Menu

Alternatives to shaving, for legs?

My dds are approaching puberty rapidly, and I am wondering if there are any practical alternatives to shaving their legs. For instance, is it true that if you never start shaving, your leg hair stays light? If so, that's what I will try to convince them to do; if not, I am interested in alternatives. I know Ester Maria has her daughters "sugar;" is this an at-home thing, or a salon thing? Are there other alternatives? I appreciate all suggestions. :D

Waxing. Isn't as painful to me as some people think, lasts pretty long. Get the numbing stuff to spread on after.

Dipilatories--I don't like them b/c they never seem to get all the hair, I hate the smell of some of them, and shaving is easier, I think (I'm all for quick and cheap).

The best alternative is simply not to shave. I'm firmly in the camp that considers female shaving a cultural invention, -- a marketing invention, more likely -- with no useful justification. Of course I am of the minority opinion, but I would rather my daughter think than "follow herd." She will make her own choice when she is an adult.

Funny you should mention this since my DD decided to try it herself and also her arms...not armpits...arms!! Oh my! Anyway if your DDs dont have thick dark hair I would let them avoid it as long as possible. If, however, they have really dark hair I would encourage waxing I guess. Other kids do notice and I have heard my kids talk about the girl down the street several times because...well she has very hairy arms. Cultural or not kids notice. If they want to do something about it I would just guide them. I am blessed with very fine hair and can literally count the number of hairs on each leg. Hopefully my girls will follow suit and be able to go weeks. My poor sister has lush, dark hair and has a 5 o'clock shadow. Guess there is always a trade off!

Your hair does not change color because you shave. It does have a more tapered end instead of being blunt. If it helps, shaving has not been the big deal I thought it would. In fact, after making my eldest wait to shave, I let her younger sisters shave shortly after she started. It just isn't a huge thing. If they want to shave and change their minds, it is okay. They don't have to continue.

I epilate. I used to wax and this is less messy and easier to deal with. I only have to take a couple of minutes a couple of days a week and no rough stubble between. The hair that comes back is finer and easier to epilate.

I also do my underarms and love, love, love it. I used to shave there and was always getting ingrown hairs and it itched. I don't have a lot of hair anywhere, but the hair there was very coarse and grows fast. So by the middle of the day my underarms were itchy and bothered me. Now, I only have to epilate a couple of days a week and no itchiness, no soreness, no coarse ingrown hairs.

I highly reccomend it.

The best alternative is simply not to shave. I'm firmly in the camp that considers female shaving a cultural invention, -- a marketing invention, more likely -- with no useful justification. Of course I am of the minority opinion, but I would rather my daughter think than "follow herd." She will make her own choice when she is an adult.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:totally and completely: :iagree:

And, yes I do think that never shaving makes for lighter/softer hair. I have never shaved my arms and they are lightly covered in soft blonde hair. I wish I would have NEVER started shaving my legs!

And as far as the "cultural or not, kids will notice". How about having your daughter stand up to people who are making fun of someone else rather than having her think that 'if someone makes fun of it, then I need to conform'?

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

I know Ester Maria has her daughters "sugar;" is this an at-home thing, or a salon thing? Are there other alternatives? I appreciate all suggestions. :D

Well, technically you can do it at home too, but it has several disadvantages - it can possibly get "messy" (as with home waxing too), it can take ages till you do it "properly" (it's not very complicated, but more complicated than simple wax), and it's usually not very convenient for young girls, especially starters, to do it themselves (one of them to the sister maybe). For all those reasons, a salon is a better choice - just make sure you find a professional one, with people who know what to do, and there should be no problems.

Sugaring is more practical than waxing as its effects last longer, and it's not any more painful. It's especially convenient for women who - not sure I'll manage to explain this, but bear with me - have hair which doesn't grow "at the same rate", like all of it at the same time - with wax you always risk leaving some small ones in the bud and not being able to wax it all off from the root, which leads to inequality of the "surface" later. Also, all kinds of "side effects" are a lot rarer with sugar than with wax, which is why sugar is more convenient too.

Overall, anything that rips it off as opposed to just mechanically trimming, which is essentially what shaving does. It's for the best to never start shaving in the first place and to make the roots weaker right from the start.

For instance, is it true that if you never start shaving, your leg hair stays light? :D

I only wish this were true :glare: My hairs were very black and very long by the time I was 10, and the kids were none too nice about letting me know I should shave!

OTOH, DD's body hair is practically invisible so she does not even bother shaving, with the exception of her underarm hairs which are quite prolific:tongue_smilie:

When I cared, I Nair'd (there's a slogan there). Well, for the first ten years or so until I developed an allergic reaction to the stuff. To all brands. After that, I started shaving only when I had to show legs. I wish I could go back to depilitating (a word?), it was so easy! And it took at least a full 24 hours for the stubble to show up! If only the hair on my head grew like the hair on my legs...

...is it true that if you never start shaving, your leg hair stays light?...

Nope. :) But, as someone said, it does mean you don't cut the hairs off in the middle, so they have the wispy ends of new hairs rather than the pricklier cut hairs. Anyone can get back to that by not shaving for 1-3 months though.

Both of my girls have very course hair, and have never shaved (obviously - they're only 6 and 4). Some girls are just blessed :glare: with this even as little children.

When the time comes, I'm going to show them how...what mode, I'm not sure. I had this same visible, course hair and it really, really bothered me as soon as I hit Jr. High. My Mom was dead-set against me shaving. I took it upon myself to do it. Dry. It hurt SO badly for days. She took pity upon me, realized it was a big deal to me, and helped me.

I shave. Even my DH shaves! (He's a cyclist, though, and it's a cycle culture and crash-pain-prevention thing for bicyclists). Both girls are interested in swim team already, and it's a cultural thing for swimmers, too. I'm sure I'll be teaching this sooner rather than later.

:

And, yes I do think that never shaving makes for lighter/softer hair. I have never shaved my arms and they are lightly covered in soft blonde hair. I wish I would have NEVER started shaving my legs!

I stopped shaving a few years ago - used an epilator for a bit, then just stopped. My leg hair is dark (my head hair is also very dark) but it's soft and less visible than the stubble I got when I was shaving.

Laura

My girls have very dark, course hair. Theirs bodies are dark too (they are AA), so it is not really noticeable. My oldest wanted to start shaving a couple of years ago, and I let her. I just showed her how and it really hasn't been a big deal. My youngest is just now asking and I will show her how as soon as we have time.

When I started shaving, my dad thought an electric razor would be safer so he went and bought me one. I'm not sure if that is true, but my dd has done fine with a regular razor.

Nope. :) But, as someone said, it does mean you don't cut the hairs off in the middle, so they have the wispy ends of new hairs rather than the pricklier cut hairs. Anyone can get back to that by not shaving for 1-3 months though.

Yup. The old, blunt-cut hairs will fall out naturally, and the new hairs will be tapered at the end, and softer.

Great thread. I think when we get there I will likely try and convince her to wax or sugar depending on finances.

I am all for the idea that shaving etc is cultural and therfore unnecessary but this has been a battle with my DH often because he would have me be perfectly hairless at all times. So I doubt with that and society she will not want to shave at some point I will try but am prepared to convince her of waxing/sugaring as well.

I hope dd doesn't get my dark thick hair genes she is too young to tell yet I think. So far she doesn't seem to have thick dark body hair but not sure if that can change in puberty.

I only wish this were true :glare: My hairs were very black and very long by the time I was 10, and the kids were none too nice about letting me know I should shave!

First I got teased for my dark leg hair, then I got teased for never wearing skirts and dresses (which I loved to wear, but got tired of the hair teasing).

I flat out had to refuse to wear an Easter dress in 4th grade to get my mom to take me seriously about needing to shave. She bought me an electric shaver and I loved that. No nicks. No bleeding. Could shave dry. I used that exclusively for many years. I'm seriously considering getting another one.

That. If my daughters (or my son!) want to shave, wax or whatever, fine. But I'm not about to encourage it.

Not that they are that likely to listen to you anyway. I still remember my mother telling me that if I shaved my legs, my fine blond hair would turn into dark, thick hair. I did. It did. I spent years wishing I'd listened to my mother :lol:

Not that they are that likely to listen to you anyway. I still remember my mother telling me that if I shaved my legs, my fine blond hair would turn into dark, thick hair. I did. It did. I spent years wishing I'd listened to my mother :lol:

DD and I have discussed the topic. We both agree that underarm hair removal usually is a good idea, because of body odor issues. She and I are in cheerful agreement that neither of us ever have heard complaints about unpleasant odor deriving from leg hair.

To me, nothing works better than one of those silk epil machines. It pulls all the hair out. It hurts when you start out but the hair on your legs and arms gets very weak from being constantly pulled out and it stops hurting so much. I used to do it every week when I first started. I did it that way cause it doesn't hurt as much if you don't let all your hair grow back. Then after 1 year I only had to do it once a month. You don't get the mess you get with sugaring or waxing and its not a frequently used as shaving. Its one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Thanks for all the replies so far! This is very helpful. I may look into an epilator for me, and then perhaps, for them. At this point their hair is very fine and light, hence my reluctance to have them shave it while it is still clearly a non-issue, socially.

Orthodox6, I tend to agree with you about the artificiality of the current culture of shaving, and I wish now that I had never started. My dds are luckier in their associates than I was at the same age, and have not had anyone tease them about their body hair. I just want them to feel unobtrusive and comfortable in their own skins, KWIM? I will be encouraging them to shave their underarms, however.

The best alternative is simply not to shave. I'm firmly in the camp that considers female shaving a cultural invention, -- a marketing invention, more likely -- with no useful justification.

I don't really care what other people do, but I wanted to point out that sugaring doesn't really require participation in consumer culture. One can make her own sugar solution at home and use old cloths. Doesn't get much less consumeristic than that! Not to mention the adrenaline rush of large swaths of hair being removed all at once does make you consider how much you really care about the hair! ;)

I come from a family where some are nearly hairless. They, of course, think shaving / hair removal is a waste of time. Those with pale skin + lots of hair, on the other hand, tend to find it a bit more troublesome.

There's no doubt hair changes when girls go through puberty so the idea that "don't shave it and it won't get darker/coarser" doesn't fly with me. My dd1 is 8 yrs. and must be pre-pub. right now. The hair on her legs is totally changing. It is longer, thicker and darker. I'm sad to see this so early b/c she has severe disabilities and I'm going to have to do something about it at some point! She's very fair and the hair is totally noticeable. I remember the hairy leg issue started with me in 3rd grade so she's right there. I also noticed the hair along her hairline is growing and her entire head of hair is noticeably thicker. My stylist says it's puberty. We get hairier all over.

I'm actually going to research laser hair removal for her. I don't know if anyone would work on her at her age and w/her disabilities but 1) I'm not going to let her run around w/hairy legs (unless she communicates to me it doesn't bother her) 2) the upkeep is beyond me. I can't even keep my own legs shaved. I will be experimenting w/laser hair removal on myself first of course:D

We both agree that underarm hair removal usually is a good idea, because of body odor issues.

There's no problem (in my experience) keeping fresh. After all, men manage it. I shower daily and use a roll-on deodorant. Not a problem.

Laura

Guest Noodles
My dd started out with something called VEET. It's really great.

I have to agree about VEET. I tried that Nair stuff in my teens etc..never worked on me. (I have the italian hair-dark, coarse, curly, etc..ugh.) So 25+ years later I was still doing it the "old fashioned" way. I'd suffer during summer-razor burn, bikini rash, etc... :(

My DD bought Veet and said it worked so I thought "Ok, I'll try one more time." Much to my surprise, it WORKED. On me! On this Italian fuzz ball!! :D It is now my best friend! J/K..but it really does work. And no razor burn or bikini rash!!

I use the one that is in the blue bottle-and leave it on for 15. The smell isn't too bad but it does have that depilatory smell. And supposedly they just came out with a new VEET that smells like roses?? I'll try that one next. :001_smile:

Guest Noodles

PS: I should add that I don't use it on my underarms. For some reason that hair doesn't work with anything but the good ol' Venus. But I have heard for those with less coarse hair that Veet worked great in that area so I guess it just depends on your hair texture.

When I was a child (around 7 or 8), I went with my parents to visit some of their friends. The woman was wearing a tank top. I was not looking at her underarms (I swear!), but she started in on a lecture about how she doesn't shave. I was taken aback because I honestly wasn't even thinking about her underarm hair! But it's not like I could have imagined that she did shave, anyhow, given the large amount of hair. I found that very off-putting. So I honestly don't care for activists on either side of this issue. We can see if you remove your hair or not, if you expose that body part, so I don't understand the big deal of telling people one way or the other. Sheesh.

I will be experimenting w/laser hair removal on myself first of course:D

Ooh yeah, forgot that one. If I ever have enough money (once things get better I am going to save for this) I want to get all my hair laser removed. While I totally agree with the fact that removal of body hair is cultural and completely unnatural I have to live with my husband and appeal to him. Besides I don't see the need to marginalize myself or my dd's on this issue. By no means do I believe in a follow the herd mentality but you pick your battles. For some things I have no problem getting ostracized by those that disagree but body hair is off-putting to way too many and many people treat you very differently so depending on your need of good public relations it is not always optional. It can even affect you or your husbands work relations. It is wrong but people do discriminate. If dd has thin hair I will try to convince her to keep from shaving or even any hair removal but if she gets my thick dark hair I will help her with other hair removal options.

I appreciate all suggestions. :D

Well, in that spirit, I suggest the TaraTheLiberator Patented Alternative: don't shave, and proudly flaunt your leg hair!

I shaved form the time I was 14 or 15 until I was a freshman in college. I was in the tiny little dorm shower trying to shave my legs, and when I leaned forward to shave, I'd hit my head on the stall. When I tried to reposition, I'd hit my rear on the stall.

I gave up and never went back to it.

Dropping the pit shaving took a few years.

I do shave my head, though. :D

Tara

We both agree that underarm hair removal usually is a good idea, because of body odor issues.

Really? What about men? Do they all stink?

I had a boy sitting next to me in a college English class who looked at my hairy leg and blurted out, "Women aren't supposed to have hair there!" I smiled sweetly at him and then raised my arm over my head to ask a question. Then I said, "I guess we're not supposed to have hair there either!"

Tara

I've just switched to an electric shaver and I love it. It's quick, easy and I never cut myself. It doesn't give me that same silky smooth feeling that you get when you use a razor, but for me, it's perfect.

Lisa

:iagree: I've been using electric for years and will never go back to regular razors, even if my doctor hadn't said I shouldn't (I'm diabetic).

If I shave right after I get up in the morning, I tend to get a closer shave and therefore a smoother feeling. The doc said it has to do with water retention during the day.

Nobody could consider me "an activist" regarding this issue. (Good grief, such a silly topic for hostility !) When the topic arises on message boards, I merely point out that choices exist. Many (most?) girls and women do not even realize that they have freedom of choice in this matter.

I am a very inconsistent shaver. I love being freshly shaven but it's a pain and I'm lazy. I like the silky smooth feeling. Dh doesn't really care. In winter months, I'm pretty hairy. I feel like I have a healthy grasp on the whole thing but you can bet I'm making an appt. for laser soon. There's a place (with good reviews and recs) that's running a spring special $59 for the first area and 1/2 off the next! I wish I could start w/the legs but, unfortunately, I'm going to try and knock out the 'stache and chin whiskers I'm sportin'.:D

No one has mentioned threading. I havent' tried it but was keeping an eye on this thread, he he, to see if anyone would. I'm interested in trying it but I'm basically a dope and probably won't be able to learn to do it correctly. I can see me going to mass with a long stubborn thread hopelessly tangled in my leg or underarm hair . . . or an eyebrow.

Seriously, anyone tried that?

No one has mentioned threading. I havent' tried it but was keeping an eye on this thread, he he, to see if anyone would. I'm interested in trying it but I'm basically a dope and probably won't be able to learn to do it correctly. I can see me going to mass with a long stubborn thread hopelessly tangled in my leg or underarm hair . . . or an eyebrow.

One of my dd's threads. I don't think she does on her legs though.

If you wish to remove hair from your body, why not shave? I think shaving is quicker than waxing. I wouldn't want a child of mine slathering hair removal chemicals all over themselves.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I don't shave my legs ever. But I have so few leg hairs I just pluck out the dark ones. I shave my pits in the summer sometimes.

I told my girls to let me know when/if they wanted to start shaving, and I will give them some helpful tips to not cut themselves. Older dd started shaving at about 14, younger dd hasn't started yet, not sure if she will bother.

Well, in that spirit, I suggest the TaraTheLiberator Patented Alternative: don't shave, and proudly flaunt your leg hair!

I shaved form the time I was 14 or 15 until I was a freshman in college. I was in the tiny little dorm shower trying to shave my legs, and when I leaned forward to shave, I'd hit my head on the stall. When I tried to reposition, I'd hit my rear on the stall.

I gave up and never went back to it.

Dropping the pit shaving took a few years.

I do shave my head, though. :D

Tara

:lol::lol:This is me all winter here in the frozen north--it takes a REALLY special occasion for me to shave in the winter time. However, as I say, I just don't want my dds to feel weird in public. Probably even you were a little less strong minded at 12 or 13?;) They haven't mentioned it yet as an issue either; I just want to be prepared with good response when they do.

Edited by Caitilin

Probably even you were a little less strong minded at 12 or 13?;)

No, I've pretty much been devil-may-care my whole life, much to my mother's chagrin. :001_smile: In 8th grade I was teased like crazy for wearing "clown shoes" (red high-top Chucks). By 10th grade even the cheerleaders were wearing them. Go figure! :D

Tara

When/if my daughter wants to remove hair from her legs, armpit, or bikini area, I'll recommend shaving until she's 16-ish and then I'll pay for laser treatments. I recently had laser treatments on these three areas and it was money well spent. As someone with sensitive pale skin and dark hair that needed to be shaved daily (or more in the summer), I am so happy to only shave once a week, if that, and still have smooth legs. I also have no more razor burn or ingrown hairs.

When/if my daughter wants to remove hair from her legs, armpit, or bikini area, I'll recommend shaving until she's 16-ish and then I'll pay for laser treatments. I recently had laser treatments on these three areas and it was money well spent. As someone with sensitive pale skin and dark hair that needed to be shaved daily (or more in the summer), I am so happy to only shave once a week, if that, and still have smooth legs. I also have no more razor burn or ingrown hairs.

Laser and you *still* have to shave?

MomOfOneFunOne Quote:

Originally Posted by msrift viewpost.gif

Laser and you *still* have to shave?

Yep, but I was quite hairy to begin with. ;) The laser targets hair in a certain growth stage, and on average only 20% of hair is in that stage at any one time. That is why you need to go back repeatedly at about 6 week intervals. The amount of hair I have now is dramatically less, and much finer than before. More peach fuzz than cactus. :001_smile: I shaved Sunday and my legs feel more like I shaved 6 hours ago. I'll probably be going back to try and laser off the remaining hair, but I can't right now since I'm pregnant.

I'll discourage DD from shaving and hopefully put it off a fair long while. I shave my pits but not my legs, because I get a nasty, itchy rash when I shave my legs that's far, far worse than being hairy. Gave it up for good when pg with DD.

What is threading?

If you wish to remove hair from your body, why not shave? I think shaving is quicker than waxing. I wouldn't want a child of mine slathering hair removal chemicals all over themselves.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I don't shave my legs ever. But I have so few leg hairs I just pluck out the dark ones. I shave my pits in the summer sometimes.

I told my girls to let me know when/if they wanted to start shaving, and I will give them some helpful tips to not cut themselves. Older dd started shaving at about 14, younger dd hasn't started yet, not sure if she will bother.

Waxing is not the same as depilatory creams. Veet and Nair have nasty chemicals and I would not want dd using those. Wax can be found natural or you can sugar. I would be comfortable with my dd using those as it does not necessarily have any nasty chemicals just read ingredients in case (you never know these days). They are messy though which is why I would prefer salon waxing/sugaring to home kits.

Shaving may be quicker but for people like me with dark thick fast growing hair the hair free silky smooth phase is so short lived it is futile. In order to have lasting results I would have to shave way too often and when I used to do that I suffered from irritated dry skin not silky smooth or pleasant.

DD and I have discussed the topic. We both agree that underarm hair removal usually is a good idea, because of body odor issues. She and I are in cheerful agreement that neither of us ever have heard complaints about unpleasant odor deriving from leg hair.

Logically this would mean dh's & ds's would have to remove underarm hair too, no?

& we should all go full brazilian?

BTW, I do know some men who wax or remove hair in other ways but it's not for this reason.

FWIW, IME not shaving underarms does not cause increased odor.

Really? What about men? Do they all stink?

I had a boy sitting next to me in a college English class who looked at my hairy leg and blurted out, "Women aren't supposed to have hair there!" I smiled sweetly at him and then raised my arm over my head to ask a question. Then I said, "I guess we're not supposed to have hair there either!"

Tara

:lol::lol::lol: