Menu

Alternatives to shaving, for legs?

I cannot imagine threading my legs! I'd rather wax and get a big chunk over with.

I thought body hair removal was popular for men. I don't see as many men with the big poofs of underarm hair. Although I've learned my lesson about appearing to look at someone's underarms. Yikes.

Really? What about men? Do they all stink?

I had a boy sitting next to me in a college English class who looked at my hairy leg and blurted out, "Women aren't supposed to have hair there!" I smiled sweetly at him and then raised my arm over my head to ask a question. Then I said, "I guess we're not supposed to have hair there either!"

Tara

Most men I know can get pretty stinky LOL but seriously it depends on how you sweat. Some people get smelly others don't. For those that do sweat a lot and have strong body odor hair will retain that odor. I am one of those and I know for a fact that even when it has only been a couple days from the last shaving if I don't shave again before there is 1/4 of an inch of hair my underarms retain the sweat odor making it stronger and harder to wash off.

I cannot imagine threading my legs! I'd rather wax and get a big chunk over with.

I thought body hair removal was popular for men. I don't see as many men with the big poofs of underarm hair. Although I've learned my lesson about appearing to look at someone's underarms. Yikes.

What in the world did you do?

When I was a child (around 7 or 8), I went with my parents to visit some of their friends. The woman was wearing a tank top. I was not looking at her underarms (I swear!), but she started in on a lecture about how she doesn't shave. I was taken aback because I honestly wasn't even thinking about her underarm hair! But it's not like I could have imagined that she did shave, anyhow, given the large amount of hair. I found that very off-putting. So I honestly don't care for activists on either side of this issue. We can see if you remove your hair or not, if you expose that body part, so I don't understand the big deal of telling people one way or the other. Sheesh.

I agree. There are many, many topics of conversation more suitable and interesting than whether or not people shave their armpits! But it sounds as though that woman had her own issues? I don't think anyone here is about to become a 'non-shaving activist'. But I think it's OK to remind people who ask for options that not doing it might be an option. It's good to be aware of all the options even if they don't interest you.

Edited by Hotdrink

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this, but it convinced me to try out epilating and now.......................... I have questions.

The first time hurt like a mug, but the second time is not going so well. So, people that can remember starting to epilate, does this get easier? All my hair wants to grow under the skin (I had to exfoliate and then use a pumice stone to get most of the hair up, but even now there's a ton of it just under the skin). Am I hopeless or is this par for the course?

I've tried waxing. Ouch. Too messy, took too long, and just did not get most of the hair (I ended up looking like I had mange or something). This worked great the first time, but now my hair's growing in wonky.

Help :(