Menu

Happy Reformation Day!!!

Back at ya!

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

God bless us one and all! He is so good!

Amen! We are celebrating Reformation Day at Concordia Lutheran Church in Clearwater, NE today too..

Celebrating today, at three churches!

I get to sing Ein Feste Burg at least twice!

Trombones will be involved at least once!

It's a great day!

"Thy Word they still shall let remain

Nor any thanks have for it.

He's by our side upon the plain

With His good gifts and Spirit."

"Salvation unto us has come

By God's free grace and favor.

Good works cannot avert our doom.

They help and save us never.

Faith looks to Jesus Christ alone

Who did for all the world atone.

He is our one Redeemer."

Sola! Sola! Sola!

Happy day to all for remembering the matchless grace of Christ!

I think we may watch Luther tonight. Pin the theses on the church door... Too funny, Jean! By the way, I am curious to hear how Sunday School went for your gang this morning, as well as dh's preaching day.

"To him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

"...[God] takes to Himself the title of "Him that justifieth the ungodly." He makes those just who are unjust, forgives those who deserve to be punished, and favors those who deserve no favor.

You thought, did you not, that salvation was for the good? that God's grace was for the pure and holy, who are free from sin? It has fallen into your mind that, if you were excellent, then God would reward you; and you have thought that because you are not worthy, therefore there could be no way of your enjoying His favor. You must be somewhat surprised to read a text like this: "Him that justifieth the ungodly. "

I do not wonder that you are surprised; for with all my familiarity with the great grace of God, I never cease to wonder at it. It does sound surprising, does it not, that it should be possible for a holy God to justify an unholy man? We, according to the natural legality of our hearts, are always talking about our own goodness and our own worthiness, and we stubbornly hold to it that there must be somewhat in us in order to win the notice of God.

Now, God, who sees through all deceptions, knows that there is no goodness whatever in us. He says that "there is none righteous, no not one." He knows that "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags," and, therefore the Lord Jesus did not come into the world to look after goodness and righteousness with him, [but] to bestow them upon persons who have none of them. He comes, not because we are just, but to make us so: he justifieth the ungodly."

Excerpt from All of Grace: An Earnest Word with Those Who Are Seeking Salvation by the Lord Jesus Christ

The whole book is available to read on-line for free at: http://www.spurgeon.org/all_of_g.htm

May the Lord Bless you,

Jen

Yes! Happy Reformation Day to you all too!

Romans 8

29For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

31What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?

Our family celebrates because we are Reformed but none of the churches around here do anything.

Don't you think that's so weird? My church is openly "Calvinist" and reformed, but no mention this morning. I was kind of let down. Of course Halloween wasn't mentioned either, so that's something I guess. I don't know, I guess we don't need everything turned into some kind of Hallmark holiday. And Martin Luther's name did come up at some point as part of the sermon. *shrug* We're using today as a day to pause and reflect on God's plan for His church and how that has played out in history. Might watch "Luther" tonight too!

Sola! Sola! Sola!

Happy day to all for remembering the matchless grace of Christ!

I think we may watch Luther tonight. Pin the theses on the church door... Too funny, Jean! By the way, I am curious to hear how Sunday School went for your gang this morning, as well as dh's preaching day.

The problem with pinning the thesis on the Wittenburg door is that you have too big a target. Maybe I'll have to change to the beard on the theologian idea.;)

Sunday school and church went well. Ds13 survived quite well at home.

We did have a small Reformation Day trivia time at the start of church. I knew many of the answers but couldn't remember the time period for Luther:blushing: Got to work on that timeline!

Don't you think that's so weird? My church is openly "Calvinist" and reformed, but no mention this morning. I was kind of let down. Of course Halloween wasn't mentioned either, so that's something I guess. I don't know, I guess we don't need everything turned into some kind of Hallmark holiday. And Martin Luther's name did come up at some point as part of the sermon. *shrug* We're using today as a day to pause and reflect on God's plan for His church and how that has played out in history. Might watch "Luther" tonight too!

Though I do wish that churches would celebrate more often. I guess I'm a bit jealous of those with a liturgical calendar.

Our church is nondenominational and doesn't really do anything special for any of the holidays other than the obligatory children's Christmas program.

"To him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

"...[God] takes to Himself the title of "Him that justifieth the ungodly." He makes those just who are unjust, forgives those who deserve to be punished, and favors those who deserve no favor.

You thought, did you not, that salvation was for the good? that God's grace was for the pure and holy, who are free from sin? It has fallen into your mind that, if you were excellent, then God would reward you; and you have thought that because you are not worthy, therefore there could be no way of your enjoying His favor. You must be somewhat surprised to read a text like this: "Him that justifieth the ungodly. "

I do not wonder that you are surprised; for with all my familiarity with the great grace of God, I never cease to wonder at it. It does sound surprising, does it not, that it should be possible for a holy God to justify an unholy man? We, according to the natural legality of our hearts, are always talking about our own goodness and our own worthiness, and we stubbornly hold to it that there must be somewhat in us in order to win the notice of God.

Now, God, who sees through all deceptions, knows that there is no goodness whatever in us. He says that "there is none righteous, no not one." He knows that "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags," and, therefore the Lord Jesus did not come into the world to look after goodness and righteousness with him, [but] to bestow them upon persons who have none of them. He comes, not because we are just, but to make us so: he justifieth the ungodly."

Excerpt from All of Grace: An Earnest Word with Those Who Are Seeking Salvation by the Lord Jesus Christ

The whole book is available to read on-line for free at: http://www.spurgeon.org/all_of_g.htm

May the Lord Bless you,

Jen

:hurray:

"So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!" M.L.

:thumbup:

"So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!" M.L.

Sola Scriptura - Scripture Alone

Solus Christus - Christ Alone

Sola Gratia - Grace Alone

Sola Fide - Faith Alone

Soli Deo Gloria - The Glory of God Alone

A Mighty Fortress is Our God

Music and Lyrics by Martin Luther - 1529

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;

Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:

For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;

His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,

On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;

Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God's own choosing:

Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;

Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,

And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,

We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:

The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;

His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,

One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;

The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:

Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;

The body they may kill: God's truth abideth still,

His kingdom is forever.

Though I do wish that churches would celebrate more often. I guess I'm a bit jealous of those with a liturgical calendar.

Our church is nondenominational and doesn't really do anything special for any of the holidays other than the obligatory children's Christmas program.

Are you my twin? I feel the same way!

Reformation Day wrap up:

Divine Service at my home church

followed by

Divine Service at another local church that I really, really like

followed by

Festival Vespers -- multiple churches participating, up the road, with me in the mass choir (Yes, that was me singing the first alto part all by myself. Good thing it was kind of short.) The best organist in town, plus a timpany and at least 7 brass players, 3 descants that I remember, maybe 4, plus 2-3 anthems, in addition to about 5 great congregational hymns. Yowsa!

followed by

A big ol traditional feed--bratwurst, spaetle, saurkraut, cucumber sour cream salad, apple crisp

(3 great Reformation sermons. Woah.)

This is pretty excessive for me, but is deeply satisfying and wonderful once a year.

Whew!