces but I only have to do that twice a month. I couldn't imagine navigating them on a daily basis, especially when ailing.

Yes, the house is visually stunning and interesting. It's really pretty. But useful and safe? Not so much.

Wow, I woke up this New Year's Day with many more ops, suggestions, etc.

Thanks to everyone. I'm finding I like all style houses, but from a practical-only standpoint that may dictate a ranch.

You've offered many good points, pros and cons to both ranch and 2-story style housing.

I'm grateful! :001_smile: Happy New Year!!