Menu

hypothetical wooden spoon question...

Read post 1st, What to do with icky/moldy wooden spoon  

1. 1. Read post 1st, What to do with icky/moldy wooden spoon

• Wash really well and use! Don't be a wasteful wimp!
    • Throw it away, it is just a spoon, don't be so cheap.
    • AH! Never use wooden spoons, they are dangerous
    • Other, though I can't imagine what remains

:tongue_smilie:Let's pretend....

Your 5 month old dishwasher quit working and the technicians are taking their sweet time fixing it...err! Anyway, you have been keeping up with washing the plates, bowls and glasses but leave the silverware in a pile in the bottom of the sink. Why? :001_huh: Because you hate washing silverware. So, after a week (or 2, something like that, who's counting, stupid dw technicians) when dd is trying to eat cereal with a fork, you decide to tackle some of the silverware. Toward the bottom you find a wooden spoon (or 2) that is completely covered in mold :scared: and what was once spaghetti sauce (the homemade kind of course)! Obviously, the prudent thing to do in a case like this is to post a poll, assuming I can figure out how.

So, seeing as how wooden spoons are somewhat porous, would it be safe to wash it really good and pretend that it never happened, ...which it didn't... because this is all hypothetical. I mean really, who would leave silverware in their sink for 2 weeks? Or, throw it away and buy new ones.

So, please answer the poll, and maybe even post embarrassing dish stories about yourself to make the hypothetical woman in the story feel better, assuming she has feelings, being hypothetical and all.

So, please answer the poll, and maybe even post embarrassing dish stories about yourself to make the hypothetical woman in the story feel better, assuming she has feelings, being hypothetical and all.

I have nice olive wood or bamboo spoons. I'd wash well, let dry out, and sniff. If okay, okay. My old cheapy is so pulpy I can't imagine the smell would be gone.

I've got to say I'd hypothetically throw it out. Just like I'd hypothetically throw away sippy cups that hid for a couple of weeks with milk left in them, until they were grosser than gross. Not that that ever happened to me. And especially not more than once.

And I'm cheap.

I think I'd probably replace it. Hypothetically. If, hypothetically I was feeling particularly cheap (that sometims happens around here for reals) or it had sentimental value or something and I felt really attached to the spoon, I might, hypothetically, if the mold were not too bad, scrub it really good and soak it for a long, long time in vinegar and then keep using it. But I would probably not confess to ever having done anything like that. Hypothetically. ;)

I would wash them and then soak in strong H2O2. You can get food grade 35% at most healthfood stores. I would mix it about 1/2 cup in qt of water.

Hypothetically that is what I would do.

I don't have any hypothetical food stories, mine are all real.:tongue_smilie:

I've got to say I'd hypothetically throw it out. Just like I'd hypothetically throw away sippy cups that hid for a couple of weeks with milk left in them, until they were grosser than gross. Not that that ever happened to me. And especially not more than once.

And I'm cheap.

Oh, I definitely agree about sippy lids and those kinky straws that come with cups, I always throw away when I never let them sit too long. That didn't happen to me either.:D

I would throw it out, just like I threw out the bag of Easter candy that contained a hard boiled Easter egg just yesterday. For a long time I have been wondering what that rotten smell in my house has been. I guess when we came back from the Easter egg hunt and I told Francie to throw out that egg, I should have followed up. :glare:

Hypothetically speaking, I threw my wooden spoon and small, plastic cutting board away.

Hypothetically speaking, I would recently throw away a mattress if my hypothetical child hid two hypothetical 4-packs of opened yogurt under it, too.

And if I were to, hypothetically, forget about a certain load of laundry, I would re-wash it with a vinegar rinse every day for 3 days until I finally remembered to dry it.

And if I were to, hypothetically, forget about a certain load of laundry, I would re-wash it with a vinegar rinse every day for 3 days until I finally remembered to dry it.

Hypothetically, my children might think that all clothes sometimes require a multi-day stay in the washer with vinegar rinses. :D

And I'm cheap.

:iagree: Wow. This exactly. Sippy cup and cheap and all. :D

Depending on my mood, I would do one of two things:

1) Scrub well, soak in some hot lightly-bleached water, then run through the dishwasher when it was ready. If there was no trace of grossness left, I would continue using it.

2) Or if it grossed me out and I was in no mood to deal with it, I'd just toss it from the start because they are not expensive to buy new.

Signed, someone who may or may not have done the same thing with numerous kitchen items....

