Menu

My oldest daughter's Christmas present

Anna (10) wants a desk for Christmas. We looked and looked, and the only thing we could find in our price range was cheap faux wood. We were at a thrift store one day, and she went over to look at the furniture. She came flying back and said she had found the perfect desk. It is solid wood but needed a lot of TLC, but for the price ($45), we couldn't beat it. So we bought it.

Here is the before:

post-1032-13535084243866_thumb.jpg

She really wanted white with silver pulls. Several of the pulls were broken, and I looked a looked for matching ones online. In my search I found out the desk is a 1920s Hepplewhite reproduction. Over 80 years old!! I happened to look on ebay and found a set of 12 pulls exactly like the ones I have for $50!! It's all done and ready for Christmas.

Here is the after:

post-1032-13535084244096_thumb.jpg

The pictures are not great quality because they were made with my husband's cell phone, but you get the idea. I am speechless at how beautiful it is. I am so proud of my husband, and I know Anna will LOVE it!!! She hasn't seen it since we bought it, and I can't wait to see how surprised she is when she gets it on Christmas! We only ended up spending $120 for the desk, hardware, and paint!!

Just wanted to share!

I have that desk, or at least a very close copy.

It's actually a vanity that goes with a bedroom set, but it will make a perfect desk for your dd. Ours is mahogany. The pulls you chose are almost exactly like the originals on our vanity, except that ours are more of a bronze-tone. At least I think they're a bronze color -- the bedroom set is at our other house and I'm not there to look. I like the color of your pulls better, especially now that your desk is white.

I love the way you restored it -- it came out beautifully, and I'm sure your dd will absolutely love it!

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

What an amazing gift! She will always remember this Christmas.

I have my grandparents' old dressers purchased in the '40s. I commented to my mom about how nice and solid they are and that the set must have been expensive. She said her parents never had much money--furniture was just made better back then. You have a desk that is far superior to what you can purchase today. Nice job!

Beautiful:001_smile: Your dd will love it. I didn't notice in the picture but if one day you can get a glass top made for it, it will keep the wood on top looking nice. We did that with a vanity we restored for dd and she likes to put pictures and stuff under it.

I have that desk, or at least a very close copy.

It's actually a vanity that goes with a bedroom set, but it will make a perfect desk for your dd. Ours is mahogany. The pulls you chose are almost exactly like the originals on our vanity, except that ours are more of a bronze-tone. At least I think they're a bronze color -- the bedroom set is at our other house and I'm not there to look. I like the color of your pulls better, especially now that your desk is white.

I love the way you restored it -- it came out beautifully, and I'm sure your dd will absolutely love it!

Cat

I don't have the desk, but I have a twin bedroom set in mahogany. My parents picked it up at a yard sale in a ritzy neighborhood around 1968.

Love the desk! Your dh has reason to be swollen up like a peacock.