Menu

Spin-Off: What was your major in college?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BA in Psychology. I began (first 3 years) as a journalism major, and did some internship work in that area. But I really wanted to be a counselor and help other people. I was also extremely interested in psychology. I planned on getting a master's in couselling, but I had kids instead. :D

Kim

My BS is in Materials Science and Engineering. My MS is in ceramic engineering because Georgia Tech did not have an ABET accredited MS in Mat Sci until the next year. My PhD major was Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in EE. I am also certified to teach 6-12 math in Georgia through an alternative teacher prep program.

The Plan: Landscape Architecture

The Reality: BS Horticulture

BTW, dh has a BS in ChemE, and it's a brutal degree, at least at Purdue. I'm amazed 2 people so far have gotten it without specific plans to continue in that field somehow, since that would provide motivation to survive. My hat is off to you!

Mine was Chemical Engineer. If I had to decide today, it would have been nutrition or chemistry or writing or history or business--anything but engineering.

Another ChemE here. I really wish I'd gone to pharmacy school. I was so clueless/unfocused in college and really never thought out my future plans.

The Plan: Landscape Architecture

The Reality: BS Horticulture

BTW, dh has a BS in ChemE, and it's a brutal degree, at least at Purdue. I'm amazed 2 people so far have gotten it without specific plans to continue in that field somehow, since that would provide motivation to survive. My hat is off to you!

Wow, Purdue--home of the 'Honk if you passed P Chem' bumper sticker!

Actually, I did use my Chem E degree for quite a few years. And now I kick some serious homeschooling butt in teaching chemistry to DD, who is unimpressed but should not be.

When I was in school, Chem E was the most regimented major on campus. It has fewer optional classes or breadth requirements than any other major.

Chem E's all thought that Electrical Engineering/Computer Science was the toughest major on campus. EECS majors all thought that Chem E was the toughest major on campus. What I think now is that most people either think chemically or electrically, and so their opposite always seems harder. (I think the same thing about geometry vs. algebra.)

Personally, I always found it easier to understand why water would flow somewhere than electricity. When Chem E books put flow in terms of electrical circuit analogies, I always found it annoying. However, it occurs to me in retrospect that I should have applied my intuitive understanding of water flow to electricity. Then maybe I would have done better in Electronics. My point? Help your kids figure out analogies that enable them to picture what is going on in abstract scientific phenomena, and they will do better.

BA: math with concentrations in economics and computer science

MBA: contration in strategy and marketing

I used to have "real" jobs that required all of these skills. Today, I use the math to teach my student, economics to juggle the bills, computer science to surf the Internet, strategy to do all my planning, and marketing to convince my dd that she really does like school.

:)

Double Major, 3 years.

B.S. Communications

B.S. Political Science, Comparative Politics emphasis, with Con-Law secondary.

So, one could say I majored in B.S. :lol:

I've used my communications degree continuously since college, but happilly stopped using my Poli Sci degree in 2003.

I studied EE for 4 years (still had one more year to go since I had transferred colleges) when I decided that I really didn't like it. I switched to MIS (management information systems) and loved it. I'm so glad I changed and I find the things I learned after I changed my major are far more useful in my life now. But I'm glad that I have that strong math and science background too.