Menu

Do you debunk myths?

Taking the 5th amendment on this one. I have been here far too long and my answer is unfortunately far too obvious. Dh tells others that the only time he saw me refrain from correcting, informing and telling others what was what is when I was looking down the business end of a 45 aimed right at my chest by an armed robber. We were not harmed but dh was so very glad I knew when to remain silent.

:lol:

Glad you were okay! It's good to hear that you were able to refrain from correcting. I hope I don't ever have to find out if I'd be able to keep quiet. :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely.

I send people to "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" all the time to dispell the "we only use a tiny percentage of our brains" myth.

I remember hearing that one debunked very simply: "Have you ever heard about someone suffering a serious head injury or stroke, in which the doctor said 'fortunately, it only involved the 90% of the brain that isn't used, so everything is fine.' " Is that in The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat?

As an example, my dear mother believed until the day she died that the moon landings were all a fake. I explained (often) to my children that Grandma was entitled to her own opinion on the matter, but I did not agree with her. Out of respect for my mother, I did not argue with her about it - I just let it slide.

I agree with her. So, even if you disagreed with me, it wouldn't phase me.

Okay, so, hypothetically, if someone posted on the curriculum board about a science resource, and, hypothetically, you knew that cognitive scientists pretty much universally agree that "signing" apes are not actually using language, but this hypothetical person found the story of Koko's kitten sweet and moving and a good resource for her hypothetical children, would you link her to a debunking?

Sure, if I felt moved to. We are here for educational purposes and I for one have learnt a lot coming here that I may not otherwise have been exposed to. I would have no problem seeing a link like that UNLESS it was linking to a religious site.

However...science is hardly beyond repoach nowadays. What is passed off as science is often based on all sorts of previous presumptions...so I don't put "myth" and "science" at two ends of the spectrum. Sometimes myth is based in truth and sometimes science just isn't.

With a lot of stuff, its just best to listen to all sides and keep an open mind without necessarily drawing conclusions and jumping on a bandwagon.

As for issues close to my heart...I also don't share them with everyone who has an opposing viewpoint, unless my opinion is asked or I am part of a discussion that invites my input, and I feel it will be warmly received. I don't see it as my mission to change everyone's opinion about breastfeeding or homeschooling or organic food, evne though I am passionate about those issues. I live my life and I walk my talk and that is enough for me.

Okay, so, hypothetically, if someone posted on the curriculum board about a science resource, and, hypothetically, you knew that cognitive scientists pretty much universally agree that "signing" apes are not actually using language, but this hypothetical person found the story of Koko's kitten sweet and moving and a good resource for her hypothetical children, would you link her to a debunking?

I have no opinion of the science in this situation, but I think it unkind to "hypothetically" discuss a specific post. You have dozens of people responding to a general question, then make it seem as if their responses reflect on one particular person's post.

:lurk5:

Simply - yes, I'm definitely a nice dark rain cloud pouring on warm-fuzzy parades, especially if my kids are there to hear it.

But, it doesn't really happen that often, most people don't bring up controversial subjects in public (unless you're on a forum where no one knows you and then all sorts of warm-fuzzys are viciously and repeatedly attacked by someone elses warm fuzzies).

~ June (who has far too much free time today & who is still enjoying the aftereffects of the sign your name like spycar thread)

PS -- I would hope that the science curricula thread of which you speak is not on this forum considering the fact that you should have then just debunked it and moved on, rather than making a post about it, since this thread would be considered to be in rather poor taste if it were here...

Edited by junepep
PS & mistypes *sigh*

I remember hearing that one debunked very simply: "Have you ever heard about someone suffering a serious head injury or stroke, in which the doctor said 'fortunately, it only involved the 90% of the brain that isn't used, so everything is fine.' " Is that in The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat?

No, he points out that the theory was based on poking the brain and watching the body react.

