Menu

Why does a teenager need texting?

bugs

My daughter desperately wants a new cell phone with texting capability. I really see no reason to have such a thing. My husband and I do not try to keep up with the latest technology so we do not see texting's value. I guess I see it as one step closer to living in isolation while never alone.

Anyway, I think I am asking for help to articulate to my 14 year old why she can't have it. Can y'all help?:lol:

We never allow texting on our children's phones. I want them connected to those around them, not looking down reading/writing texts on their phone.

We have a girl at church and from the time she got her phone you could never have a conversation with her. She was constantly texting! I found it completely rude.

Linda

Sorry, I am no help at all. Teens communicate via texting. The only time they actually speak on the phone is if it is an actual emergency. It is difficult enough being the odd man out with your public school friends. Sometimes conformity is not all bad.

Sorry, I can't help you. I didn't think texting was a big deal until I started. I hardly ever talk on the phone anymore :D

We did set expectations before the teens got their phones-----no texting at the table (in fact, no phones at the table, even for b'fast), no texting while in conversation with people (my sister does this and I think it's beyond rude), no texting or phone use whatsoever when you are driving, we reserve the right to read any and all texts should we deem it necessary, and so on.

No help here either. My teens have unlimited text on their phones. It's how they communicate. I like it because it's quick, to the point, and succinct. Plus, you can send messages where a phone call would otherwise be inappropriate and disruptive. We use it all the time.

I don't know how you feel about your dd's social life, but she will be left out without texting capability. If that doesn't concern you, then stick with your guns. If it will negatively impact your dd, then I would consider limited text capability.

Anyway, I think I am asking for help to articulate to my 14 year old why she can't have it. Can y'all help?:lol:

Sorry! Can't help with that one. :D

I've found that having texting abilities has added fun & joy to my and my teenagers' lives, and haven't found any drawbacks in our situation. As long as it's under control, I have no problems with texting, and find it to be a fairly economical and trouble-free method of communicating. It's also nice that my teens can text me privately about any trouble when they're out, such as, "Hey mom, I'm not sure I want to get a ride home with __________ tonight, 'cause they're acting a little weird!". And I can text back, "hey, tell them you're gonna catch a ride with mom 'cause she's in the area anyway.". Then I make it happen.

Do you have a specific reason why you're not allowing it? I know there were times (way back in history :tongue_smilie:) when people felt that installation and use of regular land lines was a sign of technology intruding upon real life. If you feel that way, it's possible that your dd may not view that reason with the same seriousness as you do. In that case, you're probably going to have to stick with the old parental stand-by, "because I said so!". :D

My daughter desperately wants a new cell phone with texting capability. I really see no reason to have such a thing. My husband and I do not try to keep up with the latest technology so we do not see texting's value. I guess I see it as one step closer to living in isolation while never alone.

We gave our then 13yodd a new phone and texting. 8 months into it, she went over her limit and we cut it off. That month she averaged texting/recieving 100 texts a day. That was too much, imo.

This isn't a texting issue as much as it is a parenting one, but she was up one night at midnight texting a young man dh and I didn't know (they met at a play they were both in). I found out by accident when he texted her the next night at 10pm and the phone was in the living room.:glare:

There were times it was useful *for me* to text instead of call, or have her text me instead of call, but it wasn't worth it for our family.

I think it depends on the personality of the teen. Our other teen wouldn't text if her life depended on it, while this one was quite obsessed with it.

You could try it for a month and see how it goes. It's easy to have it on a month by month basis.

I text all the time personally. It's nice to be able to carry on a casual conversation with someone throughout the day, without having to stop what you're doing and call the person. I might not have much to say to my mom, for instance, but it's nice to be able to shoot her a text about some minor incident about my day. Texting is something you can also do when it's not appropriate to be talking loudly on the phone. I sit outside my kid's ballet class for instance. The room is large and echoy and I'm bored, so I text people. It's also nice to be able to shoot someone a text when you simply need to update them and don't really need to call them. "Hey, I'm running ten minutes late." etc.

So, sorry, I can't help you out on articulating why texting is so unnecessary. I just ungraded my text plan from 1000 a month to unlimited. :)

We have it because it's easier for us to keep in contact with our teens when they are gone from us. My kids don't abuse it and they have unlimited texting.

:iagree:

Right now my kids have Tracphones, so they really limit their own texting. I, however, have unlimited texting because I love it! We're going to add our kids to our plan next april when my dh's plan runs out.

We gave our then 13yodd a new phone and texting. 8 months into it, she went over her limit and we cut it off. That month she averaged texting/recieving 100 texts a day. That was too much, imo.

