Menu

HELP--Family Game Night

I need ideas.

I have 12yo and a 6yo. Both boys, both like to play board games. The problem is finding games for all of us to play. The 6yo is a good reader. But still, games like Scrabble are out. I am so sick of UNO. Monopoly is boring.

What kind of games can we play that we will all enjoy?

Clue

Life

Rummy (card game)

Dutch Blitz (card game)

Outburst

Scattegories

Taboo

Yahtzee

Settlers of Cataan

We love the Cranium Family Fun game. My brother got them Pictureka for Christmas, and that is fun. What about Apples to Apples Junior?

Oh yes, Apples to Apples! And...Sorry(old game but still fun)...Chinese Checkers. Pictionary - don't know if that is similar to Pictureka which Nakia mentioned.

What genre are you looking for? We love Sci-Fi and Fantasy here, so here are our top ones that can be played with younger kiddos & adults:

The Game of Life - Pirates of the Caribbean version & Star Wars version

Castle Panic - a cooperative fantasy game

Drakon - a fantasy tile game

Pirate's Cove by Days of Wonder

Here's the favorites around here:

Uno

Uno Attack

Uno Spin

Sorry (Talking Head version)

Sorry board game

Sorry Revenge Card Game

Apples to Apples

Battleship

Bingo

Rummikub

Yahtzee

Yahtzee Hands Down card game

Monopoly

Mine are 7 & 9. Our favorites are:

Settlers of Catan

Monopoly Deal (the best parts of Monopoly in a 15 min card game that's only $5--BEST game purchase. Ever.)

Pit

Risk, if we've got the time. Which we don't.

We also play:

12-dot dominoes--this isn't a favorite, but it could be played when dd was as young as 3, & it's a lifesaver compared to Candy Land.

Wahoo

Slap? I don't love this one

Stratego--not bad, but only 2 player

Have you tried Farkle? I just picked up one for a friend today called Set as well. They should both work with both boys. Well, Farkle if the 6 yo is good in math. Otherwise I don't see why he couldn't play.

Ugh. We played Set w/ a friend who's a phd in math. I'll never see that as an easy game! :lol:

UNO Spin is more fun than UNO, and it goes more quickly.

Skip-Bo is not too hard for a 6 yo.

We like all the Cranium games.

Doodle Dice

Set

Sequence

LCR

The classics: Sorry, Monopoly, Life, Yahtzee, Pictionary

We play Farkle, but we call it Zonk. You just need 6 dice. Also, Dutch Blitz is like a game we play - Squeak - with one deck of cards per player. You can probably google for rules. We have the Hoyle book of games, and dc are always finding new card games in it.

The best game we've found for large age differences has been Jenga. At Christmas, we had from age 4-80 playing it. The only other game I'm coming up with (other than the large assortment already mentioned by others) is Rook played in teams to help offset age differences.

My children are born 8 and then 10 years apart. We played Canasta every Sunday night and by the time time they were 5, all three of them were able to play without help. Before that, they would partner with another player until they grasped how to play. Not a board game, but who doesn't love Canasta?

We recently discover some fun games at a home-school convention.

These are not found in stores and that is part of the attraction I think for my girls.

Out of the Box

http://www.otb-games.com/index.html

We like brain box but they also have other games here:

http://www.greenboardgames.com/

And my 10yodd plays Q-bits with my 6yodd

http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTORE/ProductSearch/ListDisplay.aspx

Yahtzee, Rumikub, Monopoly Jr., Life Jr., Racko, Sorry, Clue Jr., dominoes, Split, Is There a Moose in the House, Rummy - all forms, Poker, Rat-a-tat-Cat There are lots more that come to mind, but are for two players - like mancala, Pente, Battleship, Knots, etc..

On edit: Yes - definitely Set!!! And along those lines, Quiddler - he can get the help of a parent until his spelling catches up, but it's much easier than Scrabble. Also Upwords is easier than Scrabble as you can just change words already on the board.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

These are great suggestions ladies! I am making a list.

I am intrigued by the idea of Settlers of Catan. I wonder if my 6yo could do it (or maybe teamed up with one of us)? We like strategy games like that. hmmm.....

I think most 6-yr olds could handle Catan with minimal help. There is no reading involved (some basic math, though), and the games is as much about luck as it is about strategy.

Catan is our family favorite, but we also love the card game "Loot." It's much quicker, and great for those evenings when you don't have a whole hour to sit down and play.

These are great suggestions ladies! I am making a list.

I am intrigued by the idea of Settlers of Catan. I wonder if my 6yo could do it (or maybe teamed up with one of us)? We like strategy games like that. hmmm.....

Seriously, it's so great, I've had to ask dh to hide it from ME. If 6yo's too young, at least he'll be "trained" for it when he's a little older. And really, I'd count teaching this game as school. Uhhh...logic, & uh....culture, development, economics...YES! That's it! Elementary economics. Goodness, Heather, how could you think of shortchanging your kids by not offering Elem Ec? :lol:

Settlers can be a bit long for a 6 year old. If you like it a version like Simply Catan will shorten the play time.

Try boardgamegeek.com. Lots of interesting games explained there.

Favorites around our house:

7 year old--

Stone Age

Claim It

Factory Manager (that's probably a bit old for most kids but he likes it for some reason)

Dominion

Chateau Rocquefort*

Coloretto

Ticket to Ride*

Chinatown

Bohnanza*

Clue*

* works well for this age group

9 year old--

Wings of War

Arabian Nights

Also recommended:

Blokus

Pandemic

Incan Gold

Ubongo

10 Days in the USA (or Europe, Asia, Africa)

Zooloretto

Settlers can be a bit long for a 6 year old. If you like it a version like Simply Catan will shorten the play time.

When we want a quicker game, we leave out the robber. It's amazing how much that guy slows things down! :001_smile:

We like Munchin....some reading, but he might be able to memorize most of the important details. This is a Table-top game, found at specialty Game-shops....or amazon! We also enjoy Swap, Skip-Bo and Nacho Loco! Good Luck! And thanks for starting the topic--I have a list to check out for myself!! :D