The book itself, though, speaks to the incredible nature of our brains. How some things can go wrong, how a person can lose the ability to relate to their own bodies, and various other things he came across as a neuro-phys(think it's cologist, but not positive ;) ). It's written by the doctor that "Awakenings" was based on.

I've been very fortunate that the only people debunking anything I've said have done it with grace. I would hope that people would realize that I'm not trying to propagate a myth or anything false. I do appreciate it though when they link some sort of proof so that I know that they aren't counteracting my myth with one of their own:)

For 60 years my MIL has believed that you soak in a tub of bleach water to kill the chiggers that have burrowed into your skin. I explained to her that chiggers are soft bodied bugs that can be squished like an ant. All you have to do is shower and rub your skin lightly with your hands or a cloth and they will be dead. They do not burrow into your skin. She doesn't believe me.

We’ve got a lovely young man in our area who is about to graduate college. However, he grew up in the mountains and is a true hill billy. He once cut his had with a filthy, contaminated pocket knife. To prevent the contaminants from seeping into his blood stream, he purposefully cut the tips of each of his five fingers and held his hand downward so the germs could “bleed out” of his hand. I wasn’t there that day, but I did try to explain to him that he shouldn’t do that again!

Another college boy from here once visited my farm. He picked up a couple of sticks and began to "divine" for water. First I laughed, then I told him that he was practicing an old wive's tale.

Yes, I often debunk. But only things like these that are obviously wrong or inappropriate.

This is not fact. It depends on who you ask and what their agenda is regarding language or apes or whatever. :glare:

So in this case I might say, " FYI, not everyone is convinced of ....."

However I think that it would have been better to do it in that thread, and be general in this one. It seems sort of mean to that OP to be essentially talking about her behind her back. :confused:

This is not fact. It depends on who you ask and what their agenda is regarding language or apes or whatever. :glare:

So in this case I might say, " FYI, not everyone is convinced of ....."

However I think that it would have been better to do it in that thread, and be general in this one. It seems sort of mean to that OP to be essentially talking about her behind her back. :confused:

That's okay -- I have a pretty tough skin. ;) I'm all for educational enlightmentment -- just bring it on. :auto: I'm just a homeschooling mom trying to learn along with my boys.

Another college boy from here once visited my farm. He picked up a couple of sticks and began to "divine" for water. First I laughed, then I told him that he was practicing an old wive's tale.

I actually have been present at both my properties when we had a fellow we knew 'witch' for water with a peach limb, watched it action and felt it. Both times he hit our well on the mark while surrounding properties had multiple taps without locating a vein.

He also had me place my hands on the limbs during the witch. I felt a strong pull on the limbs as we moved over that area.

I witnessed and felt it physically, and also have had both wells drilled in those spots. You will not convince me to any degree this was untrue.

However...science is hardly beyond repoach nowadays. What is passed off as science is often based on all sorts of previous presumptions...so I don't put "myth" and "science" at two ends of the spectrum. Sometimes myth is based in truth and sometimes science just isn't.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

No.

Oliver Sacks is both a neurologist and a psychiatrist (two MD degrees [yes, that is redundant]). A neuropsychologist is a PhD unless the person goes on to also get an MD in neurology.

a

Edited by asta

To share information that a person may not be aware of is always good. I read the WIKI on Koko the signing ape here.

Good points were made on both sides, which could have led to a great discussion if brought up in the original thread. (Which was a simple book recommendation.)

I'm really sorry to say, but to do it in this manner reminds me of a girl in Jr. High who used to raise her hand and ask "hypothetical" questions of the teacher about "tacky clothes", when the whole class (including the teacher) knew to whom she was referring. (That would be the girl staring quietly at her desk.)

Oh dear. I absolutely did not mean to be mean, and I'm very sorry to have come off that way. I can totally see now where I went wrong in tone and context.

FWIW, I wouldn't lump the ape communication stuff in with the old wives' tales that have been mentioned in this thread. It's not absurd on the face of it, and there are legitimate books and materials published which assert that it's true. It's more along the lines of things like "Betsy Ross made the first American flag" and "quilts were used as secret signals on the Underground Railroad" and "Chief Joseph made a speech about environmentalism." Those things show up in many books & other media, and so tons of people believe them because they aren't aware of the debunking literature.

So I wasn't thinking "Hee hee, that poster is so stupid to believe that!!" I was legitimately thinking "Is there harm in continuing to believe a cool story, if it's not going to hurt anyone?"

But never mind. I'm sorry.

FWIW, I wouldn't lump the ape communication stuff in with the old wives' tales that have been mentioned in this thread. It's not absurd on the face of it, and there are legitimate books and materials published which assert that it's true. It's more along the lines of things like "Betsy Ross made the first American flag" and "quilts were used as secret signals on the Underground Railroad" and "Chief Joseph made a speech about environmentalism." Those things show up in many books & other media, and so tons of people believe them because they aren't aware of the debunking literature.

I don't see Koko as analogous with those things, either. She is, after all, an actual gorilla who uses signs. There's no debate about that. The debate is to whether she uses signs in a way that constitutes language. And there is debate. Saying, "I've observed Koko and disagree with her trainer's assertion that she's using language" is completely different from "the idea of quilts as signals on the underground railroad started out as part of a fictional story but has since been repeated as fact many times."

And anyway, whether or not Koko uses language, her paintings are awesome. :D

Honestly, all is fine. Have a great day.

Oh dear. I absolutely did not mean to be mean, and I'm very sorry to have come off that way. I can totally see now where I went wrong in tone and context.

So I wasn't thinking "Hee hee, that poster is so stupid to believe that!!" I was legitimately thinking "Is there harm in continuing to believe a cool story, if it's not going to hurt anyone?"

In a real live conversation, it's hard to say. Just depends on the dynamics. But with email, I'm with your dh. If you send me an email with the subject line

FW: Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: This is REAL!!!!!!!!!!!

You're gonna be getting a snopes link in return. And if you have cc-ed me with a thousand other people I don't know, you're going to get a link to a "how to use bcc" webpage as well.

Otherwise, I'm quite polite. Truly. :D It's just that I tend to lose patience after the two hundred and fifty third time I've received the same stupid urban legend about a horrifying new computer virus that's going to hit everyone tomorrow . . . and its an email that has been circulated for four years. :lol:

I like the idea of the bcc link! I've always done the snopes and other searches too.

In person, it sure depends on the situation. I would very rarely rebutt someone's beliefs in public. But dc and I often discuss things later. Fortunately we are not often around folks who espouse extreme views or kooky myths, though ds did come to me with questions after a baseball dad he met went on at length in a "truther" vein. Ds is so young he hasn't heard much of the real history at all much less this stuff. If I'd been around for this, I would've probably deflected it with a "really?" kind of comment and tried to change the subject. Some folks will just hold on to things.

And if you have cc-ed me with a thousand other people I don't know, you're going to get a link to a "how to use bcc" webpage as well.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Especially when it is a homeschool group, because you end up getting emails from someone you don't know who is selling Tupperware or Usborne. :glare: I think if you can't use BCC, you shouldn't be in charge of anything. JMHO.

In a real live conversation, it's hard to say. Just depends on the dynamics. But with email, I'm with your dh. If you send me an email with the subject line

You're gonna be getting a snopes link in return. And if you have cc-ed me with a thousand other people I don't know, you're going to get a link to a "how to use bcc" webpage as well.

Otherwise, I'm quite polite. Truly. :D It's just that I tend to lose patience after the two hundred and fifty third time I've received the same stupid urban legend about a horrifying new computer virus that's going to hit everyone tomorrow . . . and its an email that has been circulated for four years. :lol:

:iagree::iagree:I do debunk things via email... if I read them at all.

Why would I try to debunk someones sacred tales? :D

False-hoods, those are worth de-bunking!

Bill (playing to stereotype ;) )

LOL Bill, there is more than one definition for the word myth. But I love that you are holding true.

I hit "reply all" with a snopes article. That way the romor doesn't keep going. (This also helps repeat offenders learn how to BCC- they get embarassed.)

I did a reply-all with snopes with the "Tommy Hilfinger is a Racist" e-mail, and the woman who sent it to me was REALLY MAD at me! She had her husband send me an e-mail about how I had embarassed her in front of her friends, etc etc when she was only trying to be helpful.

I responded that she should check for accuracy before she spreads rumors, and I would sure want someone to check on a rumor about my business before spreading it to all their friends. I told them I would continue to reply-all to any misinformation she chooses to forward, and I suggested she take me off her spam list. Hehehe!

You take a rather simplistic view towards historical information. There are legitimate debates on a number of things and just lumping them as "myths" is a convenient way to put down other people's views. I don't know the whole story about some like Betsy Ross, for example, but I do know that it isn't so simple as you say. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagpcp.html I would much rather teach my kids that "Some people think that Betsy Ross made the first American flag. These are the reasons they think that. But some people think that it was really created by someone else. These are their reasons."

I would much rather teach my kids that "Some people think that Betsy Ross made the first American flag. These are the reasons they think that. But some people think that it was really created by someone else. These are their reasons."
:iagree:That is exactly how I like to present things.

No.

Oliver Sacks is both a neurologist and a psychiatrist (two MD degrees [yes, that is redundant]). A neuropsychologist is a PhD unless the person goes on to also get an MD in neurology.

a

Thank you, I didn't care to look it up, but knew it was something along those lines.

I do debunk things via email... if I read them at all.

And I'm filled with gratitude every time ;)

Someone told me the original guy from Blue's Clues was fired from the show for being a druggie. I'm sure that's a................................myth.

Steve?!? No, he went on to build up his awesome music career! That new guy, though, is looking a little rough.

I usually debunk science myths, especially if they pertain to things like birth or breastfeeding, because allowing those myths to perpetuate DOES hurt people.

Would you please contact my sister-in-law then? Would you *please* convince her that going barefoot when you're pregnant will not make you catch a cold in your uterus and miscarry the baby? :001_huh:

I personally love crypto-zoology and if I ever say anything to you like "The Big Hairy Truth is Out There" please do not debunk my belief. It is fun. :P

Me too! I love cryptozoology (Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster are my favorites :001_smile:). My brain knows that there's no evidence for these things, but it's just such a neat idea that they might exist...it's fun to read about.

I have no opinion of the science in this situation, but I think it unkind to "hypothetically" discuss a specific post. You have dozens of people responding to a general question, then make it seem as if their responses reflect on one particular person's post.

:iagree: and was thinking this very thing. Classic passive aggressive behavior, methinks.

Would you please contact my sister-in-law then? Would you *please* convince her that going barefoot when you're pregnant will not make you catch a cold in your uterus and miscarry the baby? :001_huh:

:smilielol5::banghead:

OHMY. Would it be unkind of me to offer to homeschool her quickly before the baby is born? :D

I would only correct someone if it was a safety issue. No, you don't rub your baby down with rubbing alcohol for a fever(MIL wisdom). Yes, you can get hit by lightning in the pool if the storm is miles away.

Anything else, I might just nod and set my kids straight later. But what do I know? I thought the Blair Witch Project was real footage:glare: Dh set me straight--after laughing a lot.

I would only correct someone if it was a safety issue. No, you don't rub your baby down with rubbing alcohol for a fever(MIL wisdom). Yes, you can get hit by lightning in the pool if the storm is miles away.

Anything else, I might just nod and set my kids straight later. But what do I know? I thought the Blair Witch Project was real footage:glare: Dh set me straight--after laughing a lot.

:)That's okay, my BIL thought X-Files was about true stories. :tongue_smilie:

Someone told me the original guy from Blue's Clues was fired from the show for being a druggie. I'm sure that's a................................myth.

NO! Don't believe it! Is there no end to people's cruelty :crying:.Steve is a good boy. He went to college. And not the party type! A legitimate hard core study one! People are just trying to malign his good name!

the one exception is when people insist that their children (or mine) wear a coat "so they won't get sick." Illness is caused by germs and viruses not ambient temperature. Children should be taught to wash their hands to avoid illness, not put on a coat/sweater just because the mother is chilly.

I read somewhere?( not sure where) that the germs are in your body already, and by not putting a coat on, your body temperature lowers, making it easier for the germs to multiply, and you get ill.

I have always believed that most wives tails ( which is what they are , not myths) have germs of truths in them, they are just worded unscientifically.

It is was easier to say to your child put on your coat, or you will catch a chill, than say you are lowering your body temperature, and are giving the germs a chance to multiply quicker!

NO! Don't believe it! Is there no end to people's cruelty :crying:.Steve is a good boy. He went to college. And not the party type! A legitimate hard core study one! People are just trying to malign his good name!

Our entire family misses Steve even all these years later. :001_smile:

Nah, it just makes you Catholic...

KIDDING! KIDDING!

(old Irish Catholic joke - barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen)

a

Thank you Bill for standing by the true meaning of 'myth'. :001_smile: This frustrates me no end with some of my friends when I try to explain what a myth 'is' and 'is not'.

It's a losing battle, but I will keep fighting it :D

Bill (Don Quixote :tongue_smilie:)

the one exception is when people insist that their children (or mine) wear a coat "so they won't get sick." Illness is caused by germs and viruses not ambient temperature. Children should be taught to wash their hands to avoid illness, not put on a coat/sweater just because the mother is chilly.

~M who just realized she does have a soapbox

That however is only half of the story.

Yes, germs and visruses cause illnesses, but they are around a lot anyway.

How come one person gets the flu and the other doesn't?

Because the conditions in the sick preson were conducive to getting sick- that is where good health and good diet comes in since a body that is fed a healthy diet will have a healthier immune system that otherwise.

And also, their temperature. If you are out in a rainstorm or a chilly wind, your body is expending a lot of energy on keeping itself warm- and has a lot less energy available to direct towards the immune response. So getting a chill- physically cold- can very much be a realistic trigger for getting sick, if other factors are present such a viruses and bacteria, which they frequently are.

That "old wives tale" is one with its feet firmly planted in reality, I am afraid.

Germs and bacteria are only one factor in the whole health picture. The "ground" they thrive on must also be conducive to their proliferation, otherwise the immune system will just wipe them out.

My dh, on the other hand, loves to take those emails that are urban legend and reply with the snopes article attached. He is quite blunt, preferring to not waste time with pleasantries.

Me too! In fact I did it right before I opened this thread. I mean SERIOUSLY, how dumb do you have to be to believe that Make a Wish is going to pay 7 cents for each email forward. I'm genuinely astonished at the people who send me these things.

Eating crow here. :o I really do try to be peaceable toward those who hold wrong beliefs. This afternoon, however, I lit into someone posting in another thread, who does not (if I understood her post correctly) believe in the stark reality of mental health and developmental health conditions. People who deny facts about those topics sometimes trigger passionate and truthful responses from me.

I saw this happen on anther board, I believe that it's something to do with Scientologists proletysing, and they are encouraged to do some. Something vaguely like that anyway, don't quote me, and check Snopes :lol: Yes, they are trolls and they want to engage in argument on that point.

Yes, I often debunk. But only things like these that are obviously wrong or inappropriate.

I'm not sure I can agree on devining water being a myth. I've seen my Nana do it.

You made me snort :lol: There really are no limits to some peoples crazy ideas huh.