This isn't a texting issue as much as it is a parenting one, but she was up one night at midnight texting a young man dh and I didn't know (they met at a play they were both in). I found out by accident when he texted her the next night at 10pm and the phone was in the living room.:glare:

In our house we have an electronics charging station. All electronics-phone, nintendo ds, ipods, etc must be plugged in to the charging station at night.

I think it's important to realize that our kids will have different wants than we had when we were that age. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. It's also important to realize that our kids will use technology differently than we will. That's okay, too.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with texting. I do say that I don't care for sending and receiving hundreds of texts/day. With some kids, technology can get out of hand or out of balance quickly.

What we did is get texting, but limited. We paid for a plan for 100 texts per month. This way, they could still stay in the loop with their friends. However, the limited amount kept them from having entire conversations day after day over their phones thought texting.

I started using texting last year. I only do about 20/month, and they are usually regarding logistical issues. I've found it convenient and fun to use texting.

The biggest challenge, IMO, is the texting while driving. I still see it nearly every single day. It's SO unsafe. Teens don't think about the danger. I know of no answer, either.

True. I've warned ds to absolutely not text while driving. Here a teen can lose their license until 18 if they are caught talking or texting while driving. I don't text and drive. I have my kids text people back or take my calls when I'm driving.

Dd just got a cell phone, but she is only allowed to call us.

Emails are out of control her and IM's, so I dont think texting is in their future.

Anyway, isnt anyone worried about carpal tunnel syndrome, good time to send kids to ortho surgeons, we are going to need it in ten years.

My Dh and I are adults, we both have android phones and neither of us texts. So no one needs it. We just email each other and it alerts us. That way we never have to pay text fees.

Don't android phones cost more? We haven't switched to smart phones here because of the costs involved.

OP- A month ago I agreed w/ you. But I have a 14 yo w/ a tracfone. It's cheaper to text- he gets 3 texts for every one minute of phone use. Plus, he is 14, if I need to send him a message- his friends don't know it's me, and can't rag on him cuz his mommy called- ya know. Oh, and I don't have text on mine, but I am going to get it, so I can text him if needed. :(

We text quit a bit around here, but not to the exclusion of face-to-face communication. I think it's a mistake to believe that it has to be that way.

Of course, everyone knows the kid who won't put down the phone at dinner or during church. Similarly, 20 years ago everyone knew the kid who spent every waking hour on the phone with her girlfriends.

IMO it's a discipline issue and different families have different standards.

My boys don't answer thier phones or read incoming texts when they are in the middle of a conversation with someone. They know that is rude.

They also turn their phones off completely when it is appropriate (school concerts, in church, at family meals, etc.).

It requires setting a few strict ground rules before the phone comes into the house, as well as a lot of discussion about appropriate phone/texting behavior and others' perceptions of the same.

Don't android phones cost more? We haven't switched to smart phones here because of the costs involved.

At least with AT&T, it's the same cost per month to have either unlimited texting or the data plan. With a smart phone you have to have the data plan, but we haven't needed texting b/c dh can do email and IM'ing and facebook. And he really needs the texting equivalents b/c he works with the youth, and they *all* do texting/online stuff instead of actual phoning.

I love that my kids have texting. They keep in touch with their friends this way, and it's much easier and quicker than actually talking on the phone. (Which they still do sometimes.)

I have no problem with my kids communicating with their friends, each other and with me via text. I really do not see the problem at all, and it has a lot of benefits.

We do have basic rules of etiquette in place, just like with anything else. No texting at the dinner table, phones are turned off during church, the symphony or music lessons, no texting during school hours, and you don't text while talking to friends (IRL).

My kids' social skills haven't been harmed by using texting--or facebook. In fact, they seem more outgoing than they used to be, when they went to public school and saw their friends face to face every day. Weird. :glare:

I "heart" texting. I text, email, facebook, instant message, shop, look for recipes, read books and such all on my phone.

I leave it alone while driving (well unless I need to check the time, the clock int he van doesn't work).

I do keep it under my pillow when sleeping... it is my alarm clock.

Love my phone...I would certainly consider one for my daughter (13 in Jan) if her attitude about chores would improve :)

Funny you should ask. I have three with texting. Oldest does great and rarely texts except with friends texting things like, "Can you get me for youth?" No problem with him and how we communicate when he is not home.

Middle two just lost their phones indefinitely. Why? They were texting someone excessively, even when they asked them not to in our church. Now, this might not sound right, but I think my boys are very naive when it comes to girls and the games they play, IYKWIM. Seems they haven't changed that much since I was a girl. Long story short, public schooled girls text my sons. They text back. They explain boyfriend problems and how mean someone is being to them. My guys, the knights in shining armor text thinking they are helping. Said girl then decides she likes this boyfriend and my guys are "burned" because they are still texting about how mean they were to her. This has been going on for quite some time, back and forth stuff. I warned them three months ago to stop texting this particular group of girls at our church as I felt they were using them. Did they listen to my wise advice? Of course not and I was confronted by the girl's mom at church because my son texts her too much. I don't think they are all in the wrong but a break from texting isn't bad either.

All this to say, when I do let them have their phones back, I will block texting except from the family numbers and a few others I choose. I just think for some children it becomes an obsession too easily. And, for what it's worth, since they don't have phones and/or access to Facebook, they have been playing Monopoly, Scrabble and card games together. Now, I'm loving this!!

I think you need to think about the individual's personality. My oldest is fine with his but the other two are sunk. Since we have always home educated, this has become a sort of public school infiltration in the middle school years of the whole scene we want to avoid. I think my guys being naive doesn't help them with this either. I plan to err on the side of seclusion from texting for a while.

We have been pretty rigid about the phones for our kids. They couldn't get one till they could afford to pay the bill. My 16, almost 17, yr old just got his first phone at the end of July. We set rules too...

Not till 2 in the afternoon, that way breakfast, school and lunch can get out of the way.

He can't use it at work.

No Sundays.

And no texting after bedtime, generally 11, 12 on the weekends.

Now having said all that, I have seen my 15 yr old loose some of the closeness she was gathering with friends because they ALL communicate day to day and keep up with each other via text. A lot of times it is easier to get unlimited text then talk. Now she feels out of the loop. They are making plans, connecting and building bonds, while she has no phone. We have since reconsidered some of our stance. We are looking at adding at least 1 other phone now, but she gets an allowance and is happy to pay for some, too.

I definitely agree. Maturity accounts for a lot with phone trust. My 12yos may not get a phone until he is 16. He has impulse control issues and that combined with phone privileges or facebook equals big trouble.

Funny you should ask. I have three with texting. Oldest does great and rarely texts except with friends texting things like, "Can you get me for youth?" No problem with him and how we communicate when he is not home.

Middle two just lost their phones indefinitely. Why? They were texting someone excessively, even when they asked them not to in our church. Now, this might not sound right, but I think my boys are very naive when it comes to girls and the games they play, IYKWIM. Seems they haven't changed that much since I was a girl. Long story short, public schooled girls text my sons. They text back. They explain boyfriend problems and how mean someone is being to them. My guys, the knights in shining armor text thinking they are helping. Said girl then decides she likes this boyfriend and my guys are "burned" because they are still texting about how mean they were to her. This has been going on for quite some time, back and forth stuff. I warned them three months ago to stop texting this particular group of girls at our church as I felt they were using them. Did they listen to my wise advice? Of course not and I was confronted by the girl's mom at church because my son texts her too much. I don't think they are all in the wrong but a break from texting isn't bad either.

All this to say, when I do let them have their phones back, I will block texting except from the family numbers and a few others I choose. I just think for some children it becomes an obsession too easily. And, for what it's worth, since they don't have phones and/or access to Facebook, they have been playing Monopoly, Scrabble and card games together. Now, I'm loving this!!

I think you need to think about the individual's personality. My oldest is fine with his but the other two are sunk. Since we have always home educated, this has become a sort of public school infiltration in the middle school years of the whole scene we want to avoid. I think my guys being naive doesn't help them with this either. I plan to err on the side of seclusion from texting for a while.

I have to admit that I was a curmudgeon about my daughter getting a phone. I finally gave in when she demonstrated some exceptional advances in maturity and responsibility. I have to say that she went from having few friends to having a lot of friends. I don't think it was all due to texting, but I certainly think it helped. Texting is how kids communicate these days. It just is, and kids can absolutely be out of the loop if they don't text. Normally I'm completely unconcerned about being hip and in the loop, but it really has a made a huge difference for my daughter (who is 16).

I have a phone with texting and I find it quite useful. It's a lot easier to ask and answer questions without having to interrupt someone by calling them. I can send a text and the person can answer me when its convenient for her or him. No muss, no fuss. I can let my friend who is far away know I am thinking of him without worrying that I am calling at an inconvenient time. I can send my dh a reminder to pick up x/y/z at the store on the way home without interrupting his workday. Texting has made me more efficient.

I will say, however, that I have had a hard time getting my dd to adhere to standard cell phone/texting etiquette. We have had to place restrictions on the time/place she can use her phone since she was unable to correctly monitor her own cell phone behavior.

