Menu

At what age do your kids stop "doing" Halloween?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age 11 was the last year we trick or treated when I was a kid. My mother was really against older kids going around the neighborhood begging for candy. She really thought trick or treating should be a little kids' thing because of the amount of candy being demanded and a lot of the older kids tended to grab a handful. My friends quit about the same age. When we got older, we dressed up and did parties, just didn't go around asking for candy.

I guess I agree about the age limit; it seems like taking advantage for older kids to come around. But that may just be because of how I was brought up.

I also think trick or treating is for the younger set. I would still let my kids ToT at 11 and 12, but I don't think I want my teenagers trick or treating. And mine already like passing out candy better than collecting it--they only go out for about 20 minutes or so. A couple of my reasons:

1) I don't really like trick or treaters who are bigger than I am. I think it's a bit intimidating. If I lived in the house I grew up in I would be more scared--we were not in the incorporated part of the city and there were no street lights. And I don't really see a lot of amazing, creative, fun, innocent costumes. The costumes that appeal to teenagers are not necessarily what I want to see at my door.

2) In these parts, a local dentist will buy your Halloween candy for $1 a pound. I know kids who try to collect as much candy as possible in order to sell it to the dentist. This is not a holiday tradition that I want any part of--why exactly should I spend money on candy to give kids for them to sell to a dentist who will throw it away???? I think I would rather not spend the money. And of course this appeals to the older kids more than the little kids. I will buy enough candy to last about an hour and a half. All of the little kids go out early and if we run out by 7:30, I'm okay with that.

I'm all for older kids celebrating the holiday with costumes or at parties, I just think they can leave the trick-or-treating to the elementary set.

:iagree: Sukkot & Halloween are my favorite holidays, with T'giving being a close third. OK, Purim is an awesome 4th. Any reason for a drink. ;) lol

Around here teens still trick-or-treat. I give out handfuls of candy, spider rings, Halloween erasers, things like that. I get Halloween teddy grahams and such for the toddlers.

HOWEVER, if teens show up at my door without a costume? I give them a set of vampire teeth (I give away probably 20-30 each year) and make them put them in before giving them candy. No costume, no candy. I've only had one teen ever refuse.

I love Halloween, we go all out!

My daughter was done ToT'ing by 13, but son still wants to go at 14. I really wish he'd outgrow it, but at least he dresses up. Older teens come to our door who haven't even made an attempt at a costume. My husband gives them a hard time before he hands over the goods. :D

:)One son was Tinkerbell last year. His gf put it together. He looked fabulous in a tiara. ;) Older kids can come up with so many awesome costumes...I would never want to miss that. lol i think this world could do with more parties, and more dressing up! More fun! More laughter!

My daughter went last year when she was 18...I told her...ok, but really it had to be the LAST year, LOL. She was not embarrassed in the least except when we teased her a little. ;) I think it felt to her like the last little shred of being a kid.

My oldest son who was 16 also went last year. They both dressed up and had a great time. They (well actually mostly my 6 foot son) did get a few comments...like "Gee, aren't you a little old for this?" but most people enjoyed commenting on their costumes, etc.

This year only Otter is going to actually Trick-or-Treat. The others will probably dress up though.

Around our neighborhood we've seen plenty of really "big" kids high school age.

I'm going to miss it when Otter is too big!

:001_smile:

My vote is let your 11 yr. old go and have a great time! :D

Awww! I'm so glad that my parents let me trick or treat until I wanted to stop. I believe it was the year I got married....I was 19 LOL! I dressed up each year and it was so much fun!

I definitely do not mind giving teenagers candy as long as they are dressed up and are being respecful and not rude.

Just curious....if there's nowhere to trick or treat in your area, then what is the issue with your son wanting to go trick or treating? It sounds as though he wouldn't be able to even if you allowed him to.

The expense of buying a costume you are going to wear once was always so silly to me.

Wear Once? Oh, no, no, no, no. Ours always went into the dress up bin to be played w/ over and over for years, until they just can't fit at all. And Even then, some can be used for "parts". :D I always loved going out and hitting the after halloween sales, to find more dress-up clothes (aka next year's costumes).

In my circles, 6th grade (age 11-12) was the typical last year of trick-or-treating. I personally think it is fine for older teens as long as they are in costume and respectful. Dressing up in costumes for parties or accompanying smaller kids while in costume never ends!

Some things about Halloween I do not like. But I love having all of the neighbor kids coming to the door. I don't care how old they are, I give them candy.

Childhood is so short in some ways and you can't get it back. If I let my children trick-or-treat (and I do ) I would let them at the age of 11.

Why not ? Unless you don't want them to for some other reason. I wouldn't let an 11 year old go out in the dark to trick-or-treat alone. But that is another issue.

Do you just not want to take him any longer ?

My youngest daughter, age 15, is not very interested in Halloween. She won't wear a costume anymore. She just told me that the Minnie Mouse costume I had her wear when she was about 10 was embarrassing. I thought it was adorable. LOL

She did like the cow with the udder on it that would moo. hehehehe

Edited by Miss Sherry

My oldest son is 11.... and He thinks I am unfair because his little brother will get candy and he won't (whoopee...LOL).

I think you are being unfair to him too. I think he is too young to be left out of a special occasion that includes candy. In my opinion, you are setting him up to feel like you are favoring the younger child, which he knows is unfair, and you are unnecessarily tempting him to envy his little brother. That is not good.

I know everything in life is not always fair. But that does not make it right or good to create unfair situations between siblings.

Wear Once? Oh, no, no, no, no. Ours always went into the dress up bin to be played w/ over and over for years, until they just can't fit at all. And Even then, some can be used for "parts". :D I always loved going out and hitting the after halloween sales, to find more dress-up clothes (aka next year's costumes).

LOL! That's the way it is here, too. My middle son is a huge Star Wars fan and loves it when I buy him costumes that are 90% off a week or two after Halloween! He has quite the dress-up drawer because of it, and I see those costumes, or parts thereof, played with all year long.

I haven't put an upper age on TOT, but my oldest will be 13 soon and wants to stay home to hand out candy. :( My DH is a dud when it comes to TOT--he only wants to walk up and down our street. So this year, I am taking my middle son and my baby out and we are hitting the entire neighborhood and a friend's neighborhood, too, while leaving DS1 and dad at home. (I might leave the baby home after we're finished with ours.) My dad was the best at driving us all over town on Halloween and I want my kids to experience that kind of fun, too.

Our HS group is also having a Halloween party the Friday before, and I can't wait! I just love this time of year!

...... I mean going around from house to house begging for candy while dressed up. .........

The connotation of "begging" does not apply to Halloween because when someone purchases candy for trick-or-treaters,it is understood in our society that the trick-or-treaters are invited to ask for the candy, unless the lights are off. I think children are perfectly capable of differentiating between a once a year tradition and begging in other settings. Children have been known to be insightful enough to make the distinction. :D:lol:

Let the poor kid be a kid!! He is ONLY 11.

Seriously I remember TOT up thru middle school. It was FUN. It isn't just about the candy - it is about the creativity and imagination and the sheer fun of being someone else for a night. It is pretend play for older kids in a social, acceptable setting. YAY for pretend play!!

Last year we TOT with a bunch of other families - most of the parents were dressed up, did we go to the doors with our kiddos to get candy, no. But we had a blast being all dressed up. We are dressing up this year per DS's request (he has a family StarWars theme he wants LOL).

Honestly the best costumes I saw last year were the high school kids who took initiative and made their own. One girl was a Wheaties box - AWESOME!! ANd these two guys rigged up a "out paddling in a canoe" costume - it was amazing.

2) In these parts, a local dentist will buy your Halloween candy for $1 a pound. I know kids who try to collect as much candy as possible in order to sell it to the dentist. This is not a holiday tradition that I want any part of--why exactly should I spend money on candy to give kids for them to sell to a dentist who will throw it away???? I think I would rather not spend the money. And of course this appeals to the older kids more than the little kids. I will buy enough candy to last about an hour and a half. All of the little kids go out early and if we run out by 7:30, I'm okay with that.

Our dentist does a candy trade in too - but he sends all the collected candy to troops overseas. While we don't participate in the trade in, I love the idea. If dS TOT in the normal fashion I would definitely participate.

But due to his allergies and the severity of his reactions (just coming in contact with outside of peanutbutter cup wrappers is enough to cause almost instant hives and wheezing and require serious doses of medication) - I purchase special safe candy (more often fruit leather and raisins LOL), pencils, stickers, small toys, light up rings, etc and wrap them in goodies bags to prevent contamination and go out BEFORE he TOTs and give them to the various houses in the areas. For us, it is not about the candy though. We usually have the lollipops and such left over and re-use them for his Easter basket. LOL

We TOT for the sheer joy of TOT. It is fun to dress up and go out with friends. I refuse to deprive my child of that activity - that childhood rite of passage. I would not spend over and hour handing out candy to strangers and humbling myself at each and every house simply for DS to get candy....That said most people open the doors and offer me candy, even when I am not in costume! :D

My oldest son is 11 and I have told him that he is too old to dress up and go trick-or-treating. He thinks I am unfair because his little brother will get candy and he won't (whoopee...LOL). I just think there comes a time when dressing up for trick-or-treating is too childish. My son thinks I am crazy. So...what says the hive? How do you deal with this in your home (obviously, if you celebrate Halloween, that is)?

If you are dead set against him going trick or treating, then I would find another, better way for him to celebrate. When our olders stopped trick or treating they became responsible for the house set up and giving away the candy. Our house and yard always looked amazing! They had more fun that way. If you live somewhere you don't get a lot of trick or treaters then I would let them have a Halloween party for their freinds. But I don't think 11 is to old.

DS stopped with Halloween activities when he was 14 and we moved to Belgium. Actually I think he helped with the Harvest Carnival that our chapel set up along with a trunk or treat. DD17 will still go out this year with DD13 and friends (13, 12, 10 and I don't know if the 16 yo is also going). We don't have that many kids living here and the adults all like the kids coming. For the most part, this neighborhood has older elementary to high school kids with a scattering of preschoolers and younger elementary and many, many people whose children have grown. It is fun for us adults too.

What I don't like is people who have no connection to an area driving into the area to trick and treat. I am not talking about someone coming over to TOT with friends or grandparents inviting their grandkids to TOT in the neighborhood. We haven't had this problem here but we did in our last place with was more accessible.

As long as they dress up, are polite and look out for little ones, I don't care how long they trick-or-treat. My teens are planning on all of us going out as a zombie family this year--they want to shuffle through the neighborhood streets aimlessly for a while first, but I'm not sure about that. LOL!!

Santa and easter bunny stops when they are teens.

I think Halloween should end at about the same age.

My older boys dress up, but they don't ring bells much unless it's for their younger siblings when we go out as a family.

There's a time to out aside childish things and in our home that is when they are teens.

But Easter and Halloween are my favorite holidays!!!

My son is 11 and I told him this is his last year. He was not happy to hear this.

His 13 year old sister (turning 14 the week after Halloween) is going trick or treating with him also. Last hurrah for both of them.

They get very excited about collecting the candy. My son will eat at most 2 pieces and my daughter 0 pieces. I have very odd children.

I would be worried about the double standard. If I were your ds, I would wonder why my cut-off for TOT was 11, while my sister continued until almost 14.

I remember naturally quitting after 7th grade. 7th grade was the first year of Junior High, and it seemed uncool to continue past that. I guess I would have been 13 my last year. We had originally told dd14 the same "rule" but I have reconsidered since she is respectful and in costume. I will let her go this year if she chooses.

Santa and easter bunny stops when they are teens.

see now, santa never stops in our house. :D

we still pretend ~ stockings, cookies & carrot (the kids love waking up to cookie crumbs & chomped carrot bits - even though they 'know' that it was dh and i munching LOL), presents "from santa" .... it's all just fun. ;)

Wow..11 is too old????

You might as well call-off Santa too....way too old for Christmas.....

Um, yeah, he hasn't believed in Santa since he was about 8. We still "do" Santa for him...but actually that is going to stop this year too (he will be at his dad's for Christmas) and my younger son is already started to ask questions about Santa. I'd say that, by NEXT year, neither will believe in Santa...at which time, unwrapped presents under the tree to come out and find on Christmas morning will stop. Of course, the same amount of gifts will be bought...they will just be wrapped for the kids to open on Christmas morning with the family. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

Age 11 was the last year we trick or treated when I was a kid. My mother was really against older kids going around the neighborhood begging for candy. She really thought trick or treating should be a little kids' thing because of the amount of candy being demanded and a lot of the older kids tended to grab a handful. My friends quit about the same age. When we got older, we dressed up and did parties, just didn't go around asking for candy.

I guess I agree about the age limit; it seems like taking advantage for older kids to come around. But that may just be because of how I was brought up.

:iagree:

Awww! I'm so glad that my parents let me trick or treat until I wanted to stop. I believe it was the year I got married....I was 19 LOL! I dressed up each year and it was so much fun!

I definitely do not mind giving teenagers candy as long as they are dressed up and are being respecful and not rude.

Just curious....if there's nowhere to trick or treat in your area, then what is the issue with your son wanting to go trick or treating? It sounds as though he wouldn't be able to even if you allowed him to.

He could. He could dress up, stand in line with the rest of the kids in the entire county in one parking lot, at one church, and do the trunk or treat. Blah. No thanks.

I think you are being unfair to him too. I think he is too young to be left out of a special occasion that includes candy. In my opinion, you are setting him up to feel like you are favoring the younger child, which he knows is unfair, and you are unnecessarily tempting him to envy his little brother. That is not good.

I know everything in life is not always fair. But that does not make it right or good to create unfair situations between siblings.

Except for the years my older ds spent trick-or-treating that my younger son spent not alive yet. :confused: I definitely don't think I am being unfair. As a matter of fact, we have decided (dh and I) that the younger isn't going either...because, again, the trick or treating SUCKS.

If you are dead set against him going trick or treating, then I would find another, better way for him to celebrate. When our olders stopped trick or treating they became responsible for the house set up and giving away the candy. Our house and yard always looked amazing! They had more fun that way. If you live somewhere you don't get a lot of trick or treaters then I would let them have a Halloween party for their freinds. But I don't think 11 is to old.

Now this, I like. I think, this year, we are going to do a treasure hunt at home (kids do not come to the doors to trick-or-treat here...we are in the middle of nowhere). The kids can dress up (maybe as Pirates) and find clues to their candy buckets that we make for them. Then we will spend the evening watching "scary" cartoons and eating popcorm (and candy). Thanks for the idea!

Except for the years my older ds spent trick-or-treating that my younger son spent not alive yet. :confused: I definitely don't think I am being unfair. As a matter of fact, we have decided (dh and I) that the younger isn't going either...because, again, the trick or treating SUCKS.

My response was based on what you said you were doing, not on what you've changed it too. You said the 7 year old would bet getting candy on Halloween, but the 11 year old would not. You also asked if that was fair . I think it's not.You did ASK if it was fair and I still think it would not have been. However, I see you are actually not letting one have candy, and the other not, as you originally stated. I don't see why you brought this up "Except for the years my older ds spent trick-or-treating that my younger son spent not alive yet." You don't really think they are keeping score of who got what in their entire lives ? I thought the issue was dealing with the present, this Halloween ,and you were letting one get candy on Halloween and one not - ages 7 and 11. Now it's morphed into something quite different.

I guess I've lost track of what you are actually planning on doing since you first posted compared to what you originally said in your first post. Based on just your first post, which I responded to, your response to me now is not making much sense to me.

Oh, well, I'm moving onto something else now.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Around here, everyone is wandering the neighborhoods at Halloween: kids, teens, and adults. I guess about half of the teens t-or-t, while the other half just walk around visiting and such.

I have no problem with teens, and it would never cross my mind that 11 was too old. It surprised me a bit when I first saw it as an adult, but I quickly decided that it was a vast improvement over how it was when I grew up, which was quitting the 'kid' parts at 12 or so, and moving on to much less appropriate activities.

I will admit that I was glad when my kids, then 9 and 11, agreed that it would be more fun to go to our camp for Halloween with some family and friends. They still dress up and trick or treat (in the woods, fun!), and I did let them decide. I would never have told them they were too old to go; I'm definitely in the camp of 'fun and harmless' when it comes to this, Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc!!

My response was based on what you said you were doing, not on what you've changed it too. You said the 7 year old would bet getting candy on Halloween, but the 11 year old would not. You also asked if that was fair . I think it's not.You did ASK if it was fair and I still think it would not have been. However, I see you are actually not letting one have candy, and the other not, as you originally stated. I don't see why you brought this up "Except for the years my older ds spent trick-or-treating that my younger son spent not alive yet." You don't really think they are keeping score of who got what in their entire lives ? I thought the issue was dealing with the present, this Halloween ,and you were letting one get candy on Halloween and one not - ages 7 and 11. Now it's morphed into something quite different.

I guess I've lost track of what you are actually planning on doing since you first posted compared to what you originally said in your first post. Based on just your first post, which I responded to, your response to me now is not making much sense to me.

Oh, well, I'm moving onto something else now.

Um, no. I asked "At what age do you stop "doing" Halloween at your house." and my OP was this:

My oldest son is 11 and I have told him that he is too old to dress up and go trick-or-treating. He thinks I am unfair because his little brother will get candy and he won't (whoopee...LOL). I just think there comes a time when dressing up for trick-or-treating is too childish. My son thinks I am crazy. So...what says the hive? How do you deal with this in your home (obviously, if you celebrate Halloween, that is)?

My actual question was "So, what says the hive? How do you DEAL WITH THIS in your home?" I did not ask if anyone thought it was "fair."

You suggested that my older son would be mad that my younger son would trick or treat when my older couldn't and that would cause sibling rivalry. If that were the case, I would explain to my 11 year old that he is 11 and he has trick-or-treated for the last 11 years whereas ds7 has trick-or-treated for 7 years. When he is 11, he will "officially" stop too.

Yes, since my OP, I made a decision to have a halloween treasure hunt for BOTH kids instead based on another poster's suggestion. I am sorry you are so "confused." Perhaps reading all of the threads in the post would help. Moving on is probably best.

HOWEVER, if teens show up at my door without a costume? I give them a set of vampire teeth (I give away probably 20-30 each year) and make them put them in before giving them candy. No costume, no candy. I've only had one teen ever refuse.

I love it. That's awesome! hehe

We have specific laws that dictate TOT is to be done between 6 and 8. No one over 7th grade or 12 yo can TOT. This is a direct cut and paste:

The (my city) Police Department is advising students of the penalties they may face should they break city laws on Halloween night. Any youngster beyond the seventh grade of school or over 12 years of age is prohibited from participating in "trick-or-treat" and all who do are required to be home by 8 p.m. Oct. 31. It is against the law for anyone over age 16 to wear masks, hoods or other device to hide the face in a public place in the city of (my city). Violations can carry criminal charges.

Could you imagine being arrested on halloween for wearing a mask? Interesting, huh?

We do a fall festival at our church with a trunk or treat.

Edited by jewellsmommy

That is a wicked bummer. :(

I know. :( I grew up in a neighborhood and TorT was so much fun. We still didn't do it after age 11-12 or so, but it was fun going house to house all over the neighborhood. Going to someone's car trunk in a parking lot with the rest of the county just isn't the same, no matter how you look at it. :(

Wow, I had never heard of an age limit. In my area, everyone goes out trick or treating. Trunk or treat? C'mon, that cannot be as fun.

My age limit? Never! We all dress up, we even dress up the dog! We are a Halloween family. As the kids will get older, the costumes and the props can get scarier and more macabre, to dh's delight I'm sure! Dh dressed up all his life for Halloween. He still does. This year, at 32, he's Blackbeard, wearing a $130 costume with platform shoes and all (Blackbeard was very tall - dh is only 6' 1 1/2").

When dh was a teen, he started a successful haunted house in the community that landed him on the local radio station. Apparently it was scary and very fun. He's waiting for the kids to grow up so he can start another scary haunted house. The props are still sitting in his parents' house. They are really authentic looking, really high quality. Yes, my dh is hardcore and can you tell I'm proud of him? :)

Edited by sagira

Never! We all dress up, we even dress up the dog! We are a Halloween family. As the kids will get older, the costumes and the props can get scarier and more macabre, to dh's delight I'm sure! Dh dressed up all his life for Halloween. He still does. When he was a teen, he started a successful haunted house in the community that landed him on the local radio station. Apparently it was scary and very fun. He's waiting for the kids to grow up so he can start another scary haunted house. The props are still sitting in his parents' house. They are really authentic looking, really high quality. Yes, dh is hardcore :)

Dress up the dog? Oh my...I bet that is a hoot! You should post some pics...what is she/he dressing up as this year? Why kind of dog? I have a cocker spaniel and I dress him in sweatshirts in the winter...but that is about it. I'd love to see the doggie costumes!

I agree with many others...let them go as long as they still want to go. Oh yeah...and as long as it's legal. I don't mind passing out candy to anyone who has on a costume. And at our house, you get a lot more candy if you come by during the second hour. I start getting panicky that I'm gonna get stuck with all that candy. :tongue_smilie: