Menu

Dh just took d.s. to the ER - prayers please!!

Dh just called. They've checked him out and said that his throat looked swollen and his eyes were swollen and lips were swollen. They didn't give him anything!!! We'd already given Benadryl. I'm really worried that when the Benadryl wears off, he's going to have another reaction. I can't believe they seemed to blow him off like that. I wish they'd have kept him a while to keep an eye on him.

Dh just called. They've checked him out and said that his throat looked swollen and his eyes were swollen and lips were swollen. They didn't give him anything!!! We'd already given Benadryl. I'm really worried that when the Benadryl wears off, he's going to have another reaction. I can't believe they seemed to blow him off like that. I wish they'd have kept him a while to keep an eye on him.

Oh no... I don't know much about allergies, but that seems odd... I hope he improves quickly. Keep us posted if anything changes... :grouphug:

Jennifer: I'm glad they are on their way home. How about calling your peds office and asking them if you should continue to treat him symptomatically with the Benadryl until the symptoms are gone?

Let us know how he is doing. Oh, and yes, definitely praying for him here.:grouphug:

Do you have an Epi-pen? If not call your regular doc and ask for a script to be called to the pharmacy ASAP. Go get it so you have it on hand.

You also may try calling the ER and ask them to call one in for him. Some will, some won't but it is worth a try.

If it makes you feel any better, this is exactly the reaction that my dh has to tree nuts and Benadryl always works for him, in usually one dose, but it probably wouldn't hurt to keep him on it until tomorrow and call you ped.

I'm alergic to stinging insects. When I was bit on the lip by a hornet, I was rushed to the hospital where they gave me an IV and 4 different drugs. One was benadryl. One was Zantac. I can't remember the other two. It was a cocktail that worked like a charm and stopped my alergic reaction cold in it's tracks. This was a localized reaction of severe swelling. No anaphylaxis involved, and they still took it seriously enough to treat me.

BTW: The Dr. said to keep Zantac on hand at home and as soon as I am stung, take a benadryl AND Zantac

Sorry you little boy is huring. Prayers for his safety and quick recovery.

He needs an Epi-pen immediately, IMO. I am in complete shock that they didn't give him one! It *could* clear up with the Benadryl, but it also *could not*... it's not worth the risk. A secondary reaction can happen hours later. We've always been told to Epi and call 911 (not drive yourself) as well. Giving the Epi-pen when it was not totally neccessary won't do any harm (for most people). If the Epi-pen does cause side effects, they are usually mild (rapid heart rate, etc.). Not giving it when it was needed is a serious mistake. I will keep your little boy in my prayers.

Edited by Jinnah

I know what you are going through. I've been down this road several times, unfortunately! You are wise to watch out for a secondary reaction. My son has these when he ingests a food he reacts to. They can be just as bad, or worse. I sleep next to my son when he has had a food reaction and that saved his life the last time. We use an epi-pen immediately, when the swelling/itching/wheezing begins. (My son is now 17... he knows what not to eat... he was raised knowing and reads all labels... it just takes having a snack get traded with someone else (he learned that lesson!!) or grabbing a granola bar (we no longer have them AT ALL)... but, things happen and it is can be very scary) Our Dr. has always said, use the epi-pen and call 911. It's much better to be safe. Our secondary reactions usually happen 6-8 hours after ingestion. Prayers going your way!

Okay. So, I'm not insane in thinking that my son was blown off.

To answer some questions:

Yes. He carries an epipen at all times. We didn't give it to him because it didn't seem to be affecting his breathing until they were halfway to the ER anyway. It was faster to just get him there and let them do it there.

A few times ago when this happened, his secondary reaction was MUCH worse than the first one. So, I'm particularly scared today. I really wish they would've kept him until the Benadryl wore off. I thought for sure they'd give him a steroid at the very least.

I KNOW I wasn't overreacting to his allergy because my dh was here and HE was the one who said, "It's time to go!" Dh is usually VERY laid back and underreacts to things like this.

The worst part of it is that I'm worried that my d.s. isn't going to take his allergies as seriously now. He's getting to the age where he thinks he's invincible. I almost wish he'd had a worse reaction so that he would be reminded how bad it really is.

I'm so sorry to hear that others have the same issues. Food allergies just SUCK. (And I hate that word!!)

Do you have an allergist? Do you have an "allergy action plan?"

Dd15 has multiple food allergies. Her allergy action plan lists the steps to take after accidental ingestion of an allergen, based on symptoms. Breathing or throat issues OR multiple symptoms (like hives + tummy) ALWAYS result in immediate epi and a call to 911. If she were to just get hives, we are to give benadryl for 24 hours.

Hugs to you! Food allergies and the associated worrying are absolutely horrible.

Okay. So, I'm not insane in thinking that my son was blown off.

To answer some questions:

Yes. He carries an epipen at all times. We didn't give it to him because it didn't seem to be affecting his breathing until they were halfway to the ER anyway. It was faster to just get him there and let them do it there.

A few times ago when this happened, his secondary reaction was MUCH worse than the first one. So, I'm particularly scared today. I really wish they would've kept him until the Benadryl wore off. I thought for sure they'd give him a steroid at the very least.

I KNOW I wasn't overreacting to his allergy because my dh was here and HE was the one who said, "It's time to go!" Dh is usually VERY laid back and underreacts to things like this.

The worst part of it is that I'm worried that my d.s. isn't going to take his allergies as seriously now. He's getting to the age where he thinks he's invincible. I almost wish he'd had a worse reaction so that he would be reminded how bad it really is.

I'm so sorry to hear that others have the same issues. Food allergies just SUCK. (And I hate that word!!)

Food allergies are hard. My son has them and I am very surprised that they didn't do more. My personal rule of thumb is that if he has more than 2 symptoms of anaphylaxis, then I am giving the epi-pen. I used to do the give benedryl, wait, pray...call dr.'s office and let them know of the reaction even with 2 or more symptoms. Now after having given him the epi-pen and seeing how fast his reaction went away and how much less suffering that he went through...I am using the 2 symptoms rule.

I would personally give benadryl for 24 hours. Have him sleep in the room with me. Call his pediatrician and take him in or at least call and talk to the nurse for their advise.

Edited by OpenMinded

Dh is allergic to bee stings and one thing we have found is that not all ER doctors are "equal" in terms of their knowledge and hence actions towards allergic responses.

If the ER doc is actually a G.P. doing an E.R. rotation (happens a lot in rural and county hospitals who can't pay the big bucks to get a board certified ER doc), they don't always take the most proactive approach. Plus, once at the ER, things like IV Zantac are actually safer than the Epi-pen. The epi-pen can be a real life-saver and especially in the field or far from the hospital, but even DD, a paramedic student, has been taught that if the airway is still stable and they can get that IV in ASAP, other meds are better than the epi.

So, if possible, put in an emergecy call to his allergist instead of a G.P. or a pediatrician. I think the allergist is your best bet. Chances are he/she will want some proactive monitoring and can decide what the next step is. Chances are, the ped or G.P. would assume that whatever the ER doc did is good enough.

I'm not disparaging the ER doc but those that aren't board certified or are b.c. but haven't worked ER long, don't have a lot of experience with those really scary secondary reactions that occur just as soon as the benadryl wears off!

Faith

They've checked him out and said that his throat looked swollen and his eyes were swollen and lips were swollen.

I wish they'd have kept him a while to keep an eye on him.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? from another mother of anaphylactic children and a :grouphug:

When my ds had his first and only peanut reaction at age 11 months (I knew zippo about food allergies), he swelled up immediately and everywhere. I WISH I had taken a picture of him, to show him when he got older, and to show others who took a very. long. time. in accepting our explanations of "Food can kill him. Please ask us first, and don't be offended every time we ask to read the ingredients list."

:grouphug:

This is not necessarily true.

Epi-pens can cause cardiac side effects - including arrhythmias. It isn't *likely*, but it is possible. (Although if one is taking a betablocker, an epi-pen dose can be very dangerous - less dangerous than anaphalaxis, but non-trivial. It can also have serious side effects for diabetics.)

It has powerful, systemic effects, which is why it is effective, but it is not trivial or benign. I absolutely agree that it is better to administer it when not sure - but *always* call 911 if an epi-pen is used, and be aware of possible side effects...

Yes, I suppose I should have said "for most people". Also, our doctor told us this... I didn't make it up. It would be better to have those side effects than what can happen if you did not give the Epi-pen.

I agree that you should always call 911 after using an Epi-pen (I think I mentioned this in my earlier post).

Edited by Jinnah

I'm praying too...just realized I need to check the thread to see if you've already posted an update.

So scary. We had a similar thing. I also drove my son to the ER. I don't know if that is what happened in your case but I've since learned I should have called 911. :grouphug:

I'm gathering he's ok.

ER's don't know how to handle ana reactions unfortunately. They needed to observe him for I think it's three hours for biphasic. My son did go biphasic. The second reaction in a biphasic is, generally, the more deadly with blood pressure drops and the like.

Our allergist (and the anaphylaxis network and etc.) suggest that if they won't hold you you should "camp out" in the waiting room until that risk period has passed.

I don't know the time frame here but if he's still in the time frame to possibly go biphasic I would take him back living through what we did with our son.

Can the allergist sit him down and talk to him about the seriousness and the way you might recover once and then die immediately the next time? You might also be able to find youtube videos and I know you can find news stories. The highest risk for anaphylaxis is in the teens I believe because kids get careless and do feel invincible.

Ack. Ok. You might want to discuss an action plan with your allergist and do some reading up. In many cases of death the epi was given. But it was given too late. The statistics show that epi pens are effective very early in a reaction. You don't wait until things get bad/breathing is affected, etc. because by then the epi would likely not do enough (were this going to progress to deadly it wouldn't be able to stop it).

You give an epi at the first sign and call 911. The Kids with Food Allergies board and the Anaphylaxis network are really good for information. If your allergist has recommended you wait on epi pens and drive him if he's not bad I would seek a second opinion as he's making recommendations that put your child at significant risk. Our plan: any known ingestion or any two systems (there are lists of ana symptoms--it isn't always hives or breathing and in fact the most dangerous are blood pressure drops) is and epi pen and 911. You don't want to wait on the epi pen.

This is hard isn't it? I wish these allergies didn't exist.

Edited by sbgrace

BIG HUGS!

DS4 has multiple food allergies.. I gave an Epi-pen once and I will never be afraid again. In our plan any throat symptoms= epi.

I pray all the time that children with food allergies outgrow them.

hugs!!:grouphug:

A few times ago when this happened, his secondary reaction was MUCH worse than the first one. So, I'm particularly scared today. ...

This would concern me. With that history, I would have expected steroids (a tapering pack, probably 5 days) to help prevent secondary reactions. Can you call your regular doc and ask if he thinks a prescription may be warranted?

This is really, really important. I don't have links for you right now, but the statistics on deaths from anaphylactic reactions indicate that teenagers are at a much higher risk than children and adults. There may be some physical factors involved (bodies changing so quickly and reactions with them), but it mostly seems to come down to attitude and oversight. Kids are reaching an age when they are (rightly) spending more time than ever before outside the direct supervision of parents or other adults *and* they tend to be fearless and more risk-taking than other age groups. They're less likely to carry their Benedryl and Epi-Pens with them wherever they go and they're *more* likely to take risks (like eating something without making 110% sure they know all of the ingredients).

I think you need to tell him exactly what your fears are and look up some of the statistics to back this up. You *know* he's older and you can't protect him like you would a toddler or a young child any more. You can't be and shouldn't have to be responsible for inspecting every bite he takes. You can't and shouldn't follow him around everywhere he goes. But he has to understand that the risks are still there...

I'd be giving me "blood and bones" speech, like the one I used to give my 2yos when they dared try to let go of my hands in a parking lot. ;)

I'm glad he seems to be doing okay now. I'd be making some calls about steroids and, of course, just keep a close eye on him...

I have to say my awful anaphalactice ER story. Once I had to bring in my youngest to the ER because of bad breathing problems. We were checking in and in behind us, came in a women with her husband or boyfriend. He looked like a balloon. His whole face was obviously extremely swollen. He was red, his hands were swollen, etc. The lady is screaming that he is having an allergic reaction and the clerk is telling them to wait. I tell them I think he needs to be seen first, they don't do anything. We went to sit down and wait and they weren't attending to him still. I don't know what happened since they transferred us to go to the pediatric side of the er. I will keep praying that everything turns out ok.

How is he doing today, Jennifer?