Tara

texting is such a main form of communication with youth today ~ it's very difficult to be a part of things if you don't have that option.

i'm not talking about just chatting either - i mean making plans, getting instructions, directions, finding out about changes, etc. one of the big youth groups here sends out notices about events via text, email, and facebook...

They don't need it.

I'd ask yourself why you don't want them to have it and then just be honest with them.

I don't live in the texting world though. My husband and I don't use our cell phones all that often and rarely text. I don't even view cell phones as a necessity.

I don't even view cell phones as a necessity.

They aren't, but house phones aren't a necessity either. One could certainly survive without a phone. It would be inconvenient but not life-threatening. :lol: (Sorry, I crack myself up!) I didn't get a cell phone until I was 32. I couldn't understand the hype until friends and family started complaining that it was hard to get ahold of us when plans changed or whatever. I could never understand why people dumped their land lines and went completely wireless. Then our cordless phone (with answering machine) broke and, due to finances, we never replaced it. We now have an old-fashioned plugged-into-the-wall phone, and if we don't answer it, people can't leave messages. It's amazing how little the house phone gets used now! People text us or call our cell phones instead. We were actually going to dump the house phone completely until the phone company agreed to reduce our bill to $8 a month.

Tara

For my older son, his college sends out emergency notes via text. It is the quickest way to know school is closed due to weather, tornado warning (often before the siren goes off), or any other emergency. For younger, it's the quickest way to know of a change in plans by many people, friends, youth group, etc. Especially if you don't get email to your phone.

I'm no help. Sooory. I'm texting my kids all the time.

Be there in 5 min. You done yet? Daddy will pick you up tonight, be out front. what do you want for dinner? Pickup bread?

For the longest time I fought it--and then I had to because I was picking up and dropping off and that's when it started. The total ease with communication. I even text my Mom and she texts me. ;) My kids text eachother, and my daughter has been able to stay in touch with the friends she moved away from --which is very, very sweet.

Edited by justamouse

I think texting is a very useful and practical thing. I don't text because my brain just can't take in another form of technology. I'm so slow at these sorts of things. But my dh texts and sometimes he can get through to the teens to discuss something when calling is inappropriate. I can't think of a situation right now (my brain is on the fritz) but it has come up several times now and has been quite helpful.

Even though I'm slow at catching on I think technology can be used for good! Just cuz it is different doesn't mean it is bad. We let our teens have phones with texting and we have not had any problems at all. I think it is kind of negative or sort of fear based to just reject something out of hand because you are unfamiliar with it. If it becomes a problem then you can address the issue. But assuming it will be a problem basically shows a distrust (which might be appropriate, I don't know your dd and maybe she can't handle things like this maturely.) But how will you ever know, if she isn't given a chance? I think often teens rise to the occasion.

So I guess I'm not any help either because I think texting is a good thing!

Texting is easy, convenient, and quick. It's great for arranging transportation, notifying people of changes in plans, or giving quick reminders.

Unfortunately, it *can* be abused, and I have one dd who has had some difficulties. We had to put some major restrictions on, and used parental controls for a couple years. She has straightened herself out, and now uses it responsibly and without problems.

She is on a dance team and gets frequent texts from her coach about changes in practice times, updates on what to bring or wear, etc. It would be a real problem for her if she didn't have it. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be a real pain.

I don't even view cell phones as a necessity.

i used to be exactly like that ~ i didn't have a cell until a little over two years ago... and then i realized - there aren't any payphones left! seriously - look around...unless you live in an unsual area, i bet you'll be hard pressed to find any (or at least any that WORK!) ... so aside from being a crackberry addict (hey - when i did cave, i went good :p ) - i actually see them as somewhat of a need... for emergencies, at the very least.

imagine - you hit a slippy patch and go smoof! right off the road into the ditch, nose buried under six feet of snow. now what? years ago you could have cursed & growled and walked a ways to the nearest payphone - now? not so much. but hey, if you have your cell - call your buddy and tell him to bring rope & coffee. :D

Texting isn't a necessity, but when my kids are away from the house, I want them to have a quick way to reach me. We made the decision to get our oldest daughter a cell phone when she went to Nashville for a youth trip. I didn't want to leave anything to fate and just hope she could get to a phone or borrow a phone in a pinch.

Also, we live out in the country, and my oldest likes to explore. She likes to go to neighboring farms to pet the cows and horses or help out one of our neighbors in the horse stalls. There are wooded areas so I can't always see her from the front porch. All in all, she has about a 1/2 mile in any direction to run around in. It makes me feel better about giving her a little independence if I know she has her phone in her pocket and can give me a call or text me if there's a problem.

Our kids' phones come with rules, and they can be quickly confiscated if a rule is broken. It's a trump card we play pretty often. :lol:

I'm in the I can't help you on that one camp. My older 2 both have cell phones with text capability. They never text inappropriately (at the dinner table, at church, at public events, family gatherings, etc). I've never had to direct them on that issue either. I don't know how some teens get to the point of texting so constantly and not interacting with others. Dh uses texting and picked out the phones for the kids. Texting is how they talk to friends. They don't pick up the phone and call someone to get details on the change in practice time or other stuff, they text. Texting accomplishes the same thing as utilitarian phone use.

If texting were a problem the phone would be taken away for a while. That would be sad because my kids are required to have their phones with them when they go to something without me and they go to all kinds of things without me (sports practice, music lessons, fitness activities, 4H, social gatherings, community events, etc). Pay phones are gone, gone, gone. So, I view the cell phone they each have as a safety device. If they don't have the cell phone and I can't sit through the practice or whatever it is they have on their schedule, they don't go.

I've discovered a useful side of texting too, with a 16 yo who has anxiety and depression issues. When my ds is angry with me and we are unable to communicate, I can text him. I can tell him I love him, when things have gotten really bad. We are in the midst of big mental health issues mixed with teenage growing up and it's been hard. But I can still send him a text when we can't talk and I am grateful. If you have a more run of the mill teen, you may not understand.

When you say "new cell phone", I assume that means to replace an old cell phone. If she's proven she can handle a cell without texting just fine, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume she can handle a cell WITH texting equally fine.

But, if you don't want her to text, "because I said so" or "because it's more expensive" (if that's the case) is really all I can suggest.

"Because we don't think this is a good idea at this time."' I don't think you owe her a big explanation, nothing more than you've already written in your post here.

My dd doesn't text. She doesn't have a phone. She'll survive. I'm not worried about it.

We do not have texting. I have seen it abused so often.

At family gatherings the other children and teens' phones buzz the entire time- during games, movies, dinner, while talking to people, even while opening Christmas presents.

It drives me beyond nuts. I think it is over the top rude. We had it on our oldest son's phone and I found he was getting texts all through the night. Then we started getting big bills even with unlimited text. It seems that bunches of pictures or some such were not included in that unlimited section. So I shut off the texting on his phone. He decided he would rather pay for a plan of his own in order just to have it all, so I said go for it.

I've discovered a useful side of texting too, with a 16 yo who has anxiety and depression issues. When my ds is angry with me and we are unable to communicate, I can text him. I can tell him I love him, when things have gotten really bad. We are in the midst of big mental health issues mixed with teenage growing up and it's been hard. But I can still send him a text when we can't talk and I am grateful. If you have a more run of the mill teen, you may not understand.

This has been the case for us, too. In fact, just this week my dd has been having a rough time mood-wise. At some point we discussed the genetics projects they are doing in science, and she said her teacher had to modify some of them for her because she's not genetically related to us. One morning, when they were going to do blood typing, she left the house in a horrendous mood (not because of the blood typing) and never said goodbye. When I knew she had reached the bus stop, I sent her the following text: "Btw, when you do the blood typing thing don't be shocked if your results don't match Daddy's and mine. We never told you, but you were adopted. ;)" (Dd was a tween when adopted and is of a different race.) I got back a text that said ":) :) :) :) :) :) LOL!"

Anyway, way off topic but I, too, find that texting can be beneficial for breaking the ice when emotions are strained.

Tara

i used to be exactly like that ~ i didn't have a cell until a little over two years ago... and then i realized - there aren't any payphones left! seriously - look around...unless you live in an unsual area, i bet you'll be hard pressed to find any (or at least any that WORK!) ... so aside from being a crackberry addict (hey - when i did cave, i went good :p ) - i actually see them as somewhat of a need... for emergencies, at the very least.

imagine - you hit a slippy patch and go smoof! right off the road into the ditch, nose buried under six feet of snow. now what? years ago you could have cursed & growled and walked a ways to the nearest payphone - now? not so much. but hey, if you have your cell - call your buddy and tell him to bring rope & coffee. :D

The good news is everyone else on the planet has one. LOL. Nah, that's why we keep paying for our cell phones. 110 degrees and I break down in the desert, I want to be able to contact someone.

I just don't necessarily buy into the *need* to be connected or available all the time. And honestly, I think it is rude that society assumes we are available. Just the very idea that a youth group could choose to make last minute changes, txt msg everyone, and assume that everyone got the message, kinda irks me. LOL. I'm a dinosaur.