Just like I'd hypothetically throw away sippy cups that hid for a couple of weeks with milk left in them, until they were grosser than gross. Not that that ever happened to me. And especially not more than once.

This hasn't happened to me either, and would never happen more than once if it were to.

Edited by Jinnah

I think you should be able to wash it really well, and then even let it soak in a bowl of vinegar/water or bleach/water (I avoid using bleach though) for a few hours then wash it again, let it air dry and take a sniff. THEN decide if it needs to be replaced or not.

Hypothetically speaking, I've heard that one can let their silverware soak in a sink/dish tub of water until one is ready to wash it, that way most of the gunk will just rinse away and you won't have dried on/stuck on food. ;)

Now, do the two plastic pitchers with tea in the bottom that has now grown mold on top (the tea, that is) need to be tossed? They have those spouts at the bottom, and we used them for a gathering a few weeks ago, but they've just become part of the scenery because they're so big I haven't had space to run them through the dishwasher and I haven't done any hand washing. :o

I voted throw it away, but I don't think you're cheap. It's just safer.

:iagree:

Signed, the penny pincher who does NOT get grossed out easily!

And, since I'm laughing at all these hypothetical stories, I'll share one of my own. I may or may not know someone who hypothetically lost track of the date she cut up some fresh watermelon and packed the leftovers in the fridge. Then, she hypothetically let her daughter eat a nice big bowlful, which hypothetically caused her to vomit and become hysterical on the night of her preschool graduation. Said hypothetical mother has since become a bit obsessive with her hypothetical Sharpie :001_huh:

Edited by melissel

I'd toss it. Not because I'm cheap, and not because I'm afraid of germs, but because I am most certainly too lazy for the scrubbing and disinfecting action required to bring it back to where it needs to be for future use.

After tossing it, I would likely feel really guilty for a time over the environmental impact. Then I would take my children out on an extra trash pick-up mission to make up for the added environmental strain caused by my lazyness. :p

I love my wooden spoons, but in this particular case, while it would pain me to do so, I think I'd hypothetically replace it. I just wouldn't be able to get over my grossed-outness. ;)

I would do the same. I don't think I could ever look at that particular spoon in the same way again. ever.

Bamboo spoons are very nice. :)

Thank you everybody. This has been very amusing. I am wondering about the 5 that have voted wooden spoons are dangerous. I included it more jokingly than anything. Would someone be willing to share about their fear of wooden spoons? Or are people just messing with me? :D

I think you should be able to wash it really well, and then even let it soak in a bowl of vinegar/water or bleach/water (I avoid using bleach though) for a few hours then wash it again, let it air dry and take a sniff. THEN decide if it needs to be replaced or not.

Hypothetically speaking, I've heard that one can let their silverware soak in a sink/dish tub of water until one is ready to wash it, that way most of the gunk will just rinse away and you won't have dried on/stuck on food. ;)

Now, do the two plastic pitchers with tea in the bottom that has now grown mold on top (the tea, that is) need to be tossed? They have those spouts at the bottom, and we used them for a gathering a few weeks ago, but they've just become part of the scenery because they're so big I haven't had space to run them through the dishwasher and I haven't done any hand washing. :o

Yeah, you would think that would work, huh? Apparently my sink stopper has a strict limit. It refuses to hold water for any longer than 1 week :glare:. Hypothetically, a dish tub is the way to go!

Tea pitchers, ...mmm. Perhaps another poll is in order? :D

Yeah, you would think that would work, huh? Apparently my sink stopper has a strict limit. It refuses to hold water for any longer than 1 week.
Oh wow! This thread is both making me :lol: and making me feel so much better about myself. Because, of course, I have never done any of these things.:tongue_smilie:

Thank you everybody. This has been very amusing. I am wondering about the 5 that have voted wooden spoons are dangerous. I included it more jokingly than anything. Would someone be willing to share about their fear of wooden spoons? Or are people just messing with me? :D

Well, I didn't want to have to be the one to tell you, but I know for a FACT that wooden spoons:

*Have been implicated as carriers of both Lyme Disease and ticks as well as cooties.

*Are responsible for the oil spill. (BP is kindly taking the rap, but it was really THE SPOONS!!)

*Have been known to commit murder and mayhem if left unattended in gunky water for too long. (You may have saved your family untold harm and/or terror by removing it from the water when you did!)

*Have bad attitudes that can be picked up by children if they are both left unattended for long periods.

You dodged a bullet here, dear. Throw the evil thing AWAY!

(No, don't ask me to cite references. It is all Top Secret information and I can't reveal my sources.)

In the trash it would go, but I have a severe mold allergy, so we're really picky about anything that has even the tiniest bit of mold on it.

I've also been known to toss sippy cups or cups with the kinky straws that may have been left too long with a dairy based product in them.

And I'm cheap.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I did this several times, too!

Well, I didn't want to have to be the one to tell you, but I know for a FACT that wooden spoons:

*Have been implicated as carriers of both Lyme Disease and ticks as well as cooties.

*Are responsible for the oil spill. (BP is kindly taking the rap, but it was really THE SPOONS!!)

*Have been known to commit murder and mayhem if left unattended in gunky water for too long. (You may have saved your family untold harm and/or terror by removing it from the water when you did!)

*Have bad attitudes that can be picked up by children if they are both left unattended for long periods.

You dodged a bullet here, dear. Throw the evil thing AWAY!

(No, don't ask me to cite references. It is all Top Secret information and I can't reveal my sources.)

:blink: :w00t: :eek: :willy_nilly:

I had no idea of the terror that I have unleashed upon my household! I shall remove them all at once!

Hypothetically, I have had to do the same thing myself. Which reminds me, there's a hypothetical load out there now. Ugh.

And assuming the hypothetical spoon was a basic wooden spoon, I'd throw it away. If it was my good hardwood "fruitcake" spoon (the only one sturdy enough to stir fruitcake batter), I'd bleach, wash, and pray. And then throw it away because I was too grossed out and try to find a new one. I pray that never has to hypothetically happen!

It's not her -- it's a hypothetical woman!:D And since the whole thing is hypothetical I would take some hypothetical money and go here and buy these really cool spoons.

wood-spoon151.jpg

Oh you are SO bad!!! Now I'm shopping for wood goblets :lol: and those cherry spoons are gorgeous. I do have my Paula Dean wooden spoons though, I am hoping that her name wears off the handles :) they are large and rustic looking.

I have hypothetically (of course!) washed a certain sippy cup (with the flower like valve that you need to twist to get off...I got it hand me down from my sister's friend) in the dishwasher for probably months before I realized that the valve actually came out. :w00t: Naturally, I was hypothetically using this for whole milk for my oldest daughter (now 6.5 yrs). I still have that cup come to think of it. The valve is long gone; it probably got tossed after all the hypothetical cottage cheese substance swished out when the valve eventually came loose. My take home message from that? I never use something unless I know how to really clean it.

Let's say hypothetically that you cleaned out the back of your fridge and tossed your tupperware because there is no way that you would open that thing, hypothetically. That spoon would so be a goner around here!

Oh, yes, I've heard of this happening to 'other people'. We don't buy the 'real' stuff, just Rubbermaid and those disposable Ziploc and Glad containers (and even generic ones)... just in case that were the happen to us. :)

I know a hypothetical person who has done all of the above, including believing a conspiracy theory involving moldy leftovers, day-old laundry, and BP.

Go buy yourself a nice set of heat resistant silicone spoons. I love those things. (Unless they are known to cause cancer or something, in which case, this is all hypothetical too.)

It's not her -- it's a hypothetical woman!:D And since the whole thing is hypothetical I would take some hypothetical money and go here and buy these really cool spoons.

wood-spoon151.jpg

I was reading about the zebrawood spoon to dh and slowly advancing down the page. "Look honey, somebody posted this link for some really nice wood spoons. Wow, its made from...:eek: holy cow that's a $45 spoon!..." end of conversation. Then there was the under the breath comment about rather fancy woods are anymore mold resistant than their counterparts :glare:.

BTW: Dishwasher...still not fixed! How many wooden spoons must suffer tragically until this unjust persecution ends!

Let's say hypothetically that you cleaned out the back of your fridge and tossed your tupperware because there is no way that you would open that thing, hypothetically. That spoon would so be a goner around here!

This is exactly why dh is not allowed to use any plastic containers to take leftovers to work in. He returns them weeks later. If he can't eat it out of a baggie or a plastic cup then he can just eat it at home. :D

Guest mrsjamiesouth

And I'm cheap.

I only throw these out if Mold has started to grow. Sometimes the milk has just turned solid.;)

I would throw out the wooden spoon just because the wood is porous.

I bet you have never been told not to put wooden spoons in the dishwasher!:eek:

:lol: I am guilty of being a control freak about who washes my wooden spoons- I insist on them being handwashed only. My MIL recently visited and SHE put my BIG, BEAUTIFUL wood soup spoon in the dishwasher!!!!!!!!!

She's not allowed to 'help' me with the dishes any more- ever.