Menu

Farmer's Market Question

What do you buy the Farmer's Market? (see post for further info)  

1. 1. What do you buy the Farmer's Market? (see post for further info)

• Vegetables
    • Fruit
    • Cut Flowers
    • Plants
    • Baked Goods
    • Don't go to the farmer's market/There are none in our area
    • I'm get vegetables/fruits/misc from CSA

Poll regarding Farmer's Markets. Please check all that apply. Also if you want to elaborate on what you buy in a post that would be helpful. My DH has an idea of selling at Farmer's Markets. I'm just curious what people buy there. (I know what I buy).

Thank!

Edited by OrganicAnn

I went with fruit, but that is not exactly true. I mainly end up buying jams and jellies. Our farmer's market is not grand. Very little produce is sold there. I was disappointed last time I went.

I'm going to try to go one more time before it ends at the end of September. Hopefully there will be produce there since our harvesting is happening fairly soon.

I buy some plants in the spring; I buy things like tomatoes, peppers, onions, apples, jams, potatoes, herbs, winter squashes; there is a stall which sells organic veggies/fruit and also does a thriving business in beautiful cut flowers.

ETA: I also buy all my chicken from there in the summer and freeze it through the winter. :)

I'll respond to my own poll. I usually buy vegetables. But my DH buys more fruit and baked goods. But it changes based on what's for sale.

I bought 11 pablano peppers yesterday and spend this weekend skinning, deseeding, mincing and freezing them. What a pain, but I'll be eating well for a long time.

I get fruits and vegetables while I am there, but that's not why I go. I get our maple syrup and honey from there. Right about now I finish stocking for winter and spring so I will have enough of these two things to get me through to next year's farmer's mkt. I also get organic eggs and meats (when the family requests it). This year I ordered the Thanksgiving turkey from one of the organic vendors - they are much closer than where I had been getting it these past several years.

I probably would buy flowers if I didn't have them myself to cut from the back yard; their arrangements are so lovely!

We buy all of the above at our farmers' market plus milk, eggs, butter, cheese, honey, meat, soap, and art. We also sit and listen to music. We just received our email from a local farmer reminding us to sign up for our Thanksgiving turkey on our next visit to the market.

Next season, I plan on selling vanilla extract, surplus produce, fabric shopping bags, and photography, and my dd13 (who will be 14 then) is planning on selling baked goods.

Edited by Tutor

I checked all but "Don't go" because I purchase all of those items and belong to a CSA.

We mostly buy veggies in the spring before our CSA starts, usually things we didn't plant in our garden, and plants, vegetable starts for the garden.

We buy fresh fruit for a snack while we're at the market or if we want berries for breakfast; if we want more than a small snack, we drive to the berry field or orchard and pick them ourselves.

If I happen to be at the Farmer's Market, I will walk clear to the end to buy a loaf of bread from the local baker because it is so good, but I don't go to the market for that purpose.

Cut flowers are a once a season luxury, but there's usually one day when they are so lovely it's worth the splurge.

I also buy honey at the Farmer's Market if my friend doesn't have any to sell.

Cat

I buy it all. At ours there are

fruit/melons

veggies

plants

cut flowers

honey- honey sweetened items

meats-organic beef/chx, buffalo, speciality smoked

seafood-fresh and cured

Cheeses-many varieties esp goat

baked goods-dessert and/or breads

jams/jellies/compotes/preserves/savory bread toppings

chocolatiers

woven items with homespun yarns

home bottled sodas

there are also 10 or so prepared food booths

We buy all of our produce at the local Farmer's Market. They have the best tasting, freshest produce in town. It's also, amazingly, the cheapest produce in town.

Used to buy bakery items there too, but went anti-soy, so most of the stuff there we can't eat.

They also have the best sushi in town. And the freshest meat.

I voted that we don't go to one as we rarely go. Prices are much higher there than I can get elsewhere and I once worked as a cashier in our local grocery. Some vendors at the Farmer's Market would buy some produce from us if they thought they were understocked. Pies too. That did it for me.

Plus, we grow a lot of our own veggies.

Growing up we sold things at Farmer's Markets, but back then it was our goal to be less expensive than the local grocery. Times have changed I suppose.

We just moved, and our farmer's market here stinks. It's so expensive and so much smaller than I'm used to. I did find a local farm store that I like better, so I think we'll start going there on a regular basis.

That said, we went to Boston this weekend and OH MY. That's the biggest farmer's market I have ever seen. Blocks and blocks of fruits and veggies... I got quarts of strawberries for $1, pints of raspberries and blueberries for $1... I bought all we could carry. If I hadn't just bought a half peck of apples I would have loaded up on that, too. No animal products that I saw, but fruits and veggies galore.

I answered the poll, but to be honest I don't get a lot at the farmer's market because I find them to be too expensive in general. I frequent our many family produce stands that sell all the vegetables, fruits, plants, preserves and honey I need. It's usually fresher too because they sell what they harvested that day, while the farmer's markets are mostly only open a few days at the end of the week and some of the produce has been sitting for a while before it goes to market. It's also fun being right there at the farm.

I generally pay $1 for a huge head of lettuce, or a head of broccoli or cauliflower, $2.50 for a basket of 5 or 6 tomatoes (depending on size), $3.50 for a dozen ears of corn, green peppers are .50 apiece. This past weekend I bought a huge butternut squash (about 8lbs) for $3.75.

This time of year there is an abundance of pumpkins, ornamental squash, and mums as well as many different kinds of edible squash I can't get in the grocery store.

I love this time of year!

Our farmers markets are not regular enough to be our main source of food. But when they are on I buy baked goods, meat, fish, veg and seasonal fruit. I tend to make more effort to buy from there around christmas and important family meals.

We also buy a lot of plants and herbs from there through out the year.

I don't tend to buy jam as we don't eat much of it though I have plans to start making it again as I have found a great low sugar jam cook book. I really should buy local honey as the kids eat a lot of it (I hate it).

We are lucky to live in a town with a local craft & food ethic so a lot of our local shops used to be small market stalls that have grown enough to be shops. They can be expensive though. There are soapmakers and delis and cheese mongers etc...

Blocks and blocks of fruits and veggies... I got quarts of strawberries for $1, pints of raspberries and blueberries for $1... I bought all we could carry.

:eek: Jealous! Blueberries here were $4/qt and not even local! It was cheaper to buy organic ones at the grocery store around the same time!

I'm so fortunate that I live close enough to shop at the Dane County Farmer's Market in Madison, Wisconsin. It's the largest producer-only farmer's market in the entire country. The prices are excellent, the selection is fabulous, and it's so nice to buy from the people who grow and produce the products.

http://www.dcfm.org -The website is a good place to go and see what products are sold and see how uber organized this market is.

We regularly buy fruits, veggies, honey, maple syrup, herbs, cheese, and baked goods. We occasionally buy meats, flowers, and prepared products like salsas and jellies/jams. I have friends who raise chickens so eggs are readily available w/o buying from the market.

Across the square, outside the 'official' market, there are food vendors, artists selling their wares, and tons of street performers.

Hope your product sells well for you- will you reveal what you're considering?

I get mostly vegetables, with a few fruits when they're not expensive.

Eggs, meat, butter etc I get from the co-op because the price at the farmer's market (from the same farm) is more expensive than the co-op. I don't generally buy baked goods because we tend to like the ones we make ourselves a lot better.

I'm picky about who I buy from because some of the vendors seem to be buying stuff from the local grocery store, marking it up, and selling it at the farmer's market. So I generally just buy from folks I've dealt with before as I've already gone to the trouble of figuring out if they're being underhanded. I try to get chemical free produce (no one there has an organic label, it's too expensive to get). I'd never buy crafts. We've got way too many crafters at home here.

I'm so fortunate that I live close enough to shop at the Dane County Farmer's Market in Madison, Wisconsin. It's the largest producer-only farmer's market in the entire country. The prices are excellent, the selection is fabulous, and it's so nice to buy from the people who grow and produce the products.

www.dcfm.org -The website is a good place to go and see what products are sold and see how uber organized this market is.

We regularly buy fruits, veggies, honey, maple syrup, herbs, cheese, and baked goods. We occasionally buy meats, flowers, and prepared products like salsas and jellies/jams. I have friends who raise chickens so eggs are readily available w/o buying from the market.

Across the square, outside the 'official' market, there are food vendors, artists selling their wares, and tons of street performers.

Hope your product sells well for you- will you reveal what you're considering?

Well I guess I should hi because I think you are my closest neighbor (I live in Madison).

You are right about the organization. My parents sell bedding plants in the spring and the rule book is 40-50 pages long. The wait list for a permanent spot (as opposed to daily) is between 15-20 YEARS. And even for daily vendors if there seniority number isn't low enough they aren't even allowed to come and try to set up in certain months.

It's a great market but if I'm not there helping sell, I seldom go shopping. I grow most of my own veggies and get my fruit in bulk from the Amish. I have a hard time shopping because there are so many people there just to wander around and when I go, I'm there for a purpose and want to get in and out. I usually have my husband drive me around the square and I hop out at the vendor I want and then he drives me to the next stand. I usually only shop from 3-4 places so this is much faster for me.

So for things I buy: a few veggies I don't grow myself or don't want a lot of. Fresh apple juice in the fall, fresh squeeky cheese curds, sausage sticks for snacking, and some different kinds of apples for fresh eating.

Hi Stephanie! I might actually not be your closest WTM neighbor, though. We drive an hour to shop the market. It's worth it for us because we can also shop Penzey's, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's while we're in Madison. And I can't grow a thing. I bake, quilt, etc., but growing anything is just something I can't seem to do.

Hi Stephanie! I might actually not be your closest WTM neighbor, though. We drive an hour to shop the market. It's worth it for us because we can also shop Penzey's, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's while we're in Madison. And I can't grow a thing. I bake, quilt, etc., but growing anything is just something I can't seem to do.

Well you are the closet one that I know about. There are lots of people here that I have no idea where they are from.

I take it for granted that I can go to all those places on a regular basis. I've forgotten what it like to live in smaller towns. I can see where it's would be quite fun to make of day of it with the market and all those stores.

One item I don't see listed here among the replies is my favorite purchase from our local market: rain barrels. There's a local fella (I call him Shy Dan) who collects plastic barrels from, I think, the pickling plant nearby, and converts them to awesome rain barrels, with a special overflow gadget thingy. I have two and plan to buy more for the other corners of the house.

I usually buy vegetables and fruit (apples in season, mostly). When I lived in a different area, I used to buy all my honey from one of the farmer's market vendors.

I only buy the things I cannot grow, i.e. some fruits & veggies. I bake a lot so I don't need to buy that and I don't spend any money on flowers. While my chickens were chicks I also bought eggs.