Menu

Can we do a FAVORITE BOOKS of 2010 thread yet?

OK here are the rules for the game :D

Name your favorite work of fiction that you read in 2010 (only ONE!)

Name your favorite work of non-fiction that you read 2010 (only ONE!)

When I force myself to pick JUST ONE then I actually reflect on why I really liked this book or that one more. Picking just one is tough. Can you do it?

I read a lot of really great books this year but if I have to pick just one for each category I would pick...

Fiction- Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Non-fiction: Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt

your turn!!!

Fiction: The Deptford Trilogy (Robertson Davies) [it's bound as one volume, so I'm counting it as one!]

Nonfiction: History of the Ancient World (SWB) [i'm not kissing up; I started reading this book because I had to, having chosen it for history class, but I wound up taking it to bed with me.]

Fiction: In the Company of Others, Jan Karon (made me want to go to Ireland!)

Non-Fiction: Sacred Parenting, Gary Thomas (helped me to have better perspective AND motivated me to be a better Mom)

Thanks for starting this thread! Very fun to see what others are reading and recommending.

This is so hard! How to pick only one? I suppose the one book of fiction that I would not hesitate to pick up and read again was...

Fiction: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Non-Fiction: The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England:A Handbook for visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer or The Illustrated Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson (it's a memoir of sorts, does that count?).

Fiction: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Non-Fiction: Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth by James M. Tabor

ETA: It was too hard to just pick one, so I wrote more on my blog, lol. ;)

Edited by Guest

Fiction- The Overton Window by Glenn Beck

Non-fiction- The Well Trained Mind....not sucking up...this was really the best book I've read so far in helping with my homeschooling journey. I took tons of notes, and it definitely helped me organize some things.

Non-fiction: How Lincoln Learned to Read by Daniel Wolff (Liping Ma's KaTeM is a close close second)

Fiction: Probably Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle. I reread a bunch of L'Engle this year, but instead of looking at it from Vickie's perspective, Mrs. Austin is what really stood out to me.

I've been wanting to read this, but I also wonder if I could just read his Twitter page and get the gist of it. Wasn't the book based on his tweets?

It is, but he goes into full details about each scenario. Like I said, it's full of profanity (from his dad), but is hilarious!!

OK here are the rules for the game :D

Name your favorite work of fiction that you read in 2010 (only ONE!)

My favorite fiction this year was The Book Thief. I had tons of runners up...but I think this one really won it for me...

Name your favorite work of non-fiction that you read 2010 (only ONE!)

My favorite non-fiction was John Adams by McCollough. I am such a huge fan of Abigail...she is my hero...this book gave me a deep insight into her life by studying his. LOVE!

When I force myself to pick JUST ONE then I actually reflect on why I really liked this book or that one more. Picking just one is tough. Can you do it?

I read a lot of really great books this year but if I have to pick just one for each category I would pick...

Fiction- Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Non-fiction: Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt

your turn!!!

I haven't read the 2 you listed...now I must :D

Faithe

Fiction: Hook by Lawhead

NonFiction: Post American World.

Will be checking out the Platt book, Contemplative Moms and The Warmth.

Great thread:001_smile:

The book by David Platt is SO GOOD because it is, IMHO, the perfect blend of sound doctrine and social gospel. I have read books about the social gospel that were a whole lotta social and not much gospel, ya know? Then, of course, there are plenty of books on sound doctrine. But this one combines the two in a way I have not seen before. He really gives a good doctrinal basis for being involved in social gospel projects but for gospel reasons. OK, I am rambling...just read it. :tongue_smilie:

Wow - is this ever hard! I am going to go with the following for now - but if I answered later, or tomorrow, I might choose something else in each category! :D

Fiction: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Non-fiction: God's Smuggler, by Brother Andrew with The Sherrill's

Fiction: Pillars of the Earth

Non-Fiction: The Gun by C.J. Chivers http://www.amazon.com/Gun-C-J-Chivers/dp/0743270762/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292899763&sr=8-1 (I had to write that, both because it is an amazingly well-researched narrative of how technology as changed war, and history--and because my DH wrote it.)

I also like the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, the Warmth of Other Suns and Apollo's Angels (which I am reading now and which is awesome).

Fiction: Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie. I grew up reading murder mysteries and somehow missed this gem.

Non-Fiction: Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell. This is the first book that really helped me understand and deal with the guilt of "upward mobility", and I think it's an important read for anyone raising a middle-class family after a childhood in poverty.

Fiction: Her Fearful Symmetry (or Still Alice, or Some Wildflower in My Heart)

Non-fiction: The Pastor's Wife (or Waiting for Snow, or Seeking the Face of God)

Picking just one is too hard! My top 10 list of books I loved:

1. Seeking the Face of God by Gary L. Thomas

2. The Pastor’s Wife by Sabina Wurmland

3. Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy by Carlos Eire

4. On the Edge of Nowhere by James Huntington & Lawrence Elliot

5. Still Alice by Lisa Genova

6. Some Wildflower in My Heart by Jamie Langston Turner

7. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

8. Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

9. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway

10. Birds, Beasts and Relatives by Gerald Durrell

11. All of Andrew McCall Smith’s No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books that I've read...and I want to read them all.