Menu

Do any of you still read to your older child?

My only good memories of my mom are her reading to me and my brothers up until I was about the age of my dh (11). It's not something Matt has particularly wanted since he started reading novels independently, but he recently watched something scary on TV and I volunteered to read to him at bedtime to give him something else to think about rather than dwelling on the disturbing images he's seen. So I've been reading to him in bed every night for the last week or so, and now I'm doing it a little in the morning as he wakes up. I'm having such a nice time doing it that I hope it continues for a good long time!

My only good memories of my mom are her reading to me and my brothers up until I was about the age of my dh (11). It's not something Matt has particularly wanted since he started reading novels independently, but he recently watched something scary on TV and I volunteered to read to him at bedtime to give him something else to think about rather than dwelling on the disturbing images he's seen. So I've been reading to him in bed every night for the last week or so, and now I'm doing it a little in the morning as he wakes up. I'm having such a nice time doing it that I hope it continues for a good long time!

Boy, your dh is young! :D

I still read aloud to ds13 and to dd8.

Sadly, this is the first year that I do not read aloud to my older children. After our move, the older two high schoolers decided to go to public school this past school year. HOWEVER, up until last year, we all would read together over lunch - kids were sophomore, 8th grade, and 3rd grade. We would read great books like Great Expectations, The Christmas Carol, Kidnapped, etc. My kids all loved it, and I do miss it.

I still read to my youngest who is still at home, and I intend to read to her until she goes to high school. We call it our coffee time, and it is the first thing that we do in the morning in our library/study.

I used to read to everyone when we would travel by car on long trips - Narnia, Cleary books, Dr. Doolittle, Mary Poppins, etc. We all loved those times, and heavens knows, it gave me something to do while my dh was driving!

Read to them as long as they are home!!!!

DD (15) and I switched from English to French books when she was @11 so that we could continue reading kid's books. This was mostly due to the fact that I don't stay awake very long when I read out loud, and even less log when she reads out loud, so long chapters were out! We added in Chinese stories last year, but I fall asleep so much faster when she is reading a language I barely comprehend...

I blame my parents who read me to sleep until I was 10 or so:lol:

Sure I do. When I read out loud, everyone is included. I even read to my dh.

Same here! And when DH reads in the evenings, we all listen in also. And DH and I will even read to each other after the kids are in bed. Reading aloud never stops around here. I guess it is a form of family entertainment.

I still read to my kids for about an hour a day (we use SL) and my son will be 11 next month. My daughter will be 9 in a couple of months. I plan to continue reading out loud to them for at least the next 4 years, if not longer. They really enjoy it and so do I.

Lisa

And DH and I will even read to each other after the kids are in bed.

:001_wub:This is romantic.

DH, DD19 and DD9 all read aloud together, taking turns. They just finished the entire Harry Potter series in May. Not sure what they will start this fall. They all pile on the bed together.

We've been reading HP aloud as a family, too! We're on Order of the Phoenix and are already sad that we're more than half way through the series :(.

We use Sonlight, so I guess it goes without saying that we also read aloud for school every day. I love it, and yes, it IS a lifestyle!

Yes. We usually have a "family read" going. We pass the book around sometimes, depending on who feels like reading more.

Ds and I also just read through the "wimpy kid diary" books together. Those are funny!

Yes here too. Ds is also 11 and loves read aloud time. I think it has been reat for all my children. They love books, library day, and tend to reemember the things that we have read in the past. They still beg for more chapters when we read aloud.:)

Danielle

I stopped when my youngest was 15, only because he is the last left at home and was very busy.

I read them up and down, AM and PM, from infancy. My mom was severely handicapped and the one thing she could do for us was read. We loved it.

I know families that read together through high school for the youngest. It is lovely.

I really, really don't like to read out loud. About once a year or so, I will read one book to my kids cover to cover, one chapter a night. I like the closeness, but hate the reading ( I yawn constantly when I read so it isn't pleasant, it actually hurts after a while). I try to get them to help out with the reading, but they don't want to, so I have to read it all.

No, and it's been a couple years that I haven't. However, on occasion when I'm reading to 5yo dd the boys will end up sitting in and listening. They don't necessarily "have to" hear the rest of the story, they just listen for a little bit. Although we don't read aloud we usually have an audio book in the car and ds2 listens to audiobooks a lot on his mp3 player.

Cinder

We still read aloud to dd9 when she lets us. She generally likes to sketch while she listens. I enjoy it when my husband reads aloud to me while I cross stitch. Sometimes I read to him while he drives on long trips. Reading aloud is a pleasurable activity throughout life.

Of course, this is not a substitute for a child doing independent reading and comprehension.

Michele